Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
willing to bet corel is on that list somewhere

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

prefect posted:

can we get a copy of this poo poo list? :allears:

remember that one industry event ms did a while back where the invitation had a list of companies that weren't allowed to attend? and when attention was drawn to it they removed that little "keep these fuckers out" note?

that was most of it.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

duTrieux. posted:

remember that one industry event ms did a while back where the invitation had a list of companies that weren't allowed to attend? and when attention was drawn to it they removed that little "keep these fuckers out" note?

that was most of it.

http://www.citeworld.com/article/2156288/cloud-computing/article.html

Google, Salesforce, VMware, and Amazon

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

qirex posted:

msr spends billions and billions a year and their only visible work is:

OG giant surface table
photosynth
an onlive thing where it renders multiple button presses then send the right one down a video stream

their FPGA-based accelerator for their datacenter services is pretty neat and picked up a lot of press

employing Turing award winners Leslie Lamport and Chuck Thacker was cool, but they were at the silicon valley office so welp lol

anyway, tech transfer from research orgs isn't always "launch a new product". it also includes stuff like building a data race detector that integrates into the kernel build process or helping to define DirectCompute.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

computer parts posted:

maybe microsoft bought minecraft so they could use it for free

they wanted to turn it into an internal collaboration tool

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

duTrieux. posted:

that was most of it.

how is this the same company that had GWAR headline their directx launch

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

vmware? who hates vmware? :confused:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

prefect posted:

mikkkro$oft, a.k.a. hitler

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mishaq posted:

there's someone at my university researching whether we can use second life to replace chemistry labs so i wouldn't doubt it tbh

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

there's someone at my university researching whether we can use second life to replace chemistry labs so i wouldn't doubt it tbh

how do they still have funding after this long

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ahmeni posted:

i remember when second life was the most important thing in the world, according to wired magazine. they would not shut the gently caress up about it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the university i went to was having serious talks about its presence in second life for a while lol

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ahmeni posted:

because the university wants to push online courses so it can fit 12000 more engineers + whatever happens in other fields from natural growth and we're running out of room in our chem labs

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
tbh for non-related fields (so non-chemistry heavy majors) i could see it being a thing because you only really need a general knowledge and you're not ever going to use it again

they were pushing it for the chem major chemistry lab though and that's just sort of a recipe for disaster

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

qirex posted:

One of the casualties of the latest round of job cuts at Microsoft is the Microsoft Research (MSR) Silicon Valley lab.

have they fired james mickens? :ohdear:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

tbh for non-related fields (so non-chemistry heavy majors) i could see it being a thing because you only really need a general knowledge and you're not ever going to use it again

they were pushing it for the chem major chemistry lab though and that's just sort of a recipe for disaster

this is what everybody who has never actually seen what second life is like thinks
youd probably have better luck trying to put together something in unreal engine 4 than putting together anything sensible in second life

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

come to think of it a chemistry "sandbox" "game" would be pretty cool and could be a useful educational tool if done right

good luck getting the right people together and funding to develop something like that though

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

ahmeni posted:

how is this the same company that had GWAR headline their directx launch

what? that owns

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

computer parts posted:

lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

p sure trying to hold chemistry lectures in second life is about on the level of teaching physics in garry's mod

although the idea of the teacher killing themselves with a bathtub while trying to teach projectile motion is pretty lol

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

welcome to ethics 201, where we'll be doing a playthrough of spec ops: the line

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Blackula69 posted:

lol perfect

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

(the 101 class was a bioware game)

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Blackula69 posted:

what? that owns

lol yup

"http://www.shacknews.com/article/46338/alex-st-john-interview posted:

id brought Gwar, a pretty unhooked band, they brought in 8-foot tall vagina with a 100 penises hanging from it, OJ Simpson's severed head, all sorts of things among their other costumes. There was a guy with a 4-foot long schlong spraying blood and so forth, and I said, "If we're gonna do this, Microsoft has to suck it up. This is the games industry, let these guys do what they like. We're supporting an open market platform, we're not selling Nintendos where we control what people make, and if people have the perception that that's what Microsoft wants to do, they're going to lose credibility immediately. This is us supporting the game industry, and they're here supporting us."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

(the 101 class was a bioware game)

on your way to save the world there are some kittens on the side of the road! do you either:
1. kill the kittens
2. take a week off from saving the world to try and find homes for the kittens

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

prefect posted:

the same reason the other companies on their current poo poo-list are cloud computing companies; if companies can run their legacy enterprise garbage in some virtual machine ghetto then it becomes much easier to escape the windows ecosystem

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

gwar owns/owned :patriot:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

mishaq posted:

it is the new stack ranking system

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

putting classes on computers is a spectacular way to not learn poo poo

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

rip oderus

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

come to think of it a chemistry "sandbox" "game" would be pretty cool and could be a useful educational tool if done right

good luck getting the right people together and funding to develop something like that though
spacechem is as close as you'll get

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ahmeni posted:

lol your av/text

Last Chance posted:

the university i went to was having serious talks about its presence in second life for a while lol

lol the university i went to executed and spent non-insignificant amount of money for a presence in second life lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Blackula69 posted:

rip oderus

LONG LIVE VULVATRON

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao god drat that quote. weird that they used to have a clue

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

prefect posted: