Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

a corporate culture of bad choices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Thanks Ants posted:

reminder that the advertising for the playbook was "you should have waited", it was priced the same as an ipad, and couldn't do messaging without being tethered to a blackberry

"you should of waited"

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYK9UALCZDE

drat i should of waited! :saddowns:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

minivanmegafun posted:

can you buy PD stuff at an actual porsche car dealer or do you have to go to PD outlets

I think so. There's some weird licensing poo poo between the two, like PD can't use the Porsche emblem on their stuff

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Thanks Ants posted:

reminder that the advertising for the playbook was "you should have waited", it was priced the same as an ipad, and couldn't do messaging without being tethered to a blackberry
further reminder: this happened last week

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

further reminder: this happened last week

that'll sure put some butts in seats

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder if the person in charge of that twitter account is that delusional or they get told what to post by some exec

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Kins posted:

that'll sure put some butts in seats

if there was any justice in this world it should put some butts in the unemployment line

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Skulduggery posted:

I wonder if the person in charge of that twitter account is that delusional or they get told what to post by some exec

that person probably is the exec

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skulduggery posted:

if it were you, what would you post? it's not like they can say "we're doomed; buy the other guy's stuff"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

prefect posted:

if it were you, what would you post? it's not like they can say "we're doomed; buy the other guy's stuff"

"wanna buy a playbook? real cheap, it fell off the truck"

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

prefect posted:

"anyone looking for a social media intern?"

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

no but really even if you work there you'd have to be pretty dense to think you're not on a sinking ship

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skulduggery posted:

no but really even if you work there you'd have to be pretty dense to think you're not on a sinking ship

i'm sure they have to keep on a happy face. but there are probably a few people who are true believers. either they believe the company will become great again, or the company is still great, or maybe they're just all about the power of positive thinking

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I think so. There's some weird licensing poo poo between the two, like PD can't use the Porsche emblem on their stuff

yeah Porsche has to keep their emblem on actually good products

o wait, panamera and cayenne. okay then, I see no reason for them not to go ahead and slap the shield on a blackberry.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Skulduggery posted:

consider that blackberry must be handing out stock like candy to employees, and while it's still absolutely in the toilet, it has made some big relative jumps lately which might be worth a lot of money to them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

all the blackberry flag wavers are just going to keep redefining the word 'enterprise' until it means 'places that use blackberry'

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

The Management posted:

consider that blackberry must be handing out stock like candy to employees, and while it's still absolutely in the toilet, it has made some big relative jumps lately which might be worth a lot of money to them.

most of them are either fresh grads or students from Uwaterloo also, nothing else to do in that city really.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

there must be bridges to drop off, trains to jump in front of? it doesn't have to be as bad as working for blackberry.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I live in Waterloo and work with several ex RIM employees. In 2005 it was an awesome company to work for and had all the perks you would expect a tech company to have. Once 2007 hit, things went south really bad. Every more you made was watched. You got 30 minutes for lunch and god help you if you were late. Most employees also were jaded because management changed every 6 months. You'd get a new manager who would be "We are going to do it THIS way" and then 6 months later he would go somewhere else and the new guy would be "Forget THIS! We are now doing it THAT way" . So no one really cared about performance because they knew it would just soon change anyway.

Staff was thin. If you worked the (mandatory) grave yard shift, you were on your own. So if an Exchange admin called at 2am and it took you 3 hours to fix his issues, guess how long the others in the phone queue had to wait for someone to answer?

When we have a new ex-RIM employee start, they have a bit of PTSD. Its like if you rescue and new cat and bring him home, he'll hide under the bed for a week. Slowly he'll realize that no one is going to care if he takes an extra smoke break, or steal his lunch from the fridge.

They are hiring support positions again but they've pretty much poisoned the market. There are so many tech companies hiring here and no one wants to work at a place that just fired half the city. The only ones that are going back are people who are so lovely that they can't get hired anywhere else or are die hard fanboys.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FrozenVent posted:

maybe he got it for free somehow

like that one yosposter

luigi thirty for his 'calculator' iirc

also RIP kevin

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Sign on with Blackberry and have your own RIM job

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bonzo posted:

When we have a new ex-RIM employee start, they have a bit of PTSD. Its like if you rescue and new cat and bring him home, he'll hide under the bed for a week. Slowly he'll realize that no one is going to care if he takes an extra smoke break, or steal his lunch from the fridge.

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kenny Logins posted:

London Gets Launch Event For BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) Porsche Design P’9983

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  AND  FACE  TO  PORSCHE  DESIGN

so they're doing a big old launch event, but it's exactly the same as the p'9982 (2013) and the p'9881 (2012)

gg blackberry, rehashing yesteryear's failures

(pictured: p'9981, the original model)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
oh someone hosed up in the news story. the p'9983, the new model, runs the new qnx-based OS, and it's hideously ugly

also no one has committed to manufacturing it yet. just mockups. vaporware, from the makers of.... poo poo people forgot about.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
thoughs butans

i know it's been posted already but drat

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh someone hosed up in the news story. the p'9983, the new model, runs the new qnx-based OS, and it's hideously ugly

also no one has committed to manufacturing it yet. just mockups. vaporware, from the makers of.... poo poo people forgot about.

do they still have a hardware manufacturer? who are they using now?

last i heard their hardware "partner" ditched them very publicly before their contract was up.

also, one of my clients has a true believer on the executive board. he still has a poo poo ton of bby stock, despite having lived through the nortel collapse. he gets real touchy every time i shoot him down over recommending blackberrys for corporate deployment.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

infernal machines posted:

last i heard their hardware "partner" ditched them very publicly before their contract was up.
all three of their major suppliers dumped them publicly they were jabil flextronics and celestica

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

LastInLine posted:

all three of their major suppliers dumped them publicly they were jabil flextronics and celestica

I thought foxcon was making them now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LastInLine posted:

jabil is the one i was thinking of. i didn't know about the other two.

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

graph posted:

luigi thirty for his 'calculator' iirc

also RIP kevin

what happened to crackbaby kevin

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
wtf is Porsche design idgi

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

wtf is Porsche design idgi

porche branded devices ostensibly designed by porche designers to match porche aesthetics or something.

basically a good way of identifying shitlords with no taste who make poor purchasing decisions and are ripe for bilking.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

basically a good way of identifying shitlords with no taste who make poor purchasing decisions and are ripe for bilking.
i thought that was the little grenade logo next to their forums name

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru posted:

:ironicat:

there's more than one way

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FMguru posted:

:drat:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Beeftweeter posted:

what happened to crackbaby kevin
he coasted on his initial rimm fliff and now runs a bbry case-making company specializing in pizza themes

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Bonzo posted:

I thought foxcon was making them now

this weekend i learned sony outsourced all their manufacturing to foxconn

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Kenny Logins posted:

he coasted on his initial rimm fliff and now runs a bbry case-making company specializing in pizza themes

ah, an industry that will see nothing but growth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

ah, an industry that will see nothing but growth
too bad the growth is malignant

• Locked thread