Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

"Yes I'd like to ask Mr Renton a question: Mr Renton, Mantic seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?

Also the third DZ survey exists and is open Sep 22 - Oct 5, and I wish flights were as cheap as the Mantic open day tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
I'm an idiot.

Less than a month until the Clash of Kings KoW tournament and I decide to make a brand new army for it. Not only that, but I went for a Kingdoms of Men horde army:

code:
1 x Pike Phalanx Horde (Brew of Strength, Musician)
1 x Pike Phalanx Horde
1 x Knights Regiment (Musician)
1 x Knights Regiment (Pipes of Terror)
2 x Pike Phalanx Regiment
2 x Crossbow Regiment
1 x Pole-Arms Regiment

3 x Trebuchet
3 x Rocket Artillery

1 x General on Winged Beast (Blade of Slashing)
1 x Army Standard Bearer (Horse, Da Boomstick)
2 x Army Standard Bearer (Horse)
1 x Hero (Horse, Talisman of Inspiration)
180 infantry, 24 cavalry, 6 war engines + crew, general on griffin. 4 weeks.

I did manage to get the Pole-arms regiment finished at least:

Only 160 more infantry to go...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Good luck getting that done on time :v:

What range are the minis from? I plan to go the diorama route with what KoW stuff I have when I get around to it as well, fortunately I'm not in any kind of rush! Trying to balance the need for an even number of bases for large unit forming, being artistic, spreading the minis around to make as much from as little as possible, and achieving that Tolkie-esque perfet shining elven battle line aint easy.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

NTRabbit posted:

Good luck getting that done on time :v:

What range are the minis from? I plan to go the diorama route with what KoW stuff I have when I get around to it as well, fortunately I'm not in any kind of rush! Trying to balance the need for an even number of bases for large unit forming, being artistic, spreading the minis around to make as much from as little as possible, and achieving that Tolkie-esque perfet shining elven battle line aint easy.

They look like Perry War of the Roses stuff to me - probably their Bow and Bill set or the Mercenaries set. There's matching period cav in plastic, too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If I was to ever try to get my friends into Kings of War, I'd probably just change some measurements around and do 15mm or 10mm or 6mm or something, just to make the painting easier.

Then again, I have no idea what kind of options exist for Fantasy minis at those scales.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Yep they're Perry Miniatures' War of the Roses. Lovely models.

KoW works really well at smaller scales, even if just changing inches to cm. The other way I've seen it done is keeping the same measurements as 28mm KoW but filling the bases with 6 or 10mm models.

Pendraken do a good range of 10mm fantasy, though being a historical manufacturer they haven't mastered this whole "put photos of your minis up on the website" malarkey yet.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Daedleh posted:

Pendraken do a good range of 10mm fantasy, though being a historical manufacturer they haven't mastered this whole "put photos of your minis up on the website" malarkey yet.

I'm shocked they have an estore, and not a postal address to send in your printed order form and cheque :v:

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If I was to ever try to get my friends into Kings of War, I'd probably just change some measurements around and do 15mm or 10mm or 6mm or something, just to make the painting easier.

Then again, I have no idea what kind of options exist for Fantasy minis at those scales.

My friend and I use 6mm for our KoW travel games. Microworld Games has a really good range of stuff that works really well and looks amazing for the scale. I'll have to try to get pictures up some time. I made a ton of scenery too for cheap and really quickly. We both had kids around the same time and needed to save money and space, so we sold our 28mm stuff and got replacements in 6mm. my 2000 point army fits in a bead box and was only about 75 bucks once I factored in the bases from shogun. I did magnetic strips of 10 so I could use them as troops or get steel movement trays and make 20 or 40 man groups.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Daedleh posted:

Hey that is not bad. Their elves don't look like crap and I could get a good sized army (100 spearmen, 50 bows, 40 swordsmen, 20ish cavalry, 4 ballistas, assorted command/hero/standard dudes) for under $100, and a fifth of that cost is the shipping to the states (then again I don't have to pay VAT so I'm actually not paying that much extra compared to Europeans). Too bad I can't justify the price given my lovely disposable income and uncertainty whether I'd be able to get friends into it (especially at 10mm scale).

What is a good points level for smaller KoW games anyways? While I'm pipe-dreaming, I could always buy 3-4 smaller armies and get pals into it that way. Too bad their Dwarves and undead don't have pictures, and their Orcs look kinda crap (unpainted at least). Their humans don't look that bad though.

That said, isn't KoW getting a revamp from Mantic sometime soon? I seem to remember that being a persistent rumor.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Not a revamp, but being revisited certainly. I wish I wasn't under NDA for certain things - the open day will have some big news ;) There's definitely a rumour of a 2nd KoW kickstarter to fund the Nature and Abyssal armies and get some Abyssal Dwarfs and Twilight Kin hard plastics too. That is definitely happening, but I can't say when.

KoW starts being playable in a non-demo way at the 600-800ish point level. It starts to feel like the proper game at 1000-1200 points and is the proper game at 1600+ level.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I really hope Mantic have learnt their lesson from the first kickstarter and found that the way to get the most value from the people who back you is to make as great a product as you can, not as many as you can.

The art changes, sculpting changes, horrible design decisions and other things really did make me feel somewhat cheated by my KoW pledge (I ended up taking all Ogres so I would have something I could sell off at the end of it all). I really hope that if they are going for hard plastic that they get some sculpts done which are worth having steel molds made for, and that have a longevity to them in comparison to previous efforts.

I really do love the battlezones though, they're great :)

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Its weird that they shipped the enforcer shields without bodies instead of just holding them back for wave 3.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Would two units of spitters and two rock lobbas be a good choice for a 1500 morax-heavy orc army?

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Phoon posted:

Its weird that they shipped the enforcer shields without bodies instead of just holding them back for wave 3.

By the looks of 'em, they'll fit the current restic ones as well as the upcoming plastic ones, so if you want Defenders right now you can mix them with your starter or a troops booster.

Edit: Also, I'm guessing they're on the same mould as the medic, so they couldn't make those without the shields, and holding the shields back'd mean splitting packs and warehousing them for a couple months.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Got 2 boxes for my DZ wave 2 in today and glad to see Mantic learned from the earlier shipping problems; They've bundled the smaller bags into a larger bag for the set purchase, so instead of getting 4 separate little baggies a rebs starter, it's all contained. Really looking forward into assembling these walkers!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mawbeast was so excited he tried to rip the box open himself

Also last week I realised my second shipment was going to exceed the tax free threshold for the first time in my long import history; that note on top from Mantic to the customs man basically says "It's not, you can't prove it and here's why", so thanks for saving me a bunch of tax money Mantic :tipshat:

Edit: Starting the long double check process, the heads, kickstands and one arm from my Enforcer bike scout have been cast in translucent blue resin, it's like demand for the resin minis was so high they ran out of the regular stuff and had to start casting in whatever was left on the shelf :aaa:

I regret nothing.

Nothing.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 19, 2014

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Is the KS Landing Pad battlezone supposed to be different from the retail version? The bag is labeled 3x each of sprue A & B instead of 4x A and 2x B (the retail version), which is what's in there, but you can't actually build the default landing pad with that.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
God drat, there is going to be a third survey. Backers are just getting every opportunity to get in on the KS deals.

That is, frankly, excellent.

It's nice for me, who got a faction sight unseen, played a few games, and THEN figured out what I wanted from it.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

I finally finished my Plague kickstarter models. I'm pretty happy with the result, despite my lack of practice.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Those Plague turned out better than mine, you can't be too rusty!

If anyone, or knows anyone, wants to play Deadzone but already has an Ork/Squat army they want to counts-as and has no desire to buy the Deadzone minis right away (or even at all), I should have one Forge Father deck and two Marauder decks for sale, should be wave 2 complete decks but keeping the shrink wrap on them.

Also the Valkyr is a wee man on a bike, and I've got a squad of them :neckbeard:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 20, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I've not received my Wave 2 shipping notification yet :(.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I've not received my Wave 2 shipping notification yet :(.

They've been coming 2-3 days after packages have ARRIVED, so there's a bit of a delay there. They've finished shipping now, so your stuff's almost certainly on the way.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I got my shipping notice finally yesterday, will be here on Monday :woop:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So now I've gone from idly considering 10mm KoW to an even smaller 6mm! Microworld seems to have some good looking minis, though I'm still looking around at other options. The fact that I can get a modest army for $30-40 is nice, as is the fact they're US based and charge a flat $5 for US shipping regardless of order size.

I have no idea how I'd make 6mm KoW work. 20mmx100m per troop seems a bit large to stuff 6mm dudes on even if I went with 10 dudes per strip. Maybe just halve the measurements involved? I dunno, I'd probably have to figure it out after getting the minis.

I have no idea why I'm still thinking about this, I don't really want to spend the money, the idea of painting several hundred rice sized dudes terrifies me, and no one around here really plays KoW. While I could try to get people into it, I'm tired of getting burned by my FLGS' terrible "Flavor of the month/quarter" habit its had the last year+ or so.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

6mm is super easy to paint in my experience. It sounds really intimidating, but you can pump them out at an incredible rate if you get a good rhythm going.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'm a big 6 mm proponent, and think you should go for it. A lot of the time you can simply convert a 28mm game into 6mm by switching inches for cm. Base sizes should not be a big deal if you keep both sides roughly equal. Among 6mm gamers I'd say the most common base sizes are 40mm wide and 15/20/30mm deep, or 60mm wide and 30mm deep. I don't know much about KoW, but two or three of those for your front rank usually look great.

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?
So, I ironically stumbled upon this Company in the GW Death pool thread when someone said Deadzone is a lot like Necromunda in some ways. As someone who always wanted to play Necromunda and never got around to buying before GW killed the line, I am intrigued. After some searching ( and waiting to get into the official forums, since they apparently hand authorize everyone), I have a question: Is the only way to get the scenery to buy the Contagion box set? It won't bother me terribly as I was interested in either the Enforcers or the Plague, but can't seem to find the scenery anywhere else on the site. Would prefer to buy a faction starter pack and the scenery though.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

Bellicose Buddha posted:

So, I ironically stumbled upon this Company in the GW Death pool thread when someone said Deadzone is a lot like Necromunda in some ways. As someone who always wanted to play Necromunda and never got around to buying before GW killed the line, I am intrigued. After some searching ( and waiting to get into the official forums, since they apparently hand authorize everyone), I have a question: Is the only way to get the scenery to buy the Contagion box set? It won't bother me terribly as I was interested in either the Enforcers or the Plague, but can't seem to find the scenery anywhere else on the site. Would prefer to buy a faction starter pack and the scenery though.

The Deadzone terrain is called Battlezones and has its own category on the website http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/battlezones.html
The reason for it is that they donīt want people to think itīs just for Deadzone, it works just fine for a lot of other sci-fi games.

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?

Arvid posted:

The Deadzone terrain is called Battlezones and has its own category on the website http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/battlezones.html
The reason for it is that they donīt want people to think itīs just for Deadzone, it works just fine for a lot of other sci-fi games.

AWesome! That is great news. I am a little cash strapped too, so yeah, this is great. Another question: Does this game have factions that have steep learning curves or are they all pretty well balanced and accessible?

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Bellicose Buddha posted:

AWesome! That is great news. I am a little cash strapped too, so yeah, this is great. Another question: Does this game have factions that have steep learning curves or are they all pretty well balanced and accessible?

The Rebs can be harder to use than the rest, but they're all pretty even. Also, the starterbox is a pretty great deal. Two faction starters, a set of scenery, the grid mat, the print rulebook, dice and counters. Basically, you'll probably end up spending as much as the cost of the starter on the stuff you'll need besides the minis unless there's someone near you who already plays.

Just... don't judge the minis quality by the Enforcer basic troops. The sprue that was supposed to be in the box for them got delayed, a lot. It's coming out in a couple months, and until then they put the old Warpath Enforcer basic troops that they're due to replace in the box. I'm not saying they're bad minis, they're just really fiddly to assemble in a way that isn't up to the standards of the other releases in the range.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Just received a shitload of terrain from the Deadzone second shipment and now it's time to start work on it. I'm thinking I will cut/trim/paint the panels assembly line style and then build structures out of completed panels. The aim is to make the process as simple and streamlined as possible.

Painting plan:
1) Spray panels with black primer
2) Spray panels with grey primer at an angle for azimuthal shading
3) Drybrush with a lighter grey
4) Pick out details if I feel like it
5) Wash (maybe?)

How does this sound?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sounds like a good plan to me. I've barely considered what I'm going to do with mine, because I'm trying to avoid what would inevitably be a huge amount of brush work. Can't find cheap spray cans of the colours I want either, might be the final impetus for getting an airbrush.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Third Deadzone survey is up!

5 hard plastic enforcers for $10

Not as good as the zombies mind, but still.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Daedleh posted:

Third Deadzone survey is up!

5 hard plastic enforcers for $10

Not as good as the zombies mind, but still.

I didn't get a link to the third survey. :(

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Hey, it finally came today! At least the first part.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Been trying to organize what I have and what I want to grab off the 3rd wave so I was bored enough to whip up this spreadsheet if anyone else wants to copy for their own use. Didn't toss in abilities n' gear since it's more of a quick reference chart and I'll likely start filling in my model numbers tomorrow night.

Out of all the robots they added, I really like the stuntbot's loadout despite it's weaker stats but that Iron Ancestor looks like one tought SOB to take out. 2 armor, tough, 4+ survive, 6 vehicle points and an energy shield (3) make it well worth those 28 points.

Edit: Added a terrain section at the bottom

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 23, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nice, I have a spreadsheet where I record numbers of what I actually have, but not any of the actual unit stats. Please ignore the other sheets where it becomes clear that I have a problem :ohdear:

Might actually incorporate the WIP columns into my own - I've got enough of each force that I can split each into two differently painted teams, so that if we wanted my mate and I could both play Marauders f.ex, and be able to tell who owns what unit on the board.

Kinda disappointed some of the metal stuff isn't on the survey, I really need one more metal Marauder upgrade set for the Claw, Talons and HMG

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

NTRabbit posted:

Nice, I have a spreadsheet where I record numbers of what I actually have, but not any of the actual unit stats. Please ignore the other sheets where it becomes clear that I have a problem :ohdear:

Might actually incorporate the WIP columns into my own - I've got enough of each force that I can split each into two differently painted teams, so that if we wanted my mate and I could both play Marauders f.ex, and be able to tell who owns what unit on the board.

Kinda disappointed some of the metal stuff isn't on the survey, I really need one more metal Marauder upgrade set for the Claw, Talons and HMG

Same, I wanted the Marauder upgrades, the Plague Enforcer, at least two of the thermal rifle/fusion gun guys...

On the other hand, I think I know why - I heard from Mantic that they're scheduled to be in retail next month, while this won't ship 'til the month after, so we'll get them earlier if we just buy them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Well as long as I can still get them at some point in the future for near enough price, I'm cool. I got 4 of the thermal rifle guys (Isn't the fusion gun on the plastic sprue?)I got 2 each of the thermal and fusion guys on account of one model, two gun options, learn something new every day, and a pair of plague enforcers, just didn't quite realise the Marauder upgrade had more than just alternative heads on it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Progress is slow and I need to pick up the pace...

60 infantry and 10 cavalry down in 2 weeks. 120 infantry, 14 cavalry, 6 war engines and a monster to do in 2.5 more...

Feeple posted:

I didn't get a link to the third survey. :(

E-maaaaaiiilllls....

(assuming you backed the KS of course?!)