Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

RyokoTK posted:

People like the Toxikk developers apparently looked at the market and said, "you know what the problem is? Too many FPSes are like Call of Duty. They should be more like UT99!" Which is obviously an appealing attitude to us in the Early FPS Megathread, but clearly that's not working out for the genre in general. I want to see arena FPSes (and FPSes in general) expand and change in the 21st century, because the genre is loving stagnant as all hell, but that's not going to happen when the new "old-school FPS that's nothing like call of dookie" attracts only the same tiny niche of gamers as the last one.

I am 100% for developers making the game they want to make. But I'm also very much interested in the Next Big Thing, and the way things stand, arena shooters are not it.

The only substantive complaint anyone makes about arena shooters is the same one people are making in this thread: they get destroyed by high skill players.

Koren posted a game earlier in this thread that directly addresses that problem with a robust matchmaking system, Rush.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Shut up blue stymie

Nice catchphrase you dull dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Amethyst posted:

The only substantive complaint anyone makes about arena shooters is the same one people are making in this thread: they get destroyed by high skill players.

Thanks for your contributions to this thread :jerkbag:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

Thanks for your contributions to this thread :jerkbag:

I've made a lot of effort to show why your complaints about bunny hopping are invalid. If you have a serious rebuttal besides "the free market doesn't like bunny hopping" I'd like to hear it.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Oh boy, several pages of stupid arguments. Here, let me open up some new topics for petty bickering: BRUTAL DOOM IS THE WAY DOOM WAS REALLY MEANT TO BE PLAYED! THERE IS A SINGULAR, PURE, HOLY WAY TO PLAY DOOM AND ANYBODY WHO DOESN'T FOLLOW IT IS OBJECTIVELY WRONG AND A PUSSY AND A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING! QUAKE LIVE SHOULD CHANGE EVEN MORE THINGS ABOUT THE BASE GAME!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Oh boy, several pages of stupid arguments. Here, let me open up some new topics for petty bickering: BRUTAL DOOM IS THE WAY DOOM WAS REALLY MEANT TO BE PLAYED! THERE IS A SINGULAR, PURE, HOLY WAY TO PLAY DOOM AND ANYBODY WHO DOESN'T FOLLOW IT IS OBJECTIVELY WRONG AND A PUSSY AND A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING! QUAKE LIVE SHOULD CHANGE EVEN MORE THINGS ABOUT THE BASE GAME!

Grow up.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Look at this stupid little tantrum you threw.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Quake 3 is inherently inferior to Ut99 by simple virtue of the fact that there is nothing akimbo in Quake 3.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Quake 3 is inherently inferior to Ut99 by simple virtue of the fact that there is nothing akimbo in Quake 3.

Quake 3's shotgun and grenade launcher are also objectively worse than the flak cannon.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Elliotw2 posted:

Quake 3's shotgun and grenade launcher are also objectively worse than the flak cannon.

This is true and I prefer Quake 3. The flak cannon is loving awesome.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Amethyst posted:

Look at this stupid little tantrum you threw.

Yeah it's a pretty casual tantrum, unlike your pro one.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah it's a pretty casual tantrum, unlike your pro one.

I'm not even good at quake.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

As such, I got to run around an overly-large Arabian cave with tons of ambushing Shamblers to "Amigos Para Siempre". Surreal, to put it mildly.
Alan Wake III: Arena

Back when I first played Half-Life, I played it on the family computer and forgot to insert the disk. I never noticed in time that my aunt's Celine Dion cd was still in there, until the point where, during the bombardment in "Forget about Freeman," My Heart Will Go On started playing.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Nice catchphrase you dull dickhead.

Don't sign your posts.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Spying another player racing for the MEGAHEALTH, Amethyst launches off a plasma core from his ASMD shock rifle--the core moves ponderously through the air. Steady...steady... It still might have a chance.

Elsewhere, Chinese Tony Danza attempts to get the drop on an opponent who appears to be AFK, but he accidentally bunny-hops into a lava trap, leaving kirbysuperstar to take the kill and rapidly crouch over the corpse.

HEADSHOT.

But then: Just as Amethyst's about to shoot the plasma core with a laser beam, Segmentation Fault double-jumps into the room and unloads a Flak Shell into Amethyst's face.

M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
UT99: The Text Adventure

(I would play the poo poo out of that game)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I feel like a UT99 text adventure where you assemble and manage a gladiator team would be pretty great.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

>Malcolm's ego was bruised in the last fight against Gorge, pay $2500 for healing? (You have $6000)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Carefully rotate your team's roster around so none of them realize you're leaving everyone on defense while you go get the flag yourself, or suffer the emotional backlash.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Woah, 90 posts in the Early FPS megathread! something cool must of been released!.....oh.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The wars of 1999 Q3A v UT will never end.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Well then...

Also one thing about Mobas, they are really easy to blame losses on not you or admitting the enemy is good (scapegoat those loving losers on your team!). Much harder to do that in FPSs, pretty much impossible in Arena Shooters.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

The wars of 1999 Q3A v UT will never end.

Can't help it when exact duplicates of both games are being made simultaneously.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Cerepol posted:

Well then...

Also one thing about Mobas, they are really easy to blame losses on not you or admitting the enemy is good (scapegoat those loving losers on your team!). Much harder to do that in FPSs, pretty much impossible in Arena Shooters.

I take it you only play FFA modes then.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

Shut up blue stymie

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

I take it you only play FFA modes then.

I'm talking about your casuals/pubbies who start playing. It means they don't get discouraged as much cause it isn't their fault.
When I play dotes I only play with jimbo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cerepol posted:

I'm talking about your casuals/pubbies who start playing. It means they don't get discouraged as much cause it isn't their fault.
When I play dotes I only play with jimbo.

Btw, you're unbanned from BWF if you didn't know.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The unbelievers in the righteousness of Quake 3 and her trick jumps will be dragged to a picmip_7 hell with shadows disabled by an army of solid green Keels. There, they will be forced to repent by being killed over and over in an Aerowalk 1v1 duel with 150 FOV. If they have not achieved the almighty 800 FPS, they must suffer even more humiliating defeats. Once they realize that Quake 3 is The Best FPS Ever Made, know every trick jump, and have manged to reach 800 FPS, only will they be allowed to get a single frag in a duel. The green Keel gods are not merciless, you see.

The final step for redemption will be to admit that UT99 is for scrubs and that Quake 3 1v1 duels are the only way to play FPS games. After that, the former unbeliever will be able to win a duel against a green Keel and free their soul.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 23, 2014

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Lol you guys are pathetically defensive. It was you idiots who were making GBS threads all over the quake players, not the other way around.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I can keep making GBS threads on pro-esport q3a players, but it gets boring after a bit and we covered everything. Instead let's talk about how UT4 plays pretty nicely in alpha, and it has a nice mix of the UT2k4 trick wall dodging, and the UT99 grounded fast feel. The weapons also feel nice, but they're literally identical to the UT3 versions for now. I guess I could also make a joke about how it's true high fps shooter, since it literally has only one wall texture and everyone glows bright rear end white/blue/red right now.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Amethyst posted:

Lol you guys are pathetically defensive. It was you idiots who were making GBS threads all over the quake players, not the other way around.

It's fun making GBS threads on grognards, and I say this as a classic FPS fan. If "hardkore pro" players/grognards think that making the game look like Pong so they can get their oh-so-valuable 600 FPS (which actually means jack poo poo) is essential to playing the game the right way and because their eyesight is so bad they can't see a moving object unless it's a bright green object in the middle of a sea of tan, then gently caress yeah I'm going to make fun of them for being out-of-touch idiots that wonder why nobody wants to play games like Quake anymore.

Also, poo poo like trickjumping would work way better if they simply made the natural jump height and run speed like it is when you're in the middle of a bunnyhop and got rid of bunnyhopping. If people can hop around like in frag videos right off the bat, people would understand the game a lot better instead of having to learn a mysterious key combination first that you're never, ever told about while some bitter and angry IT guy in his early 30s runs circles around you. UT4 got rid of doublejumping because making someone hit the jump key again in the middle of a jump to go higher is stupid when you can simply make them jump higher right off the bat. You can keep things like rocketjumping though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I feel like a UT99 text adventure where you assemble and manage a gladiator team would be pretty great.

Years back someone made a God of War text adventure game as narrated by a historically knowledgeable fratboy and it ruled. Someone should do the same for UT or Doom or something because it would own.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I like that UT4 got rid of the double jump, but at the same time I'm so used to hitting jump twice in 2k4 and 3 (even though in 3 double jumping was completely useless and only served to fire Jump Boots.)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

closeted republican posted:

It's fun making GBS threads on grognards, and I say this as a classic FPS fan. If "hardkore pro" players/grognards think that making the game look like Pong so they can get their oh-so-valuable 600 FPS (which actually means jack poo poo) is essential to playing the game the right way and because their eyesight is so bad they can't see a moving object unless it's a bright green object in the middle of a sea of tan, then gently caress yeah I'm going to make fun of them for being out-of-touch idiots that wonder why nobody wants to play games like Quake anymore.

Also, poo poo like trickjumping would work way better if they simply made the natural jump height and run speed like it is when you're in the middle of a bunnyhop and got rid of bunnyhopping. If people can hop around like in frag videos right off the bat, people would understand the game a lot better instead of having to learn a mysterious key combination first that you're never, ever told about while some bitter and angry IT guy in his early 30s runs circles around you. UT4 got rid of doublejumping because making someone hit the jump key again in the middle of a jump to go higher is stupid when you can simply make them jump higher right off the bat. You can keep things like rocketjumping though.

You can't wrap your head around the idea that the reason trick jumping is interesting is because it takes skill to execute.

On top of that you have an aggressively stupid and and angry attitude toward people who can, in the early FPS megathread.

Your whole top-down design, anti skill ideology of game design is dull, and likely has it's roots in your emotional inability to deal with own lack of skill.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
They should also add a comeback mechanic -- some sort of blue-tinted, spiky rocket that homes in on the opponent and impairs their ability to use "cheap" movement tactics like hitting spacebar rhythmically.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

I like that UT4 got rid of the double jump, but at the same time I'm so used to hitting jump twice in 2k4 and 3 (even though in 3 double jumping was completely useless and only served to fire Jump Boots.)

The timing for UT2k4's double jump is weird, but 3's was just right for me. :shobon:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The timing for UT2k4's double jump is weird, but 3's was just right for me. :shobon:

I don't mind the 2k4 double jump timing too much, but I never really got super great at double jump to wall dodge chains. Instead I got good at landing flak shells into a flying person's face.

The 2k4 wall dodging, and general UT dodging, is a good example of a "trick jump" that promotes the high level play, but is easy enough to grasp the basics of, or how to counter it so that a new player can jump on a DM-Rankin and still get a few frags. Epic specifically makes sure that regular bunny hopping and such doesn't really work, instead you learn how to completely stay off the ground.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Back when I first played Half-Life, I played it on the family computer and forgot to insert the disk. I never noticed in time that my aunt's Celine Dion cd was still in there, until the point where, during the bombardment in "Forget about Freeman," My Heart Will Go On started playing.

This is beautiful.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't mind the 2k4 double jump timing too much, but I never really got super great at double jump to wall dodge chains. Instead I got good at landing flak shells into a flying person's face.

The 2k4 wall dodging, and general UT dodging, is a good example of a "trick jump" that promotes the high level play, but is easy enough to grasp the basics of, or how to counter it so that a new player can jump on a DM-Rankin and still get a few frags. Epic specifically makes sure that regular bunny hopping and such doesn't really work, instead you learn how to completely stay off the ground.

It's not hard to pick up, but it bugs me the game never tells you about them.

A problem I have with UT2k4's gameplay is that they make any sort of projectile weapon nearly useless because the maps are huge and the jumps players perform make it very hard to land projectile shots because everyone is hopping around. This makes the game turn into a hitscan-only game, which isn't interesting to me. In Q3 and UT99, projectiles and hitscan are both useful, which is a lot more interesting and fun. I think if the maps had a decent level scale, like in UT99 and Q3, projectiles would be viable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
For some bizarre reason, Valve and Nexon are releasing a free-to-play co-op zombie-shooting variant of Counter-Strike 1.6 in a few hours, and I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It's not hard to pick up, but it bugs me the game never tells you about them.

A problem I have with UT2k4's gameplay is that they make any sort of projectile weapon nearly useless because the maps are huge and the jumps players perform make it very hard to land projectile shots because everyone is hopping around. This makes the game turn into a hitscan-only game, which isn't interesting to me. In Q3 and UT99, projectiles and hitscan are both useful, which is a lot more interesting and fun. I think if the maps had a decent level scale, like in UT99 and Q3, projectiles would be viable.

It actually does tell you about them, once, in the throwaway tutorial in UT2k3 and the extremely short tutorial video in 2k4 mentions them once and doesn't show them.