Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fremry posted:

Yeah, why give out video games to people who like video games? I guess this has to be a Nintendo fan thing, but I would much rather have free games than a stuffed animal.

I can emulate any free lovely old game they want to award me, give me an awesome yoshi plush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fremry posted:

Yeah, why give out video games to people who like video games? I guess this has to be a Nintendo fan thing, but I would much rather have free games than a stuffed animal.

I just ordered a pink Yoshi cleaning cloth with my points, jokes on you.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I've got most of the games they offer, so I would like a stuffed Yoshi.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'd just like a bigger variety.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Long John Power posted:

Thanks club nintendo!

Hrrrrnnnggghh...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fremry posted:

You're right, giving us the choice of an adorable plush yoshi or a downloadable game would be like making GBS threads into our open mouths. Why didn't I see it before.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Polo-Rican posted:

Word of advice! If you purchase 3D World and beat it, don't make my mistake and purchase New Super Mario Bros Wii U afterwards. 3D World not only looks and sounds 10x better, it feels better and has much tighter controls. 3D World basically makes New obsolete in every way.

I don't understand this mindset at all, they are completely different styles of game. SNMBU controls really well and is a fun 2D platformer if completely unrevolutionary. Super Luigi U is really loving fun too, possibly better.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

MassRafTer posted:

I don't understand this mindset at all, they are completely different styles of game. SNMBU controls really well and is a fun 2D platformer if completely unrevolutionary. Super Luigi U is really loving fun too, possibly better.

Yep, both games are different kinds of fun. Buy them all, buy all the Marios. But especially buy Super Luigi U as I found it to have some of the most fun level design in a good while.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sakurazuka posted:

I assume I have Team Ninja to thank for combat with officers being more about dodging and attacking when they're vulnerable, instead of just trying to get the first hit in and hoping I can juggle them to death. Also fights against large enemies that aren't loving terrible (DW Gundams :argh:).

That's exactly it - Team Ninja did the boss battles, the one-on-one battles and devised the targeting system.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fremry posted:

The most loyal fans with the most coins have nothing to spend them on because the various digital rewards they offer month to month is stuff we already bought. That's how we got so many coins.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yep, both games are different kinds of fun. Buy them all, buy all the Marios. But especially buy Super Luigi U as I found it to have some of the most fun level design in a good while.

Super Luigi U was way better than I was expecting. It had some genuinely challenging levels that weren't stupidly frustrating.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

MassRafTer posted:

One just seems like it's better and enhanced all around. It's like playing the birds eye GTA with enhanced graphics and then playing GTA 5 on a PS4 or something.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GTA2 is the best one in the series though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

homeless snail posted:

GTA2 is the best one in the series though.

So is SMB3.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Silver Falcon posted:

I agree, except you spelled GrooseLinebeck wrong.

Seriously, I'm going to get the game, but you can bet I'll be putting in big bold letters on my Club Nintendo survey, "WHERE IS GROOSELINEBECK?!"
I honestly don't know how none of you seem to be able to spell Linebeck :arghfist::mad:

EDIT:

enojy posted:

Hrrrrnnnggghh...
I'm supposed to be reading that in a Yoshi voice, like the groaning sound he makes when he does the flutter jump, right?

PrBacterio fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 20, 2014

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

MassRafTer posted:

I don't get it either. The way you interact with the other players is also very different in NSMBU, in a way that makes it (in my opinion) a better multiplayer title. You just have more freedom with how you want to play the game.

3D World is amazing and fresh and a great game, but I do feel NSMBU and Wii has things to offer that it doesn't. I'd go as far as to say that if I'm playing with good players, I'd rather play NSMBWii or U for the competitive aspect of it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of Mario, I'm thinking of picking up Mario Sunshine online. Amazon has it for thirty bucks, and even craigslisters aren't going below $25. There is no franchise that holds value like Super mario.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

MassRafTer posted:

I don't understand it from the perspective that people take a 2D platformer and 3D platformer and act like they're comparable.

I have this problem a lot when it comes to people and the recent Mario titles, I guess. "3D Land is just NSMB in 3D!" is a statement I see a bit too often that implies adding that extra axis on a gameplay level somehow isn't an absolutely massive difference. It might be because I care way too much about platformers and stuff like level design.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
I'm now officially a Nintendo shareholder:

Amiibos, New 3DS, & QoL, don't fail me now! :)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Synthetic Hermit posted:

I'm now officially a Nintendo shareholder:

Amiibos, New 3DS, & QoL, don't fail me now! :)

Jesus Christ I never realized how much Nintendo stock has plummeted since the Wii. A single share was like $80 in 2008, $40 in 2011 and $15 in 2014. Goddamn.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The Hyrule Warriors strategy guide is looking nice.

It's also currently $10 off on Amazon.

E: One of the art spreads.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Hey so I bought and reviewed Chimpuzzle, it's a bit of a weird one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3AHJikE58k

tl;dr: the game is funny and I'm bitchy/jokey and review a review.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

TheRam posted:

Hey so I bought and reviewed Chimpuzzle, it's a bit of a weird one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3AHJikE58k

tl;dr: the game is funny and I'm bitchy/jokey and review a review.

The review of a review is a bit of a waste of time, to be honest. You spend more time on that then telling us why the game shouldn't have gotten a 3/10. To be honest, I watched the review, thought the game looked kind of crappy, and left the review thinking it looked kind of crappy.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Katana Gomai posted:

Jesus Christ I never realized how much Nintendo stock has plummeted since the Wii. A single share was like $80 in 2008, $40 in 2011 and $15 in 2014. Goddamn.

2006 would have been a good time to invest.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Shelf Adventure posted:

The review of a review is a bit of a waste of time, to be honest. You spend more time on that then telling us why the game shouldn't have gotten a 3/10. To be honest, I watched the review, thought the game looked kind of crappy, and left the review thinking it looked kind of crappy.

I actually liked the review of the review. It was amusing and also served to tell you about the game mechanics.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

Shelf Adventure posted:

Reviewing a game that crude with so few mechanics is always kind of a waste of time, but at least in this instance it ended up being really fun for me. This review is sort of a document of my experience more than it is me trying to break it down as meticulously as possible.

I almost compared the game to Bad Rats, but in reality I found this game is much fairer and more enjoyable to play, especially if you appreciate the charm of an incredibly janky but unintentionally funny game.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Gashroom posted:

It sure is easy to play the stock market when you're in the future.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Nintendo will rise again

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gashroom posted:

I invested then, it was awesome.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Ultigonio posted:

I don't understand it from the perspective that people take a 2D platformer and 3D platformer and act like they're comparable.

Mario 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy series are very different from the 2D titles because they're really about exploring a 3d space. But 3D World really is comparable to the 2D platformers. I mean, there are like a dozen levels in 3D World where they remove the third dimension entirely and it feels totally natural - how would that even be possible if the games weren't similar mechanically.

But my original post wasn't about 3D vs 2D - I can see this becoming a big annoying derail - I was just saying that after playing 3D World, NSMBWU simply looks bad, sounds VERY bad, everyone moves in a more slippery way, it really sucks not being able to play as Peach or Rosalina (why are there still 2 Toads??), it sucks not being able to use one tablet and one wiimote like 3d World, etc.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 20, 2014

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Per advice of the thread I ended up getting a wii u and super Mario world 3d and Mario kart, plus nsmbwii. So far my little guy is having fun, although controller issues were predictable and ongoing. That's okay.

Now I'm trying to decide what virtual console stuff is worth getting (primarily for me). My next wii u purchase will be donkey Kong, but I'm waiting until the controller issues are smaller. I never had a wii so missed out on that whole generation of first party titles, and never really followed it much in the first. I did have a game cube but only played Mario sunshine and the first two metroid primes. I've played originally and then emulated most of the worthwhile NES and SNES titles that would be ported, but never bothered with gba or the other portable stuff.

Assuming I have an interest in platformers and metroidvanias in general, and not that much in the 3d Zeldas, do any titles leap out as obvious choices for a nostalgic person, either because they're really good or are ports/updates that add a lot of content to something I may have already played? (I don't know what graphical updates if any they're doing for games...)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
SHOVEL KNIGHT

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Macaluso posted:

SHOVEL KNIGHT

Unfortunately I've already played shovel Knight and La Mulana on PC. Still might be worth buying if nothing else presents, but I do have those, and Guacamelee, which I know are on the wii console.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Well, there's the usual suspects on the Wii/Wii U VC:

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past- You said you didn't like 3D Zeldas; I'm going to assume that means the 2D ones are OK. If you haven't played this yet then get on that. Otherwise, it's there, and it's the same game you remember.

Earthbound- Definitely worth getting, if only to show Nintendo that there's a market for the more obscure things on VC. It's still a really good game in its own right. The only really annoying thing about it is the dumb inventory management system.

Super Metroid- It's on the Wii U VC and it's the same game you remember.

There's also a bunch of Megamans and a smattering of GBA games, with more on the way, hopefully.

Also, you didn't ask for Wii recommendations, but I'm going to throw a few out there anyway!

Xenoblade Chronicles- You've probably heard of this game. It's as good as you've heard. See if your local Gamestop has a copy. It'll run you $45-$50, but it's worth it!

Okami- If you don't have the HD version on PSN, get the Wii version. Play it somehow. Although, it's very similar to The Legend of Zelda games, so I guess you might not like it if you hate the 3D Zeldas. It would depend on what you don't like about them.

New Play Controls Pikmin and Pikmin 2- Two of the best Gamecube games, on Wii with pointer controls!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I kinda want someone who's never played Earthbound to pick it up and play it while posting here. To be honest, it's a game that's almost an "acquired taste" with its slow opening and metaphorical themes laid throughout. That said, it is the second best video game ever.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

noirstronaut posted:

I kinda want someone who's never played Earthbound to pick it up and play it while posting here. To be honest, it's a game that's almost an "acquired taste" with its slow opening and metaphorical themes laid throughout. That said, it is the second best video game ever.

I played and finished Earthbound for the first time a month ago, and to be honest, the game's combat was so bad that I don't ever want to play it again. Between the combat, item management and that goddamn fuzzy pickles guy it felt like the game was actively trying to waste my time.

Now, I liked all the other parts of the game--the music is fine, the writing and humor are good and there are lots of cool fun places like Moonside. If there were a version of the game with no combat, and the fuzzy pickles guy only showed up once at the start and once at the end, I would have enjoyed it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

noirstronaut posted:

I got it as my Platinum reward but I haven't started playing yet. Never did through all the SNES years when certain types were raving about it and I thought it was about time. I'll post about it once I get into it.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Haven't finished Earthbound, not sure I ever will. It's a wonderfully charming game with some woefully aggravating mechanics.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Sometimes I can't tell if I'm winning battles in Earthbound based on actual skill or luck. That could just be me though. I'm not exactly adept at RPGs. Otherwise, I'm enjoying revisiting it after not being able to play it for over a decade. The music is still amazing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Well, I've only ever seen LPs of it until now. I'm actually still in Onett.

• Locked thread