Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Aphrodite posted:

Having your pocket squeezing your phone while you sit down seems like a bad idea, I don't know. It depends on the phone and the pants I guess.

My 5 has been fine in my front pocket for two years now but I'm a fatass so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Back pocket is more comfortable if your pants are skin-tight, but you can't keep it there when you sit down. This is even more so the case for comically huge phones.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

eames posted:

Looks like bendgate™ is a thing with the new iPhone 6 Plus.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1785905

Some also reported that their regular iPhone 6s are bent from sitting down with the phone in the jeans pocket. I don’t have mine yet but I wonder if I should sell this one and buy a later one where this issue might be fixed (i.e. by machining a bit less material around the sim slot). :tinfoil:

Trying to work out how the phone was oriented in the pocket for it to bend that way, and I can't seem to, the bend looks like it would require the phone to be horizontal in the pocket whereas I could see it happening like that in a back pocket.

I could be just tired though.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I see girls put their phone in their back pocket all the time, but it usually only works with an iphone 4/5. I can only imagine how much booty it must take to make the iPhone 6+ seem like a reasonable thing to put in your back pocket and not stick out significantly. I'm talkin a whole lotta rear end. Nikki Minaj-level rear end.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

HortonNash posted:

Trying to work out how the phone was oriented in the pocket for it to bend that way, and I can't seem to, the bend looks like it would require the phone to be horizontal in the pocket whereas I could see it happening like that in a back pocket.

I could be just tired though.

I'd wager there's more to that story.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

I see girls put their phone in their back pocket all the time, but it usually only works with an iphone 4/5. I can only imagine how much booty it must take to make the iPhone 6+ seem like a reasonable thing to put in your back pocket and not stick out significantly. I'm talkin a whole lotta rear end. Nikki Minaj-level rear end.

Back pockets are bigger than front pockets, and might be necessary for those with a 6+. Still dumb to sit on it.

By the way, 6 Plus is a lovely name on the level of Nintendo's handhelds (3ds, 3dsxl, 2ds, new 3ds). Ugh.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'd wager there's more to that story.

Dude was probably at the gym doing power cleans with the phone in his front pocket.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Lblitzer posted:

Not sure about you guys but my phone rests on my leg in my pocket and not in a pocket covering my balls. Also I'm guessing it's bad to wear pants in direct sunlight because it'll make them heat up and kill my swimmers.

Sounds like a selling point.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How, as a journalist, you can type the word Bend-gate when Bendghazi is just sitting there for the taking is beyond me.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god this thread. Pages and pages of ongoing talk of bending phones and weird -gate names. With all my tech blog feeds, I've seen no talk of anything like it.

....but to contribute, a really old pair of my jeans has the outline of an iPhone 5 worn into the front of the left pant leg. My iPhone 5 is still straight and unbent.

heldicus
Oct 27, 2004

:stare:............:byodood:
Why is my Facebook account only syncing 32 of my several hundred contacts to the contacts list? I have deleted the account and signed in again to no avail. I still get the same 32 contacts. It's not because they don't have phone numbers either, because I can see their numbers and initiate phone calls using the Facebook app, just not through native iOS contacts (unless it's one of the random 32 that it decided to sync).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Thwomp posted:

....but to contribute, a really old pair of my jeans has the outline of an iPhone 5 worn into the front of the left pant leg. My iPhone 5 is still straight and unbent.

same

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My iPhone wear marks are on the right pocket. Put keys on the left, you can get into your car faster with the keys in your left hand. :colbert:

Unless you live in one of those wacky places where the steering wheel is on the right side.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just played with a coworker's 6. It's too big. :(

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Kobayashi posted:

I was ready to return mine for the first 24 hours. Now I like it.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Kobayashi posted:

I bet you did.

Bungeyjump
Nov 9, 2003
Bungeyjumpingpeopledie
I once managed to snap a Samsung Galaxy s2 when it was in my jeans pocket. I think it ended up horizontal on the outside with a wallet stuffed full of receipts in the inside, which bent it on both sides as I sat down. I totally can't understand why anyone would ever keep the phone in their back pocket either... I'd be far too likely to sit on it personally.

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

I suggest having a less fat butt.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My iPhone 4s is showing 2 gigs of pictures on my phone, but they aren't in my library at all. But... when I try to send a picture to a contact, I can see all of these images. :raise:

How do I delete these from my phone? They aren't showing up in iTunes either. :( (I already did a factory restore)

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kobayashi posted:

Do you have midget hands?

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!
I got my new 6 today and everything seems perfect, except for the fact that whenever I scroll on a light background there seems to be something like a bar pattern on the screen - light and dark, about 8 different sections, almost like a backlight defect. Has anyone heard about or experienced anything like this? Googling turned up nothing.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kobayashi posted:

You get used to it really fast, and then the old phones feel small.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Took a look at the new phones today in person for the first time. I'm still using a 4S I bought a couple months before the 5 was released.

I wish they made a 5S* with the 6's innards. I loved the form factor of the 5 as soon it was released but the 6 is just too drat big, and that's the goddamned "small" one.

I really don't want want to get a phone that's already outdated and the supposedly improved battery life of the 6 is a huge bonus to me. Am I really in that small a minority for wanting a modern phone that's not ridiculously massive? I'm basically committed to Apple since I use a Mac and the comparable Android phones are gigantic anyway.

Ouhei posted:

Do you have midget hands?

I'm a different person with the same problem. My hands are basically averaged sized for a man, but it's still just too drat large to use comforably with one hand or throw in your pocket.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 22, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thauros posted:

I'm a different person with the same problem. My hands are basically averaged sized for a man, but it's still just too drat large to use comforably with one hand or throw in your pocket.
I'm a man with average sized hands too. No it isn't. The 6 rules. The 6+ would be a different story, though.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Rick posted:

My unconfirmed guess about this is that it's either podcast data or album artwork.

I don't ever mess with podcasts, and all of my album art is always still there when I restore.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm a man with average sized hands too. No it isn't. The 6 rules. The 6+ would be a different story, though.

I've got small man hands and I don't mind using the 6+ with two hands and in fact prefer it over the regular 6. Case closed.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thauros posted:

Not that you're not allowed to want a phone with a smaller screen, but what freaking pants are you guys wearing? I wear mostly Levi 511's, which are pretty slim/skiny as far as dudepants go and my 6+ fits easily in the front pocket and I can sit down without it being a bother. The only time it feels genuinely uncomfortable is if I squat down so my so my thighs are bent up.

I've never thought I had large hands, but maybe they're on the larger size as the 6 feels perfectly operable with 1 hand for a almost anything and my 6+ is pretty operable with 1 hand for a decent amount of operations.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

I don't ever mess with podcasts, and all of my album art is always still there when I restore.

See what PhoneClean can do for your "Other" first.

Mac Windows

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
In the touch ID section, "passbook" is one of the choices in the "allow access when locked" section. If enabled how do you access passbook with the phone locked?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Doesn't it just put the appropriate pass on the lock screen?

I had my boarding passes on the lock screen while flying yesterday. Didn't need to unlock just swipe right and the pass showed.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

kernel panic posted:

I got my new 6 today and everything seems perfect, except for the fact that whenever I scroll on a light background there seems to be something like a bar pattern on the screen - light and dark, about 8 different sections, almost like a backlight defect. Has anyone heard about or experienced anything like this? Googling turned up nothing.

Sometimes my screen goes dark, and I get a glitch pattern of a pixel or two width at the righthand side of the screen. 6+, comes up with Facebook in particular.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Chemmy posted:

Doesn't it just put the appropriate pass on the lock screen?

I had my boarding passes on the lock screen while flying yesterday. Didn't need to unlock just swipe right and the pass showed.

Yeah, if you're near a place where you could use the pass, it just shows up as a lock screen notification. Swiping it will immediately display the pass on-screen, without having to unlock. For example, if you're at the airport, it'll show you your boarding pass automatically.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ouhei posted:

Not that you're not allowed to want a phone with a smaller screen, but what freaking pants are you guys wearing? I wear mostly Levi 511's, which are pretty slim/skiny as far as dudepants go and my 6+ fits easily in the front pocket and I can sit down without it being a bother. The only time it feels genuinely uncomfortable is if I squat down so my so my thighs are bent up.

I've never thought I had large hands, but maybe they're on the larger size as the 6 feels perfectly operable with 1 hand for a almost anything and my 6+ is pretty operable with 1 hand for a decent amount of operations.

Levi 511's as well actually. While the phone's thin enough to fit in there (thinner than my 4S) it takes up more length than I'd like. Really, the main problem is screen size for operation, I'm sure I could get used to carrying it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, if you're near a place where you could use the pass, it just shows up as a lock screen notification. Swiping it will immediately display the pass on-screen, without having to unlock. For example, if you're at the airport, it'll show you your boarding pass automatically.

Or when you're near your preferred Starbucks it can pop up on your lock screen. Passbook will show up on the lock screen based on location, time, or both. I know US Airways doesn't seem to both encoding the airport locations into their Passbook boarding passes so it just pops up as a notification that doesn't go away as the flight time approaches regardless of where I am.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It's been several days and iTunes still doesn't want to put my music onto my iPhone 6. I'm half tempted now to just return it to Apple for a refund and go back to my 5. I was hoping a full reset and reinstall of my stuff would've been enough to make it work.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:lol: Beats Music only launched 9 months ago and Apple is shutting it down already.

quote:

Apple is planning to shut down Beats Music, Techcrunch reports. It's been just nine months since the streaming music service launched, and only four months since Apple acquired parent company Beats Electronics for $3 billion. Quoting "several prominent sources" at Apple, Techcrunch says that many of Beats Music's engineers have been moved on to other projects—such as iTunes, Apple's long-existing listening platform. No timeline has been set for the shuttering.

As Techcrunch points out, Beats Music wasn't automatically installed on the newly released iPhone 6, despite the presence of Apple's other signature apps. They also point out that during Apple's recent launch event, the Beats Music app wasn't seen on the Apple Watch.
http://pitchfork.com/news/56815-apple-reportedly-shutting-down-beats-music/

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm at least a little bit skeptical considering that A) they just released a Beats Music app for Apple TV last week, and B) Tim Cook basically cited the service it as the reason Apple bought the company in his Charlie Rose interview.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:lol: Beats Music only launched 9 months ago and Apple is shutting it down already.

http://pitchfork.com/news/56815-apple-reportedly-shutting-down-beats-music/

Not enough 2 hour EDM mixes that the average iPhone user enjoys, I guess!

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm at least a little bit skeptical considering that A) they just released a Beats Music app for Apple TV last week, and B) Tim Cook basically cited the service it as the reason Apple bought the company in his Charlie Rose interview.

There is this article too.

e: never mind that just sources the same article lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I'm convinced that they are going to roll it into a new itunes streaming service. The streaming model is proving to be the preferred method of consuming music. They are definitely going to want to take what Iovine and Dre started with Beats and improve on it.