Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
can't decide if i want to play as danny devito or miek russ first playthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

steakmancer posted:

danny devito
please make this LP

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
maybe like 3 years ago when i had nothing but time on my hands

they cant duck me forever

steakmancer fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 22, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Geostomp posted:

If you can somehow manage to properly defend the Starchild, Cerberus devolving into Space Cobra, and every wonderful moment with The Only Child in the Galaxy, then I might concede you have a point.

I was thinking about the important part of a game, the actual part where you play a game, and not the lovely ending or story, which wasn't very good to begin with.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I was thinking about the important part of a game, the actual part where you play a game, and not the lovely ending or story, which wasn't very good to begin with.
The story is important in the game. Players think so, Bioware thinks so.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The story is important in the game. Players think so, Bioware thinks so.

I don't care. Mass effect 1 and 2 both had shite stories. 2 was actually a good game and that's the only reason I played 3. Story is probably the last thing I look for in a videogame because they are almost uniformly lovely.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If you care about stories, and were expecting something mind blowing after the imitation Josh Whedon schlock that Bioware has been consistently crapping for the better part of a decade, then you are probably stupid.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

k

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ruh roh, somebody's gettin' riled up 'bout vidyagames in a Bioware thread again.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If you care about stories, and were expecting something mind blowing after the imitation Josh Whedon schlock that Bioware has been consistently crapping for the better part of a decade, then you are probably stupid.

I wasn't expecting mind-blowing, I was expecting well-worn genre cliches competently executed, like the rest of the series had. Fight a big battle, you kill the Reapers, there's a big party, you get a sense of what happens next for the people you've interacted with and the places you've been; basically what happens at the end of Dragon Age.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I wasn't expecting mind-blowing, I was expecting well-worn genre cliches competently executed, like the rest of the series had. Fight a big battle, you kill the Reapers, there's a big party, you get a sense of what happens next for the people you've interacted with and the places you've been; basically what happens at the end of Dragon Age.

Mass Effect never had that though. Unless 1 had it and I don't know because it was too awful to finish.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Mass Effect never had that though. Unless 1 had it and I don't know because it was too awful to finish.
ME1 did have the big, triumphant battle at the end actually: Shepard kills Saren while the Normandy leads the fleet against Sovereign. Tonally it's exactly the right kind of ending for a big, dumb, fun space opera.

It didn't have the "what happens next" bit, because it wasn't the end of the story.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Bioware games are not known for their writing at all.

I mean they shouldn't be but saying that is really stupid.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Afraid of Audio posted:

Bioware games are not known for their writing at all.

I mean they shouldn't be but saying that is really stupid.

I've always felt they were known (at least modern Bioware) for their cinematic spectacle as well as their voice-acted dialog. That's the positives.

Well, that and introducing me to M4 pt 2, by the Faunts.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 22, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If Bioware had any balls, the final confrontation with the Illusive Man would have been a 15 minute conversation battle where you attempt to make him see your point of view through careful selection of argument instead of Did you choose the special magic coloured option at the start of the game. If so, congrats, you win the conversation. At least that would have made the lack of a final boss more palatable.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If Bioware had any balls, the final confrontation with the Illusive Man would have been a 15 minute conversation battle where you attempt to make him see your point of view through careful selection of argument instead of Did you choose the special magic coloured option at the start of the game. If so, congrats, you win the conversation. At least that would have made the lack of a final boss more palatable.

DX:HR style conversation battles in a more games would be p. cool

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 22, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Roobanguy posted:

DX:HE style conversation battles in a more games would be p. cool

Some of those were pretty good and probably would have fit in with a bioware game. I was thinking along the lines of the conversations with Atris in Kotor 2.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Some of those were pretty good and probably would have fit in with a bioware game. I was thinking along the lines of the conversations with Atris in Kotor 2.

I was also thinking that but decided to go with DX because while you do make atris doubt herself in those she just double downs on the crazy.

Getting rid of speech skills and the like and going with conversation battles in pretty much all games would be fine with me.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 22, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Roobanguy posted:

I was also thinking that but decided to go with DX because while you do make atris doubt herself in those she just double downs on the crazy.

Yeah HR would be a better fit for sure. Developers need to rip that system off.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I don't care. Mass effect 1 and 2 both had shite stories.

I liked ME1 Space Soap Opera story. It was very Star Trek-y. The problem was the follow up to the story in the sequels. They should have left it at that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It would have been better if you could shoot him at any time. Press the fire button at any time and he dies but you can maybe get a better result by talking him down. As it is the best result is when the game lets you shoot him anyway.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

Well, that and introducing me to M4 pt 2, by the Faunts.

The fact they used another Faunts song at the end of 3 was a nice touch.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Now thats realtalk right there

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

I like the timed element to dialogue selection in Alpha Protocol. I bet that would drive BSN kiddies nuts because they wouldn't always get to pick their PERFECT OPTION, which would be an added benefit.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Stroop There It Is posted:

I like the timed element to dialogue selection in Alpha Protocol. I bet that would drive BSN kiddies nuts because they wouldn't always get to pick their PERFECT OPTION, which would be an added benefit.

It drove me up the wall as well, for the RP aspects of it, or rather the lack of them. I like to keep a consistent tone in RPGs, and without being a method actor living the role, it sometimes requires you consider how your personality of the day would respond to a situation. It doesn't help that in Alpha Protocol you sometimes get fed a line that puts things into persepctive or reveal a twist, and then get 5 seconds to read and pick a line.

AP is a good game, but I really wished they had an option to turn that timed poo poo off.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

GhostBoy posted:

It doesn't help that in Alpha Protocol you sometimes get fed a line that puts things into persepctive or reveal a twist, and then get 5 seconds to read and pick a line.

I think it's awesome that in AP you sometimes get fed a line that puts things into perspective or reveals a twist, and then only get 5 seconds to react and pick a line!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

GhostBoy posted:

AP is a good game, but I really wished they had an option to turn that timed poo poo off.

They wanted you to react with your guts, not game the game. I think it was a brilliant idea but I understand that people might have a problem with it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's not a million miles from the difference between turn-based and real-time combat. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, it's just that the time-based dialog is so rarely seen.

E: I loved the timer, I thought it was a great idea in context.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 22, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I wasn't a fan of the timer on dialogue in Alpha Protocol. But then I'm one of those people who loves real time with pause games, and spend much of my time in Dragon Age and Mass Effect paused.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

marktheando posted:

Yeah I wasn't a fan of the timer on dialogue in Alpha Protocol. But then I'm one of those people who loves real time with pause games, and spend much of my time in Dragon Age and Mass Effect paused.

So like, turn based?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Drifter posted:

So like, turn based?

No I prefer real time with pause, best of both worlds.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The problem with the whole timed dialogue thing is it just means I save before conversations then reload if I pick a line that doesn't work or if I want to find out what two different lines do. A lot of clever systems meant to try and put you in the moment or force you to accept consequences really just end up becoming a bother to work around - personally I stopped playing Wasteland 2 when I realized too late that I'd been presented with a "save one or the other" choice and didn't want to have to replay a whole quest area just to get the outcome I wanted.

Telltale's games have timed dialogue but you can also just push pause whenever you want. If you want to think fast and live in the moment then do it but it shouldn't be mandatory for all playstyles. It's better game design to offer people the option on things like that, like iron-man and hardcore modes a lot of RPGs offer. They'll just be save-scumming anyway.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dolash posted:

The problem with the whole timed dialogue thing is it just means I save before conversations then reload if I pick a line that doesn't work or if I want to find out what two different lines do. A lot of clever systems meant to try and put you in the moment or force you to accept consequences really just end up becoming a bother to work around - personally I stopped playing Wasteland 2 when I realized too late that I'd been presented with a "save one or the other" choice and didn't want to have to replay a whole quest area just to get the outcome I wanted.
None of that is dependent on a timer though; the same situation occurs repeatedly in Bioware games.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
If you're replaying sections of the game because you'd rather do that and get your perfect playthrough than roll with the consequences of your decisions, that's kind of on you. Like, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, and I've done it myself plenty of times, but just because you can powergame everything doesn't mean you're obligated to.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 23, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

This is amazing the level of obsession and inability to cope displayed here.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is it all that surprising though? I mean when we look at how a lot of choice in games can completely gently caress you over later on in the game (from a "trying to get the best ending" perspective) based on pretty much bugger and all. That said this is going to be the first RPG where I actually do not try to get the best ending other than Alpha Protocol.

Actually come to think about it AP did a remarkably good job of not loving you over no matter what you chose.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Drifter posted:

This is amazing the level of obsession and inability to cope displayed here.

I honestly consider that more pathetic than the people who obsess over what character to romance or what Tali's sweat smells like, though there is probably a lot of overlap.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

I honestly consider that more pathetic than the people who obsess over what character to romance or what Tali's sweat smells like, though there is probably a lot of overlap.

According to the analysis her sweat would taste sweet, by the way.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Sputty posted:

Thank you so much for enlightening us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Sputty posted:

Thanks

• Locked thread