Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Doesn't drive much, likes German cars, not a performance enthusiast and likes prestige brands.

I can't think of anyone more suited to lease a 320i than this woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Your answers have been helpful.

coolmancraig
Aug 13, 2007
Don't you know how popular I am in real life?
So after fixing up my e30 over the last year it's on the road and driving well. It was so noisy to begin with (bad pilot/throwout bearings, CSB, guibo, water pump etc etc) but is now running quite nicely except for one noise I can't quite figure out.

This isn't my video. Its the exact noise I'm hearing, but a bit worse. I can only describe it as a raspy noise that comes on just after 2k rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFB7AYctRVI

I've adjusted the valves several times and even used a ghetto stethoscope to try and pin it down. I'm fairly confident it's not coming from the valves but that poo poo is noisy at the best of times so I'm not positive. The injectors are making a racket so I plan on giving them a good clean and refresh - not sure if that will fix the problem.

I know these motors make noise, especially with 190k miles on them. It runs much better than my old e30, I just can't remember that one making this kind of noise. It drives so nicely but when im cruising at 55mph all I can hear is TAP TAP TAP since its at a constant RPM.

Any ideas?

coolmancraig fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 19, 2014

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
nm

televiper fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 19, 2014

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

coolmancraig posted:

So after fixing up my e30 over the last year it's on the road and driving well. It was so noisy to begin with (bad pilot/throwout bearings, CSB, guibo, water pump etc etc) but is now running quite nicely except for one noise I can't quite figure out.

This isn't my video. Its the exact noise I'm hearing, but a bit worse. I can only describe it as a raspy noise that comes on just after 2k rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFB7AYctRVI

I've adjusted the valves several times and even used a ghetto stethoscope to try and pin it down. I'm fairly confident it's not coming from the valves but that poo poo is noisy at the best of times so I'm not positive. The injectors are making a racket so I plan on giving them a good clean and refresh - not sure if that will fix the problem.

I know these motors make noise, especially with 190k miles on them. It runs much better than my old e30, I just can't remember that one making this kind of noise. It drives so nicely but when im cruising at 55mph all I can hear is TAP TAP TAP since its at a constant RPM.

Any ideas?

Mine has a kind of similar rasp at around the same RPM... :shrug:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So this is for sale locally... I wonder how much it would cost to get the cancers out of it?

I also like the image of a trio of little old Polish ladies smoking copiously with the windows up, in a fairly new BMW. It just screams of some Golden Girls - meets - Godfather scenario.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CornHolio posted:

So this is for sale locally... I wonder how much it would cost to get the cancers out of it?

I also like the image of a trio of little old Polish ladies smoking copiously with the windows up, in a fairly new BMW. It just screams of some Golden Girls - meets - Godfather scenario.

Park an ozone machine in there for a weekend and it'd be fine. That'd be an awesome beater 7

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Park an ozone machine in there for a weekend and it'd be fine. That'd be an awesome beater 7

Will this really take out the years and years of smoking? I have considered getting one for my man cave and starting to smoke cigars in there when it is lovely outside, but never had any experience with one. If it will clean up that mess from an odor standpoint then I would have no worries about it handling a cigar or two a week.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you're ok with everything being stained with tar. I wouldn't go anywhere near that car, that sounds disgusting.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Sounds like a great candidate for a full interior pull and rollcage install. It'd be fun to just tear that thing apart, right down to metal everywhere, then build your own custom interior. Put in a bench seat from a pickup truck or something.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

meatpimp posted:

It would probably help some with the smell but the tar is probably there for good. Also, you'll never get it out of the foam in the seats or under the headliner. It would be impregnated in the sound insulation too.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ExecuDork posted:

Sounds like a great candidate for a full interior pull and rollcage install. It'd be fun to just tear that thing apart, right down to metal everywhere, then build your own custom interior. Put in a bench seat from a pickup truck or something.

Beater 7 racecar. I imagine with all the poo poo out of it, it would be pretty quick. I know with all the poo poo inside they are no slouch.

I still want to do a luxury car race. 7 series, S class, A8s, high end caddies. It would be hilarious to see how long they would go for.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
take it to 24 Hours of Lemons

doogle
May 24, 2003

I switched to 3.46 gears from 3.08 in my 135i and installed the differential lock down kit:

The left one is a 3.08 differential with a (broken) Quaife LSD, the new one is a 3.46 with an MFactory LSD.

This is the 4th bushing that is added by the lock down kit along with the arm that attaches to the differential to hold it in place.

Here is the 4th bushing connected to the plate that is attached to the differential.

Everything reinstalled but the exhaust

No more wheelhop. The gearing is going to take a bit to get used to, but so far I like it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

doogle posted:

No more wheelhop. The gearing is going to take a bit to get used to, but so far I like it.

Until it starts buzzing on the freeway and you start wanting one more gear.

Actually, though, going to a shorter rear-end is always a fun thing. Gas is getting cheaper, so screw it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bmw wouldn't warranty paint my front arches so I've ordered some carbon ones. Suck my balls rust. Try that.
Now I need to find a painter who can do it like an f40 so you can see some weave in the sun.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bape Culture posted:

Bmw wouldn't warranty paint my front arches so I've ordered some carbon ones. Suck my balls rust. Try that.
Now I need to find a painter who can do it like an f40 so you can see some weave in the sun.

RIP formerly presentable M3. :dings:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It will look literally the same you big drama queen :newlol:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

It will look literally the same you big drama queen :newlol:

A little birdie told me different:

Bape Culture posted:

you can see some weave in the sun.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Bape Culture posted:

Not doable, the gel coat is so bad thick on most aftermarket parts that you can't feel the weave through it.

Unless you're getting dry carbon fenders.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

doogle posted:

I switched to 3.46 gears from 3.08 in my 135i and installed the differential lock down kit:

The left one is a 3.08 differential with a (broken) Quaife LSD, the new one is a 3.46 with an MFactory LSD.

This is the 4th bushing that is added by the lock down kit along with the arm that attaches to the differential to hold it in place.

Here is the 4th bushing connected to the plate that is attached to the differential.

Everything reinstalled but the exhaust

Well done.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Stealth Like posted:

The 320 STARTS at 32k , and that's with no options. No leather seats, no xenon lights, no nav, manual seats, etc. Absolutely nothing. I would not buy a BMW without at least the premium package. A basic specced one is nearly 40k. The 320 also cannot be specced as high as a 328 either. She's probably better off finding a 1-2 year used 328 that will have more way more options and feel better than buying new at that price range. Also with a CPO the warranty will be as long or longer than factory.

Yup, the $32k MSRP (+destination charges, dealer fee, etc) cars also do not exist on dealer lots because unsurprisingly nobody wants to drive a $30k+ car without any of the comforts and conveniences you'd get on a $20,000 Hyundai. It is hard to find a built 3-series without the premium package and the majority are optioned at $38,000+ MSRP. On the bright side, BMW dealers can be shopped and negotiated, frequently to below their stated invoice with good timing and incentives available, and their financing is straightforward and competitive.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
Did you swap an AT pumpkin into a manual, or is that a re-geared manual with the LSD dropped in it? I'm still trying to get all of the finer points of these sorted, welded years, bolted years, manual vs AT, etc... I know they are all open diffs stock, but the sizes and the other poo poo was throwing me off when looking for LSD options.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Aflicted posted:

Did you swap an AT pumpkin into a manual, or is that a re-geared manual with the LSD dropped in it? I'm still trying to get all of the finer points of these sorted, welded years, bolted years, manual vs AT, etc... I know they are all open diffs stock, but the sizes and the other poo poo was throwing me off when looking for LSD options.

This is most likely an early AT pumpkin that was rebuilt by Mfactory with their LSD installed. Early ATs were large diff housings with bolted ring gears. Newer ATs are small housings with bolted ring gears (which wouldn't work in my car as I have a large housing). Nearly all manuals are large housings with welded ring gears (what I had), some of the early manuals may have been bolted though.

It was actually cheaper for me to swap to a rebuilt 3.46 than it would have been to get another 3.08 machined to accept an LSD. Mine failed catastrophically due to wheel hop (hence the lockdown kit).

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
OK, I was under the impression that all the AT units were physically smaller than the manual units. Now I need to go find out what the cutoff build date was for mine to see what I have since it is an AT. It is a 2010 with an October 09 build date, so I'm pretty sure it is bolted. I think there were a few early build months of bolted manuals as well. I'm not in the market for an LSD yet, but half the fun, and why I buy and sell cars, is learning about them. I am interested in that lockdown kit though, does it create a noticeable amount of NVH?

doogle
May 24, 2003

Aflicted posted:

OK, I was under the impression that all the AT units were physically smaller than the manual units. Now I need to go find out what the cutoff build date was for mine to see what I have since it is an AT. It is a 2010 with an October 09 build date, so I'm pretty sure it is bolted. I think there were a few early build months of bolted manuals as well. I'm not in the market for an LSD yet, but half the fun, and why I buy and sell cars, is learning about them. I am interested in that lockdown kit though, does it create a noticeable amount of NVH?

Yours is definitely a small housing with a bolted diff. The lockdown kit itself doesn't increase NVH at all, but if upgrade your subframe bushings you start to hear some gear whine as the differential bushings in the kit are aluminum. It isn't really noticeable unless you turn the radio off.

doogle fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 20, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
How are the non-M Z3 coupes, and what are they worth?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

Not terribly fast or agile, and even more prone to subframe tearing issues than an E36. Also have a kinda cheap interior for the price they originally sold for. Z4s are a big improvement in pretty much every way except looks. Someday I really want to own a Z3 clownshoe though, I love their looks.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

blk posted:

Hilariously enough, even more rare and thus expensive than the Ms, relatively. Its a niche thing. If you're not super into the clownshoe, its probably not worth it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

Kinda neat looking but really not worth it unless you get a great price.

The interior is noticeably worse than the Z3M but you can swap a LSD rear end in from an E30 really cheap.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Swapped my guibo today, of note mine is a 2003 euro diesel 6mt wagon, neither the heat shield nor the exhaust were actually in the way. I dropped the transmission support cross member and I could easily reach the bolts, but I did have fun compressing the propshaft enough to get the new one on. I cut the old one off.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I got new tires put on and washed the car, 245/275s front/rear on a 1 series look pretty meaty.

doogle fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 24, 2014

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
The journey begins, into the M roadster:

PO installed a "cold air intake"

lmao what

where do I even start on how to fix this (oh and the HIDZZZZZZZZZZZ)

(that piece of hose sitting on top of the strut was/is the "oem m roadster intake elbow" that I ordered from an eBay auction, in an attempt to remedy this. I think I might need more parts.)

Nait Sirhc fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 21, 2014

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

What's wrong with the intake?

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Dantu posted:

What's wrong with the intake?

What he has there is the ultra-desirable hot air intake system. The old style of intake on the z3m was a box on the right front with a square (boring) filter and some ducting that would take uncomfortably cold air up from a scoop in the lower bumper.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I think I have a leaky oil filter housing gasket in my E46 330i. Kind of low on funds right now, is this a job that a newb could handle? Parts look cheap, how much time should I set aside? Thanks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nait Sirhc posted:

The journey begins, into the M roadster:

PO installed a "cold air intake"

lmao what

where do I even start on how to fix this (oh and the HIDZZZZZZZZZZZ)

(that piece of hose sitting on top of the strut was/is the "oem m roadster intake elbow" that I ordered from an eBay auction, in an attempt to remedy this. I think I might need more parts.)

I would find a bmw breaker and grab the complete intake system, it's the only way to be sure.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think I have a leaky oil filter housing gasket in my E46 330i. Kind of low on funds right now, is this a job that a newb could handle? Parts look cheap, how much time should I set aside? Thanks.

A quick google search would be your friend. Its a fairly common leak. Time taken depends on you, but if you gather all your tools before and spray any dubious looking bolts the night before, it shouldn't take all day. Pelican parts has a step by step pictorial here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...Replacement.htm

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's not awful. If it's your first time add an hour to an hour and a half to whatever time estimate given. Replace the oil line to the VANOS while you're in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

GDCS weirdness now. My top hose is collapsing but only after the car has been left overnight;

Extra stuff;
- This is a new expansion tank, hose, cap, radiator etc.
- Happens only after the car has been left long enough to get back to cold/ambient temperature.
- When hot, all hoses are fine. And full of lovely pressurised coolant.
- No leaks (the dirt/spray is from when I did the bleed process wrong and sprayed myself with coolant :v:)
- Unscrewing either the bleed screw/ET cap will hiss a bit, relieve the pressure and the hose springs back.
- I've bled this system thoroughly.