Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm looking forward to seeing how the new SH turns out, but man, the protagonist's reactions in that trailer. Doesn't freak at the severed head with worms, freaks at the giant hand monster, eyes the staircase at the end like "man, I'm being chased by a giant hand monster, but stone steps? Freaky, not sure if I wanna get into this." Weird priorities all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

ravenkult posted:

lol ''it doesn't look like a Silent Hill game.''

Yeah, because after #2 they all sucked rear end. God forbid it becomes good again.

it can be 'good' without being called 'silent hill' for absolutely no reason other than to capitalize on brand recognition. also 3 was better than 2 in literally every way imaginable

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

A name is just a name, brah. Everything will be alright.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The current direction of discussion makes me feel old because people have said "it's a good game it just doesn't feel like Silent Hill." when Silent Hill 2 came out. Repeat forever with each successive game. It's not called Silent Hill for no reason, it's called Silent Hill because like a year ago Kojima said he's love to do something with Silent Hill, he's the only guy at Konami worth a drat so he got his wish, this is now Silent Hill. Other Silent Hill games still exist and still own.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Silent Hill 2 gets gushed over to no end (and the story is probably enough to justify it), but it really stands out to me as not being particularly scary. Besides Pyramid Head, the creatures were just...there. Goofy straightjacket things and big walking doors, and I can't even remember if there were any others.

Now those apes that would jump on you in Silent Hill 1, *those* were scary. Frigging things making weird noises while knocking you over.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Aw, I loooved Catherine.
It somehow mashed together horror, action-puzzle gaming, and actual non-sexual adult theming and made it work :allears:

While entirely appropriate to the plot, I do think they could have dialed back the fanservicey bits, though. While I'm not even into ladies it was kind of embarrassing to experience.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Heather wasn't a dude, Silent Hill 1's and Silent Hill 4's nurses weren't sexualised. The only game that really applies to is 2.

This made me go back and kind of review the nurse progression! It's kind of interesting to watch.

Silent Hill 1
Pretty modest. More of a parasite controlled person.
Nurse By Harry? Cheryl?

Silent Hill 2
Hello, ladies!
Nurse By James Sunderland

Silent Hill 3
Hello, ladies, again??
This is confusing, because once again, Nurse By Harry? Cheryl?

Silent Hill 4
:stonk: Definitely on the "horrid" side of things.
Nurse By Walter Sullivan

Silent Hill "5" :rolleyes:
Nurse by who gives a gently caress TITTIES

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Scrub Lover posted:

it can be 'good' without being called 'silent hill' for absolutely no reason other than to capitalize on brand recognition. also 3 was better than 2 in literally every way imaginable

Yeah, I'm sure that an incredibly short concept video used to pitch to publishers as well as a teaser that they've said is mostly unrelated to the final game are not only representative of Silent Hills but also proof that the game won't have even the vaguest similarities to the Silent Hill franchise and will ruin the franchise, unlike classics like Book of Memories and Shattered Memories.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
See, the fundamental problem with Silent Hill now is that horror stops being scary when you know what to expect. Silent Hill as a franchise is pretty old at this point, so all of the most iconic elements are pretty familiar to people. If you try to recreate the "classic" games, then it's just not going to be scary because we've seen it all before. And if you try to do something completely different, then it's "not a Silent Hill game". The name recognition is what they're banking on to sell the game, but the expectations the name carries with it are restricting the horror of the games themselves.

They just need to let the franchise die at this point and do something completely new, without the burden of those expectations or the elements that have to be included to be "Silent Hill". I mean the American games might have been pretty poo poo, but I honestly don't think even the original Team Silent would have done any better. The difference is that Team Silent KNEW that, which is why they abandoned the series after 4, and even 4 itself wasn't originally meant to be a SH game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Poulpe posted:

Silent Hill "5" :rolleyes:
Nurse by who gives a gently caress TITTIES

This was right around the time the movie came out, and Homecoming's nurses (and a bunch of other stuff) were just ripped straight from the movie's design.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Poulpe posted:

This made me go back and kind of review the nurse progression! It's kind of interesting to watch.

Minor :goonsay: but they werent actually nurses in 4, they were patients.

4 is probably my favorite silent hill game because of how different it is from the rest of them, i'm not sure how true the "not originally a silent hill game" thing is or if so how early in development it was changed but that lead to them being able to break out of the mold all the other games had up to that point. Either way i would certainly take something new and interesting over "We have to have sexy nurses and pyramid head in it, its a silent hill game for crying out loud" which is why Silent Hills looks interesting.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

DeathChicken posted:

Silent Hill 2 gets gushed over to no end (and the story is probably enough to justify it), but it really stands out to me as not being particularly scary. Besides Pyramid Head, the creatures were just...there. Goofy straightjacket things and big walking doors, and I can't even remember if there were any others.

Now those apes that would jump on you in Silent Hill 1, *those* were scary. Frigging things making weird noises while knocking you over.

Those walking doors were actually people loving on a bed.

I mean, yeah, it's hard to see on there, but it's literally a sex monster. A beast with two backs, if you will. I remember playing the first time and having the same reaction. "What is this? A door guy? This is stupid" and then I noticed another head underneath it, and then all the.....thrusting.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 19, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Silent Hill 2 doesn't really convey the high-octane horror of 3 or 4, no. But it's very good at being bleak and oppressive (I remember feeling actual nausea the first time I went through the prison/labyrinth sequences because everything was so dark and claustrophobic), even if the enemies themselves don't pose much of a threat.

Silent Hill 3, now, those monsters would gently caress you up. Closers and Pendulums and pistol-toting nurses, oh my.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I also found it wierd when i first got on the internet and saw people considered 2 the peak of horror games. 2 is great and is probably either the best or second best in the series depending on who you ask but both big monsters that cause immediate fear because they can kill you easily and subtle atmospheric fear were done better in 3 and 4 i think.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

3 also had my two favorite out of nowhere scares with the subway ghost and the mirror room. The first doesn't really get enough love. Man, even when I knew it was coming I'd still freak out since I could never get back up on the platform fast enough.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The subway in general is a small part of the game but very intense.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Crappy Jack posted:

Those walking doors were actually people loving on a bed.

I mean, yeah, it's hard to see on there, but it's literally a sex monster. A beast with two backs, if you will. I remember playing the first time and having the same reaction. "What is this? A door guy? This is stupid" and then I noticed another head underneath it, and then all the.....thrusting.

The monsters are called Abstract Daddies and they're meant to symbolize the heavily implied Angela's rape by her father.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Sad Mammal posted:

The monsters are called Abstract Daddies and they're meant to symbolize the heavily implied Angela's rape by her father.
Yeah that was a pretty big "what the gently caress" moment for me when I looked it up and found out what that represented. There's some seriously dark stuff in the game, but it's not really in your face and you need to dig around a little to figure a lot of it out, which is how it should be otherwise it can come off as cheap.

If you've never seen Translated Memories, which is a translation of a Japanese guide book that goes into detail on all the monster designs and such in the Silent Hill games, check it out here: http://www.translatedmemories.com/book.html

This is the one for the SH 2 monsters: http://www.translatedmemories.com/bookpgs/Pg48-49SH2Creature.jpg

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sad Mammal posted:

Abstract Daddies is a loving great name for anything, tbh

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Would we all have liked homecoming more if there was a cool rear end art book that explained all the metaphors and poo poo to us so we could talk about how clever it is 15 years later? I'll bet we would have.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sharzak posted:

Would we all have liked homecoming more if there was a cool rear end art book that explained all the metaphors and poo poo to us so we could talk about how clever it is 15 years later? I'll bet we would have.

I'd have enjoyed it alot more if I ever managed to beat it :(

And if it contained King Diamond - Welcome Home references

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Fairly certain Homecoming has my favorite bosses in the series, but I didn't enjoy anything much else except them, so it's like wandering through a jasper pile for a few gems. It's not bad, really.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Sharzak posted:

Your snarky remark kind of falls apart since people who like Silent Hill 2 liked it before that book was even translated. Because it's a good game, and Homecoming is a huge pile of poo poo.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm not trying to be snarky the sh2 art book is legit cool as hell and I would love to understand the artists intent for some of the homecoming monsters. I might like the game better if I knew what all the poo poo was supposed to represent, since I didn't have much of a problem with the gameplay.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
There needs to be more art books of horror-related material we gaijin can purchase without having to sell organs on the black market. I'm looking at you, good edition of Dark Souls II.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Clever Spambot posted:

This may be a myth but i heard they were basically handed the prerendered cutscenes by konami and were told to make a game around that, which would mean that the not pyramid head wasn't really the devs fault.

Not only that, they had like 6 months to make the game. It's a miracle 0rigins is as good as it is.

Totally not feeling that Silent Hills trailer/movie/whatever, though. It's just a grab-bag of haunted house tropes. If they put something out that proves they can create an atmosphere with them, then I'm in.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Here's what was missing from that Silent Hills trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ksIfv8QCg

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Zombie Samurai posted:

Not only that, they had like 6 months to make the game. It's a miracle 0rigins is as good as it is.

Totally not feeling that Silent Hills trailer/movie/whatever, though. It's just a grab-bag of haunted house tropes. If they put something out that proves they can create an atmosphere with them, then I'm in.

PT is pretty atmospheric IMO

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sad Mammal posted:

Not only that, but they only show up as regular enemies when Angela has one of her mood swings and compares her relationship with her father to James' with his wife, which rattles James and lets their neuroses bleed into each other. The care taken to make sure that every single thing James sees revolves around him in some way is still really impressive.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The boss fight with the Abstract Daddy is also in a room filled with pistons going into holes in the walls.

And really I'd argue that there's still a lot of untapped potential with the series, so I disagree that the series needs to die. Silent Hills seems to be the game that will save it from from Konami's previous bumbling.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 20, 2014

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Oxxidation posted:

Not only that, but they only show up as regular enemies when Angela has one of her mood swings and compares her relationship with her father to James' with his wife, which rattles James and lets their neuroses bleed into each other. The care taken to make sure that every single thing James sees revolves around him in some way is still really impressive.

Oh wow, I never made that connection at all. I've played SH2 a whole whole lot and I love that there's always some fresh little detail to pick up on like this.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The resident evil remake is listed on play asia with a November release date. The game's language is based on system language and playasia specifically stated the game can run on any system.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

King of Bleh posted:

Oh wow, I never made that connection at all. I've played SH2 a whole whole lot and I love that there's always some fresh little detail to pick up on like this.
Another subtle thing is that there are two Pyramid Heads at the end of the game because James killed Eddie and he feels guilty even though it was self-defense.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
The Mannequin

COPYRIGHT HANS BELLMER 'LA POUPEE' 1936 ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL

The Lying Figure

'LYING FIGURE IN A MIRROR' COPYRIGHT FRANCIS BACON 1971 DO NOT STEAL

They say all great artists steal.

Eadweard Muybridge, Two Men Wrestling 1887

Two Figures, Francis Bacon.

Eh, close enough.

Jimbo Jaggins fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 20, 2014

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Eh, close enough.

Where did you find this? I've been skipping past all the "ugh it's not silent hill ugh this is my silent hill" posts, and this is the most interesting thing I've seen on this page and the last so far.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I've seen the Bellmer stuff a fair few times over the years. The monster designer for SH2 claimed it was a coincidence though, since he was actually ripping from Japanese folklore, thank you very much. You can also argue a heavy Bacon influence, intentional or not, on much of the work as well.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I've seen the Bellmer stuff a fair few times over the years. The monster designer for SH2 claimed it was a coincidence though, since he was actually ripping from Japanese folklore, thank you very much. You can also argue a heavy Bacon influence, intentional or not, on much of the work as well.

He's obviously full of poo poo, though. The Bacon influence is entirely intentional, it was the monster designers favourite artist.

Jimbo Jaggins fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 20, 2014

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I started playing Dead Space again and I remember it not being scary at all. In fairness though the first while actually paces itself well and has a good scary atmosphere. Until it pulls an RE4 and you become a loving killing machine.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I started playing Dead Space again and I remember it not being scary at all. In fairness though the first while actually paces itself well and has a good scary atmosphere. Until it pulls an RE4 and you become a loving killing machine.

If you're not doing a plasma cutter only run you're playing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I platinumed it before, so I've done the Plasma Cutter/Hard Mode run before and it's definitely a lot of fun to play. It's also the scariest way to play. Being easily killed by even the base monsters really sets you on edge. Playing Hard mode again but I'll probably mess around with the other weapons a bit, never really used them bar the Line Gun and Plasma Rifle.

edit: Also I forgot you didn't start with the kinesis module, I miss skewering necromorphs with their own arms.