Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

old cleartype was fine, new cleartype looks like poo poo on any display that isn't a high dpi one. which on a pc is all of them because windows scales really badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

clear type offends my autism by making characters too thick or something I forget

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

remind me again what the two unrelated meanings of ClearType are?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

oh, right, the font rendering technology and the "Retina" wannabe

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Is there a "ClearType HD" yet?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MrMoo posted:

Is there a "ClearType HD" yet?

that's the Surface 1366x768 screen, ClearType Full HD is 1920x1080.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
16:9 is still the worst thing to ever happen to windows laptops

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

your posting is the worst thing to happen to my laptop

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

have never owned a 16:9 monitor, never will

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Phoenixan posted:

16:9 is still the worst thing to ever happen to windows laptops

explain

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
640x480 4 lyfe

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

16:10 is closer to the golden ratio than 16:9. qed

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

yes let's make 1366x768 mainstream and give everyone less overall pixels when 1280x1024 was already a common thing

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

screen resolutions are only just recovering from the almost decade-long stint where 1366x768 on a 15" screen was considered hd and good

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
my laptop has a 1600x900 screen

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Thanks Ants posted:

screen resolutions are only just recovering from the almost decade-long stint where 1366x768 on a 15" screen was considered hd and good

1366x768 was always a poverty spec. ten years ago my laptop was 1600x1200, a couple years after that 1920x1200. now it's 2880x1800. laptops for people with real jobs have had dpi and screen size trending up not down.

i don't really care what the $400 wal-mart special spec looks like this week, but microsoft cares a lot. they have to design software for OEMs to use at that price point

those poor bastards

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 21, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

it was quite hard to actually get non poverty-spec for while though. dell latitude, hp elitebook etc. were all rocking poo poo screens up to about a year ago.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Phoenixan posted:

yes let's make 1366x768 mainstream and give everyone less overall pixels when 1280x1024 was already a common thing

so what you're actually saying is that laptop resolutions have been poo poo. agreed. i still don't understand what's wrong with 16:9, though.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
a consumer-grade 6" cell phone can have a 1080p screen but a 17" consumer-grade laptop can't

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

laptops for people with real jobs have had dpi and screen size trending up not down.
tell us more about your 22" 12 lb asus "laptop"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thanks Ants posted:

it was quite hard to actually get non poverty-spec for while though. dell latitude, hp elitebook etc. were all rocking poo poo screens up to about a year ago.

even some of those dumb alienware laptops had 1366x768 screens

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Beeftweeter posted:

tell us more about your 22" 12 lb asus "laptop"

don't post my work laptop, let me do it

e: this is for enterprise java

carry on then fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 21, 2014

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
the best screen resolution was the 800x480 in the early netbooks. holy poo poo those sucked every kind of rear end.

that resolution would probably work better now when all web pages are designed for small portable screens

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
People doing CAD/CAM/etc work here buy Precision Laptops. They're pretty nice outside of being gently caress-off huge.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Thanks Ants posted:

1366x768 was never considered HD and was only considered good on an 11in MacBook Air

sorry your computers suck

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

my laptop has a 1600x900 screen

my MacBook Pro has had a 2880x1800 screen presenting a 3360x2100 desktop for two years now and still looks as gorgeous as the day it arrived

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

eschaton posted:

1366x768 was never considered HD and was only considered good on an 11in MacBook Air

720p is HD and fits inside a 1366x768 rectangle

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't really care what the $400 wal-mart special spec looks like this week, but microsoft cares a lot. they have to design software for OEMs to use at that price point

those poor bastards

they made their own bed, they gotta lie in it

windows was a knockoff for poors who couldn't afford a Mac from the day it was conceived

kinda like a Hyundai is for people who can't afford a Jaguar

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

eschaton posted:

tell that to every lovely laptop oem that still makes displays at that resolution and calls it hd (every best buy hp).

my computers have been fine, i went from a 14" 1400x1050 acer to macbooks pro. i cant deal with poo poo screens.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think the dell mini 9 is the best laptop ever made but dummeys could always spend money on other stuff becos this is america

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's actually a labtop

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eschaton posted:

kinda like a Hyundai is for people who can't afford a Jaguar

p sure they're just korean toyota at this point

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

i think the dell mini 9 is the best laptop ever made but dummeys could always spend money on other stuff becos this is america

hackintoshing my dell mini 9 is probably the most shameful technology thing I've ever done

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

hackintoshing my dell mini 9 is probably the most shameful technology thing I've ever done

admit that it felt soooo good for 10 minutes afterwards

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I used it as my travel device for like 2 years but then ipads came out

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

since when is Hyundai not just Coreayota

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

since when is Hyundai not just Coreayota

since they started mimicking jag in their designs enough that it's hard to tell their butts apart

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I prefer smaller screens on my laptop these days because macs actually have a usable virtual desktop and app fullscreen mechanism

high dpi is a must ofc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fabricated posted:

People doing CAD/CAM/etc work here buy Precision Laptops. They're pretty nice outside of being gently caress-off huge.

these things own for opengl stuff. they even seem to be fairly decently put together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hobbesmaster posted:

these things own for opengl stuff. they even seem to be fairly decently put together

theres probably still a room at Dell HQ where they make good stuff and every once in a while the hum of the AC unit cuts out and someone has to bang on the ceiling with a broom so the staff upstairs remember there are still people down there and turn it back on.

• Locked thread