Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah they're really awesome. Also helped me back Dreadball after I'd missed it by an hour, I don't get the KS updates or anything but I'm fine with that! Friendly bunch of folks.

In my standard Dreamforge news, as well, it seems like the initial stuff from the Kickstarter, including the Valkyr power armor suits, are finally nearing completion. It'll be over two years soon since it was supposed to ship, but I'm cool with waiting on him, he's running a one-man operation, essentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Captain Invictus posted:

Got a 20 pound box o' Deadzone shipment 2 today from Fedex.

" Dear James,

I saved this numbered book for someone who ordered lots of zombies - and I think 160 wins it :)

Thanks for backing Deadzone + making this happen! Stay (something), Ron and Jake (doodle of a zombie version of one of them saying "braaaains") "

A fancy little note inside my limited hardcover Deadzone rulebook #666 of 1000. :3:

Same, but I got #635

:swoon:

Mantic are great, and I'm terribly biased about it now. Also they announced their next KS, date unspecified, is going to be a small Deadzone expasion project built around hard plastic Veermyn, or space Skaven.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 20, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Probably much less than he had to pay in tax on his $500,000 of income. Tax fucks lots of KS projects. For some reason people don't think the IRS will want their cut if the funds are crowd sourced. WRONG!

Capital raised for a business venture is not income and is not taxed as income. Filing as a C corp is fairly trivial as well. If anyone raises a pile of cash for a kickstarter and then treats it as ordinary income, they are being extremely stupid.

(That doesn't mean there's no tax - if you make a profit and "pay yourself" with it, then that pay is ordinary self-employment income. But the full balance of the capital raised? No.)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
They did go through some degree of prototyping, didn't they? I remember seeing something that was supposed to be an associated game, in that kind of amateur not-alpha state too. That probably would have eaten a lot of whatever might have been earned as interest from the Kickstarter cash.

Leperflesh posted:

Capital raised for a business venture is not income and is not taxed as income. Filing as a C corp is fairly trivial as well. If anyone raises a pile of cash for a kickstarter and then treats it as ordinary income, they are being extremely stupid.

(That doesn't mean there's no tax - if you make a profit and "pay yourself" with it, then that pay is ordinary self-employment income. But the full balance of the capital raised? No.)

Given the number of Kickstarters that have seriously harmed themselves with overzealous add-ons and stretch goals, I'd hardly be surprised if a lot of them didn't even think about the benefits or need to consult an accountant. These guys have agents and lawyers to deal with contract law for them, so we can hope someone would have piped up and said something, but these are also a bunch of literal idea men who naively expected the world to beat a path to their door over an awkward peripheral.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Leperflesh posted:

Even if you don't do that, I would hope that most project creators deduct their expenses correctly. I always wonder at the people who run projects and then complain about taxes - what did you do with all that money? Shouldn't you have spent most of it for the project? I understand that sometimes timing is an issue (get the money in 1 year, but spend in the next year) but that can be worked around.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Don't forget something like 15% is skimmed off the top by amazon and kickstarter.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Fenarisk posted:

Don't forget something like 15% is skimmed off the top by amazon and kickstarter.

It's about 10% actually, But then you also have to account for no-shows, I'm told about 5-10% of pledges don't end up paying at the end.

Taxes can be weird, some things you can deduct immediately, some things you have to wait to deduct after they've been delivered, but a good accountant will help you deal with that, and defer most/all of it (or at least that's what our accountant is telling us).

For So77, we created a ridiculously complex spreadsheet that let us plug in numbers on the fly to tell us where our budget is at. It's let us tailor our stretch goal numbers as we go to make sure we're able to deliver what we promise.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Bucnasti posted:

For So77, we created a ridiculously complex spreadsheet that let us plug in numbers on the fly to tell us where our budget is at. It's let us tailor our stretch goal numbers as we go to make sure we're able to deliver what we promise.

Huh! That's a great idea. I'd actually be interested in seeing that, if you don't mind. It'd be cool to see how you planned for certain things.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Leperflesh posted:

Welcome to KS TG where the creators are idiots and the delivery dates are fiction.

prsntdrkns
Jun 3, 2007

Scyther posted:

Could you answer this question, then?

Rules were added to the KS yesterday...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Welcome to KS TG where the creators are idiots and the delivery dates are fiction.

Well sure, of course, but you said

Indolent Bastard posted:

Probably much less than he had to pay in tax on his $500,000 of income. Tax fucks lots of KS projects. For some reason people don't think the IRS will want their cut if the funds are crowd sourced. WRONG!

and he didn't "have to" pay tax on $500k of income. If he did that, it was completely voluntary on his part.

The IRS does want its cut, but if you break even or take a loss on a business venture and have no employees (and thus no payroll tax), the IRS's cut is approximately zero.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Well James Wallis released the first part of the 'Alas Vegas' Preview after an 15 month delay. With Cairn sort of getting released and this, Nightfall is now the only KS thing I've backed on any kind, that I haven't gotten stuff from.

Thanks Gau!

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Leperflesh posted:

The IRS does want its cut, but if you break even or take a loss on a business venture and have no employees (and thus no payroll tax), the IRS's cut is approximately zero.

I have a friend who actually deducts money on his taxes from a large business loss years ago (there's a limit to how much you can deduct per year or some such), so if you lose money on a business venture the IRS's cut can be negative.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Well James Wallis released the first part of the 'Alas Vegas' Preview after an 15 month delay. With Cairn sort of getting released and this, Nightfall is now the only KS thing I've backed on any kind, that I haven't gotten stuff from.

Thanks Gau!

Only one? Lightweight.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I guess I'm good at picking projects with mostly competent and ethical management.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

What options do I have for getting my money back from a post-kickstar Paypal window?

I backed an RPG setting sourcebook way back in August 2013. They had a window for people who missed the Kickstarter campaig to donate through Paypal. Stupid me. Their expected delivery was Feb 2014, but had delays which I was fine with for a while. I'm at the point now, though, that I've lost patience and confidence, and just want my money back. I've been trying to email them, tweet them, contact them through paypal, and they are not answering me. From what I can tell, Paypal won't even let me open a dispute because it's been so long, despite that I've not actually received anything.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Myrmidongs posted:

What options do I have for getting my money back from a post-kickstar Paypal window?

I backed an RPG setting sourcebook way back in August 2013. They had a window for people who missed the Kickstarter campaig to donate through Paypal. Stupid me. Their expected delivery was Feb 2014, but had delays which I was fine with for a while. I'm at the point now, though, that I've lost patience and confidence, and just want my money back. I've been trying to email them, tweet them, contact them through paypal, and they are not answering me. From what I can tell, Paypal won't even let me open a dispute because it's been so long, despite that I've not actually received anything.

At a guess, not a lot - Paypal won't do it outside of their cooling period, and getting your bank to reverse the CC charges will screw you with paypal, who are a notoriously fair and just financial insititution, and not at all a pseudobank who operates outside the law by skirting definition.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sefer posted:

I have a friend who actually deducts money on his taxes from a large business loss years ago (there's a limit to how much you can deduct per year or some such), so if you lose money on a business venture the IRS's cut can be negative.

Strictly speaking what your friend is doing is reducing his taxable income each year, by taking a deduction. This is not the IRS paying him money - it's just him reducing his taxable income by taking a distributed loss.

The IRS does actually pay people money (that is, a negative federal income tax, in which credits add up to more than tax), but generally only when they're very poor. As far as I know, there is no tax credit related to taking a business loss.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Leperflesh posted:

Strictly speaking what your friend is doing is reducing his taxable income each year, by taking a deduction. This is not the IRS paying him money - it's just him reducing his taxable income by taking a distributed loss.

The IRS does actually pay people money (that is, a negative federal income tax, in which credits add up to more than tax), but generally only when they're very poor. As far as I know, there is no tax credit related to taking a business loss.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that they were paying him for it; he just pays them less every year because of it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I've mostly had good luck in TG kickstarters. Only Project Dark and Deck of Legends are really late, with Writhing Dark playing cards a fairly close second place, and all of them have had recent updates. I'm never backing another PC game, though. 0/5 have delivered so far.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Well James Wallis released the first part of the 'Alas Vegas' Preview after an 15 month delay.

I've been getting more and more frustrated with that project...every single update is more doom and gloom "oh I've been sick" "oh I've had writers block" "oh I don't have anything done yet" over and over and over again. Each time with a new promised deadline that gets hilariously missed.

Even now with the preview out, there's a line in the KS update that says something to the effect of "well doing this preview delayed work on the finished product". Yeah, way to give a big middle finger to the backers holding you accountable to your promises. "Hey here's this preview document, hope you don't mind that doing this thing I said I would do is going to delay the final book EVEN MORE".

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I've been getting more and more frustrated with that project...every single update is more doom and gloom "oh I've been sick" "oh I've had writers block" "oh I don't have anything done yet" over and over and over again. Each time with a new promised deadline that gets hilariously missed.

Even now with the preview out, there's a line in the KS update that says something to the effect of "well doing this preview delayed work on the finished product". Yeah, way to give a big middle finger to the backers holding you accountable to your promises. "Hey here's this preview document, hope you don't mind that doing this thing I said I would do is going to delay the final book EVEN MORE".

I don't mind very much, as long as he finishes it. And the preview looks interesting, with different Dealers running different acts of the story and not knowing what's coming. I am sympathetic; I lived the life of a full-time freelancer for a while and, at that time anyway, couldn't do better than make ends meet, even though I had time to do so much more. Writing's hard.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

homullus posted:

I don't mind very much, as long as he finishes it. And the preview looks interesting, with different Dealers running different acts of the story and not knowing what's coming. I am sympathetic; I lived the life of a full-time freelancer for a while and, at that time anyway, couldn't do better than make ends meet, even though I had time to do so much more. Writing's hard.

I think a large part of the kickstarter failure rate is that before kickstarter you basically only heard about products that were almost complete, and definitely didn't hear about the various health/social/financial issues that can get in the way of making something. Now, not only are you hearing about a lot more products than you would have before, you get to hear how things are going wrong. Then again, having a large amount of money already received for a product must blunt your sense of urgency in getting it made at least a little.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Flavivirus posted:

I think a large part of the kickstarter failure rate is that before kickstarter you basically only heard about products that were almost complete, and definitely didn't hear about the various health/social/financial issues that can get in the way of making something. Now, not only are you hearing about a lot more products than you would have before, you get to hear how things are going wrong. Then again, having a large amount of money already received for a product must blunt your sense of urgency in getting it made at least a little.

Yeah, just to clarify my position a bit, I'm not ragging on Alas, Vegas for missing the projected date. Kickstarted dates are a rough guideline at best. I'm specifically grumpy that Wallis seems to do nothing but complain about his life and justify this latest delay in Kickstarter updates. He even took a public poll asking "Should I press on with Vegas or take a break and work on other stuff". I'd be a happier backer if instead of missed promised date after missed promise date, there was just one big update saying "Hey, stuff happened, we're behind schedule, it'll be ready when its ready."

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
In general Kickstarter both attracts people who are new at making stuff (because established people don't need that pre-funding as much) and leads them to promise a lot (by way of stretch goals). Given that plus Life In General it's more surprising when projects are actually on time, though a good project creator keeps it from getting too late and is generally transparent about delays.

For my part having other people's money and a product I needed to finish was unbelievably stressful. One designer I know said he prefers Patreon because he makes stuff and then gets money for it rather than the other way around. (Though you have to be doing little PDF things for that to really work.)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Editions of RPGs by one guy take a lot of time. Didn't T5 end up being the better part of a decade in the making?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

jivjov posted:

Yeah, just to clarify my position a bit, I'm not ragging on Alas, Vegas for missing the projected date. Kickstarted dates are a rough guideline at best. I'm specifically grumpy that Wallis seems to do nothing but complain about his life and justify this latest delay in Kickstarter updates. He even took a public poll asking "Should I press on with Vegas or take a break and work on other stuff". I'd be a happier backer if instead of missed promised date after missed promise date, there was just one big update saying "Hey, stuff happened, we're behind schedule, it'll be ready when its ready."

You might be. Most people would get really nervous when 6+ months go by with nary a peep from the project creator.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

malkav11 posted:

You might be. Most people would get really nervous when 6+ months go by with nary a peep from the project creator.

Well I'm not saying that he shouldn't give progress updates. I just want him to stop promising timeframes or dates or specific milestones. Tell us what has been accomplished since the last update and leave it at that.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Speaking of creators and their late kick starters...

quote:

Gareth-Michael Skarka on September 11
Ben--
I've been dealing with a major family emergency for the past couple of days. Mostly resolved now, thankfully.
I'm not going to waste your time with more updates -- the next time you hear from me, it will be to announce delivery.

Far West is the gift that keeps on giving.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Far West is the gift that keeps on not giving.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

GMS posted:

the next time you hear from me, it will be to announce delivery.

And he was never heard from again. The end.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And he was never heard from again. The end.

So you're saying there's a happy ending to this story.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

jivjov posted:

Well I'm not saying that he shouldn't give progress updates. I just want him to stop promising timeframes or dates or specific milestones. Tell us what has been accomplished since the last update and leave it at that.

Well, hey, I'm with you there. I generally think promising delivery dates when you're not actually at the point where things are printing and shipping is a bad idea. (Including during the actual Kickstarter period.)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Editions of RPGs by one guy take a lot of time. Didn't T5 end up being the better part of a decade in the making?

Counting errata, they aren't done yet. On the other hand, I am confident there will eventually be a perfect text of the T5 rules.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
And unicorns and ...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"...or me posting something hateful and dumb on Twitter or G+ every twenty minutes. But other than that..."

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

That's basically Kingdom Death. One update was "I'm not going to give any indication of when I will be done because I have no idea what I'm doing. Oh, by the way I'm not going to update for 3 months". Post a complaint in the comments and you get jumped on by 50 people who are fine with it.

At least now he's showing what's left and the progress on the items.

EDIT:
In good news I really like the breakfast cult theme, but never really did any GMing / never used FATE before. I did run some one off scenarios before... but how "new GM" friendly is the system and setting?

LordAba fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 23, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Fate is pretty GM-friendly, Fate Accelerated especially so! Breakfast Cult introduces some extra mechanics but they shouldn't make it harder.

Breakfast Cult is a mystery setting so the book is intentionally GM-friendly to help you get into it. Ideally you'll be able to open the book, grab a bunch of NPCs/monsters/etc. out of it and put together an adventure without much fuss.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Speaking of Far West, since it was funded, how many other RPGs have been successfully funded and actually seen release? Dungeon World and 13th Age both come to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Ratpick posted:

Speaking of Far West, since it was funded, how many other RPGs have been successfully funded and actually seen release? Dungeon World and 13th Age both come to mind.

Better Angels
Magicians
Fate Core
Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide
Torchbearer
Kingdom

• Locked thread