Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
I don't know what game you guys are talking about, your posts only show a giant blank space where some presumably awful video game name that doesn't exist to me should be. :colbert:

Amazingly enough you could play the entirety of Other M's Theater Mode during the amount of loading screens during the old Sonic '06 LP and still have time left to spare. It's like conglomerate awful. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

*loading screen*
Eggman: You've wasted so much of my time.

We're supposed to sympathise with the villain, right?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

*loading screen*
Eggman: You've wasted so much of my time.

We're supposed to sympathize with the villain, right?

He's the only character I like so far.

After all these years, he still loves dramatically flipping switches and pushing buttons like it was his first time setting off a death trap.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

After all these years, he still loves dramatically flipping switches and pushing buttons like it was his first time setting off a death trap.

It's really hard to ruin Eggman. He's a great villain with so much personality and flair, even this game with its awful plot couldn't gently caress him up. I still don't much like the design, though; he was always a cartoon, even in the previous games with people. The change is really loving weird.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So... I always thought the gems were what goes into those three lines under the juice bar in bottom right. They don't so... What the hell are they for?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's really hard to ruin Eggman. He's a great villain with so much personality and flair, even this game with its awful plot couldn't gently caress him up. I still don't much like the design, though; he was always a cartoon, even in the previous games with people. The change is really loving weird.

The whole cartoony animals x "serious" plot thing strikes again. We can't have cartoony people, that wouldn't be respectful to our timetravelapocalypseactsofterrorism.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 22, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Sonic 2006 is a treasure

Camel Pimp posted:

Sonic 2006 is a treasure

This makes all the loading screens worthwhile.

The Eggman typing one is perfect because it let's me finish off the obnoxious banner for my PSP-TV channel.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 22, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Why the hell does that curb spaz glitch even work? Look at Sonic and Tails, neither of them actually stand on the ground, they're both hovering a good inch or so off of it. There shouldn't be any collision for the game to get confused about.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'd guess that the game does look at the surface you're standing on and tries to position your character based on the ground beneath them and if you're standing on a seam, the game can't decide if it wants to position you standing at an angle or straight up. :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they're basically glued to the surface by an inch of invisible paste. You can see this when walking on the sloped roofs.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
My guess at what's going on is that the game does a raycast downwards based on the character's current hitbox to reposition him to the surface. Something like this:

e: Although that wouldn't explain why it also happens on the roof where the surface would intersect like /\. Hm.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 22, 2014

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I've just read through this LP. I used to be a big Sonic fan as a kid, but I've never played any of the 3D games. I don't know about the others, but this LP is making me glad I never played this one.

I actually thought the first video was going to be a con, I was almost certain it was the intro to a Final Fantasy game. I went to close that first video only a few seconds in, but then Hulkamatt's reaction convinced me to stick with it. Sure enough, it really was a Sonic game, and I can't thank you enough for inflicting it upon yourself.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Sonicman is the hero Soreanna needs, but not the one it deserves.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Is this from an official Sega ad or a fan attempt at a viral video?

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

e: Although that wouldn't explain why it also happens on the roof where the surface would intersect like /\. Hm.
How about this?

The ground test ray segment misses the ground, so the game thinks the character is in midair and resets its orientation. The next frame, the ground test hits so the game thinks the character has landed and sets the orientation to match the ground.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

MassRafTer posted:

Is this from an official Sega ad or a fan attempt at a viral video?

No, this is an actual Thing That Happened. Some guy in Dublin decided to cosplay as Sonic and race trams.

(Trams in Dublin don't go all that fast in city centre, though they go at like 60kph when they hit open track)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I've been meaning to do this bonus video for awhile. It might be even weirder than Shadow's Castleton glitch. It's pretty hard to do, it took me a bunch of tries to get around the invisible wall.

Bonus (Sonic's Bizarre Forest Glitch): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KGYGmOwm8k

Fedule posted:

No, this is an actual Thing That Happened. Some guy in Dublin decided to cosplay as Sonic and race trams.

(Trams in Dublin don't go all that fast in city centre, though they go at like 60kph when they hit open track)

I've never been prouder to be (half) Irish.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

My best guess is that back when they were testing (earlier on, when they expected they would have time to ACTUALLY test this game), they noticed that the alpha or beta or whatever would sometimes pull up the wrong version of the forest when you were actually supposed to get there. So they added the signs so the testers would know immediately when they were brought to the wrong forest and made it faster to let the team know.

I dunno.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I agree. I mean just the part where he's talking to Elise and says "His power can change time, and even manipulate the fabric of time itself. I wish to obtain this power and use it to dominate everything in this world." like it's a perfectly reasonable desire. I mean he's a villain, of course that's his goal. What, you want some flair, some madness? Do you take him for a hack? It's a completely normal goal!

I just love the delivery.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I dunno, those objects in the forest look like placeholders to me. Like the game had no idea what to load so it loaded whatever.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Sonic Man is an intentional use of humor in sonic 2006, so the signposts would make two :colbert:

anilEhilated posted:

So... I always thought the gems were what goes into those three lines under the juice bar in bottom right. They don't so... What the hell are they for?

shadow uses them to designate that he's going super saiyan 2 or 3 (really lovely optional upgrades that make your bar drain way faster but you get some useless laser attacks), but they're mostly Cut Content. The manual talks about how your juice levels up as you kill enemies from level 1-3, so those would be used to show what level you are.

Whether the bar that the game shipped with is the max, or if they somehow felt like having way more juice wouldn't let silver break the game even more then he already does, remains to be seen.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Shoeless posted:

I agree. I mean just the part where he's talking to Elise and says "His power can change time, and even manipulate the fabric of time itself. I wish to obtain this power and use it to dominate everything in this world." like it's a perfectly reasonable desire. I mean he's a villain, of course that's his goal. What, you want some flair, some madness? Do you take him for a hack? It's a completely normal goal!

I just love the delivery.

True fact: Both Deem Bristow and Mike Pollock are so great at the Eggman Voice that any line they're given turns into gold. Just look at the "Not just a race, but a special race, to see who's the fastest!" line from Sonic Riders. They made it work. They actually made that line sound kinda awesome. There must be video somewhere.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Oh, and Mels is pretty clearly just Nathan Drake. Mystery solved.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

darealkooky posted:

Sonic Man is an intentional use of humor in sonic 2006, so the signposts would make two :colbert:

shadow uses them to designate that he's going super saiyan 2 or 3 (really lovely optional upgrades that make your bar drain way faster but you get some useless laser attacks), but they're mostly Cut Content. The manual talks about how your juice levels up as you kill enemies from level 1-3, so those would be used to show what level you are.

Whether the bar that the game shipped with is the max, or if they somehow felt like having way more juice wouldn't let silver break the game even more then he already does, remains to be seen.

The biggest bummer on the cut content from is the lack of the Rainbow gem which turns Sonic into Super Sonic anywhere you want.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

MassRafTer posted:

The biggest bummer on the cut content from is the lack of the Rainbow gem which turns Sonic into Super Sonic anywhere you want.

Turning into Super Sonic whenever you want? That would never work!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Sonic 2006 is a treasure

This looks like a bashful attempt at a bad Ray Charles impression.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Silly MassRafTer, assuming something in Sonic 06 was done on purpose.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Camel Pimp posted:

I dunno, those objects in the forest look like placeholders to me. Like the game had no idea what to load so it loaded whatever.

I think they may be debug assets from maybe when the devs wanted you to do the forest area at this point in the game, but then it got removed for whatever reason and they left that stuff in. A beta story sequence, if you will.

We can only imagine how hosed the development cycle must have really been for this game with the time crunch they had. It's barely a final release version as is after all, so there's no telling how much other stuff might be hanging around in the depths of the programming until someone really dissects it. :iiam:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mr. Soop posted:

We can only imagine how hosed the development cycle must have really been for this game with the time crunch they had.

Wikipedia posted:

After its debut, the game's development team faced serious problems, starting with the resignation of Yuji Naka as the head of Sonic Team.

AKA the guy who created Sonic/made it good. Another ten devs (probably the remaining talent) proceeded to follow him off what was almost assuredly sinking ship anyway.

Wikipedia posted:

When presented with development kits for the Nintendo Wii, it was decided that Sonic the Hedgehog's staff would be split in two, with Shun Nakamura finishing the creation of Sonic the Hedgehog for Xbox 360 and PS3, while Yojiro Ogawa would use the other half of Sonic Team to begin work on Sonic and the Secret Rings for the new Nintendo platform. What was originally an ambitious undertaking now became a race against time to meet the game's deadline with only half of a development team.

They then proceeded to split the remaining idiots in half for some reason, dooming any possibility of decency. And most damningly:

Wikipedia posted:

In this time, Sonic Team reportedly ignored Quality Assurance Tester bug reports.

Though it's up to you if that was just necessary at that point with how much the studio had already hosed them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

General Ironicus posted:

This looks like a bashful attempt at a bad Ray Charles impression.

"GET A LOAD OF THIS!"

*begins playing Georgia On My Mind*

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

AnoHito posted:

Though it's up to you if that was just necessary at that point with how much the studio had already hosed them.

It sounds like at that point there wasn't much the dev team could really do to salvage it. I've been on the receiving end of that - knowing that a product has a hundred really awful bugs in it, but the people holding the reins have already promised someone else a release date and will not budge on it no matter what. Given a small enough team, what ensues is a depressing mix of "who cares it will suck anyway" and desperate triage to fix the worst of the worst so at least the stupid thing doesn't crash on load.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be honest it's not like the ideas for the game were good either. I don't think the plot was bugged, for example.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

anilEhilated posted:

To be honest it's not like the ideas for the game were good either. I don't think the plot was bugged, for example.

It's a lot easier to ignore terrible plots when the gameplay bits in between the laughably bad cutscenes are fun to play. You can always mash start to get through the story, you can't do that with loading screens. Unfortunately.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

anilEhilated posted:

Or the lack of originality in level design, hey let's start out with whales again! Given all of the problems with the game another year of development would lead to what, a slightly below average game instead?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Question (PLEASE don't actually show this off)... can Sonic still reach all earlier side missions, so you can cheese them with the gems?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
All the stop signs and barriers should be the box art. "STOP! Don't buy this!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Question (PLEASE don't actually show this off)... can Sonic still reach all earlier side missions, so you can cheese them with the gems?

You can redo them from the main menu but not in the story. I'm only going to be able to afford one or two more gems before the final level due to the fact you can't replay things. Didn't understand a side mission mechanic and completed it with a D? Too bad. Lost all your rings on the last enemy of a level? Oh well. I will be able to earn more rings by replaying the final level over and over so we'll be able to get all the gems in this save file, but auugghhhhh.

However I do plan to cheese some of the earlier missions with gems because a few of the gems we haven't unlocked are hilarious and let you do some crazy things.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It's telling how nobody really plays this nonsense game except once for quick laughs ('s good enough for that and the thread is also really entertaining). All of the ring economics, Gem mechanics, sidequest replayability, S-Ranking stuff, collection of medals never gets much coverage (okay there are a few insane people I've seen talk about how ridiculous it is to try for an S-Rank in Crisis City aka Lose All Your Rings To The Random Physics Tornado Town) even though it is ALSO really really bad.

I said before and I'll say it again: there is nothing at all redeemable about Sonic 06. It's really perfect in how terrible everything is down to the minute details.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Simply Simon posted:

It's telling how nobody really plays this nonsense game except once for quick laughs ('s good enough for that and the thread is also really entertaining). All of the ring economics, Gem mechanics, sidequest replayability, S-Ranking stuff, collection of medals never gets much coverage (okay there are a few insane people I've seen talk about how ridiculous it is to try for an S-Rank in Crisis City aka Lose All Your Rings To The Random Physics Tornado Town) even though it is ALSO really really bad.

I said before and I'll say it again: there is nothing at all redeemable about Sonic 06. It's really perfect in how terrible everything is down to the minute details.

I've seen people speed-run it.

But people speed-run a lot of bad games, usually because trying to break them even harder is entertaining in and of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Simply Simon posted:

Is this the game with Lovingly Rendered Sandwich?

• Locked thread