Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sickening posted:

Anything that doesn't equal short term profits is hard to sell. I am stuck between thinking that this is just where business shifted to over the years or if its always been this way and I was just naive.

Yeah I dunno. But I got a job offer from a large corporation yesterday, so gently caress em.

:yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Vicas posted:

To be honest it's not really worth your time or the company's time to pursue the people who break their iPhones "accidentally" in completely transparent ways
It's looking like the way we're planning to start the transition from Blackberry to iPhone is to replace the old Blackberries "as needed" from a smallish initial order. I don't deal with the phone side of things, but I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of creative things our users will come up with to deomonstrate their need.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Mustache Ride posted:

That was our quandary too. We're a small 30 person eDiscovery/Forensics firm and we're trying to branch off into offering our services to larger corporations that require a SOC2 in order to host their data on our systems. Even though the cost is more than the potential business we have now, I keep trying to tell them that little icon on our website will bring so much business our way.

I thought I had the partners convinced, but they seem to be wavering.

They loving love spreadsheets. Do a 1, 3 and 5 year ROI analysis using best/average/meh/terrible outlooks on potential engagements. Then add that in addition to the ~10-15% ROI, they're able to solicit business from, and build relationships with large governmental contracting agencies.

"We can invest in this now, and be able to say yes to the most demanding federal client, or we can invest in this later, after passing up a few of them first".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Knormal posted:

It's looking like the way we're planning to start the transition from Blackberry to iPhone is to replace the old Blackberries "as needed" from a smallish initial order. I don't deal with the phone side of things, but I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of creative things our users will come up with to deomonstrate their need.
We did the exact same thing a few months ago and there was probably an increase in broken blackberries coming in.. Though to be honest, the users don't really need any help in breaking their blackberries. They tend to brick themselves if you as much as look at them funny anyway.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Oh Jesus, all I can think of is lead dust flying around.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Gerdalti posted:

I think this is just a case of "too big for our britches". No one wanted to involve me in any of the actual discussions, and then went "Oh, I'm sure IT can get that done pretty quickly". This is not our typical client, and considering the cost of the SOC 2 Type 2 audit would far exceed (even at the low end) the money the client would pay us over a year, it seems like it's probably not the right choice business wise. All other companies involved how now stated that the requirements are too much and would be unprofitable to implement, which is exactly what I said.

I work for an e-commerce company. I only know about our it department but that project alone was about 800 developer hours (including dbas and admins).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

Don't breathe this!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

Don't breathe this!

IPad chem trails.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Che Delilas posted:

None, thanks to RoHS, but plenty of other poo poo that has no business being in your lungs

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Che Delilas posted:

I'd be more worried about breathing glass. :toot:

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

demonicon posted:

I work for an e-commerce company. I only know about our it department but that project alone was about 800 developer hours (including dbas and admins).

Yeah, we're just a fundraising company that works with non profits, this client just has some federal funding, so apparently this is a requirement. It's the first potential client in 30 years that has had federal funding, can't see it coming up much in the future either.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
A call came in...

Small medical client of the MSP I work for, and the lady is someone I've worked with before who's honestly a real sweetheart and probably one of the more patient people there. Anyhow, she says she's been getting notices from Word/Excel about not enough disk space or resources, and script errors in IE when using their medical app.

I check out the laptop, and find the hard drive is partitioned...oddly. A Fujitsu model that's supposed to have come with a 160GB drive, but the C and D partitions only add up to 50GB. Did some routine cleanup, C drive had like 20MB free and I got it up to 5GB total but couldn't free anything else. D drive shows 4GB used and 16GB free, and I'm hoping the client didn't get hosed and sold a smaller drive than what they were quoted.

Go into disk management, and I'm dumbfounded - the drive is partitioned out into 5 parts, the 2 above that can be "seen", a 200MB system partition, and 2 other partitions that are marked "unallocated" at 16GB and 85GB, respectively. So when added up, it all comes closer to the full drive capacity it should be, and I find that the D drive is literally only being used for the page file for the system. :psyduck: This isn't the first time I've run into this and it ONLY happens with Fujitsu laptops...why in the hell would someone do that?

Got it all figured out, disabled the page file, was able to clean up the extra space, get rid of the D partition and extend the C drive out. Finally has over 100GB free space, upgraded Java and IE, no more script errors coming up. I'm just dumbfounded at how or why the hard drive would be set up that way to literally only give access to less than 1/3 of the space. I want whatever :catdrugs: Fujitsu employees are using, that poo poo must be phenomenal.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Look, PAL, you don't want your page file corrupting your main partition and I can't be bothered to fix my imaging setup to not make insane partition sizes so deal w/it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You shouldn't disable the page file outright imo.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

One client I visited asked me to assess their current desktop PCs and recommend upgrades/replacements. For some reason a lot of them had the page file set to exactly 18000 MB.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ozz81 posted:

A call came in...

Small medical client of the MSP I work for, and the lady is someone I've worked with before who's honestly a real sweetheart and probably one of the more patient people there. Anyhow, she says she's been getting notices from Word/Excel about not enough disk space or resources, and script errors in IE when using their medical app.

I check out the laptop, and find the hard drive is partitioned...oddly. A Fujitsu model that's supposed to have come with a 160GB drive, but the C and D partitions only add up to 50GB. Did some routine cleanup, C drive had like 20MB free and I got it up to 5GB total but couldn't free anything else. D drive shows 4GB used and 16GB free, and I'm hoping the client didn't get hosed and sold a smaller drive than what they were quoted.

Go into disk management, and I'm dumbfounded - the drive is partitioned out into 5 parts, the 2 above that can be "seen", a 200MB system partition, and 2 other partitions that are marked "unallocated" at 16GB and 85GB, respectively. So when added up, it all comes closer to the full drive capacity it should be, and I find that the D drive is literally only being used for the page file for the system. :psyduck: This isn't the first time I've run into this and it ONLY happens with Fujitsu laptops...why in the hell would someone do that?

Got it all figured out, disabled the page file, was able to clean up the extra space, get rid of the D partition and extend the C drive out. Finally has over 100GB free space, upgraded Java and IE, no more script errors coming up. I'm just dumbfounded at how or why the hard drive would be set up that way to literally only give access to less than 1/3 of the space. I want whatever :catdrugs: Fujitsu employees are using, that poo poo must be phenomenal.

That's worse than the one I've had to deal with. A client bought some whitebox "Systemax" PCs before I was consulting for their IT. About 5 of these units from 2009 have a 40gb C: partition which is called IMAGE RECOVERY and has the image of the win7 dvd on it. The D: partition is where windows installed. Of course every application installs itself on C:\ so that 40gb partition slowly fills up. The best solution is to reinstall the machines with proper partitions (one big partition, gently caress system recovery when you have a windows 7 disc handy) but it saves them money to wait until the OS starts freaking out about no space being left and them not being able to open attachments, etc. At least it's not a Fujitsu, I guess!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

spankmeister posted:

You shouldn't disable the page file outright imo.

I am guessing he disabled it to get rid of it so he could blow away the D: partition and expand C: before re-enabling it.
Also the other empty partitions may have been ext4 and held her special linux distro she used outside of work.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
^ Yeah, forgot to clarify - I couldn't format the D partition down until I disabled the page file first, then rebooted. I re-enabled it again after I got everything sorted, so it's all good :)

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

An incoming ticket posted:

Since arriving at $Company name just about 1 month ago, I have recieved over 500 emails from this team that I don't believe that I need to be getting. Am I missing something [...] please go into whatever systems is generating the emails and remove me from the list. Not sure if my peers are getting the same volume of emails or not...

Me: Hey boss, we have a VP asking to be removed from lists that he is supposed to be on by policy.
Boss: Then ask his boss. :smug:
Me: :catstare: *Fires off an email to the CRO*

This is going to be fun...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

OWLS! posted:

Me: Hey boss, we have a VP asking to be removed from lists that he is supposed to be on by policy.

You sent your email to the what?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Chief Rectal Officer.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

OWLS! posted:

He is asking if he is missing something, and instead of pointing out company policy, you email his boss? You're not making a friend there.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

OWLS! posted:

This is the gooniest poo poo I've read on here in a while. Why didn't you just tell him that he's supposed to be on it by policy and leave it at that? Instead you're involving buddy's boss and making a non-issue an issue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Related to dumb emails, yesterday I received a genuine, actual email chain where someone accidentally added a distro to an email. Cue a bunch of dumb shits replying with "remove me from this distro please" I got about 30 emails within a few minutes of morons replying all asking to be removed from some random distro I've never heard of.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Cojawfee posted:

Related to dumb emails, yesterday I received a genuine, actual email chain where someone accidentally added a distro to an email. Cue a bunch of dumb shits replying with "remove me from this distro please" I got about 30 emails within a few minutes of morons replying all asking to be removed from some random distro I've never heard of.

How is this possible? How do people reply-all every single time? It baffles me.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Beamed posted:

I work in government now and my first week I got blasted for emailing only the person that I needed to organize something with instead of all ~ 50 people that are working on a project.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I have the opposite problem with my coworker, if an email is sent to our entire IT distro list, he will never reply-all. So I'm constantly having to ask him "did you respond back to so-and-so?" "Oh yeah I did"

:argh:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nexxai posted:

This is the gooniest poo poo I've read on here in a while. Why didn't you just tell him that he's supposed to be on it by policy and leave it at that? Instead you're involving buddy's boss and making a non-issue an issue.

Oh we did. The response was "Change the policy".

Joke's on him, his boss (yes, the Chief R(ectal)(enal)(ice)(I have no clue) Officer) is on the same lists and doesn't complain.

I guess I missed the funny bit when writing up that post.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Beamed posted:

I honestly don't know. I've seen them around the internet and think "wow, no one is that dumb." Then it just happened out of the blue.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Rolled out a new ftp server today. Our old one just had a single login, had 36000 directories and almost 7 million files dating back as far as 2001.

I announced the new one last month, with weekly updates and request for clients/vendors that would need logins. 180 logins created, tons of emails saying to get everyone their new login info and notify of the blackout period.

New server comes up, I send the final email, complete with brain dead instructions. 10 minutes later I get asked a dumb question by one of my artists "when are you starting the new server?".

Am hour later, the same artist has sent old information to a vendor, and is blaming IT because "the ftp server must be down".

How the hell do you get people to read emails? I've been doing this 14 years and haven't found the secret.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Gerdalti posted:

How the hell do you get people to read emails? I've been doing this 14 years and haven't found the secret.

People who don't read emails are also people with no concept of irony, no sense of shame, and an inability to learn that makes Pavlov sad. All you can do is resend the same email, bold the part they need to read in size 20 red font, and hope it works.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Beamed posted:

With only a few exceptions, not hitting reply to all in my org will get you in trouble. I got chewed out once for removing redundant people from a chain(they were either included in lists, or not relevant to the issue).

Some people are just conditioned to doing it that way.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Cojawfee posted:

Please remove me from this mailing list. Thanks.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Gerdalti posted:

At my old job where I had an expense card, I would buy $5 Starbucks gift cards and give them out with a line in the email saying "the first person to reply to me with the word banana (or something) wins!"

It actually sort of worked.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Sonic Dude posted:

At my old job where I had an expense card, I would buy $5 Starbucks gift cards and give them out with a line in the email saying "the first person to reply to me with the word banana (or something) wins!"

I remember one of my teachers at my middle school did something like this on a test. You read the instructions, it told you to raise your right hand to get extra credit.

She did this twice in the same year. Both time, I was the only one.

:smith:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

People who don't read emails are also people with no concept of irony, no sense of shame, and an inability to learn that makes Pavlov sad. All you can do is resend the same email, bold the part they need to read in size 20 red font, and hope it works.

Filtered as spam due to color and text size.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RadicalR posted:

I remember one of my teachers at my middle school did something like this on a test. You read the instructions, it told you to raise your right hand to get extra credit.

She did this twice in the same year. Both time, I was the only one.

:smith:

My sixth grade teacher gave out a "read all of the instructions before you start" quiz, which was both sides of the paper, and slowly got stranger and stranger until the very end, which was "disregard all of the previous questions, sign your name, and sit quietly until your paper is collected."

You could tell who ignored his explicit "read the whole thing!" instructions when they started standing up to try to lick their elbow.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Please remove me from this mailing list. Thanks.

I did this once. The judo club at my college kept e-mailing me a year after I graduated and moved back home, and my e-mails directly to the head of it didn't stop them.

I felt dirty.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

I did this once. The judo club at my college kept e-mailing me a year after I graduated and moved back home, and my e-mails directly to the head of it didn't stop them.

I felt dirty.

There are some sites that do that thing where they have 40 different checkboxes in at least two separate areas for you to uncheck if you want them to stop flooding your inbox. poo poo infuriates me. I've taken to just using gmail's "report spam" button for that, and the last time I did it, google asked me if I wanted them to try and unsubscribe for me!

The thought of the loving Google Secret Service sending a Cease and Desist on my behalf is somehow so appealing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Sonic Dude posted:

I've considered this, something in the middle like "also, there are donuts in IT".

• Locked thread