Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Austria is up next on my list of Civ's I've never played. Any general tips on map-types or strategies that that work well with Maria Theresa? Are there certain types of city-states I should aim for with Diplomatic Marriage, or certain city-states to avoid taking?

Looking at their uniques the coffee house is pretty neat, a workshop that comes with a free not-limited-to-fresh-water Garden? Sure, why not.

Also is the achievement for getting your religion to dominant in every capital city bugged, or is it one of those you can't get while playing Brave New World? My religion spread over my entire continent in my Babylon game, and I coordinated three Great Prophet bombs to get the last holdouts in the other continent, but I didn't get the achievement for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Are you playing with mods or custom settings?

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Here’s a quick question: When setting up a MP game, what exactly happens when the human players select different difficulty levels?

If I select Diety and my friend selects Prince, how exactly does the AI operate? I’m more or less sure I would get the Diety level of unhappiness, and perhaps the easier difficulty would have more goody huts near his starting location. Besides that, how broken/useful is it to have different difficulty levels in a MP game that has AI in it?

My buddy is a civ novice, where I play regularly on Emperor/Immortal. I would like to play a MP game with him, and have the rest as AI. He is obviously not ready for Emperor/Immortal yet.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Austria is up next on my list of Civ's I've never played. Any general tips on map-types or strategies that that work well with Maria Theresa? Are there certain types of city-states I should aim for with Diplomatic Marriage, or certain city-states to avoid taking?

Looking at their uniques the coffee house is pretty neat, a workshop that comes with a free not-limited-to-fresh-water Garden? Sure, why not.

Austria is one of the "good to great" Civs. Just don't go overboard with the CS buying as I've backed myself into a corner doing that before. Realistically you'll only want to buy out 1, maybe 2 of them. Aside from that they don't really favor one playstyle over another and are pretty vanilla really. Stick to whatever your base strategy is, check out your options from there, and play accordingly basically.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Buy out as many city states as you can while keeping your happiness healthy. Make sure you only buy ones with good natural wonders or luxuries you don't yet have, though.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Also don't buy Mercantile city-states, they're more valuable to you as city-states than as puppets.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The Rev posted:

Here’s a quick question: When setting up a MP game, what exactly happens when the human players select different difficulty levels?

If I select Diety and my friend selects Prince, how exactly does the AI operate? I’m more or less sure I would get the Diety level of unhappiness, and perhaps the easier difficulty would have more goody huts near his starting location. Besides that, how broken/useful is it to have different difficulty levels in a MP game that has AI in it?

My buddy is a civ novice, where I play regularly on Emperor/Immortal. I would like to play a MP game with him, and have the rest as AI. He is obviously not ready for Emperor/Immortal yet.

I want to say that the AI's difficulty/bonuses is based on the highest individual player difficulty. So if you play Deity and he plays Prince, it would be like a Deity game for you, and for your friend it would be like a Deity game but with a few (strictly internal, maybe also affecting barbarians?) things at a friendlier Prince-level.

My advice is for both of you to play at whatever difficulty your friend would be comfortable with, and since you're more experienced, handicap yourself with certain restrictions. Maybe avoid wonders, keep a relatively small standing army, only ever fight defensively, go strictly left to right through the tech tree rather than beelining good things, etc.?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Rev posted:

There are some minor bonuses/maluses associated with each difficulty level. They don’t come close to putting a novice and equal footing with an Immortal player, though.

The AI plays according to the highest difficulty assigned to any player, so if you set your own difficulty to Deity your friend will be in some trouble.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Riso posted:

Are you playing with mods or custom settings?

No mods, the only custom settings I mess with are those in Advanced Setup.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
Any tips for playing Brazil on the Amazon map? My biggest problem is simply finding a spot for a second city. Bananas as far as the eye can see...

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Hahahahaha holy poo poo. I feel like a few things weren't exactly designed for one-city challenge. If you manage to culture-flip someone else's city to while in OCC, the city is instantly razed. I just got/deleted Samoa, which was Polynesia's second city and probably had some cool poo poo in it. They're still at -37 overall happiness, so I hope I can get some more instant kills out of this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
They realized that they could never aspire to make a greater culture than yours so they just nuked themselves in the hopes of achieving more in the afterlife.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

They realized that they could never aspire to make a greater culture than yours so they just nuked themselves in the hopes of achieving more in the afterlife.

Well, they were joined by the citizens of five other cities (:stare:) before they managed to revolution Polynesia into Freedom, so self-immolation is popular in this horrible world I guess.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for some reason i can't stand to play this game at normal speed, it feels like my progress is rounded down in comparison to epic or marathon speeds.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Tollymain posted:

for some reason i can't stand to play this game at normal speed, it feels like my progress is rounded down in comparison to epic or marathon speeds.

I can't play anything but Marathon despite the fact that it takes ages to complete. It just feels like during any war my troops are obsoleted two times before they even reach the enemy lands or see any use. Maybe large and huge maps just don't work well with normal speeds, and that's all I play.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i started a occ game with siam, and the first three civilizations i've come into contact with are the songhai, the zulus, and the indians respectively :cry:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
On that note, OCC with Venice is basically cheating.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AG3 posted:

I can't play anything but Marathon despite the fact that it takes ages to complete. It just feels like during any war my troops are obsoleted two times before they even reach the enemy lands or see any use. Maybe large and huge maps just don't work well with normal speeds, and that's all I play.

I feel the same way and I play on normal/small worlds. I don't have the patience for Marathon but I don't know how people deal with units that obsolete five turns after you build your first in Normal/Quick.

Hopefully Beyond Earth will play a bit nicer with the unit upgrades since there's only 5 tiers, and the upgrades are free and quest/affinity level related, not tech related. It'll be so nice to not have to put an invasion on hold because I have to save up the money to upgrade at least the core of my military.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Minority Deport posted:

Hahahahaha holy poo poo. I feel like a few things weren't exactly designed for one-city challenge. If you manage to culture-flip someone else's city to while in OCC, the city is instantly razed. I just got/deleted Samoa, which was Polynesia's second city and probably had some cool poo poo in it. They're still at -37 overall happiness, so I hope I can get some more instant kills out of this.

Not only that, but it doesn't even give you an option to view/move any great works that might be in the city before it's razed! The same thing happens when you capture an enemy city in a war via OCC.

I do have to say, though, seeing a giant swath of neutral territory suddenly pop up in the middle of Persia's empire where their capital used to be makes it all seem worth it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

Normal/Quick play more to the AI's "strengths" by making economy more important / use of units less important, compared to the slower game speeds. Thus, all else being equal, the slower speeds should make for easier games.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Units being horribly obsolete before being deployed to the battlefield is a human tradition. It's not until a war has been going on for a while and that "home before Christmas" line has become a black joke that things like cavalry get updated to tanks.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Just have so many units you can capture an enemy city and before it gets razed you're in friendly turf. Slam down enough gold and next turn you have a modern death army again. :v:

Also - I don't understand really how to handle diplo in Brave New World. Here's what happens every time: I tech advance, the World Congress turns into the UN, there's a world leader vote, I go OH poo poo and bribe the gently caress out of city states, win a diplo. I can't even get my spaceship parts built fast enough before that vote comes up unless I get the bonus (Freedom ideology I think?) which lets you buy spaceship parts, and then I need a spare 15,000 to actually do it one turn before the vote.

so ... how can I manage the UN, more or less? I don't like just disabling diplo victory but if that's what I gotta do, fine. Otherwise how can I delay votes or otherwise put that poo poo off and get any other victory condition other than an early conquest?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Disable diplo victories. They're the easiest to get because they're really economic victories and you should be optimizing your economy in basically every game anyway.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Psion posted:

Just have so many units you can capture an enemy city and before it gets razed you're in friendly turf. Slam down enough gold and next turn you have a modern death army again. :v:

Also - I don't understand really how to handle diplo in Brave New World. Here's what happens every time: I tech advance, the World Congress turns into the UN, there's a world leader vote, I go OH poo poo and bribe the gently caress out of city states, win a diplo. I can't even get my spaceship parts built fast enough before that vote comes up unless I get the bonus (Freedom ideology I think?) which lets you buy spaceship parts, and then I need a spare 15,000 to actually do it one turn before the vote.

so ... how can I manage the UN, more or less? I don't like just disabling diplo victory but if that's what I gotta do, fine. Otherwise how can I delay votes or otherwise put that poo poo off and get any other victory condition other than an early conquest?

You don't really need to have enough city-states to win world leader when votes come around, you just need enough to prevent your opponents from getting the 40 or so required based on map conditions. If you want to win a different way, just look at the world congress info tab when you get the notification that the World Leader vote is coming up, check how many votes are required to win world leader, and check that against how many total votes are available to your opponents. If they're not really all that close to that target, then just don't sweat it, maintain the votes you have, give what votes you do possess to yourself and then carry on with whatever win condition you're chasing.

Just keep in mind that the vote leader and the civ with the second highest amount of votes will be awarded two more permanent votes in the next round, so a Civ that only has 28 votes this time will have 30 votes the next time around assuming nothing else changes.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
You don't have to give yourself the requisite number of votes should you find yourself in a winning position come the UN vote, just give yourself 1 less than needed. As a bonus you'll get two more to play about with come the next vote.

I always find it much easier to just try to keep an eye on the World Congress as the game progresses. Much better then waiting until the info era and some runaway civ is at 400+ influence with every CS. Keep your spies busy and attempt the odd coup if the chances are in your favour.

Recently had three spies die in a row trying to coup Sydney that was at 80-85% success rate for each coup. On my last turn before winning I had a 25% chance of success so I thought gently caress it. 'Coup was a success!'; gently caress sake!

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 23, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

brozozo posted:

Any tips for playing Brazil on the Amazon map? My biggest problem is simply finding a spot for a second city. Bananas as far as the eye can see...

It's tricky, that's for sure. I tried several times to pull off an Immortal Culture victory with Brazil on Amazon, and never was able to make it work. My biggest problem was finding sources of production, since even if I was willing to raze jungle, there was still very few tiles that had any bonuses to the mine. There's areas of hills around the periphery of the map, so if you're nearby then you should be able to find some productive tiles. Barbarians can be a real issue, so be sure that you're building defensive units. The best thing I can tell you is that the AI is struggling too, even on Immortal, so at least you don't have to worry quite as much about the other nations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AG3 posted:

Huge maps definitely don't work very well with the faster speeds, but Large works perfectly well even with Quick: you can still pull off an archer rush on a Large map/Quick speed. Buy two extra units from what you'd normally use on slower speeds and you can even topple two civs before you have to upgrade to composite bows or siege units. Civs are a lot closer together than you would expect them to be on Large maps.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I finally bothered playing Civ 5. It's pretty fun, but it's obvious to me that nobody really improved the AI since Civ 2, which is kind of sad. And it's a shame that multiplayer is hard to set up for games like these. I keep having the AI totally outpace me at everything except research, but it's too retarded to push for a victory of any kind. Like the Denmark with something insane like 40 delegates in the World Congress refusing to vote himself as the world leader. Or the civ with absolutely crazy culture production not building any actual wonders.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Does the AI have any biases towards certain player civs? For example, every time I play the Aztecs, all the AI civs are massive dicks to me and seemingly have no problem orchestrating a 5 on 1 war against me. I could be chillng in my own little corner doing my own thing, with one of the stronger militaries, and this still always happens. I just rage-quit a game where Byzantium/Russia/Iroquois/Greece/England all declared war on me and the only prior war I participated in was a suggested attack by Russia against Greece where nothing really happened. I was also 2nd in military strength, behind Greece, at the time of the 5 on 1 attack.

Meanwhile, I warmonger like a madman with the Zulus or Chinese or whoever and no one seems to give a poo poo. With other civs, I have no problem playing relatively peaceful games when necessary. I usually play Emperor or Immortal.

I just want to win with the Aztecs :(

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 24, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Just because they declare war doesn't mean they'll actually persecute it effectively. Let them break their armies on your defense and wait for them to sue for peace. As long as you don't go on the offensive I don't think you'll accrue any additional warmonger hate for being declared on.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Yeah, try to fight that war out. Half the time when that happens to me I have a steady trickling stream of extremely outdated units wander into range to get picked off turn by turn.

You'll even get cities off them if you defend well enough, hilariously.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Larry Parrish posted:

So I finally bothered playing Civ 5. It's pretty fun, but it's obvious to me that nobody really improved the AI since Civ 2, which is kind of sad. And it's a shame that multiplayer is hard to set up for games like these. I keep having the AI totally outpace me at everything except research, but it's too retarded to push for a victory of any kind. Like the Denmark with something insane like 40 delegates in the World Congress refusing to vote himself as the world leader. Or the civ with absolutely crazy culture production not building any actual wonders.

The thing was that after so long they actually had a decent AI that, if not brilliant, could at least Stack of Doom properly to take advantage of its production and economy advantages. Now that the game has been turned to 1UPT, which is an overall improvement in my mind, Firaxis has to figure out the AI all over again, at least for the military.

ColdBlooded posted:

Does the AI have any biases towards certain player civs? For example, every time I play the Aztecs, all the AI civs are massive dicks to me and seemingly have no problem orchestrating a 5 on 1 war against me. I could be chillng in my own little corner doing my own thing, with one of the stronger militaries, and this still always happens. I just rage-quit a game where Byzantium/Russia/Iroquois/Greece/England all declared war on me and the only prior war I participated in was a suggested attack by Russia against Greece where nothing really happened. I was also 2nd in military strength, behind Greece, at the time of the 5 on 1 attack.

Meanwhile, I warmonger like a madman with the Zulus or Chinese or whoever and no one seems to give a poo poo. With other civs, I have no problem playing relatively peaceful games when necessary. I usually play Emperor or Immortal.

It's because if you're anything like me, when you're playing peaceful you really don't build that much of an army, especially once you figure out how bad the AI is at fighting. Then if you're warmongering you'll have a huge, hopefully hi-tech army that scares everyone into submission even if they're pissed at you for warmongering.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kaal posted:

It's tricky, that's for sure. I tried several times to pull off an Immortal Culture victory with Brazil on Amazon, and never was able to make it work. My biggest problem was finding sources of production, since even if I was willing to raze jungle, there was still very few tiles that had any bonuses to the mine. There's areas of hills around the periphery of the map, so if you're nearby then you should be able to find some productive tiles. Barbarians can be a real issue, so be sure that you're building defensive units. The best thing I can tell you is that the AI is struggling too, even on Immortal, so at least you don't have to worry quite as much about the other nations.

If you can get to the northeast, you'll escape from the jungle to marshland with some grassland tiles, usually with plentiful sugar in my experience.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ColdBlooded posted:

Does the AI have any biases towards certain player civs?

Nope

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Disable diplo victories. They're the easiest to get because they're really economic victories and you should be optimizing your economy in basically every game anyway.

Little late, but this. Diplo victories tend to finish off the game way too early in comparison to culture/science victories. Domination victories can also occur quickly, but that is more "job well done" in my eyes, whereas diplo victories feel kinda hollow because the AI doesn't put up a fight in them.

ColdBlooded posted:

They have no bias in regards to players, but certain AIs will do things that piss off the other AIs (Ghengis killing city states for example). For the player the key thing is to get in on the denouncement bandwagon before you end up at the bottom of the pile. Wait for someone like Shaka to declare war (or bribe them into war with someone) then immediately denounce them. The next turn all the peaceful Civs will oftentimes do the same, and start bro-fisting you constantly in agreement, and asking for friendship.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Yeah, setting up a worldwide whipping boy that isn't your civ is a great defensive tool.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Alkydere posted:

The thing was that after so long they actually had a decent AI that, if not brilliant, could at least Stack of Doom properly to take advantage of its production and economy advantages. Now that the game has been turned to 1UPT, which is an overall improvement in my mind, Firaxis has to figure out the AI all over again, at least for the military.

This is actually my biggest problem with Civ V, and what inevitably kills it for me every time I try to get into it. It's really sad that in over 100 hours of gameplay I've only seen the AI capture a capital once. The vast majority of my games are really static (AI city spam notwithstanding) until *I* decide to do something. Problems with the Stack of Doom or no, at least in Civ IV you would see dynamic map changes over time as a handful of AI empires dominated other ones and rose to prominence, which in turn set up interesting conflicts down the line. The only way I see other empires becoming large in Civ V is spamming tons of useless and annoying cities all over the place.

I feel a big part of the issue is the limited amount of space for manoeuvring, which, in combination with 1UPT, really hurts the AI's ability to pathfind and get its units into position correctly. Every AI siege I've actually witnessed just ends with them moving units around in seemingly random directions and doing very little actual fighting. It's particularly embarrassing when you watch them attack from sea, and they jump in and out of their boats constantly, wasting moves and exposing themselves as easy kills. And the sad thing is, the AI is actually capable of assembling a large and powerful force, and I do sometimes have an "oh poo poo" moment when one appears out of the blue. But they just can't do anything with it.

The game is wonderful if all you really care about is building stuff and watching your CIV grow, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've seen AI civs lose their capitals to other AI civs. I don't think I've ever seen a single civ control more than 3 capitals at a time though. Part of the issue is that the game is explicitly designed so that the amount of territory you control is not a snowball effect in most situations -- that is, controlling lots of territory doesn't make you (much) better at science, culture, or city-state control (it does make you better at raw tourism and of course at achieving conquest victories). Which means that even if an AI civ manages to take several capitals, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're a runaway threat.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

If the amount of land you control would make a huge difference, venice would suck.

But thankfully that isn't the case, and venice is still an amazing nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Well sure, tiny nations are a lot more viable than they used to be, exactly because having huge amounts of territory is not as powerful as it used to be. As a consequence, AIs don't tend to run away with the game any more (at least not on Emperor; I've heard horror stories about higher difficulties), though an AI that's unable to expand will still generally be insignificant.

• Locked thread