Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice

Tracula posted:

Of course CherryCat is suspicious of carrots :tinfoil:

I'm Scottish, the only vegetables I trust are potatoes, and occasionally turnips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

CherryCat posted:

I'm Scottish, the only vegetables I trust are potatoes, and occasionally turnips.

Even then, they'd have to be fried.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Broenheim posted:

mods change my name to professor furry cheeks

Why do you have a special gold medal instead of a grenade????

(It also doesn't work if you're wearing a gray shirt. Like I am.)

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

SteveVizsla posted:

Why do you have a special gold medal instead of a grenade????

(It also doesn't work if you're wearing a gray shirt. Like I am.)

I think there was a thread where you post in it and you either get one of a few special icons, or you get banned.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hallo spacedog posted:

Unless the aliens have been watching too much anime or Godzilla instead, in which case Tokyo is hosed.

Are you kidding? If aliens loved anime enough to watch that much of it, you really think they'd go to Japan for anything other than to visit creepy maid cafes?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

The White Dragon posted:

Are you kidding? If aliens loved anime enough to watch that much of it, you really think they'd go to Japan for anything other than to visit creepy maid cafes?

I dunno, I can imagine an army hellbent on invading Japan as watching anime daily as a Two Minutes Hate kind of thing.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
In Juan's comment toward the end, I love his/her "plants saved my life" quip. Now I'm just imagining a celery stalk and an eggplant finding him as a baby and raising him like the pack of wolves did Mowgli.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Kavak posted:

So what was the smell?

Elizabeth itself, according to my New Yorker friends.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Some people posting in this thread like that Times Square being a tourist haven is a big secret and only "real" New Yorkers know this. If you believe that, I've got some hot info on London you'll just eat up! Did you know that Trafalgar Square is also a tourist area? You won't find this kind of underground news anywhere else online!

(Everyone I talked to in NYC was super nice, and we made friends everywhere we went).

Times Square is great if you're the sort who buys souvenir t-shirts and takes selfies in front of ground zero.

As far as New Yorkers being nice, the "New Yorkers/New Jerseyans are rude as poo poo" stereotype definitely didn't hold water for me. Philadelphians can take a flying gently caress at a rolling donut in that department though.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Koala Food posted:

I thought the conversation was going to go in a totally different direction after the second image...

Detox diets are the stupidest goddamn things. What do people think they have a liver for? I had a coworker once who went on a 7 day all apples detox diet, and by day 2-3 she looked like absolute hell; couldn't keep her eyes all the way open, looked like she had aged years, dark circles under her eyes, and was unable to really think straight. Surprise!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Psychobabble! posted:

Detox diets are the stupidest goddamn things. What do people think they have a liver for? I had a coworker once who went on a 7 day all apples detox diet, and by day 2-3 she looked like absolute hell; couldn't keep her eyes all the way open, looked like she had aged years, dark circles under her eyes, and was unable to really think straight. Surprise!

But her body was purged of toxins, right? :v:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Psychobabble! posted:

It's particularly hilarious because apples are almost pure sugar, a goodly portion of that being fructose which is actually really bad for you in excess since it's metabolism is weird and it can cause a spike in blood triglycerides. Sure there's some vitamins and poo poo and a little bit of fibre, but in terms of nutrition there's not that big of a difference between a bushel of apples and a vat of HFCS with a couple of vitamin tablets thrown in (in fact MORE of the sugar in apples is fructose than in HFCS). The occasional apple is fine, but a straight up all apple diet? Might as well just be downing cola.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Times Square is great if you're the sort who buys souvenir t-shirts and takes selfies in front of ground zero.

Oh, I'm absolutely neither. I'm the type who wants to, for the majority of my visit, do what the locals would do - the music, the places to eat and the bars. Didn't have time to do things like Empire State Building (although I walked past it by accident so took a quick snapshot) or the Statue of Liberty because it's so incredibly time consuming. But hey, we're walking back from Colbert and Times Square is so goddamned central to NYC that you're just as likely to go through it as not, so hey. It's the type of place you see on TV and the movies a million times, and it doesn't cost more than a bit of your time so why not.

But hey, I nearly got on a train to Coney just because of The Warriors so don't trust my opinion on anything.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Psychobabble! posted:

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. An acquaintance of mine whose family is into the same kind of thing had a period where they'd ingest some kind of volcanic ash/soil, with the idea being that it'd settle into the liver and purge free radicals or some poo poo. Eating literal dirt and paying a premium for it :psyduck:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Psychobabble! posted:

I had a lot of stomach problems in my teens, so there were many time when I would go a day or so without eating anything other than some crackers or something small. Then I got the flu in addition to bad side-effects from a medicine I was trying so I ended up on an accidental 7 day fast basically. I can't imagine doing this voluntarily or thinking it would help with anything. You look and feel like you're dying all the time. In addition to that, the hunger you feel is pure torture because that's when you notice there is food everywhere and huge chunk of most social lives revolve around it.

Shockingly enough, even though I was probably thoroughly purged of toxins after a year or so of this, it didn't magically cure me of anything! I did get a lot better when I found nutritious foods I could handle. :monocle:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Does anyone have a list of the people in the NFL being brought up on domestic violence this year handy? According to my mom (I'm not big on sports) all of them are black and I'm curious on if that's true or not.

They are. The NFL is 70% black, so it's not just your mom making racist assumptions.

White NFL players have gotten in their share of trouble in recent years (Richie Incognito, Riley Cooper, Ben Roethlisberger), but none of it happened to be domestic violence (bullying, racism and sexual assault in these respective cases).

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
If anyone gets any of those 'Spanking never did me any harm' type pro-spanking people, feel free to use this to see if you can get them to at least feel a bit awkward about their spanking their kids:

:nws: http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...g_children.html :nws:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Scottish Independence: It Was Rigged edition. Someone on FB just posted up a 'proof' video of vote rigging, by a YT channel called Elite NWO Agenda. Obviously, YT comments are low-hanging fruit, but I did particularly like this little gem...

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Notably, the building that kept having the fire alarm pulled went hard for Yes. Guess the NWO needs to fire those operatives.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Had this video show up on my feed HILARIOUS MORTAL KOMBAT ELEVATOR PRANK it sure is super hilarious how this dude dressed up in a costume and acted like he was going to punch strangers its just so ZOMG monkeycheese random!

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
One of my friends just posted this:

This is the face of the biggest f'ing a'hole that walks the earth. He has been doing nothing but a'hole moves since he took Taylor swifts mic while she was give her award acceptance speech.

http://dailycurrant.com/2014/09/17/kanye-scores-106-points-against-wheelchair-basketball-team/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Daily Currant is so lame.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Murphys Law posted:

One of my friends just posted this:

This is the face of the biggest f'ing a'hole that walks the earth. He has been doing nothing but a'hole moves since he took Taylor swifts mic while she was give her award acceptance speech.

http://dailycurrant.com/2014/09/17/kanye-scores-106-points-against-wheelchair-basketball-team/

I'm going to assume that people like this think that there is only 1 satire/comedy fake news site. So if it isn't The Onion it has to be real.

Either that or there is some "2 minutes of hate" search engine that I don't know about where people put in the name of someone they hate and it just pulls up any and all articles confirming that they are indeed terrible, regardless of whether it's true or not.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

This guy is overtly racist, legitimately believes all muslims to be terrorists and posts about voting UKIP. It's strange to see the sentiment of "If you're born in England, you're English) coming from him.

edit: Is something up with imgur? The screen shot is coming up weirdly huge, despite re-uploading.

Tea Bone has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Sep 19, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tea Bone posted:

This guy is overtly racist, legitimately believes all muslims to be terrorists and posts about voting UKIP. It's strange to see the sentiment of "If you're born in England, you're English) coming from him.

edit: Is something up with imgur? The screen shot is coming up weirdly hue, despite re-uploading.

Well, denying the Scottish their heritage seems appropriate for a racist Brit.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The obvious reason is because Scottish people are white. Is England as bad socially as the US? I see racist British stuff here but is it as prevalent the UK as here? A question I have always wondered

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

CherryCat posted:

A whole bunch of people on Facebook have put up statuses about pretending to be a carrot, any insight as to what bullshit that's about?

If you "like" it, they will then private-message you to explain that you have lost their game, and are now obliged to post the same carrot status on your page and nominate any of your friends who then like your status. It's just a hey-let's-make-this-go-viral silly game.

My sister-in-law caught me with it, but I'm not going to perpetuate the silliness because I'm a grumpy old man. :bahgawd:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Maybe I don't get it because I'm a dumb American, but isn't Scotland part of Britain?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The obvious reason is because Scottish people are white. Is England as bad socially as the US? I see racist British stuff here but is it as prevalent the UK as here? A question I have always wondered

While not a utopia, I don't think race is such a big issue as it is in the US - certainly not the black:white issues that the US seems to suffer from.

Apart from the extremists, the racism is of the 'coming over here, taking our jobs' attitude which is directed at the country de jour and fresh immigrants, rather that at people born and raised here, who happen to have darker skin.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tea Bone posted:

edit: Is something up with imgur? The screen shot is coming up weirdly huge, despite re-uploading.

So argue back that all the gypsies Muslims born in the UK are English. :smuggo:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

kazil posted:

Maybe I don't get it because I'm a dumb American, but isn't Scotland part of Britain?

Yes, but they didn't exactly choose to join the party. A ton of Scots think Britain hasn't been concerned at all with Scottish interests, and mainly use them for the benefit of England. Most Scots who wanted to stay part of Britain really didn't disagree, either, it's just that the benefits of being incorporated outweigh the cost even with all of the bullshit.

Scots have their own culture, as do the Irish, English, and Welsh. They just hold together because England was super loving strong way back when and through either conquest or pragmatism they formed a collective nation.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yes, but they didn't exactly choose to join the party. A ton of Scots think Britain hasn't been concerned at all with Scottish interests, and mainly use them for the benefit of England. Most Scots who wanted to stay part of Britain really didn't disagree, either, it's just that the benefits of being incorporated outweigh the cost even with all of the bullshit.

Scots have their own culture, as do the Irish, English, and Welsh. They just hold together because England was super loving strong way back when and through either conquest or pragmatism they formed a collective nation.

No, like I get that part. But when they say Scots are British, isn't that by default?

Can you guys just sort your poo poo out already?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I don't think any Scots would argue that they are not British in the sense of being from the isle of Great Britain, but they would object to the idea that this means they must always and forever be British in the sense of being subjects of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, often colloquially called 'Britain'. This person seems to think they should.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

made of bees posted:

I don't think any Scots would argue that they are not British in the sense of being from the isle of Great Britain, but they would object to the idea that this means they must always and forever be British in the sense of being subjects of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, often colloquially called 'Britain'. This person seems to think they should.

I don't really know what he's trying to argue. It starts off although he's saying; even if your scottish, you're also still British. Then he makes the comment about "even if both of your parents are Scottish", so he seems to be angry at English people saying their scottish, but getting "Brittish" and "English" mixed up.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

kazil posted:

No, like I get that part. But when they say Scots are British, isn't that by default?

Can you guys just sort your poo poo out already?

The problem is that this guy is trivializing the Scottish identity. You're not Scottish, you're BRITISH. Basically imagine if someone said you couldn't identify as being from a specific state and that your cultural identity HAD to be American. Hell, the divides are even greater. We're not talking different parts of the same country here, we're talking separate countries that happen to be banded together.

Basically you don't know poo poo about the problem so stop running your mouth and acting like it's a trivial thing.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Kind of reminds me of when I was in Austria doing an intensive German language course mostly filled with Turks, and I said aloud to the Mexican guy next to me, "Hey, we're the only North Americans in this class!" and he replied something along the lines of "I don't know about that :) "

E: I should clarify my ancestors came to America from Germany and Norway in the 1870s, and the Mexican was from one of those Nuahatl speaking regions.

Jedi Knight Luigi has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Sep 19, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Here's a guide.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Henchman of Santa posted:

They are. The NFL is 70% black, so it's not just your mom making racist assumptions.

White NFL players have gotten in their share of trouble in recent years (Richie Incognito, Riley Cooper, Ben Roethlisberger), but none of it happened to be domestic violence (bullying, racism and sexual assault in these respective cases).

And Aaron Hernandez committing murder!

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

canyoneer posted:

Here's a guide.

Why are England and Wales together in an unnamed circle that Scotland isn't part of?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Because Scotland is not a part of England, it is a part of Great Britain and the UK. England is just that area that you think of "English" or "British" people living

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Slime posted:

The problem is that this guy is trivializing the Scottish identity. You're not Scottish, you're BRITISH. Basically imagine if someone said you couldn't identify as being from a specific state and that your cultural identity HAD to be American. Hell, the divides are even greater. We're not talking different parts of the same country here, we're talking separate countries that happen to be banded together.

The United States are several separate countries banded together.

• Locked thread