Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chucklefish ran over my dog for tax reasons and then waved their overpaid dog at me out of the window of their solid gold car bought with kickstarter money to taunt me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Leafy Wall posted:

You say that like it's an excuse when it's just evidence of CF being incompetent.

This is true. Here's how it works:
"Alpha" quality games are the worst and usually the domain of shovelware and fly-by-night "indie" companies that have no clue what they're doing.
"Beta" quality games are usually much better and often made by a team with some actual development caliber.
"Gold" (a bastardization of "gamma", the next letter in this sequence) is used to reference really high-quality, AAA games that are produced by expert designers for optimal enjoyment.

Chucklefish is a cut-rate developer and that's why their games are in alpha! I hope that clarifies things.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hey, how will I ever impress the internet if I don't act sufficiently enraged about the state of a video game?

How will you impress the devs if you don't stand strong with them in this time of conflict.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'd play more Starbound if I wasn't playing Cube World so much.
Now there's a well-supported game!

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Devour or Fire posted:

How will you impress the devs if you don't stand strong with them in this time of conflict.

#StandWithChuckleFish

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011

Dibujante posted:

Chucklefish is a cut-rate developer and that's why their games are in alpha! I hope that clarifies things.

Cut rate is right. That's why they sold their game as Beta and spent the past year lying about it while relying on people like you to defend them. I'm sure they care for your sacrifice.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
I don't actually think Chucklefish has been actively lying.

They have however been massively incompetent and should not be taken for their word.

They've overstepped their Starboundaries.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Even if they make progression less painful in stable or whenever, thinking that strictly gating ores, dropping ores and bars on death, and removing sand harvesting were good ideas in the first place is pretty dumb in my opinion!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dibujante posted:

This is true. Here's how it works:
"Alpha" quality games are the worst and usually the domain of shovelware and fly-by-night "indie" companies that have no clue what they're doing.
"Beta" quality games are usually much better and often made by a team with some actual development caliber.
"Gold" (a bastardization of "gamma", the next letter in this sequence) is used to reference really high-quality, AAA games that are produced by expert designers for optimal enjoyment.

No no no, alpha games are the best games, the leader games, the games everyone likes. Beta games are the losers who nobody likes.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

OwlFancier posted:

No no no, alpha games are the best games, the leader games, the games everyone likes. Beta games are the losers who nobody likes.

P sure Betas are the Dating sims and Fedora-core games.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Magmarashi posted:

It is important that at least half a page of posts be dedicated to repeating the same handful of complaints as the last page, otherwise the thread isn't edgy enough

Perhaps if there was a good aspect to the game, someone would post about it

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
Did this game ever come out or is it still in a perpetual state of scam n scram?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

the night dad posted:

Did this game ever come out or is it still in a perpetual state of scam n scram?

Come back in another year.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
This thread has a weird definition of "scam."

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

packetmantis posted:

This thread has a weird definition of "scam."

The scam is that they took the money and ran, but they've rented out an office and hired a team of developers to produce and release a game as a very involved way of keeping us from realizing that they're absconding with the money. It's a front, you see.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Dibujante posted:

...but they've rented out an office and hired a team of developers...

Good thing they did that, otherwise we'd be going months without updates.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Kly posted:

Good thing they did that, otherwise we'd be going months without updates.

You must have been miserable in the 90s when you couldn't play a game at all between when it was announced and when it was released. Imagine!

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I'm sure this will dissuade the trolls and :tinfoil:'s

Starbound Health Check:
http://blog.chucklefish.org/?p=327

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

They're selling it in a store for cash money. It's been released.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

packetmantis posted:

You must have been miserable in the 90s when you couldn't play a game at all between when it was announced and when it was released. Imagine!

Naw, same as I didn't mind the two year wait for Starbound when you couldn't play the game at all between when it was announced and when it was released.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Starbound is an early access game, and as such is in all three development phases at once.

Not even as a joke. They're still adding fundamental systems while also being released to the public and needing bug-testing and balancing to bridge those two parts.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

graynull posted:

I'm sure this will dissuade the trolls and :tinfoil:'s

Starbound Health Check:
http://blog.chucklefish.org/?p=327
Oh sweet, since they said it, it must be true.

Just like with Spacebase DF-9:

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 19, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Starbound is an early access game, and as such is in all three development phases at once.

Not even as a joke. They're still adding fundamental systems while also being released to the public and needing bug-testing and balancing to bridge those two parts.

I'm going to say it now. Unless early access means getting access to the late beta, early access is going to make worse games. By doing all these things at once a developer is probably going to do a poo poo job of it all. Plus the lacking quality and bad balance tweaks will put people off, especially seeing as from their point of view they're not alpha or beta testing, they're playing a game they paid for.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Afraid of Audio posted:

They've overstepped their Starboundaries.

:eyepop:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slime posted:

I'm going to say it now. Unless early access means getting access to the late beta, early access is going to make worse games. By doing all these things at once a developer is probably going to do a poo poo job of it all. Plus the lacking quality and bad balance tweaks will put people off, especially seeing as from their point of view they're not alpha or beta testing, they're playing a game they paid for.

It's not an optimal approach, no, but the reason games generally go into early access is partly to fund the game, unless the developer can afford the upfront costs, you're left with either not making the game, making the game very poorly and releasing it incomplete but advertised as complete, or the early access approach.

Early access isn't an ideal method of producing a game, but it is a better option than what has previously been available to underfunded games. Customers get warned that the product isn't complete, but the game still has a chance to get made and potentially be good.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

It's not an optimal approach, no, but the reason games generally go into early access is partly to fund the game, unless the developer can afford the upfront costs, you're left with either not making the game, making the game very poorly and releasing it incomplete but advertised as complete, or the early access approach.

Early access isn't an ideal method of producing a game, but it is a better option than what has previously been available to underfunded games. Customers get warned that the product isn't complete, but the game still has a chance to get made and potentially be good.

Early access is a faustian bargain where you get enough money to make the game but then have to put up with the community.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dibujante posted:

Early access is a faustian bargain where you get enough money to make the game but then have to put up with the community.

On the plus side you hopefully get to work in a small studio with people you like making a game you find interesting, and not get fired by your parent company after your lovely CoD clone doesn't sell!

Working in games is a bit shite wherever you are.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

On the plus side you hopefully get to work in a small studio with people you like making a game you find interesting, and not get fired by your parent company after your lovely CoD clone doesn't sell!

Working in games is a bit shite wherever you are.

Every now and then I'm chatting with an indie game developer at some social (I live in Vancouver, so) and think "I have several years' experience doing software development; I should make a game" and then think about it a bit longer and realize how nightmarish that could be :( Games development is a beast that chews people up and spits them out and causes them financial ruin, all so that I can buy it for $2 during a steam summer sale (or used to; the more developers I talk to the more I try to at least buy indie titles at full price). I'm not entirely sure early access has been good for humanity on balance, once you consider that it's pushing more indies to gamble it all in such an unforgiving field.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Starbad

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Dibujante posted:

The scam is that they took the money and ran, but they've rented out an office and hired a team of developers to produce and release a game as a very involved way of keeping us from realizing that they're absconding with the money. It's a front, you see.

Classic long-con.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The oldest trick in the book.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

JazzFlight posted:

I'd play more Starbound if I wasn't playing Cube World so much.
Now there's a well-supported game!
I prefer the Minecraft mode of updating, where each major update takes about a year and you get 3 new blocks and 1 new enemy.
This is totally irrelevant but I just realized that the time between Minecraft's latest version and the version before it was longer than the entire time Starbound has been playable.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Early access as a concept is fine but gamers as a whole are loving awful so that kinds of ruins it. You will find no shortage of gamers defending their right to preorder a game for full price and then turn around and moan and cry about how the game they bought sight unseen was lovely/buggy/unfinished. So with Early Access you have devs advertising these games as basically lovely/buggy/unfinished, and they are making millions of dollars doing so, only to have no shortage of gamers still crying and moaning about it.

It's a no win situation I guess. Well except for the people selling the games. It is a win for them because gamers are going to buy games no matter how hard they rage on the internet.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You heard it here fellahs, don't ever complain about anything because some dingdong doesn't like people who do the same things you do.

What if you never payed for the game in the first place, but you're still critical of the way development is being handled? Are only participants able to complain? Or do you have to spin that wheel, drop 60 or so bucks like a lot of early access games are costing these days, and then cross your fingers?

E: Snorebound

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 19, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
See my issue with Starbound is that I've paid money and a lot of what I see them doing is stuff I'm really not interested in. I want to explore, not scrub around in the dirt looking for copper so I can mine some iron so I can stop being a caveman. And all the while I'm desperately picking up every scrap of coal I can so I can actually loving leave this lovely planet and EXPLORE. Imposing hard limits on where you can go and what you can do is boring. I like systems where if you know what you're doing you can skip tiers, sneak into a dangerous area without the best equipment and snatch up some cool loot, make some consumables and use them to blow up some dangerous monsters that would normally destroy my pansy weakling rear end.

And I'm not really seeing that from Starbound. It's all enforced tiers and strictly limited progression where you 100% need <X> to move on to something new, or even move sideways to another planet.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Babe Magnet posted:

You heard it here fellahs, don't ever complain about anything because some dingdong doesn't like people who do the same things you do.

What if you never payed for the game in the first place, but you're still critical of the way development is being handled? Are only participants able to complain? Or do you have to spin that wheel, drop 60 or so bucks like a lot of early access games are costing these days, and then cross your fingers?

Complaining about actual things like the ore changes is totally legitimate. Complaining that they aren't making the game fast enough or that an early access game still isn't finished isn't. Hope that helps. And this is coming from someone who got burned by Towns and Cube World.

Pro Tip: Don't want to have spent money on an unfinished game? Don't buy an unfinished game. Especially when it is advertised as unfinished. That makes you stupid. You are literally a stupid human being if you do this.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

tell me ALL about the anime poo, Unsub.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm okay with the money I've spent. I just want a happy cool 'able to enjoy in hour or two binges even if I die' space game :saddowns: Most of Starbound looks pretty cool for that, it's just survivability on the go and how soul crushing the grind may be if you play "Default: drop your ore on death, when you die in three hits or less trying to collect ore to make armor that can take 7 hits".

I could take (if roll my eyes at) the exponentially increased and gated ore progression if I didn't have to worry about losing all my progress for my character to not be a complete joke in combat, or build anything at all every single tier. Without a mod. Though even with my own getting dragged into the cynicism, I'm still figuring they will implement "Fine, you don't drop all your progress on death because you were one-shot from full health by a hummingbird, you big baby. Learn 2 Dodge homing missiles when mining for your next tier." options.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Did Cube World die? Or are they just still being super quiet again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's my fault that an idea guy sold me a clown car and I'm trying my best to own up to my mistake with charitable acts.

• Locked thread