Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Shoehead posted:

Did Cube World die? Or are they just still being super quiet again?

Last video update was in June, showing off quests and stuff. Looked pretty neat. Wollay is always quiet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Last video update was in June, showing off quests and stuff. Looked pretty neat. Wollay is always quiet though.

I thought it was a single picture update.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ColHannibal posted:

I thought it was a single picture update.

Pretty sure there was a video that showed off the new arena battles, including giant cat boss.

That being said, there hasn't been a single patch in over a year and there are no unstable/test builds to try either, with nothing but that singular post released during that time. Cube World might not literally be dead, but for all intents and purposes, it basically is.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

How did they mess up Terraria in space this badly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dibujante posted:

Every now and then I'm chatting with an indie game developer at some social (I live in Vancouver, so) and think "I have several years' experience doing software development; I should make a game" and then think about it a bit longer and realize how nightmarish that could be :( Games development is a beast that chews people up and spits them out and causes them financial ruin, all so that I can buy it for $2 during a steam summer sale (or used to; the more developers I talk to the more I try to at least buy indie titles at full price). I'm not entirely sure early access has been good for humanity on balance, once you consider that it's pushing more indies to gamble it all in such an unforgiving field.

Game developers are all, without exception, somewhat insane.

At least, all the ones actively working in the industry are, the ones that get burned out and quit are possibly more sane.

If game devs didn't have development they'd probably do something else unhealthy and moderately soul destroying out of sheer compulsion, all the industry people I've ever met or people who really want to get into it, seem to do it because they have some sort of inner need to do it.

So indie devs gambling on terrible stuff that ruins their lives is mostly because they're just the sort of people to do that. Like a programming equivalent of people who kill themselves trying to wingsuit through ten foot wide gaps half a mountain range away. Some people are just a bit nutty and will either make awesome stuff or go broke trying.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh, cool, an expert on gross generalization is here itt. Tell us more.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Of all the dumb poo poo that gets posted in here my lack of concern for specifics is what you're whinging about?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you ain't shitpostin' you ain't welcome here kid. :clint:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

As someone who makes games for a living, I think what you said is pretty ignorant of reality. But I'm just A Guy On The Internet, so whatever. I've already forgotten the point of the discussion anyway.

How about those pickaxes, eh?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

mutata posted:

As someone who makes games for a living, I think what you said is pretty ignorant of reality. But I'm just A Guy On The Internet, so whatever. I've already forgotten the point of the discussion anyway.

How about those pickaxes, eh?

what games do you make?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

RareAcumen posted:

This is SomethingAwful.

There's nothing BUT shitposts in here.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I shitpost, therefore I am.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

RareAcumen posted:

Preach it muh Bruthah!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Babe Magnet posted:

What if you never payed for the game in the first place, but you're still critical of the way development is being handled? Are only participants able to complain? Or do you have to spin that wheel, drop 60 or so bucks like a lot of early access games are costing these days, and then cross your fingers?
One of the developers is an old friend and gifted me a copy. Does this mean I cant comment on how awful these enforced tiers sound? somebody please clear this up :ohdear:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Jackard posted:

One of the developers is an old friend and gifted me a copy. Does this mean I cant comment on how awful these enforced tiers sound? somebody please clear this up :ohdear:

You are allowed to comment on it, but anything you say is going to rile up the 'Gamergate/4chan' crowd, who will then harass Mollygos because of your shill bias

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jackard posted:

No, that means you have to go to the office and regularly yell at your friend for the rest of us/get me a job for Chucklefish/tell us really really embarrassing stories about him that can be used for blackmail. I mean, you have connections so using them for evil to benefit Goonkind is a must.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

You are allowed to comment on it, but anything you say is going to rile up the 'Gamergate/4chan' crowd, who will then harass Mollygos because of your shill bias
Then I must say it, and say it twice as loud

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 20, 2014

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I like this game, I just got bored with it. I felt as though I got my moneys worth.

Go on ostracize me.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

how are these things remotely related lmao

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I ahhh... cant help but notice that the main dev's lil' character avatar thing seems to have a fedora?

Whats the story with that, I wonder...

Hmm...

Makes a man wanna get... SLANDEROUS

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Varinn posted:

how are these things remotely related lmao

it's a joke, please read up about them tia

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Slime posted:

See my issue with Starbound is that I've paid money and a lot of what I see them doing is stuff I'm really not interested in.
That's a valid complaint, but to be fair, that's how most games work. Even if it's a finished product, you buy the game and there's some stuff in it you aren't interested in, or some things you wish they'd focused on more. They can't really please everyone, especially in a sandbox-style title that has a really broad focus and means something different to everyone.

However, on that same note, if the vast majority of your players dislike some new change you're planning (like the sand ores) maybe you shouldn't make it.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Magmarashi posted:

it's a joke, please read up about them tia

A joke is meant to be funny, I hope this helps you in the future.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dandywalken posted:

I ahhh... cant help but notice that the main dev's lil' character avatar thing seems to have a fedora?

Whats the story with that, I wonder...

Hmm...

Makes a man wanna get... SLANDEROUS

I feel like a real goof for not paying attention to the multiple red flags that shot up whenever I saw his stupid loving avatar.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I believed in this thing.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Devour or Fire posted:

Now your failure is complete.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Devour or Fire posted:

I am very sad your pixel game has been delayed and your hopes and dreams are now only plagued with woe.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Literally Kermit posted:

I am very sad your pixel game has been delayed and your hopes and dreams are now only plagued with woe.

Like, what loving pre-order tier did you even have to buy for that level of personal defeat?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Afraid of Audio posted:

A joke is meant to be funny, I hope this helps you in the future.

im sorry about your mommy issues

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait until the pirate game early access so we can find out what everybody learned from this.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Devour or Fire posted:

I can't wait until the pirate game early access so we can find out what everybody learned from this.

Nothing, because designing a game in Haskell is like designing a car with square wheels.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Leo Showers posted:

what games do you make?

I worked on Everquest 2 (Destiny of Velious) and both Disney Infinity games. I work at a startup in Corona, California now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rrussom posted:

tell me ALL about the anime poo, Unsub.

Man, I guess it was in the previous thread since I'm not seeing it in my post history, but I got this avatar not by disagreeing with poo monsters (never had a problem with them), but by making fun of a the dumb goons who were so frustrated that they couldn't talk about throwing poo in the Space Station 13 thread that they swarmed into the Starbound one and were discussing piss rivers and poo poo biomes lol. Also I made fun of goons being afraid of the ocean at the same time and I guess that's a sore sport for some people

I've never replaced my avatar because I don't really care, but now that they can be bigger and more elaborate I might end up getting an HD anime poo or something

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
Thread should be moved to GBS since there is no game to discuss, tia.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Devour or Fire posted:

oh no

i... i thought it was a cowboy

it's like looking at that picture of a duck and realizing it's a rabbit, I'll never be able to unsee this

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

XboxPants posted:

oh no

i... i thought it was a cowboy

it's like looking at that picture of a duck and realizing it's a rabbit, I'll never be able to unsee this

You are an idiot.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Tiy posted:

Not only is the development of Starbound extremely healthy. (More so than it’s ever been in fact, with more team members than ever and all of us in the same location). But Chucklefish could fund the development of Starbound for another 9 years at least. Even if we didn’t make another penny in that time. This includes all our office costs, salaries and every other kind of company expenditure.

Sorry to disappoint the conspiracy theorists in the thread, but yeah. Even if we never made another penny on Starbound, we'd be totally fine. We're aiming to get the update out and potentially finish the game by years end because that's when we think we can do it. Not because of any financial constraints.

More here: http://blog.chucklefish.org/?p=327

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Supernorn posted:

Sorry to disappoint the conspiracy theorists in the thread, but yeah. Even if we never made another penny on Starbound, we'd be totally fine. We're aiming to get the update out and potentially finish the game by years end because that's when we think we can do it. Not because of any financial constraints.

Jesus Christ don't say that, you should know better by now not to give dates.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Can I use the instruments in the game to sing a nasheed, or would that crash the game due to a paradox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Supernorn posted:

See you in 2015 guys.

• Locked thread