Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

le capitan posted:

Just one warning.

but play it 30 times a second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
It might be irresponsible but I find it to be my moral imperative to add as many of those effects as possible to all my games.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Maybe I've watched way too much House, but 100% would put money that some hospital somewhere eventually ends up using Oculus Rift as an intentional seizure inducing device.

Call it Seizure Quest.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

superh posted:

It might be irresponsible but I find it to be my moral imperative to add as many of those effects as possible to all my games.

This reminds me to replay Electronic Super Joy.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

concerned mom posted:

Do you know how they were created? They look a bit like hand-drawn animated sprite sheets worked in to a particle system but I'm guessing it's more complicated than that?

I've done a couple minion armors (for those little robit things being exploded everywhere), I'm working on my first full character right now though, almost finished :D and yeah only been here less than 3 months so far so just trying to get used to the pipeline.

You pretty much nailed the FX pipeline. Although we had a old school 2D effects guy from disney come in and train our artists on how to draw really cool old school 2D effects like in some disney movies. Yeah, our FX are definitely one of my favorite parts of our gameplay, they're just so drat interesting and unique looking haha

ceebee fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 19, 2014

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Sigma-X posted:

but play it 30 times a second

You... I like you.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

ceebee posted:

I've done a couple minion armors (for those little robit things being exploded everywhere), I'm working on my first full character right now though, almost finished :D and yeah only been here less than 3 months so far so just trying to get used to the pipeline.

You pretty much nailed the FX pipeline. Although we had a old school 2D effects guy from disney come in and train our artists on how to draw really cool old school 2D effects like in some disney movies. Yeah, our FX are definitely one of my favorite parts of our gameplay, they're just so drat interesting and unique looking haha

Congrats mate, post your characters in the CG thread if you're allowed! I thought so with the FX, they just look too drat good to be some kind of shader thing. Right, I just need to find my own Disney-level animator..

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Hey guys, I work at Chucklefish as an artist. Initially on Starbound, but now we have our own dedicated team working on our new pirate game, Wayward Tide. Not sure why I haven't posted in this thread for a while!

If any London goons are looking for work in the industry, we just put up a job listing for a Tools Developer. Working here is a joy, and I want to help out some fellow goons! :v:

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

leper khan posted:

If I'm working on a game that is unusually seizure inducing, do I have an ethical imperative to quit or at least reduce the :catdrugs: as much as possible? Where does the line get drawn when you're fairly confident that it will kill someone if it gains traction in the marketplace?

Will Apple even allow an app that flashes the whole screen different bright colors at 30/second for a few minutes? (This is not hyperbolic it is literally what the application specifications state to do.)

Is the flashing as bad as Transformers: Mystery of Convoy?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Supernorn posted:

Hey guys, I work at Chucklefish as an artist. Initially on Starbound, but now we have our own dedicated team working on our new pirate game, Wayward Tide. Not sure why I haven't posted in this thread for a while!

If any London goons are looking for work in the industry, we just put up a job listing for a Tools Developer. Working here is a joy, and I want to help out some fellow goons! :v:
Oooh, love the style of Wayward Tide. Look forward to playing it some day!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

SAHChandler posted:

Is the flashing as bad as Transformers: Mystery of Convoy?

It's being used to send data to hardware. It's literally a minute+ of full screen color swaps at 30 frames.

Not sure how bad transformers was, but it's similar to the banned episode of pokemon, except that episode only flashed colors for 8 seconds or so.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

leper khan posted:

It's being used to send data to hardware. It's literally a minute+ of full screen color swaps at 30 frames.

Not sure how bad transformers was, but it's similar to the banned episode of pokemon, except that episode only flashed colors for 8 seconds or so.

This isn't a problem or a safety hazard, it's an opportunity.

You aren't seeing the opportunity to market a safety shroud - a $15 retail drawstring bag with a $0.25 manufacturing cost that you put your phone in, and then put over the optical sensor that the hardware you're interfacing with is using.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Sigma-X posted:

This isn't a problem or a safety hazard, it's an opportunity.

You aren't seeing the opportunity to market a safety shroud - a $15 retail drawstring bag with a $0.25 manufacturing cost that you put your phone in, and then put over the optical sensor that the hardware you're interfacing with is using.

I can see why you transitioned to the business side of game dev.

E. Thanks phone

leper khan fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 19, 2014

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Game Concepting is hard. :psylon:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

ceebee posted:

I feel like between all the artists in here, someone maybe knows of a tutorial that at least begins to touch on that style of FX?

We did a TINY amount of it in LEGO Universe, but it was entirely the domain of one FX tech artist (who also came from film, and is now back in film - he was a senior on Frozen :D). I'd really like to get some sense of how the heck to make good... I don't even know what you'd call them. Toon sword swooshes instead of less cool particle-trail approaches? Explosions that don't just look like a cloud? Etc. "all those effects you can do with particle flip books and the like instead of all particles being circles or squares"

Not sure how much of it I could do as a non-artist, but a tutorial as a place to start would still be awesome.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

ceebee posted:

I wish! I joined the company less than 3 months ago but so far it's been an amazing place to work. Especially compared to my last two companies. I'm finally in an environment where creativity is fostered instead of hampered by dumb politics and lovely management.

The preview looks awesome!

I'm also super happy that you found a good work environment that lets you actually be an artist- congratulations!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Frown Town posted:

The preview looks awesome!

I'm also super happy that you found a good work environment that lets you actually be an artist- congratulations!

Thanks! :) How's your endeavors going?

@Shalinor

It is essentially all just spritesheets. The artists here use photoshop and layer by layer animate them on top of one another, and then of course it get's assembled as a gridded out spritesheet which unreal can interpolate pretty nicely.

Another example of some of this is the game Dragon's Nest the MMO, the game is garbage but their effects are really cool anime stylized stuff. Not just soft particles like mentioned above (or in like 90% of games these days).

http://www.amazon.com/Elemental-Magic-Volume-Special-Animation/dp/0240811631

This is a great resource for the different kind of effects. Gives some examples of water, fire, etc. That can be related to pretty much any other kind of effect. There's a Volume 2 as well, I don't have that book but I'll probably pick it up soon :D

I think spritesheets are going to make a huge comeback in stylized games. Either that or more stylized cel shaded particles, the newly announced Gigantic game has some pretty FX that I'm pretty sure are just stylized 3d particles, maybe not so much spritesheets.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
gave my two weeks notice this week. Ooof that was tough. Feels super odd leaving a dream job.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

SGT. Squeaks posted:

gave my two weeks notice this week. Ooof that was tough. Feels super odd leaving a dream job.

You're leaving it for even dreamier pastures, though, right?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Yeah. I love where I'm at, but we are super small with no real growth planned. One of those things that if I didn't take I would always wonder what if. Going from a lead 3d artist at a studio of 10 to a lead environment artist at a studio of 200.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 20, 2014

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Yeah. I was in your position six months ago and it still feels weird, but I'm super happy I did it so far!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

OneEightHundred posted:

e: Given where we are, I guess I need to start investing in the great JRPG revival coming in 10 years. :downs:

Real talk, it'll be far less than ten years. I actually think, legitimately, that we're currently in the early swell of the wave.

Not only is Japanese development itself starting to find its legs again after a real struggle adapting to HD development, but a whole lot of the "JRPG kids", especially the ones who cut their teeth on the likes of Final Fantasy VII, are entering the workforce in substantial numbers. Us old-school, FF1/DQ1/Phantasy Star-era fans, like myself or, say, Robert Boyd, have been working for years now.

You are going to see a shitload of influence from those games in future projects in some form or another for the next decade. I guarantee it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

SpaceDrake posted:

Real talk, it'll be far less than ten years. I actually think, legitimately, that we're currently in the early swell of the wave.

Not only is Japanese development itself starting to find its legs again after a real struggle adapting to HD development, but a whole lot of the "JRPG kids", especially the ones who cut their teeth on the likes of Final Fantasy VII, are entering the workforce in substantial numbers. Us old-school, FF1/DQ1/Phantasy Star-era fans, like myself or, say, Robert Boyd, have been working for years now.

You are going to see a shitload of influence from those games in future projects in some form or another for the next decade. I guarantee it.
Well, a broader revival has some challenges to get through, which I think should be proven by the fact that the same developers have been trying to make that goose lay another golden egg for 17 years now. A lot of what made FF7 successful in particular were historical factors that are no longer true, i.e. it was one of the first games that really felt like a big-budget game (coming out right after CD-ROMs really made that possible) and it had a very compelling story at a time when story in video games was barely even a thing.

I'll wait and see, the indie scene might be able to leverage it, but early-90's JRPGs had some very harsh limitations and there are probably better ways to make a game designed to tell a story. Barkley looks neat, but the fake seriousness of the JRPG trappings are part of the joke for it, so I don't know if that'd translate well to something serious.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

OneEightHundred posted:

Well, a broader revival has some challenges to get through, which I think should be proven by the fact that the same developers have been trying to make that goose lay another golden egg for 17 years now. A lot of what made FF7 successful in particular were historical factors that are no longer true, i.e. it was one of the first games that really felt like a big-budget game (coming out right after CD-ROMs really made that possible) and it had a very compelling story at a time when story in video games was barely even a thing.

I'll wait and see, the indie scene might be able to leverage it, but early-90's JRPGs had some very harsh limitations and there are probably better ways to make a game designed to tell a story. Barkley looks neat, but the fake seriousness of the JRPG trappings are part of the joke for it, so I don't know if that'd translate well to something serious.

I think that expecting jRPGs to have a revival because of an aging-up of people who loved them is like expecting Adventure games to have had a huge revival 10 years ago. It doesn't matter how much creators love them if there's not much of a market.

I think, weirdly enough, that the Wii had a huge hand in killing jRPGs as a genre. The PS2 allowed them to flourish because:
1. It had a huge install base
2. It was very popular in Japan

The last generation didn't have a system where you could guarantee massive sales in Japan for a long, long time. The 360 was console-sales dominant for a very, very long time before the PS3 really caught up, and the Wii wasn't in a market position for people to buy non-casual titles. So for Japanese developers, it was release on
a.the weak system where your game won't sell (but has a huge install base)
b. the powerful system that has a miniscule install base globally
c. the powerful system where you can't sell any games to the eastern market (and whose install base isn't that great).

Also, high art production value is the most key part to any revival and expensive art = risky project.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
I have no idea why you would expect there's some generational JRPG surge coming. The golden age for JRPGs was the SNES and that's about 20 years old; the majority of people who had one as a kid are entering the prime of their career, not entering the workforce.

If you want to argue that JRPGs could make a comeback the fact that they play well on touchscreens is a way more relevant fact.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Paniolo posted:

I have no idea why you would expect there's some generational JRPG surge coming. The golden age for JRPGs was the SNES and that's about 20 years old; the majority of people who had one as a kid are entering the prime of their career, not entering the workforce.
The PS2 had an absolutely huge number of the things, as well. While my jRPG experience is all from '92-96 or so, there really were only a handful of major titles, and (especially in the west) the genre wasn't selling like crazy.

The PS2 had things like .Hack where they were totally comfortable releasing, what, 6 games in a series?, and expecting them all to sell. It wasn't until the Wii/360/PS3 generation that there weren't a ton of B-level jRPGs coming out all the time.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Paniolo posted:

If you want to argue that JRPGs could make a comeback the fact that they play well on touchscreens is a way more relevant fact.
This. Arguably, we've already seen the surge.

Remember that push about 5 years ago when everything got RPG mechanics stapled onto it? When suddenly, games started getting overly complicated stats and whatnot crammed into them regardless of genre? - Guess what is the primary hallmark of JRPGs, aside from polish/content? :haw:

The next surge - what happens when all these kids that grew up on Minecraft start entering the workforce - THAT'S going to be a drat interesting one. You've seen how much the retro/pixel-art stuff has colored the industry, and I can't wait to see how these kids incorporate building et al play into games in a more widespread way. I'll be a fossil by then, so I guess my goal needs to be to be stable enough to employ a fleet of those bright kids and just ride their coattails / watch for and fund the good idea, whee.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 22, 2014

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

theflyingorc posted:

I think that expecting jRPGs to have a revival because of an aging-up of people who loved them is like expecting Adventure games to have had a huge revival 10 years ago. It doesn't matter how much creators love them if there's not much of a market.

Mind that I'm talking about people making such games. Selling well, who knows, though I suspect there'll be more than a few gems or I wouldn't be in this business at all. :v:

So is there a market? No clue. But are there tons of new designers, programmers and whatnot entering the labor force who were hugely influenced by those games and are going to apply what they learned and probably try to make their own takes on the genre, on both sides of the Pacific? Hell, I can point at examples already.

quote:

I think, weirdly enough, that the Wii had a huge hand in killing jRPGs as a genre. The PS2 allowed them to flourish because:
1. It had a huge install base
2. It was very popular in Japan

The last generation didn't have a system where you could guarantee massive sales in Japan for a long, long time. The 360 was console-sales dominant for a very, very long time before the PS3 really caught up, and the Wii wasn't in a market position for people to buy non-casual titles. So for Japanese developers, it was release on
a.the weak system where your game won't sell (but has a huge install base)
b. the powerful system that has a miniscule install base globally
c. the powerful system where you can't sell any games to the eastern market (and whose install base isn't that great).

Or d. sell on portables, which outsold all the set-tops combined. :v:

The Japanese market has been a strange beast for a while now, and the development community is only now figuring out answers to the question of how to deal with the fact that the Japanese have pretty much chosen to go hard in for handhelds while the rest of the world is significantly more lukewarm about them.

Edit:

Shalinor posted:

Remember that push about 5 years ago when everything got RPG mechanics stapled onto it? When suddenly, games started getting overly complicated stats and whatnot crammed into them regardless of genre? - Guess what is the primary hallmark of JRPGs, aside from polish/content? :haw:

This is part of what I've been talking about, and admittedly, yes, it's been happening for a while :v:

But a lot more of the "younger" JRPG fans, the ones who were grade schoolers for the PS1 FFs and grew up on FFX and the heady diet of the PS2, are now hitting their mid-to-upper-20s and are reaching places of actual influence in various companies or even starting their own. I don't think you've seen an end of the influence by a long, long mile yet.

quote:

The next surge - what happens when all these kids that grew up on Minecraft start entering the workforce - THAT'S going to be a drat interesting one. You've seen how much the retro/pixel-art stuff has colored the industry, and I can't wait to see how these kids incorporate building et al play into games in a more widespread way. I'll be a fossil by then, so I guess my goal needs to be to be stable enough to employ a fleet of those bright kids and just ride their coattails / watch for and fund the good idea, whee.

Yeah, Minecraft's generational influence won't be paying off for another 15-20 years, most likely, and that'll be interesting to watch. I still dunno how much real influence it'll have, but it'll unquestionably be there and I'm curious to see how it influences people's idea of "game".

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 22, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Shalinor posted:

That's partially because we call anything where you have stats of some sort "containing RPG elements". Half of them aren't anymore RPG influenced than Kid Icarus, where you save up currency to buy items that increase your survivability and damage output.

Hell, I'm sure you can find an article that says Crackdown has "RPG elements" because your kicking levels up as you kick.

It's my least favorite game descriptor because it doesn't really tell you anything about the game and you can stick it on almost any release if you feel like it.

SpaceDrake posted:

Mind that I'm talking about people making such games. Selling well, who knows, though I suspect there'll be more than a few gems or I wouldn't be in this business at all. :v:

So is there a market? No clue. But are there tons of new designers, programmers and whatnot entering the labor force who were hugely influenced by those games and are going to apply what they learned and probably try to make their own takes on the genre, on both sides of the Pacific? Hell, I can point at examples already.
I'm more than willing to concede the point if you can show that similar things happened with Adventure games. :)

I think you'll see some things in the indie space, but big budget games just aren't influenced from the ground up like that - love of a genre can help you influence what you're working on, but it won't make a new game from whole cloth.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 22, 2014

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I don't think there is too much room for Minecraft inspired games to become a genre such as JRPGs. I mean, there are certainly possibilities for more design ramifications and we have even seen some of them already in games like Terraria, but they seem more limited in comparison. It's like how there are Legos and "not-legos." Meanwhile, JRPGs would be more aching to books where you can read a bunch of them with different stories and styles.

On the other hand, I could easily see Minecraft mechanics seeping into other genres in the future. More procedural and user created content, open worlds, collaborative gameplay and so on.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I'm more than willing to concede the point if you can show that similar things happened with Adventure games. :)

I think you'll see some things in the indie space, but big budget games just aren't influenced from the ground up like that - love of a genre can help you influence what you're working on, but it won't make a new game from whole cloth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syberia
http://www.brokenagegame.com/
http://www.texmurphy.com/
https://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead/
http://www.aksysgames.com/999/
http://www.capcom.com/phoenixwright/
http://fullbright.company/gonehome/

The point is made, hopefully. :v:

Though I think there might also be a crossed wire here - I'm not just talking about big-budget, although when I said "entering the industry" I can see how it might've been taken that way. The Industry™ is a lot bigger than that these days, though, so a lot of the people I'm talking about will definitely end up indie.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SpaceDrake posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syberia
http://www.brokenagegame.com/
http://www.texmurphy.com/
https://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead/
http://www.aksysgames.com/999/
http://www.capcom.com/phoenixwright/
http://fullbright.company/gonehome/

The point is made, hopefully. :v:

Though I think there might also be a crossed wire here - I'm not just talking about big-budget, although when I said "entering the industry" I can see how it might've been taken that way. The Industry™ is a lot bigger than that these days, though, so a lot of the people I'm talking about will definitely end up indie.

Sure, and I think we were headed towards agreement there - the Indie, or Very Close To Indie space (Telltale, Double Fine) is where those games are having influence. I think that jRPGs will have less legs because high production values are kinda a big part of the POINT, and it's difficult to make a small, compact jRPG sorta by definition.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
Kickstarter and Steam and other developments in the PC markets are allowing lots of formerly dead genres to enjoy a bit of a renaissance. Party-based CRPGs, adventure games, space sims and JRPGs are all doing reasonably well. If that's all you're suggesting then yeah, definitely, though that's no different than any other genre.

But it sounded like you're saying that you expect jRPGs to enjoy a revival, or at least a wave of influence, in more mainstream and big buget titles, and that I'm skeptical of. How exactly do you think a jRPG influence is going to manifest?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Any general thoughts here on rooted vs non-rooted animation movement?

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007

Brackhar posted:

Any general thoughts here on rooted vs non-rooted animation movement?

I assume you mean whether your animation directly drives your motion or not? It depends a lot on your type of game. Networking and "twitch" gameplay can be good reasons not to use animation-driven movement. Animation-driven movement can leave you with a character that controls like a tank if you're not careful.

I think it also depends what your team structure is like. If you have designers who are happy to dive into animation tools and animators who are happy to let them, you won't be bottlenecked by animation when prototyping funky gameplay. If you're more programmer-heavy or your designers prefer scripting/tweaking numbers in your engine over animating, those can be good reasons to go for code-driven movement.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Bizarro Buddha posted:

I assume you mean whether your animation directly drives your motion or not? It depends a lot on your type of game. Networking and "twitch" gameplay can be good reasons not to use animation-driven movement. Animation-driven movement can leave you with a character that controls like a tank if you're not careful.

I think it also depends what your team structure is like. If you have designers who are happy to dive into animation tools and animators who are happy to let them, you won't be bottlenecked by animation when prototyping funky gameplay. If you're more programmer-heavy or your designers prefer scripting/tweaking numbers in your engine over animating, those can be good reasons to go for code-driven movement.

Yeah, we're just starting prototyping now, and it's a discussion going on in the office. I've always used non-root motion animation, so I have little exposure to the pros and cons of the workflow for doing root motion instead. We are spinning up a multi-player prototype, but as far as I can see it looks like UE4 has support for replicating root-motion data to clients.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007

Brackhar posted:

Yeah, we're just starting prototyping now, and it's a discussion going on in the office. I've always used non-root motion animation, so I have little exposure to the pros and cons of the workflow for doing root motion instead. We are spinning up a multi-player prototype, but as far as I can see it looks like UE4 has support for replicating root-motion data to clients.

For an MP game I would definitely make root motion the exception rather than the norm. UE4 has support for replicating a single non-dynamic montage, not replicating a blend tree that outputs root motion. (In fact you can't even use a blend tree that outputs root motion in a non-networked game out of the box, but that's a separate issue.)

I think UE4's root motion replication support is intended for "special moves". Think of replicating a root-motion-powered dodge or something. I haven't used it in anger, but I would expect it to almost always have network corrections at the beginning and end of montages, which will be a problem to a greater or lesser degree depending on your animations and your overall networking strategy.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Brackhar posted:

Bear in mind that you can use root motion from AnimMontages but you currently can't use root motion from the state machine or blends. And you definitely do not want to deal with animation driven movement without those proper state machine. They are in the works, ETA Soon (Epic Time), so don't rely on that just yet.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Jan posted:

Bear in mind that you can use root motion from AnimMontages but you currently can't use root motion from the state machine or blends. And you definitely do not want to deal with animation driven movement without those proper state machine. They are in the works, ETA Soon (Epic Time), so don't rely on that just yet.

Good to know, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Brackhar posted:

For Nosgoth we ended up moving away from default Root Motion replication (albeit UE3, YMMV) and creating our own root motion state that reads the animation's motion data and sets the pawn's velocity based on it.

A problem with stock root motion behavior in Unreal is that it doesn't play nice with other environmental factors. A good use case we ran into was root motion dodge rolling. Root motion is ideal for that sort of behavior because you may not want the character to move linearly for the duration of the roll and the animators can easily animate the root bone with the character as they roll and recover. But when you roll off of a ledge, for instance, you want gravity to also apply to the player's velocity. If I remember correctly, by default you "roll in space" and gravity does not apply until the animation has terminated.

In general my philosophy would be to avoid it in most cases in a multiplayer game because it can be limiting: both in how you blend between animations and states, and how the player can influence their own movement. To me, heavy emphasis on root-driven animation seems like a workflow for a cinematic game with a heavy emphasis on realistic movement. For MP, erring on the side of player control and responsiveness over accuracy wins out IMO, albeit to our animators' regular dismay.

tl;dr I would agree with the others, use it sparingly and when necessary and it can be useful, but competitive MP is typically better off defaulting to non-root.

icking fudiot fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 23, 2014