Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I must have small hands. I couldn't even swipe across the 6+ and the 6 seems too big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
In iOS 7 Safari I could switch to private browsing to close all tabs. That doesn't work in iOS 8. Anyone figure out the new method yet?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Anyone having issues with the top notifications not going away and you can't push them up? They go away if I table tap the home button and it takes me to the wheel thing where you can quick change to recent apps/contacts. It's not constant either and I haven't really noticed a pattern. On an iPhone 6 if it matters

I'm having issues with just about all edge motion. Trying to move apps between pages requires nearly moving off the edge of the phone, closing top notifications is a total clusterfuck. I think there's a lot of weird behavior happening in ios8.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What's the reason why I would turn on voice over LTE?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

What's the reason why I would turn on voice over LTE?
Better voice quality and if you're on Verizon it lets you talk and use data at the same time.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Picked up my gold 64GB regular 6 today, and she is so pretty. Going from the 4S is a gigantic upgrade, it's so slim and light and the screen is bonkers. Time to cram all my old poo poo into this new fancy phone sports car.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone know why upgrading to iOS 8 seems to have added 2GB of more data that now prevents iCloud from creating a backup? Considering uninstalling the current backup to see if it helps, but that's obviously a last resort.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Is "HD" Voice only a thing when calling another person with a HD voice compatible handset? Or will the quality of all my calls be improved regardless of the headset?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I miss the size of my iphone 5 :(.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DarkestLite posted:

On another note, the feature I'm most excited for is the slow-mo video. I play softball 3-5 days a week and I'm incredibly excited to be able to film my teammates batting because a person swinging a bat looks great in slow-mo (And watching is a great way to fix your swing). I was going to get a GoPro for this silly project, but hopefully this will suffice and save me from buying yet another toy I don't need.
Yeah, for non-extreme sports, this obsoletes the GoPro. I look forward to using it for slow motion analysis of my golf swing, which even at the 120 fps of the 5S was suspect.

Also cat videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tT710VFpQA

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sleepness posted:

Is "HD" Voice only a thing when calling another person with a HD voice compatible handset? Or will the quality of all my calls be improved regardless of the headset?

Both phones have to have it. My M8 would show an "HD" icon when I was calling my wife on her iPhone 5S, but not my mother in law, who has a iPhone 4. I don't know if the iPhone pops up an icon to show if it's working or not but it should be obvious based on the quality of the voice you hear. It's a marked improvement.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Anyone having issues with the top notifications not going away and you can't push them up? They go away if I table tap the home button and it takes me to the wheel thing where you can quick change to recent apps/contacts. It's not constant either and I haven't really noticed a pattern. On an iPhone 6 if it matters

Yes but it's an iOS 8 thing. Happened on my 5S now and then. I sort of wish there was a way to purposely activate that. For example, when you get one of those text verification codes.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
Is anyone having problems with their 6 overheating? I gave a friend a SPECK case (I got a few as gifts) and he said it caused his phone to overheat and the radio is dead.

I feel like poo poo now... :(

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So when I switched to Android in March I went nuclear on removing my phone number from my iMessage account. Now that I'm back on iOS my iFriends are saying they can only iMessage me by my email address. Is there anything I have to do to get the account back on iMessage?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Genewiz posted:

Is anyone having problems with their 6 overheating? I gave a friend a SPECK case (I got a few as gifts) and he said it caused his phone to overheat and the radio is dead.

I feel like poo poo now... :(

I'm having a seriously hard time believing a case could cause this. Probably just a manufacturing fault. poo poo happens once in a while, time to visit the fruit stand for a swap.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

Vegastar posted:

I'm having a seriously hard time believing a case could cause this. Probably just a manufacturing fault. poo poo happens once in a while, time to visit the fruit stand for a swap.

Yeah, that would be kind of crazy. I've had my 6 plugged in and updating/transferring everything and it's getting understandably warm, but regular use shouldn't make it melt.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I actually had my iPhone 5S once alert me that it was too hot and was going to shut down. I can't imagine why they would remove that from the six. Likely it was a defective phone.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

benisntfunny posted:

I actually had my iPhone 5S once alert me that it was too hot and was going to shut down. I can't imagine why they would remove that from the six. Likely it was a defective phone.

Same but I had set it on a dark surface in direct sunlight. Not the best idea ever I'm glad I didn't do any permanent damage.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I had to leave my 4 in the glove compartment of my car in Phoenix in summer once, while I was taking a state licensure test. When I went back out, it had turned itself off and gave me a heat warning and it took about 15 minutes of running the AC in the car for the phone to cool down enough to turn on.

Now living in Denver, it's occasionally turned off due to cold. A few minutes in a pocket solves that though.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
Thanks guys! I feel less freaked out. My 6 is fine with the exact case but hey, just in case. :)

He hasn't answered any of my iMSGs after telling me his 6 died.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does the Verizon iPhone 6 work on T-Mobile and other GSM services?

Can I walk into an Apple Store and buy a Verizon iPhone at full price without making a contract or opening a line? Assuming they have it in stock (which they do, though all the T-Mobile phones are out of stock here).

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

FishBulb posted:

So I picked up my new iPhone 6 yesterday, did an iCloud back up, come home from the Apple store and plugged it into my PC and theres already 1.6 gigs of loving OTHER on it. What the drat hell. I mean, I know this is a thing thats been happening for awhile now but its a brand new phone. That can't be right can it?

I have 1.4gigs of other. Fresh phone, I decided not to do a restore from an older backup and I had still had other space used. Have no idea either.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Now that two brand new phones are out can we revisit the issue of how we're supposed to treat the batteries in these things?

My iPhone 5 battery had to be replaced once because it was bunk and then toward the end it was barely getting me through a few short hours.

I've read that you're not supposed to let them charge overnight, staying at 100% for too long. Then I've read you're supposed to try and not let them ever get below 30% or something.

Any definitive guide on this?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Genewiz posted:

He hasn't answered any of my iMSGs after telling me his 6 died.

Can't imagine why that would be.

edit: big on can't imagines today.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

ShoogaSlim posted:

Now that two brand new phones are out can we revisit the issue of how we're supposed to treat the batteries in these things?

My iPhone 5 battery had to be replaced once because it was bunk and then toward the end it was barely getting me through a few short hours.

I've read that you're not supposed to let them charge overnight, staying at 100% for too long. Then I've read you're supposed to try and not let them ever get below 30% or something.

I've always been told to let it go to completely 0% dead at least once, then fully charge it, and to feel free to charge it in short bursts to keep it topped off.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

ShoogaSlim posted:

Plug it in whenever and charge it over night. Babying the battery won't make a big difference over the lifetime of a phone. I try not to use my phone while charging but that might just be me.

Even if your phone shuts down because the battery is at 0% doesn't mean the battery is actually completely empty. That's just a safety mechanism.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah you don't have to janitor your battery. I think the only thing for modern batteries is not to leave it charging for a very long time, like days. That's not a problem with a phone or tablet but more for laptops.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

benisntfunny posted:

Can't imagine why that would be.

edit: big on can't imagines today.

He iMSG me from his iPad/Mac/5s.

Gandhi Theft Auto
May 15, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah you don't have to janitor your battery. I think the only thing for modern batteries is not to leave it charging for a very long time, like days. That's not a problem with a phone or tablet but more for laptops.

I would hope modern chargers cut off the power when they know the battery is full (like with the macbook ones there's the orange/green light).

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Genewiz posted:

He iMSG me from his iPad/Mac/5s.

I don't see why he (or you) should care that much. It was clearly defected to begin with and can be swapped immediately at an Apple Store.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, for non-extreme sports, this obsoletes the GoPro. I look forward to using it for slow motion analysis of my golf swing, which even at the 120 fps of the 5S was suspect.

Also cat videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tT710VFpQA

I literaly filled 128gigs with Slow-Mo video.
Then I foolishly edited it down, posted it to youtube and the android fanboys came out in force.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
did I miss when apple announced iMonosodium Glutamate?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Nklus posted:

I had to use the app to delete my number and re-add them, then restart your phone. If you number is the primary line on the cell, just delete someone else's and add it back, restart.

Thanks, I ended up doing this after my post and it worked fine here too.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Picked up a black leather case and applecare+ for my 6+ today and I'm super happy with the case. Feels really nice.

I am really really enjoying the 6+. I have big hands so the size isn't a problem and the 2 days of battery life with moderate/heavy usage is incredible. What a screen this thing has, too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I didn't realize quite how much space would be used by slow mo videos and otherwise, and it looks like the 16GB isn't going to cut it. Assuming the Apple Store has 64GBs in Stock, will there be any problem with exchanging?
Refund/new purchase wasn't a problem, but I had to wait in line with the non pre-order plebs. :barf:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Josh Lyman posted:

Refund/new purchase wasn't a problem, but I had to wait in line with the non pre-order plebs. :barf:

Posting from the same because I got the wrong color :(

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
Picked up a gold 6 64gb. Really loving it. The rounded edge is pretty nice. I hate the size of the font. I lowered it by a click and none of the 3rd party apps respect that setting. Everything just looks too big.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Yeah don't freak out about the battery or micromanaging it. Lithium batteries are meant to be smarter than you about it.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
my 6+ just came via UPS...holy poo poo this thing is comically large...I don't know if I can get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw the 6 plus yesterday and I really liked it. The only thing keeping me from getting it is that I like to exercise with my phone and it will look pretty dumb in an arm band.