Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Leelee posted:

Because blink in WoW never, ever malfunctions :)

Eh, even with that it's still one of the best utility spells in the game.

Lots of games include a short range teleport as part of their Wizard Package, they tend to be useful abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Best teleport spells were the "Evacuate" line in EverQuest. They had a small chance of failing, which is the last thing you want for your "OH poo poo LET'S EVACUATE" button.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?
I'm surprised no one has brought this up already.

Codex Entry: The Cardinal Rules of Magic posted:

You must not be under the misimpression that magic is all-powerful. There are limits, and not even the greatest mages may overcome them.

No one, for instance, has found any means of traveling-either over great distances or small ones-beyond putting one foot in front of the other. The immutable nature of the physical world prevents this.

Not that I really mind all that much that wizards get a teleport. Blinking around the battlefield is fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The parlous state of the barrier between the Fade and the real world means that magic that was once impossible is now blah blah blah

But I agree, it's a potentially fun spell, especially in multiplayer.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Mr Wikstroem posted:

I'm surprised no one has brought this up already.

Not that I really mind all that much that wizards get a teleport. Blinking around the battlefield is fun.

What!?! Bioware not being consistent with their setting!!! I am shocked I tell you, SHOCKED!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hey now, it says it "blurs" you across the battlefield. So maybe it's just super speed! Totally consistent!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or, the person who wrote that bit of the Codex was wrong.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

Or, the person who wrote that bit of the Codex was wrong.

This. People complaining about consistency (or the lack of consistency) in Bioware games have so many examples to choose from. But if the walls between the Fade and reality weaken and in part collapse, what was once impossible is now possible, it's not that hard. Never mind that the Thedas mages may have simply been too dumb to figure it out in the first place.

That static paralyze field sounds interesting. Cast it around melee enemies and then disengage. Once they run out of the field and get stunned, you can slaughter them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Peoples sometimes figure out how to do new things, and even sometimes forget how to do things they used to know how to do!

Also I imagine the Chantry wouldn't be too fond of any method of travel that involved a mage repeatedly entering the Fade unsupervised for any amount of time whatsoever!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

paragon1 posted:

Peoples sometimes figure out how to do new things, and even sometimes forget how to do things they used to know how to do!

Also I imagine the Chantry wouldn't be too fond of any method of travel that involved a mage repeatedly entering the Fade unsupervised for any amount of time whatsoever!

All of that is true, but it would have been nice had they addressed that by saying something to the effect of "utilizing new advancements in the craft," or something else to indicate that the disconnect is, in fact, intentional. As it is, it looks a lot more like bioware not remembering the lore from a previous game.

Again.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Keeshhound posted:

All of that is true, but it would have been nice had they addressed that by saying something to the effect of "utilizing new advancements in the craft," or something else to indicate that the disconnect is, in fact, intentional. As it is, it looks a lot more like bioware not remembering the lore from a previous game.

Again.

It's a preview of the abilities without any commentary aside from what these abilities do, perhaps you are expecting a bit too much?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Again.

This. Sure you could absolutely reason away the disconnect. But judging from Bioware's past this just seems more likely.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Torrannor posted:

It's a preview of the abilities without any commentary aside from what these abilities do, perhaps you are expecting a bit too much?

If I had the reputation for sloppiness Bioware's managed to accrue, and especially if the last games I released were Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, I would be very careful about how I presented my newest release. Bioware doesn't really seem to be doing that. :shrug:

I mean, really, if they'd just stuck my example line in front of the description for the skill, it would have been enough to at least suggest that the disconnect was intentional. I don't mean to sound like I want a fully detailed explanation of who it was that made the new discovery and how it was first implemented. Just that I'd like them to acknowledge that yes, this is going against what was previously understood about magic in this setting, and that is intentional.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 21, 2014

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

If I had the reputation for sloppiness Bioware's managed to accrue, and especially if the last games I released were Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, I would be very careful about how I presented my newest release. Bioware doesn't really seem to be doing that. :shrug:

I mean, really, if they'd just stuck my example line in front of the description for the skill, it would have been enough to at least suggest that the disconnect was intentional. I don't mean to sound like I want a fully detailed explanation of who it was that made the new discovery and how it was first implemented. Just that I'd like them to acknowledge that yes, this is going against what was previously understood about magic in this setting, and that is intentional.

I don't think too many people hated ME3/DA2 because they got the minutiae of the lore wrong, but rather because the games had terrible scripts which made mockery out of their claims of reactivity and choice. If they want to put in Blink because it's a fun and cool gameplay effect I really couldn't care less that a codex page I never read said they couldn't five years ago.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

This teleport poo poo is the most nitpicky complaint about a game I've ever seen. Especially when the description sounds more like fast movement than teleporting.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
This teleport poo poo better have some gags or NPCs reactions to you zipping around a battlefield. Specifically either Ex-circle know-it-alls coming up to you, lore in hand, and complaining that fade stepping shouldn't be possible; or, more importantly, a The Fly reference where a bug and a mage go into the fade and come out as Baxter Stockman or something.

The least you can do is make this funny or fun, BioWare. :colbert:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I don't think too many people hated ME3/DA2 because they got the minutiae of the lore wrong, but rather because the games had terrible scripts which made mockery out of their claims of reactivity and choice. If they want to put in Blink because it's a fun and cool gameplay effect I really couldn't care less that a codex page I never read said they couldn't five years ago.

I don't think so either. I just meant that if I was already on thin ice, I'd be doing everything I could not to piss off returning fans of any stripe, even if it's lore nerds.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Isn't the codex written from an in universe perspective anyway? Like all the stuff about magic is from some wizard book or something? So the person who wrote that entry could just be wrong.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
That bad track record consists of a game nobody remembers except for internet nerds and a game that's still regarded as a masterpiece by the general public barring the last 20 minutes.

That's not what I'd call thin ice.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I dunno, if I were trying to follow up DA2 I'd be working on trying to make the game actually fun instead of worrying about lore consistency.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Imagine if they had kept the guns the same as they were in Mass Effect 1 in the sequels, for the sake or lore consistency.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
What if we actually could care about STEVE as much as Sheppard?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

marktheando posted:

Imagine if they had kept the guns the same as they were in Mass Effect 1 in the sequels, for the sake or lore consistency.

Overpowered and so much fun, single-shot overheating sniper rifle was the best.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Flytrap posted:

That bad track record consists of a game nobody remembers except for internet nerds and a game that's still regarded as a masterpiece by the general public barring the last 20 minutes.

That's not what I'd call thin ice.

It is this. Outside of cynical forum goons, Bioware is still regarded as a top tier game company and the biggest name in RPGs along with Bethseda.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

marktheando posted:

They would have made a far more interesting game? But yeah, I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person who thinks that ME1 was by far the best of the Mass Effect series, so I won't fight that battle here.

marktheando posted:

Isn't the codex written from an in universe perspective anyway? Like all the stuff about magic is from some wizard book or something? So the person who wrote that entry could just be wrong.

Yep. Gaider's commented many times before that those rules aren't ironclad.

Anyway, slightly off topic, but anyone know when the Keep is releasing properly? It's meant to be this month, isn't it? I never got into the beta.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Crabtree posted:

What if we actually could care about STEVE as much as Sheppard?

You didn't care about Steve? You monster!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

CottonWolf posted:

They would have made a far more interesting game? But yeah, I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person who thinks that ME1 was by far the best of the Mass Effect series, so I won't fight that battle here.

I'm with you on that, but I'm sure the switch to ammo gave the series greater broad appeal, so :shrug:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Keeshhound posted:

I'm with you on that, but I'm sure the switch to ammo gave the series greater broad appeal, so :shrug:

Did anyone base their buying decision on if the game used ammo or not?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

socialsecurity posted:

Did anyone base their buying decision on if the game used ammo or not?

Don't be an rear end. I'm not knocking them for changing the gameplay, I'm just saying that they probably changed to an ammo-based system so that it would be more accessible to new players.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I liked the lore about the recharging guns in ME1, but gameplay-wise, the ammo system felt more fun because it introduced a more concrete tempo to combat. Gently tapping the ME1 guns so that they fired quite frequently but not frequently enough to overheat felt less enjoyable than the peaks and valleys of unload > reload.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

CottonWolf posted:

Anyway, slightly off topic, but anyone know when the Keep is releasing properly? It's meant to be this month, isn't it? I never got into the beta.

Everything I've read says "about a month before release", so probably sometime in late October?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

paragon1 posted:

Everything I've read says "about a month before release", so probably sometime in late October?

Anytime after the first week. But its EA so who knows.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Keep announced that they weren't taking any more beta sign-ups after last week, so yeah, a release may be pretty soon. No sense signing up for a beta when the beta's almost over.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Thor-Stryker posted:

Overpowered and so much fun, single-shot overheating sniper rifle was the best.

High-force rounds on low gravity worlds was fun. Enemies would fly into the stratosphere, never to be seen again.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm one of the few people who didn't really mind the ME1-style combat or the switch to ME2, I guess.

I spent a chunk of ME2 combat getting really angry at the giant red veins that appeared on the screen and got in the way of everything if Shep's health got too low though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

People hated DA2 because the actual game was bad, people hated ME3 because they are stupid.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Knuc U Kinte posted:

People hated DA2 because the actual game was bad, people hated ME3 because they are stupid.

If you can somehow manage to properly defend the Starchild, Cerberus devolving into Space Cobra, and every wonderful moment with The Only Child in the Galaxy, then I might concede you have a point.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Geostomp posted:

Cerberus devolving into Space Cobra

Hey now, that's an unfair comparison.

COBRA is a far more credible threat than Cerberus. :colbert:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Geostomp posted:

If you can somehow manage to properly defend the Starchild, Cerberus devolving into Space Cobra, and every wonderful moment with The Only Child in the Galaxy, then I might concede you have a point.
The story is crap but the shooting gameplay is good fun. Though I think you can probably consider the story in a Bioware game "part of the gameplay" since it's very much presented that way with how much they talk up "your choices shape the universe" and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

2house2fly posted:

The story is crap but the shooting gameplay is good fun. Though I think you can probably consider the story in a Bioware game "part of the gameplay" since it's very much presented that way with how much they talk up "your choices shape the universe" and such.

Honestly, Bioware needs to get the Dungeons and Dragons license back and just make Forgotten Realms games. No one gives a gently caress about your actions from game to game and there's enough cosmic threats for Bioware to chew on for dozens of games.

• Locked thread