Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Well poo poo, went out to the bike a minute ago and I have a flat tire. No sign of punctures either. It will probably be a few weeks before I can get new tires on there and I need to ride it today, if possible. Can I use one of those canisters from Autozone or whatever that has sealant and air in it? If so, which one is the best choice? I don't know if my tires are tubed or tubeless. The bike is a DRZ 400s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Was it fine before you parked it? Just reinflate it and make sure it's not just some waste of sperm who aired your tire.

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
Oh my god...I misread a chart and I've been changing my Ninja's oil and filter every 500 miles :(

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Supple Moisture posted:

Oh my god...I misread a chart and I've been changing my Ninja's oil and filter every 500 miles :(

Don't be upset. Your bike probably loves you for this. I'd switch it up to like 2 or 3k miles if I were you though just to save on cash. Hope you weren't dumping the good stuff in there :haw:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

Step One: file that owner's manual in the manila folder containing all the IKEA assembly instructions, the manual for the TV you gave away 5 years ago, and the warranty on your gen 1 iPod.

Step Two: Buy the legit service manual for the bike, not a Haynes, and not a cd from Hong Kong. The price will be painful, but the ROI will be quick.

Step Three: Skim through it; no need to pay attention to engine tear down at this point, but the recurring tasks will be spelled out completely.

Step Four: don't be an idiot like me, ignore this common advice, and wait several years before becoming a convert.

I now have one of these for a honda and one for a kawasaki andf I'm 90% certain that what happens is the factory vomits out all the tech specs and several test dummy bikes at an independent company. This company then meticulously takes apart the bike as per factory instructions and takes photos, as well as converting the parts diagrams to repair diagrams.

I say this because they all seem to be laid out exactly the same regardless of brand and all follow the same internal logic, which they wouldn't if manufacturers made them in-house. It's also cheaper that way from the manufacturer's point of view.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Collateral Damage posted:

Was it fine before you parked it? Just reinflate it and make sure it's not just some waste of sperm who aired your tire.

It was in a locked garage. I'm pretty sure it was deflating on the ride home the other night because I recall having some odd behavior from the front while going through turns. Plus my tire has some... bizarre wear patterns.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, the manual recommends every 1k miles, to which I say, bite my knob.

I've cleaned/oiled the air filter, the plugs were replaced when the valves got adjusted, and the coolant has been flushed and the brakes were bled. That was at 7500, so I'll snag up a good manual and go from there.

Thanks, dudes!

...which reminds me, I need to lube and clean my chain now that rain is coming.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Chichevache posted:

Speaking of Razzled, I haven't seen him on in a while. He ok?

Don't worry bud I'm still alive and I haven't killed anymore pieces government property. I successfully commuted to work (25 miles down highway traffic) for the first time last week on the ninja and only got merged into once. (Apparently riding the right side of the lane is an invitation for cars to share)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

Don't worry bud I'm still alive and I haven't killed anymore pieces government property. I successfully commuted to work (25 miles down highway traffic) for the first time last week on the ninja and only got merged into once. (Apparently riding the right side of the lane is an invitation for cars to share)

Wait, you have a ninja?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Chichevache posted:

Wait, you have a ninja?

Yeah along with the DRZ we picked up an EX300 for my brother to ride (for me to ride >:D). I paid for his insurance though since he is jobless, so I take it out every now and then.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Razzled posted:

(Apparently riding the right side of the lane is an invitation for cars to share)
It really seems this way. I tend to stick to the left side of the travel lane and I can see the other motorists around me deciding I'm an unsafe moron for riding omg-too-close to their minivans. But I know the day I change my habit I'm going to get crushed by a bus diving into my lane or something.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Well poo poo, went out to the bike a minute ago and I have a flat tire. No sign of punctures either. It will probably be a few weeks before I can get new tires on there and I need to ride it today, if possible. Can I use one of those canisters from Autozone or whatever that has sealant and air in it? If so, which one is the best choice? I don't know if my tires are tubed or tubeless. The bike is a DRZ 400s.

They're tubed. Air it up, see if there's a leak, and maybe buy another tube.
Do you check the pressure much? If you ran it low for a while that would explain the odd wear pattern.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Frosty- posted:

It really seems this way. I tend to stick to the left side of the travel lane and I can see the other motorists around me deciding I'm an unsafe moron for riding omg-too-close to their minivans. But I know the day I change my habit I'm going to get crushed by a bus diving into my lane or something.
I've noticed this, too. Seems they expect me to stay in the center of my lane. I used to expect the same of them and was consistently disappointed, so :black101:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

They're tubed. Air it up, see if there's a leak, and maybe buy another tube.
Do you check the pressure much? If you ran it low for a while that would explain the odd wear pattern.

I never check the pressure :cripes:. Guess I'll be picking up a tube and tools tomorrow. Pretty much the same as changing a bike tire?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I never check the pressure :cripes:. Guess I'll be picking up a tube and tools tomorrow. Pretty much the same as changing a bike tire?

Dude you really should make a habit of it. I lose around a PSI a week on my PR4's.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy posted:

Dude you really should make a habit of it. I lose around a PSI a week on my PR4's.

All that wheelying over footbridges is hell on tire valves

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I got an accugage off Amazon for cheap and I've been enjoying checking my pressure more frequently. I make sure to buy angled valvestems for all my bikes too. The accugage fitting is just a straight tube so it's absolutely perfect. Way better than the POS Slime brand digital gauge I used for a while.

I need to commit to checking tire pressures more often. I'm totally guilty of not checking for a few weeks at a time when I'm busy. I'm sure my laziness has been the death of many tires prematurely.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Lynza posted:

Yeah, the manual recommends every 1k miles, to which I say, bite my knob.

Isn't that just for the first oil change?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

I know I know... I just didn't give a poo poo because I'm just waiting to ditch these 50-50s for slicks. Argh.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I check mine every week-ish. The (tubeless) 690 hasn't lost a single PSI since new (about 18 months). I thought it was supposed to shed all that unwanted weight through vibration?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

All that wheelying over footbridges is hell on tire valves

True story: nearly ran over a kid on my street the other day. They were kicking a ball around in the cul de sac when I came home. I slowed right down to about 20km/h and one of the little blighters just stood there with his mouth agape. I wasn't going anywhere near his direction but for some reason he decided to run out of the way across my path and I had to jump on my brakes to avoid a near-miss.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Slavvy posted:

True story: nearly ran over a kid on my street the other day. They were kicking a ball around in the cul de sac when I came home. I slowed right down to about 20km/h and one of the little blighters just stood there with his mouth agape. I wasn't going anywhere near his direction but for some reason he decided to run out of the way across my path and I had to jump on my brakes to avoid a near-miss.

I've read your post three times and I have no idea how this post has anything to do with Snowden's post that you quoted.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you started this story with"True story" what does that mean about your other stories?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Marxalot posted:

I'm sure they're good tough pants, but I highly doubt they can even compare to the shittiest of textile pants when it comes to motorcycle crash protection.

E: They're probably still lightyears ahead of Levis if they're anything like the Bulwark denim FR pants that I have for work.

I wear them for work. The're great, and quite abrasion-resistant. That said, I slid down a 45' concrete slope on my knees and the knees on the pants gave out after that. So 45' of 5mph was enough to wear through the knees. I have a feeling that if I had been wearing normal denim pants (Levi, Wrangler, etc) i would not have fared so well.

So yes, light-years ahead of Levis, but not all the way up to "actually protective" level.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

I've read your post three times and I have no idea how this post has anything to do with Snowden's post that you quoted.

The woman who originally stirred up trouble with the police seemed to think I was somehow harming The Children.

nsaP posted:

If you started this story with"True story" what does that mean about your other stories?

They were all fables intended to win your heart, nsap.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Slavvy posted:

The woman who originally stirred up trouble with the police seemed to think I was somehow harming The Children.

What on earth are you talking about.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The enormous and tragic backstory to my AV that snowden is referring to. He knows what I'm talking about, carry on as normal.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I did, in fact, get it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

I did, in fact, get it

Thank gently caress, I felt like I hadn't taken my schizophrenia meds or something :v:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Guess you and n8 have something in common, except he actually does forget.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

Guess you and n8 have something in common, except he actually does forget.

Schizophrenics don't usually become raging assholes when they skip meds. n8 clearly is on a manic swing of his BPD cycle.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
No he just has a low tolerance for idiots. We encourage him to read CA more often to help build it up though

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ahh, he's one of those self hating posters.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
A 1k oil change interval? The gently caress? I'm glad I don't ride that bike, in the summer I'd be changing my oil once a week.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Question!

I just decided to get a whole new tire on the drz instead of replacing the tube, so now I'm running a full street tire up front and a 50-50 in back. The bike recommend 18 psi up front and 22 rear. Should I really have the front that low or should I he running it at 30 with a street tire? The guy at the shop was saying 30 up front, but I thought it was generally best to go with the bikes recommendation.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Question!

I just decided to get a whole new tire on the drz instead of replacing the tube, so now I'm running a full street tire up front and a 50-50 in back. The bike recommend 18 psi up front and 22 rear. Should I really have the front that low or should I he running it at 30 with a street tire? The guy at the shop was saying 30 up front, but I thought it was generally best to go with the bikes recommendation.

The bike recommendation will be for the OE tyres - go with what the tyre manufacturer says. 18 seems *way* low for a road tyre even for a bike as light as a DRZ, although 30 sounds a bit heavy.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I used to run 32/32 with pilot powers on my DRZ. You'll be fine running 30. 18 is too low even for the track. In the dirt with a knobby tire you run that low but for the street that would suck.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Awesome. So it will also be fine with a 22 rear on as well?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

How weird does that feel on turn in with a street on front and a knobby on back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Shimrod posted:

How weird does that feel on turn in with a street on front and a knobby on back?

Like a scalpel dragging a spoon running through oatmeal. The front tire is just so much sharper that every slight lean results in the back tire just kind of sliding through until it grips and just kicks me forward. I've never really felt anything like this before and I don't quite know how to explain it.

I'm happy to finally have a new front at least. The old tire felt so much mushier than this. Even pushing the bike is a whole new sensation.