Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

of all the things wrong with metro, I don't get why their color selection is so very very ugly

steve-jobs-microsoft-doesnt-have-taste.flv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

fleshweasel posted:

it kills me to see "Control Panel" and "PC settings" on the same menu. What do words even mean any more
well where else are you going to choose from the ugliest shades of orange and blue for your tile menu

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i cant get over how some of the icons dont use the metro theme every time a windows 8 screenshot is posted. its like they gave up half way through remaking the icons. its extremely Microsoft.
visual stuff is usually added last

but this is microsoft so it won't be added at all ever

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

creationist believer posted:

steve-jobs-microsoft-doesnt-have-taste.mov

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

they'll redo those icons that are visible by default. but there are still the zillions of icons that exist and they will each be of a different generation of windows. like a really big and disorganized fossil collection

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

THC posted:

like a really big and disorganized fossil collection
the company or the os

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the company or the os

ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i cant get over how some of the icons dont use the metro theme every time a windows 8 screenshot is posted. its like they gave up half way through remaking the icons. its extremely Microsoft.
Only metro apps have metro icons

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
aren't there still icons from windows 95 in windows 8 if you dig deep enough

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Metrication posted:

aren't there still icons from windows 95 in windows 8 if you dig deep enough
even earlier than that

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

Only metro apps have metro icons

wait i thought they were all metro apps because they were huge tiles.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
this is one i can think of off the top of my head

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
can someone please confirm that windows 9 is still going to have moricons.dll included?

i cannot fathom to function a computer without that zesty little fox

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
the thing is ms can't force all pre-existing windows applications to create new icons which match their new style. a large number of pie-in-the-sky ui designs ignore this. even if ms created new icons for everything from regex upwards inside the os, they would still have this problem. their new design needs to look good with a mishmash of all styles of icon, and their new icons need to work alongside all other icons

it's funny that they haven't successfully concealed this problem in their own screenshots though

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

qntm posted:

the thing is ms can't force all pre-existing windows applications to create new icons which match their new style. a large number of pie-in-the-sky ui designs ignore this.

But MS could at least update all icons of applications that come bundled with Windows. This is not a "third party developers" problem.

Microsoft used to understand good design - think Windows 3.1 & Hot Dog Stand.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 21, 2014

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

can someone please confirm that windows 9 is still going to have moricons.dll included?

The best dll

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

But MS could at least update all icons of applications that come bundled with Windows. This is not a "third party developers" problem.

that is exactly what i just said

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

qntm posted:

the thing is ms can't force all pre-existing windows applications to create new icons which match their new style. a large number of pie-in-the-sky ui designs ignore this. even if ms created new icons for everything from regex upwards inside the os, they would still have this problem. their new design needs to look good with a mishmash of all styles of icon, and their new icons need to work alongside all other icons

it's funny that they haven't successfully concealed this problem in their own screenshots though

hell, w7 achieved that pretty well i think. they maybe did it by complete accident but it worked

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

I'm sure there are hundreds of legacy apps that reference moricons.dll. I doubt it will ever be removed. your fox pro icon can still be assigned to random items.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

those icons probably can't be changed because some legacy program references their size/contents/whatever in a way that the program will crash if there's a difference

the ghost of windows past will always haunt microsoft

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

can't wait to see this issue not be fixed:

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.

Number19 posted:

those icons probably can't be changed because some legacy program references their size/contents/whatever in a way that the program will crash if there's a difference

the ghost of windows past will always haunt microsoft

this same unchecked hubris is what presided over the disappearance of cool.dll and its splendid menagerie of pastel shaded ps/2's

please make inquires with the appropriate german computing magazine on my behalf

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I don't know what any of that means

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

Number19 posted:

I don't know what any of that means

if you never bought the Microsoft Plus! Pack you honestly have not lived

and i should have said ibm aptivas not ps/2s, i'm humiliated

Shadow Puppet Of fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 21, 2014

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

if you never bought the Microsoft Plus! Pack you honestly have not lived

and i should have said ibm aptivas not ps/2s, i'm humiliated

lol if you actually bought Plus! for windows 95 and didn't just borrow the cd from your friend's dad

just lol

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

i had no qualms about forcing my parents to spend $50 for 65536 color icons

an ati mach 32 needs some hi octane graphics on which to breathe

incongruous windows icon schemes are terribly important to me

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Millstone posted:

lol if you actually bought Plus! for windows 95 and didn't just borrow the cd from your friend's dad

just lol
look, SOMEONE's dad had to buy it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Leck posted:

look, SOMEONE's dad had to take it from work

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

can't wait to see this issue not be fixed:

lol

also if you set colors to automatic they usually pick the ugliest options for you

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

lol

also if you set colors to automatic they usually pick the ugliest options for you

automatic picks colors based on your background, so maybe you should fix that

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
ah yes this image has a little bit of red in it

let's make the windows hot pink

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Phoenixan posted:

ah yes this image has a little bit of red in it

let's make the windows hot pink
i don't see the problem here

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

the desktop windows look hideous in windows eight point one update one point oh. server 2012 r2 defaults to some ugly-rear end seafoam green with thin black text at a horrible dpi so it all looks wrong, the perfect product for enterprise

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

THE PLATFORM MASTER posted:

Lifetime Dev Center subscriptions 

Starting September 16, 2014, all Windows and Windows Phone developer accounts in Dev Center will transition to a one-time only Dev Center registration fee. 

With this change, you will no longer have to pay an annual renewal fee to maintain your Dev Center account. 

If you recently received an account renewal notification via email or in your Dev Center dashboard, you can ignore it as it was generated prior to instituting the change. 

All current Dev Center accounts will continue, without interruption. For more detail, please refer to today’s announcementfor further detail. 

Thank you, 
The Windows Store team

"Our developer numbers are going down year after year, what can we do to make this publicly less of a disaster?"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

while we're complaining about 8's design look at this padding:

bring back windows classic imo

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

cleartype was the beginning of the end

i want pixels

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

i had no qualms about forcing my parents to spend $50 for 65536 color icons

if you were pro you fixed that with regedit

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

wait

they took out the DLL full of aptiva icons!?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Millstone posted:

cleartype was the beginning of the end

yes, the displays for surface tablet computers (as opposed to the surface computing platform now known as pixelsense), known as cleartype was the beginning of the end. but the sub-pixel based text antialiasing solution also known as cleartype owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
why do people hate cleartype so much

• Locked thread