Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oblammo is my doing. I started it to make fun of Republicans and all that Obongo and Obummer nonsense. It's always so negative so I tried to put a less negative spin on it. Imagine Obama presenting something amazing and being all "Oh yeah, BLAMMO! You're welcome, America!" and it will make more sense.

Haha, I always thought it was used in context as "Obama blames Bush for everything so he's 'Oblamo.'" I didn't realize it was coined by a Goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Refind Chaos posted:

Haha, I always thought it was used in context as "Obama blames Bush for everything so he's 'Oblamo.'" I didn't realize it was coined by a Goon.

Blame only has one m. :v:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Venusian Weasel posted:

I don't think anything's going to top Obi Wan Nairobi as far as nicknames go.

What about the Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Are we really saying that pointing out that the burning of books and the burying of scholars by the Qin was super hosed up is racist and paints a narrative of the backwards east? Really?

It's like saying the Khmer rouge was ok because criticizing them would be racist.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I think if the past few centuries have taught us anything it's that being an evil extremist dick knows no ideological boundaries.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Axetrain posted:

Fox news is currently complaining that the guy who jumped the White House fence wasn't shot dead by the secret service and instead merely apprehended. Apparently the guy who arrested him didn't open fire because the guy wasn't carrying a weapon, which means of course that white house security is poo poo for not just murdering the guy. It's really really dumb.

When I read this post it jogged my memory a bit since I seemed to recall some crazy fucker storming the White House when Bush was president and I was immediately inclined to go find a parallel event. Turned out they did shoot the fucker dead so for once at least they're consistent.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

See also: Obummer, Obongo.

I don't get where the hell Barry Soetoro came from, though.

I like Obummer. It's not racist like Obongo or Osama or some of the others. It's just a dumb mildly insulting nick name like you'd make up in elementary school.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
While some book burning and scholar killing almost certainly occurred, it was also likely exaggerated quite a bit by Sima Qian. Reading the Records of the Grand Historian can be seriously hilarious with how much he goes out of his way to completely embarrass Qin Shi Huangdi with obviously over the top claims. A personal favorite passage:

quote:

The First Emperor was growing up, but the Queen Dowager’s immoral behaviour did not cease. Lü Buwei was afraid that disaster would befall himself if they were discovered, so he secretly sought out Lao Ai, a man with a large penis, and made him a retainer. Sometimes, to the strains of licentious music, he made Lao Ai walk along with a wheel of tong-wood attached to his penis, and he ensured that the Queen Dowager heard about it so that she might be tempted.

Literally just straight up calling the Emperor's mom a cock crazy slut, something he does A LOT. Sima Qian's style was to write anecdotes that advanced his ideology first, and if they were true that was just a bonus.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I agree it wasn't the death splosion that Sima Qian made it out to be, so what? That doesn't mean that the Qin and the legalists were seriously bad news. Pointing that out isn't some racist statement.

I'm more concerned that NDT was endorsing Mohism and that is bad.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 22, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shbobdb posted:

Are we really saying that pointing out that the burning of books and the burying of scholars by the Qin was super hosed up is racist and paints a narrative of the backwards east? Really?

It's like saying the Khmer rouge was ok because criticizing them would be racist.

I think the big thing is suggesting "they never recovered," as in treating it like they're still at a level of development they reached during the Qin dynasty. There tends to be racism when discussing non-white history, though, in that white history is all about all the awesome poo poo that white people did and boy howdy white people sure are amazing while non-white history tends to be about turmoil and all the bad poo poo that happened. In particular Chinese history is really goddamned long and China invented some of the most important things in history but I remember only hearing about China in high school when it was about how much the Chinese loving loved opium, how Mao was basically Satan, and how things suck in China because communism.

For better or for worse when Asian history is discussed in America it is very frequently racist as hell.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

White history is all about all the awesome poo poo that white people did and boy howdy white people sure are amazing while non-white history tends to be about turmoil and all the bad poo poo that happened.

Where do you think all the turmoil and bad poo poo in the non-white history came from? :getin:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For better or for worse when Asian history is discussed in America it is very frequently racist as hell.

For the stuff the west doesn't claim to have invented, the history of those things is always discussed as "Marco Polo or some other European guy is the important one because he was the one that went to get it from those savages."

*Portions of this post are sarcastic, and should not be used as evidence that anti-white racism is a thing that exists in any kind of scale.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 22, 2014

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Even if the WHite House trespasser had turned out to be a super terrorist mastermind about to atomize the building with muslamic lasers, wouldn't it still be better to apprehend him? Question him, find out about his buddies, financers and so forth?

Guess when RW bloodlust converges with their need to naysay any event that happens under the current administration, there's no holding back. But drat, even the most bloody-handed factions of the italian fascists and bolcheviks had some actual strategic thinking behind them. Guess they were softies compared to the current crop of freedom-lovers.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If he assaulted the white house, they'd throw him a ticker tape parade and you know it.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Nah, If it had been an attack it would have gone something like this,

"It's embarrassing that the secret service let this happen, but I'm just disappointed Obongo wasn't there when it happened."

Or,

"False flag! This is just another false flag attack perpetrated by the Oblammo administration to get another reason to take our guns!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If the SS had killed the guy the headline would be OBOMA SECRET SERVICE KILLS MENTALLY ILL VETERAN

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If the SS had killed the guy the headline would be OBOMA SECRET SERVICE KILLS MENTALLY ILL VETERAN

And thousands of right-wingers would rejoice because Mental Illness is a weakness and Dead Veterans are just another of God's wondrous creations.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

PeterWeller posted:

I like Obummer. It's not racist like Obongo or Osama or some of the others. It's just a dumb mildly insulting nick name like you'd make up in elementary school.

Consider that in the context of the "DemocRat Party" discussion and you've pretty much identified the emotional maturity level of the average conservative.
Thinking about it they're on about that cognitive level as well.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
A bit of a cross-post from a few weeks back in the Freep thread, but I've compiled a list of casually stupid names they have used for Obama in their threads. Here's a few:

Freep posted:

obamateur
obozo
BamBam
Osama bin Obama
Zero
Zer0
0bama
Obummer
the Obungler
the Kenyan
Soebarkah
Odinga
the Obamanation
Zoey Dunham Soetero
Obola
Ubama
Obamao
Beery Hussein Ebola Junior
Oazzhole
Obammie
Turdbama
Obamugabe

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I tried coining "Nobongomer" a while back as a portmanteau of "Nobama", "Obongo" and "Obummer", but it was probably either too over the top or sounded like random gibberish instead of a derogatory Obama nickname.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I honestly like "Hussein Clown Posse."

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Osama bin Obama just reeks of trying too hard, though.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, wouldn't Obama bin Laden work better, in fact i'm suprised that's not on the list.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

MasterControl posted:

Many of you share workplace stories that are similar to idiots of Facebook however id like to share a random encounter just outside my house. I planted a bunch of margiolds because they grow like crazy and are pretty. They really grew this year and several people have said they liked them, randomly. Total strangers. Yesterday a guy stops and asks if they were hybrid or did i go them from seed? No less than 30 seconds later im hearing all the leaning in to tell you this "unbelieveable" thing you didnt know stuff. Then montsanto. Then america and he loves it but there are secret plots to take away everything he loves. He noticed my daughter in a i tx tx shirt i bought in austin. Oh, texas huh, the things theyre doing to poor rick perry down there..Luckily she ran away and gave me an excuse to leave as well. He kept on shouting as i walked away about look up this one website. Probably some infowars nonsense.

All because I planted marigolds.

And I only said i bought them from home depot.

I was at the pharmacy a few days ago and while I was getting some medicine, a guy was complaining to the pharmacist that "common core bans mentioning George Washington" and it's part of a plot to totally remove the founding fathers from general knowledge for just one generation - because that is all it takes to destroy a culture, that's how communism destroyed the Russians.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

robotsinmyhead posted:

A bit of a cross-post from a few weeks back in the Freep thread, but I've compiled a list of casually stupid names they have used for Obama in their threads. Here's a few:

Baquack Obamailure(s).

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I think all these names are a manifestation of the right's frustration over the fact that Obama can't be easily ridiculed like Bush was. He's smart, educated, thoughtful, pragmatic, etc. With Bush you could just call him stupid and everyone knew what you were talking about.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

beatlegs posted:

I think all these names are a manifestation of the right's frustration over the fact that Obama can't be easily ridiculed like Bush was. He's smart, educated, thoughtful, pragmatic, etc. With Bush you could just call him stupid and everyone knew what you were talking about.
There's an old saying in Tennessee, I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee, that says, fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me.... you can't get fooled again.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

beatlegs posted:

My favorite criticism is that he's cold and calculating...

I'd loving hope so considering he's the loving president.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
bu$h

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Whiteycar posted:

Makes me wonder if deal extreme or something makes a small plastic box where all it does is have a flashing red light.

http://www.amazon.com/Varad-LL-RE-Flashing-Theft-Deterrent/dp/B001F11ZPM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=03JPGD9F2Q2PT8W1YKNJ

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

robotsinmyhead posted:

the Obamanation sounds like a wrestling stable.

Beery Hussein Ebola Junior is just funny, but I don't get Zoey Dunham Soetero.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Zoey Dunham Soetero makes my loving day. I get the Lena Dunham hate, and the "real" last name, but why do they hate Zoey Deschanel?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

MasterControl posted:

There's an old saying in Tennessee, I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee, that says, fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me.... you can't get fooled again.

This isn't an example of him being stupid. This is an example of him realizing on the fly that a clip of him saying "shame on me" would have been horrible attack ad fodder and trying to audible out of it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

This isn't an example of him being stupid. This is an example of him realizing on the fly that a clip of him saying "shame on me" would have been horrible attack ad fodder and trying to audible out of it.

And in doing so created even worse attack fodder :laugh:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

PeterWeller posted:

Zoey Dunham Soetero makes my loving day. I get the Lena Dunham hate, and the "real" last name, but why do they hate Zoey Deschanel?

If they're taking the time to hate on Lena Dunham there's a decent chance they're also GamerGate dorks. Not 100%, but there's surely a correlation.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

beatlegs posted:

They think he is just as easily ridiculed. The difference is while the left harped on Bush's goofy speaking errors, the right harps on things that they think are goofy because they're easily confused. "You didn't build that", " ISIS isn't Islamic", using light dumbbells for a shoulder fly workout, etc. They're like "Haha get a load of this guy!" and everyone else is like "... Yeah, that actually makes perfect sense."

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

If they're taking the time to hate on Lena Dunham there's a decent chance they're also GamerGate dorks. Not 100%, but there's surely a correlation.

There's also a lot of people that hate Zooey Deschanel for being hipster-y, I could imagine that being even bigger percentage-wise on Freep considering their usual outlook.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

I don't know if you were joking, but I assume the "Dunham" is from Obama's mother's name. No idea about the Zoey part.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Nothing will top B-Rock the Islamic Shock

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Idran posted:

There's also a lot of people that hate Zooey Deschanel for being hipster-y, I could imagine that being even bigger percentage-wise on Freep considering their usual outlook.

I keep forgetting that she's in that TV show and thinking people are like 10-15 years out of date when they talk about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

They think he is just as easily ridiculed. The difference is while the left harped on Bush's goofy speaking errors, the right harps on things that they think are goofy because they're easily confused. "You didn't build that", " ISIS isn't Islamic", using light dumbbells for a shoulder fly workout, etc. They're like "Haha get a load of this guy!" and everyone else is like "... Yeah, that actually makes perfect sense."

I remember Obama joking about having to visit "57 states" during the 1st campaign and conservatives went absolutely obsessive over it because it was finally, finally something they thought was comparable to a Bushism.