Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Luigi Thirty posted:

Do you also not like Steve Austin because you can't actually wrestle a fly what is this garbage :fishmech:

You know, I don't think any members of Bullet Club are even owls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well you see if you listen to Jim Cornette you get these opinions (well, with Wendy's instead of Sonic) but with other goon-approved opinions such as "gently caress Republicans" and "there is no God" instead of "I became a man when my dad made me kill puppies"

Main difference is Cornette isn't condescending to fans. It never feels like he's talking down or thinks he's above the fans. He's just condescending to everyone else. He makes it come off as that it's not Cornette vs Russo and Cornette vs WWE but that it's wrestling fans vs Russo and wrestling fans vs WWE. Cornette sounds happy reading fan emails about Russo and sometimes says he wishes he would have thought of that. There's a jovial mood towards internet wrestling fans, like in the last podcast when he's debating a fan email about if Kevin Nash had more than 6 moves. With JR, it's just bitterness.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jim Cornette seems like a fun guy to talk to who is still very passionate about the business, basically.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Main difference is Cornette isn't condescending to fans. It never feels like he's talking down or thinks he's above the fans. He's just condescending to everyone else. He makes it come off as that it's not Cornette vs Russo and Cornette vs WWE but that it's wrestling fans vs Russo and wrestling fans vs WWE. Cornette sounds happy reading fan emails about Russo and sometimes says he wishes he would have thought of that. There's a jovial mood towards internet wrestling fans, like in the last podcast when he's debating a fan email about if Kevin Nash had more than 6 moves. With JR, it's just bitterness.

I've met Cornette once and he seems like just about the nicest conceivable guy in wrestling.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

oatgan posted:

I can't take a guy seriously who likes Brian from Family Guy

i can't take a guy seriously who likes family guy

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

A lot of JR's bitterness is just being a WWE office guy for a decade. Around Wrestlemania he was on twitter talking about ungrateful wrestlers who should be happy with their payoffs.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

A lot of JR's bitterness is just being a WWE office guy for a decade. Around Wrestlemania he was on twitter talking about ungrateful wrestlers who should be happy with their payoffs.

Meanwhile every other wrestler who's been in the WWE knows that the system for payouts is a low-ball and you have to go demand more.

JR is the battered spouse of WWE.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

And Cornette talks about how escaping from being a WWE office guy to running OVW made him a lot less bitter, at least until Johnny Ace took over as talent relations from JR and ran the relationship with developmental into the ground.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

does bryan write any part of his own newsletter anymore

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Cardboard Box posted:

does bryan write any part of his own newsletter anymore

Nobody reads it so what does it matter?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bryan ranting about Roy Nelson's diet leading up to Dave reminding him he fought Mark Hunt was wonderful.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Cactus Jack posted:

Nobody reads it so what does it matter?

true. i look at it occasionally when i have nothing else to do and i just noticed in the latest one that like no part of it says "by bryan alvarez"

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Bryan says it's Dave that needs a new smoke detector battery. I don't understand how Dave puts up with that noise

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

sorry wrong browser tab

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

Bryan says it's Dave that needs a new smoke detector battery. I don't understand how Dave puts up with that noise

Dave is a robot, it probably helps him feel at home

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

ch3cooh posted:

After a while the beeping becomes pretty much unnoticeable to someone who is around it all the time

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Austin is heavy banging they two women at the gym also sick of hearing about his loving diet

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Of course, Bryan doesn't know what Grindr is. Also Brent messaged Wang, but unfortunately these two sentences are unrelated.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Of course, Bryan doesn't know what Grindr is. Also Brent messaged Wang, but unfortunately these two sentences are unrelated.

Didn't he admit to living in a bubble in the last month or so? Or was that Dave? I know Mike brought up the Mr. Burns thing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wang only cares about the head? Bad jelqnique, Wang.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I understand the argument Dave made about the loyal PPV buyers, but does it really matter?

These are the same people that continued to watch and buy shows regardless of how loving terrible and worthless they were and I'm supposed to believe this will be the tipping point? I mean, it's ignorant as hell no matter how you look at it, but I just don't think anyone will care.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Meltzer is on JR's podcast tomorrow. This should be interesting.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Meltzer is on JR's podcast tomorrow. This should be interesting.

It should be but JR will find a way to make the interview feel like a bunch of tangents with one good story. Austin really screwed the pooch when he forgot to hit that drat record button.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Look, folks, I could tell you that I remembered everything that came up on the Ten Count this week, but I would be lying. Rest assured that our core strengths (wrestling, BAM! cola, sunsweet being upset about BAM! cola, and bad jokes) were all touched on, at length.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Your podcast is not very soda-friendly. Last week I was almost promised a pro-soda environment and could not be more disappointed with its reception.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

Your podcast is not very soda-friendly. Last week I was almost promised a pro-soda environment and could not be more disappointed with its reception.

I prefer the term "Sudsy Browner." That is for all non Surge Sudsy Browners. Surge is Surge.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

Didn't he admit to living in a bubble in the last month or so? Or was that Dave? I know Mike brought up the Mr. Burns thing.

bryan admits to living in a bubble every time his lack of pop culture knowledge comes up

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I thought that while he was right to criticize their portrayal of Bryan as champ Dave wasn't exactly on target with his rant about the rental car a few months ago.

But goddamn, that Total Divas segment sounded like a hilariously bad way to depict a guy who was your world champ until he got hurt. Fortunately it seems to basically exist in it's own canon.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

edit: sry my phone rear end posted.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Charles Gnarwin posted:

It should be but JR will find a way to make the interview feel like a bunch of tangents with one good story. Austin really screwed the pooch when he forgot to hit that drat record button.

I'm still holding out hope that Dirtsheet Hoot shows up randomly on Talkin Shop.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm still holding out hope that Dirtsheet Hoot shows up randomly on Talkin Shop.

If they have tanahashi ask him to do it I bet he would. What do you think tanahashi's hoot name would be?

So the county where redneck island is filming is a dry county on Sundays. Having to explain to steve Austin that I can't sell him a beer sounds like one of the scarier things I can think of.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ch3cooh posted:

If they have tanahashi ask him to do it I bet he would. What do you think tanahashi's hoot name would be?

So the county where redneck island is filming is a dry county on Sundays. Having to explain to steve Austin that I can't sell him a beer sounds like one of the scarier things I can think of.

Choppin Hoot
Air Guitar Hoot
Bad rear end drove to the hospital with a knife sticking out of him Hoot

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Thauros posted:

I thought that while he was right to criticize their portrayal of Bryan as champ Dave wasn't exactly on target with his rant about the rental car a few months ago.

But goddamn, that Total Divas segment sounded like a hilariously bad way to depict a guy who was your world champ until he got hurt. Fortunately it seems to basically exist in it's own canon.

What is the problem, that Bryan was depicted as poor?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

What is the problem, that Bryan was depicted as poor?

More that he didn't have cash on hand since they just bought their house and that he's not on the road so he's not making immediate money (I don't think downsides exist in Total Divas universe).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
It is pretty silly. My wife is a casual watcher at best and I explained to her that Bryan would never have to work a day in his life since he's rich, and could do autograph signings/appearances for the next 50 years and make plenty of money.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Dave says he could open a wrestling school and be set for life, plus as one of the company's biggest stars, it makes WWE look rinkydink that he couldn't afford $150k.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Daniel Bryan posted:

it makes WWE look rinkydink that he couldn't afford $150k.

Casual watchers will think not working = not paid and aren't doing deep financial analyses of WWE's investor calls like Dave is. This is Dave being unable to see a thing from a non-Dave perspecdave.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Casual watchers will think not working = not paid and aren't doing deep financial analyses of WWE's investor calls like Dave is. This is Dave being unable to see a thing from a non-Dave perspecdave.

Are you saying that Dave... has trouble understanding things from the perspective of other people?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

In fairness to Dave, the show airs on a network that pretty much exclusively caters to people who are into the whole fame/extreme wealth thing and making a massive deal of $150k on an E! show does have a chance of ruining that image in the eyes of the casual viewer.

I mean, this is a network where the highest rated show has been about three sisters who are idolized because they're attractive and their dad made a lot of money. They also give shows to rear end in a top hat kids of rich people just because and routinely glorify excessive plastic surgery.

Dave made a likely correct point in a wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Main event wrestlers have always been portrayed as wealthy and successful in every major company other than TNA. Depicting the guy who main evented Wrestlemania the way TNA would is pretty stupid.

• Locked thread