Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

spog posted:

1960 for a Mini van

Not sure how you can top this? A 1950's rollerskate with a roof rack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

EightBit posted:

Extra machine time, cutting splines on a shaft that long can't be quick or cheap; you don't frequently have a single lobe fail without the rest of the camshaft failing too, so there's no maintenance angle there either.

I know toyota did it with their big diesels- My 1HD-FTE engine has a cam thats a straight shaft with splines cut into it and the lobes pressed on afterwards and thats for a nearly meter long 6 pot diesel. Probably explains why a long block is $15K from factory...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I knew drat well that I was going to get beaten, but I tip my hat to you

Length 3300mm
Load Capacity: 46 cu ft = 1,300 litres

Volvo V60
Length: 4635mm
Load Capacity (seats lowered) 1,200 litres

drat, Issigonis was clever.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

spog posted:

I knew drat well that I was going to get beaten, but I tip my hat to you

Length 3300mm
Load Capacity: 46 cu ft = 1,300 litres

Volvo V60
Length: 4635mm
Load Capacity (seats lowered) 1,200 litres

drat, Issigonis was clever.
Issigonis didn't have to deal with modern car safety/emissions standards either

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Everything looks so tidy and clean and undamaged. That strut doesn't look at all like it just broke loose and burst through a fender.

It's going to be the next level in the hellaflush trend.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

You Am I posted:

Issigonis didn't have to deal with modern car safety/emissions standards either

That, and the v60 is more style than storage space.

My 740 wagon? 2,124 liters. :chord:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

They have plastic fenders? Also I'm guessing that made a hell of a noise.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The fun bit is that the Mini was originally sold as the Austin Se7en.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

I have to see what it looks like under the hood. So many questions!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Saw one of them at a car show once. In person they look awesome.

Guy Random
Oct 22, 2010

You guys are all missing something kind of obvious. That's just the spring top hat. The actual mount is still in the fender well. You shouldn't be able to see the strut bearing.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Had a look at a customer's 8k telehandler today. My manager informed me that the motor mount was "cracked or hosed up or something." Well let's have a look.

One side looks okay. Let's see the other...

Ah. Yeah. That's not good. One bolt is MIA, and the other two are sheared off in the block. Fantastic. Unfortunately both sides are part of one large bracket that runs under the engine and bolts to the frame in the centre. Have to lift the engine up to get it out and extract the bolts.

Probably OSHA.jpg.

Obligatory. Both bolts caught on the drill bit and backed out with no issue.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Guy Random posted:

You guys are all missing something kind of obvious. That's just the spring top hat. The actual mount is still in the fender well. You shouldn't be able to see the strut bearing.

Yup. That bearing is part of part 1 here.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

:stonklol:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

gotta clear dem rims, bruh.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
How would you even align that!? Facncy German poo poo requires a dedicated scan tool but even that would go "What the honest gently caress?!"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Horrible Operator Failures.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Horrible Operator Failures.

Soon to be horrible mechanical failure. Does anyone have pics of the aftermath of that, I've seen that ATV strapped down like that a bunch of times but never what happened to it after they started driving. I want to believe it's real, but I've got a feeling it was strapped down that way just for the photo :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The narrative in my head goes: the Driver and Some Idiot were out riding ATVs. Some Idiot has a brainfart and straps the ATV down like that while the Driver does other stuff. The Driver got back and barely managed to take that picture between fits of laughter.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I at least like to think I'd be aware enough to notice my load shifting as soon as I started to roll and stop before crushing the bed like an aluminum can.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The lock box on the rear is optional & comes off easily.
"Lock box" and "comes off easily" are two phrases one generally doesn't want to see in the same sentence.

I'm reminded of the picture of the dipshit who got a gauge put in his cheek so you can always see the inside his mouth.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

veedubfreak posted:

They have plastic fenders? Also I'm guessing that made a hell of a noise.

All the E92s do, makes them easy to replace / hard to ding.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

It took me the dozen or so quotes and looking at the thread title to realize this wasn't some new anti-flush style. I kept looking for how it had been welded in.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Found out why the blower only worked on high on the GTI-R-P

lovely part is the pins rusted into and broke off on the pigtail so now that needs to be changed as well.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

FuzzKill posted:

Found out why the blower only worked on high on the GTI-R-P

lovely part is the pins rusted into and broke off on the pigtail so now that needs to be changed as well.

That worked? :magical:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
This power steering pump did not.

Lady drove with the pully flying around in the engine bay for 5 highway miles to our shop and boiled nearly all her coolant.
The worst part is we just put it in 2 months ago.
But its ok because"Its warranty, not a guarantee!" :D Cheap parts! :suicide:

Edit: Fixed, its been a long week. Time to drink.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 21, 2014

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
You mean power steering pump?

Coolant boiling from lack of belt is my guess.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
drat, and I thought my junk power steering pump from February was the most hosed one I'd ever see. That's just plain impressive.

atomicthumbs posted:

That worked? :magical:

Normally the high setting on a blower motor skips the resistor together, the resistor just taps into the wire as it goes by. The lower speeds go to various taps on the blower resistor via a multi-position rotary/slide switch. That switch is another common failure point, since manufacturers are cheapasses and love to shove 20 to 40 amps through a lovely slide switch down underrated wiring to the blower resistor and motor, though some did it right with a relay bank near the resistor and it's now becoming a moot point since many makers are switching to (much superior) PWM driven blower motors as they computerize their HVAC controls.

For example here's the circuit diagram for a 1999 jeep cherokee: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=16386 (note that switch position 1, HIGH, connects to the resistor block, but doesn't go through it.)

insta
Jan 28, 2009

kastein posted:

drat, and I thought my junk power steering pump from February was the most hosed one I'd ever see. That's just plain impressive.

Normally the high setting on a blower motor skips the resistor together, the resistor just taps into the wire as it goes by. The lower speeds go to various taps on the blower resistor via a multi-position rotary/slide switch. That switch is another common failure point, since manufacturers are cheapasses and love to shove 20 to 40 amps through a lovely slide switch down underrated wiring to the blower resistor and motor, though some did it right with a relay bank near the resistor and it's now becoming a moot point since many makers are switching to (much superior) PWM driven blower motors as they computerize their HVAC controls.

For example here's the circuit diagram for a 1999 jeep cherokee: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=16386 (note that switch position 1, HIGH, connects to the resistor block, but doesn't go through it.)

Ah the days when copper was cheap and micros were expensive :allears:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Blower speed adjustment by shoving the power through a resistor pack is kinda hilarious when you think about it. The pack is placed in the airstream to keep it cool, but there more it needs cooling, the less airflow there is. That's not even to mention that oftentimes you want cold air, yet it's passed over something hot just before it gets to where it's going.

PWM adjusted blower motors is the way to go.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bolind posted:

Blower speed adjustment by shoving the power through a resistor pack is kinda hilarious when you think about it. The pack is placed in the airstream to keep it cool, but there more it needs cooling, the less airflow there is. That's not even to mention that oftentimes you want cold air, yet it's passed over something hot just before it gets to where it's going.

PWM adjusted blower motors is the way to go.*

*: also cooled by the air stream in the vent piping.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bolind posted:

PWM adjusted blower motors is the way to go.

When the resistor pack in my brother's '97 Mirage went, he replaced it with a microcontroller running his own PWM firmware (128 speeds, start at max speed and ramp down to overcome fan inertia). When the engine block went, he moved it to my '97 Mirage :hellyeah:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Slavvy posted:

*: also cooled by the air stream in the vent piping.

PWM controllers operate the MOSFET or BJT entirely in saturation or all the way off, so there really isn't much heat involved. Some, but nowhere near like the old nichrome winding blower speed resistors.

E: this is also why old computers of the 60s and 70s had a ~100W power supply that weighed like 80lbs and consisted mostly of iron core transformer and blast furnace level heat output, while modern computers can have a 1000W supply that weighs around 5lbs and produces very little heat (by comparison.) Switch-mode power supplies far outperform linears in almost every way. The failure modes are pretty hilarious though, the MOSFETs overheat, then go into thermal runaway (an overloaded hot MOSFET conducts better than it did cold!) And scatter themselves all over the inside of the power supply.

E2: in keeping with this thread, here are some MOSFETs that have shuffled off their mortal coil; entered the great conduction zone above; etc.

kastein fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 21, 2014

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I learned the hard way that if you ever pop the fuse in a PSU, and are too lazy to go get another fuse so you bridge the fuse holder with a handy bit of wire, the very next thing to go pop are the MOSFETs, and they'll happily take a random selection of other plugged-in stuff with them.

Nowadays, if the fuse in the PSU ever goes pop, I bless it for it's fine work in saving the rest of the computer from fiery death, and scrap the PSU.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah the last time I lost a PSU it fragged the new CPU, motherboard, one stick of RAM, a network card, and one of my hard drives too.

Power supplies aren't something to cheap out on, good brands only.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
I'm just going to leave this here.

http://www.carthrottle.com/watch-a-huge-earth-mover-tyre-blow-up-in-this-dramatic-inflation-cage-test/

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Not featured in the video, the similar reaction in the technicians pants.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Crunch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuK7qr_TY3g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And the ship's captain still claims it was the mule who ran into him :argh: