Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

7lip posted:

Fold your pizza in half and make a pizza taco so you can eat it faster you fat fucks.

E: "in half", not "and half", whoopsie dasies .

LIFE HACK: Buy a dowel rod and tamp the food down your fat loving gullet until you explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Kuiperdolin posted:

You're not supposed to drink hot tap water.

It's potable water that's been heated, there's nothing wrong with drinking it.

Hot water tastes funny? Get a new anode #Lifehacks

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
If your hot water system is kept at anything under 60 degrees celsius drinking from it is a great way to catch Legionnaires' disease :ssh:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Stairs posted:

Out of all the things in this thread, the fact that she's using those chopsticks upside down pisses me off the most.

If you're taking sushi or other food from a serving plate, it's considered polite to use the wrong end of your chopsticks so you don't accidentally touch anything else with the end of the chopsticks you eat from*. The cameraman probably also has a pair and they're sharing a bag of Cheetos on their classy goony date.

*No one actually cares

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

aardwolf posted:

If your hot water system is kept at anything under 60 degrees celsius drinking from it is a great way to catch Legionnaires' disease :ssh:

Then it's a good thing that's the standard temperature and the lowest allowed is 49, which is still in the safe zone.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
60 is the minimum the World Health Organization recommends at the cylinder, with 50 at the tap. In any case, you seem to be assuming that every hot water system you meet is modern, correctly installed and maintained and that no landlord / building owner / supervisor / management chucklefuck in the history of mankind has been known to dial the temperature back a bit to save on the power bill.

I know it's your life and everything buddy but why take the risk?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Mines an inline gas hot water heater, no tanks, just heats as it passes through, so I think I'm safe right? :ohdear:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rudager posted:

Mines an inline gas hot water heater, no tanks, just heats as it passes through, so I think I'm safe right? :ohdear:

Considering only .00008% of Americans contract it, only 1/6th of those die, I think you're pretty safe.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Someone lazy landlord could also have built an extra room outside your apartment and hired a midget to poo poo in the pipe mere centimetres away from your kitchen wall. I know it's your life and all but, why take the risk of drinking poop? Just buy Evian like a good American.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Lifehack: distill rainwater in your own kitchen! It's the only way to avoid incredibly rare diseases, as well as the government controlling you with chlorine and flouride! :tinfoil::hf::eng101:

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

aardwolf posted:

YOLO

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Waci posted:

Someone lazy landlord could also have built an extra room outside your apartment and hired a midget to poo poo in the pipe mere centimetres away from your kitchen wall. I know it's your life and all but, why take the risk of drinking poop? Just buy Evian like a good American.

See, that's the first I look for in an apartment. Buildings that have a strict no midget making GBS threads in the pipes policy. However, I do accept normal sized clowns making GBS threads in the water. Makes you stronger.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

See, that's the first I look for in an apartment. Buildings that have a strict no midget making GBS threads in the pipes policy. However, I do accept normal sized clowns making GBS threads in the water. Makes you stronger.

How about staying at the Cecil Hotel in L.A.?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

cobalt impurity posted:

Lifehack: distill rainwater in your own kitchen! It's the only way to avoid incredibly rare diseases, as well as the government controlling you with chlorine and flouride! :tinfoil::hf::eng101:

And drink chemtrail run-off?! No thanks.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Lifehack: Buy tanks of liquid hydrogen and oxygen to manufacture your own artisanal water right in the kitchen! It's the only way to be sure.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Sounds like SOMEone's in the pocket of Big Oxygen. :argh:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

cobalt impurity posted:

Sounds like SOMEone's in the pocket of Big Oxygen. :argh:

Forget that. Hydrogen is lethal!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

aardwolf posted:

60 is the minimum the World Health Organization recommends at the cylinder, with 50 at the tap. In any case, you seem to be assuming that every hot water system you meet is modern, correctly installed and maintained and that no landlord / building owner / supervisor / management chucklefuck in the history of mankind has been known to dial the temperature back a bit to save on the power bill.

You're an idiot.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Well, now you've gone and hurt my feelings :saddowns:

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

So with the battery lifehack, why would the batteries explode exactly? The voltage should be correct, so is it that too much current is running through them? The inner physicist in me is confused.

E: \/\/ Both of these explanations make sense; I thought there was something inherently wrong with using smaller batteries. The setup the guy has is bad since the pieces of foil touch each other, but if the pieces of foil were separated properly it just seems like smaller batteries would just run out faster.

Autumn Angel has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Sep 22, 2014

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Autumn Angel posted:

So with the battery lifehack, why would the batteries explode exactly? The voltage should be correct, so is it that too much current is running through them? The inner physicist in me is confused.

They'd short out and heat up, hot chemical batteries explode.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Autumn Angel posted:

Office experiment time!
Take a C-cell battery (any battery will work, but I've had the most success with C-cells) and a thicker paper clip
Bend the paper clip so that it touches only the + and - poles and hold it on there for 15 seconds
See how much heat was generated? That heat will eventually build up a ton of pressure inside the sealed battery, making it explode and shoot boiling hot, toxic chemicals into your hand or lap or wherever you put your remote. It's about as dangerous as you can get with a battery before you get to "smoking a cigarette while checking the electrolyte in your lead/sulfur car battery" levels of stupid

E: I just got a great life hack, work next to a lit candle to see if you need to add more sulfuric acid to your battery without having to use a fancy meter on the electrolyte. Bonus lights show if you do!

E2: Do they even make batteries with accessible cells anymore? I only ever saw a hydrometer in my high school automotive class and in my grandpa's garage, and his was almost rotted out from age. I know I wouldn't be all that comfortable messing with sulfuric acid and hydrogen gas build up, but good lord, the general public would burn all of the skin off their faces before they even got to the acid part

The Door Frame has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Sep 22, 2014

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

aardwolf posted:

Legionnaire's Disease is mostly spread by inhaling aerosolized water so don't ever use how water in your shower :ssh:

Seriously though, its recommended not to drink hot tap water because the water sits in the tank/pipes and slowly picks up metals (faster in older tanks) the way water does in a garden hose, but you can't just let the tap run for a few seconds to get "fresh" water the way you can with cold. Its also generally acknowledged to not be particularly dangerous though, more of a "if you're boiling water on the stove, its slightly better to start with cold water than hot, but no biggie"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A Moose posted:

LMAO some of these idiots waste money on a thing that ONLY CUTS PIZZA.
You can cut up ham really small with it as well!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Wanna see me shotgun this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQDad31iu2o

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

Seriously though, its recommended not to drink hot tap water because the water sits in the tank/pipes and slowly picks up metals (faster in older tanks) the way water does in a garden hose, but you can't just let the tap run for a few seconds to get "fresh" water the way you can with cold. Its also generally acknowledged to not be particularly dangerous though, more of a "if you're boiling water on the stove, its slightly better to start with cold water than hot, but no biggie"

That's what anodes are for, it's all perfectly safe. Also, lol if you think running the taps means the water spent less time in pipes(unless it's well water).

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

There's an easy way to clean your filthy microwave without having to scrub. Just microwave a measuring cup filled with distilled water for 25 minutes, then drop half of a lemon into the water. The steam and citric acid from the lemon will loosen all of the stuck on food from the walls so that in a few minutes it can be easily wiped away.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

There's an easy way to clean your filthy microwave without having to scrub. Just microwave a measuring cup filled with distilled water for 25 minutes, then drop half of a lemon into the water. The steam and citric acid from the lemon will loosen all of the stuck on food from the walls so that in a few minutes it can be easily wiped away.

This but with ammonia. The extra m means more cleaning power.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DemeaninDemon posted:

This but with ammonia. The extra m means more cleaning power.

"Clean as a doornail"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Aggressive pricing posted:

That's what anodes are for, it's all perfectly safe. Also, lol if you think running the taps means the water spent less time in pipes(unless it's well water).

When I was growing up we had the choice between tank water or bore water. The tank water had to be delivered and, if you were caught doing something as stupid as "letting the water run", you'd get a smack upside the head. The bore water was so salty that we couldn't even run it through our lovely ancient hot water service because the limescale buildup would ruin it.

Growing up in the country had its advantages and disadvantages. The peace and quite and freedom to run around and make a mess was great. Everything else sucked.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
The batteries won't explode every time! Even with the foil touching. Here, i draw a loving diagram:

That's why the "put it on the negative side" doesn't make any sense.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

RabbitWizard posted:

The batteries won't explode every time! Even with the foil touching. Here, i draw a loving diagram:

That's why the "put it on the negative side" doesn't make any sense.

Beat me on the diagram since I had nothing better to do in office hours.

Also, it looks like a Mac mouse, which are arranged in the same direction (though I'm not sure if they are wired in parallel).

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm an idiot when it comes to circuits, so could you tell me if the following is correct: The last diagram is a circuit where the current can flow from one battery to the other and back forming a complete (short) circuit and resulting in the whole thing burning itself out due to there being basically no resistance on the circuit?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm an idiot when it comes to circuits, so could you tell me if the following is correct: The last diagram is a circuit where the current can flow from one battery to the other and back forming a complete (short) circuit and resulting in the whole thing burning itself out due to there being basically no resistance on the circuit?

Based on my dubious understanding of circuits and physics, the reason the last diagram results in an explosion is that the tin foil bridges directly from the + node on one battery to the - node on the other battery, which in and of itself isn't the issue (see the diagram on it's left) but rather in the process it cuts out the resistance provided by the circuit passing through the lamp.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

HMS Boromir posted:

In the last diagram you're correct, you'll just be shorting the batteries and providing no power to the device. Current will just flow continuously through both batteries, creating heat and eventually a boom.

Feeding power to a power source is usually a bad idea.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

HMS Boromir posted:

Yes, this is correct. Current always takes the way with the lowest resistance. In my diagram, the light has a resistance, the wire has practically none.
So it flows like this:

Producing a short circuit in the third setup. The batteries basically put out as much current as possible because of the muchmuch lower resistance in the setup and that is "not good":

booshi posted:

Feeding power to a power source is usually a bad idea.

Edit...Lifehack: Don't react to stupid lifehacks in detail and save 15 minutes of your life!

Edit2: vvvv gently caress you, i wish i was an engineer.

Edit3: vvvv Doublefuck you. You contributed not even a derail to the thread. And everyone agrees with me after my cool and educational diagrams!

RabbitWizard has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Sep 22, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's a lot of fun when threads get derailed with electricity stuff, and all the engineers come out of the woodwork but for some reason can never agree on anything.

Tell me more about resistors and circuits. We're all super interested. Oh god, diagrams :gizz:

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

RabbitWizard posted:

So it flows like this:

Your current flow is in the wrong direction :science:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
The convention for representing current is the direction that a positive test charge would travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Blame Ben Franklin