Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

19 o'clock posted:

I think my department had around $200/year/employee scheduled.
The intent of this budget is for you to take "professional certification" classes.

Which is an utter loving racket. The whole system exists because each state wants every finance person who "conducts business" (i.e. talks to a person) in that state to have a license. The licensing process is "write a check to the state licensing commission and take a test online".

There are classes you take for these professional certifications. The only reason the class exists is to tell you what the test answers are. (The reason this is useful is that the test is looking for a specific answer, not just "what is right". If you give the right answer worded wrongly, then that's marked incorrect. If you give the right answer plus a little extra work, that's marked incorrect.)

So you pay a fee to the class to, basically, get the answer key. Then you pay a fee to the state government. You do not actually learn anything as a result of this process but the state can claim that it's looking out for its citizens, and the company can boast about the number of certifications its employees hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Miss-Bomarc posted:

The intent of this budget is for you to take "professional certification" classes.

Oh, absolutely true. I will gladly defend in today's exit interview that my CPA testing cost a tad bit more than $200. Continuing professional education for me as a CPA comes out ahead of $200 as well (not a CPA yet...). $200 may snag you some private company's certification of training or some such, but at my level those things are meaningless in my opinion.

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 22, 2014

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

dennyk posted:

Basic deductive reasoning really does just escape some people, doesn't it? :cripes:

It ought to be legal to use heat sterilization to prevent the spread of infectious diseases when the infection vector is some rear end in a top hat who won't stay home when they're horribly sick.
Coworker is in again today, after leaving early friday, and sounds even worse. Shes "not sure" its bronchitis except for all the symptoms that point to bronchitis and that the rest of her family apparently has bronchitis. I just kept talking in increasingly scary words about how bad I get when I have bronchitis and shes also six months pregnant, so now shes going to see a doctor (despite being sick most of last week she hasnt seen one). Shes coughing directly into her hands, then occasionally hands me stuff, and I make no effort to hide the sheer amount of hand sanitizer I use the second I touch anything she touches. Three months is no exaggeration on how long I was sick last year. I'm already working 10 hour days, if I get sick again I am saying gently caress it and taking a week off.

gently caress people who have the ability to take sick time and just don't.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 22, 2014

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

Renegret posted:

I've been on Jury Duty for the past two weeks, I'm in the office today but the trial continues next week.

I currently have seven thousand unread e-mails.

How in the hell do you manage that much email? :psyduck: Sure it's over a two week period but that doesn't make it any less insane. There's no way any reasonable person could expect you to catch up on that many emails once you get back.

ladyweapon posted:

Coworker is in again today, after leaving early friday, and sounds even worse. Shes "not sure" its bronchitis except for all the symptoms that point to bronchitis and that the rest of her family apparently has bronchitis. I just kept talking in increasingly scary words about how bad I get when I have bronchitis and shes also six months pregnant, so now shes going to see a doctor (despite being sick most of last week she hasnt seen one). Shes coughing directly into her hands, then occasionally hands me stuff, and I make no effort to hide the sheer amount of hand sanitizer I use the second I touch anything she touches. Three months is no exaggeration on how long I was sick last year. I'm already working 10 hour days, if I get sick again I am saying gently caress it and taking a week off.

gently caress people who have the ability to take sick time and just don't.

gently caress your co-worker so much. There's a special place in hell for people who knowingly expose others to their infectious disease. I'm immune compromised and depend on other people to do things like get vaccinated and have some loving manners when they're sick. The accountant here gets sick all the time, never takes time off, and hacks with her wet cough all over everything in the office. I've taken to spraying Lysol all over desks, doorknobs, countertops, cabinet handles, fridge handle, etc. every morning when I come in. She came in to the office with some Zicam and thought she was doing everyone a huge favor (after we kept telling her to see a doctor). Zicam is homeopathic bullshit, there's no actual medicine in it at all. On one hand it's easy to be angry at her for being so irresponsible; on the other, her English isn't very good and may not realize that she's being deceived.

I hope your disgusting disease vector coworker sees a doctor and gets some medication (and maybe takes some sick time off, too, Jesus).

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Poop Cupcake posted:

gently caress your co-worker so much. There's a special place in hell for people who knowingly expose others to their infectious disease. I'm immune compromised and depend on other people to do things like get vaccinated and have some loving manners when they're sick. The accountant here gets sick all the time, never takes time off, and hacks with her wet cough all over everything in the office. I've taken to spraying Lysol all over desks, doorknobs, countertops, cabinet handles, fridge handle, etc. every morning when I come in. She came in to the office with some Zicam and thought she was doing everyone a huge favor (after we kept telling her to see a doctor). Zicam is homeopathic bullshit, there's no actual medicine in it at all. On one hand it's easy to be angry at her for being so irresponsible; on the other, her English isn't very good and may not realize that she's being deceived.

I hope your disgusting disease vector coworker sees a doctor and gets some medication (and maybe takes some sick time off, too, Jesus).

Christ, spray her with the loving Lysol.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Lowly posted:

It's probably because the managers are deciding the award and they give it to someone who helped them with some specific problem they had directly. In other words, they weren't really considering who went above and beyond in their work in general, it was more like "who has helped ME PERSONALLY out the most this year?

We have a similar award and when the company was small, it was spread evenly among different people and departments. I won it twice! Now that the company is much larger and more corporate the only people who ever win it are sales, marketing or IT people. No one from my department has won the award in several years, and I really doubt if anyone ever will again, as we are pretty much invisible to the rest of the company at this point, unless we do something wrong. We frequently catch and prevent mistakes that would cost the company a lot of money, but unless you were to send an email out to everyone announcing it, no one ever knows when that happens but you.

Welcome to corporate America :)

My organization does awards like this per-department which means someone in HR doesn't go up against someone in research who have completely different goals so we give out a lot of awards in a year.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

sbaldrick posted:

My organization does awards like this per-department which means someone in HR doesn't go up against someone in research who have completely different goals so we give out a lot of awards in a year.

That... doesn't sound horrible at all. What's the catch?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ItalicSquirrels posted:

The lawyers get cars as a bonus, while the support staff gets a $20 grocery store gift card?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The lawyers get cars as a bonus, while the support staff gets a $20 grocery store gift card?

$20 for me is about a week and a half of food while my wife's on a trip*. You can bet your rear end that if I were offered gift cards to Giant I'd be a model employee.

*My wife travels for a living and is on the road for literally 60% of the year.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
We got $15 gift cards to the local grocery store stapled to our pay stubs right before thanksgiving to buy a turkey. That's as close as we got to holiday bonuses :unsmith:

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
My manager has a thing now where if I make a mistake - like a typo - I'm given a lecture and explanation about professionalism and the vision of the company.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

CelestialScribe posted:

My manager has a thing now where if I make a mistake - like a typo - I'm given a lecture and explanation about professionalism and the vision of the company.

I have a vision of an updated resume.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

Does it follow a line of, 'if you can go a second without making a mistake, you can go a minute, and if you can go a minute, you can go an hour, etc?" If it does, that is Scientology level BS.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
My new manager is patient, understanding, highly competent, and an incredible mentor.

He also just spent 15 mins ranting to me about Benghazi.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

enraged_camel posted:

Because bringing up grievances with HR and your boss during your employment can get you labeled as a "troublemaker" and hurt your chances to get promotions, raises, etc. Whereas when you leave, you don't have any chips in the game anymore, so you can just speak your mind (without burning bridges).

I guess fortunately I have never felt this. A weird company that punishes employees that try to improve it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Xibanya posted:

My new manager is patient, understanding, highly competent, and an incredible mentor.

What would Vilerat think?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

So I'm friends with one of our HR recruiters and the other day we were talking about how hard life is these days for college graduates.

She casually said something along the lines of, "we really like hiring people with student loans because they stay longer and it boosts our retention numbers."

I wanted to shoot her in the face.

Unfortunately, it wasn't in writing...

Well when I was recruiting on limited resources, I knew for the most part we couldn't get the "best" candidates, although ultimately we did get smart people who did a good job. It actually was a plus if you had some minor flaw, like you were really smart but an underachiever in school. Then we could make our mediocre salary offer and expect you to work at our satellite office out in the suburbs.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Xibanya posted:

I had a great, wonderful boss who was incredibly supportive and gave me the ability to do my own poo poo and run my own programs with minimal interference. She was the perfect type of manager who understands that her job is to shield you from the demands of those above her so you can do your job.

I also couldn't eat tofu or corn in front of her without hearing about GMOs. It just turned into a fun game to figure out how deep it went. I eventually gave up when she pointed out the chemtrail on the plane flying overhead, realizing there was no bottom to this well.

Take what you can get, and just smile and nod.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Good managers are all conspiracy nuts, got it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ItalicSquirrels posted:

To get any real good gifts you have to be here for like 30 years.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

quote:

Please re-send order list. Not able to make out dates in excel document you sent. dates look like this ###

:geno:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

:suicide:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

I love that stuff. Right up there with people writing novels in Excel and asking for help in printing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

hahahahahaha holy poo poo

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Once upon a time, I used to think Google Docs was cool, revolutionary even. One place to store relevant documentation, track edits, and search for information? How can you lose?

Well, it turns out losing is what happens when every single loving document, issue list, company quarterly rocks, and client information is all stored in Google Docs, with everyone having the capacity to change titles, information in the documents themselves, and otherwise delete/edit/add content at any given time with zero oversight.

It's like walking into a library one day, then coming back the next day to find that maybe the covers on the books are the same, but all the chapters are different. Thought you'd find your answer in this one??? Jokes on you, it never existed in the first place! I'm sorry that you didn't know that project tracking was being stored in this book, you should have paid close attention as the title, number of pages and relevant responsible parties were being continually modified and included/discluded.

It's a spiraling, whirlpool nightmare that nobody and everybody is responsible for.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 24, 2014

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Our intranet is similar.

Updating a procedure? Don't edit the existing one. Upload a brand new one. Make sure it's named differently to ensure confusion.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

a shameful boehner posted:

Once upon a time, I used to think Google Docs was cool, revolutionary even. One place to store relevant documentation, track edits, and search for information? How can you lose?

Well, it turns out losing is what happens when every single loving document, issue list, company quarterly rocks, and client information is all stored in Google Docs, with everyone having the capacity to change titles, information in the documents themselves, and otherwise delete/edit/add content at any given time with zero oversight.

It's like walking into a library one day, then coming back the next day to find that maybe the covers on the books are the same, but all the chapters are different. Thought you'd find your answer in this one??? Jokes on you, it never existed in the first place! I'm sorry that you didn't know that project tracking was being stored in this book, you should have paid close attention as the title, number of pages and relevant responsible parties were being continually modified and included/discluded.

It's a spiraling, whirlpool nightmare that nobody and everybody is responsible for.

I think you'd have the same problem with SharePoint or anything else that doesn't actually have intelligent permissions provided by the document owner. You can't blame docs for your organization not having any organization.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

a shameful boehner posted:

Hahaha, my company develops lovely document management software and you're our target audience. You have no idea how many companies are willing to shell out tens of thousands of dollars (plus annual "support" payments) just because they don't know how to organize their documents and permissions properly.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I think you'd have the same problem with SharePoint or anything else that doesn't actually have intelligent permissions provided by the document owner. You can't blame docs for your organization not having any organization.

Oh, believe me, I don't blame Google Docs.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
At least y'all use electronic formats. When I ask for an electronic format from a coworker, it tends to come as an Excel print with writing all over it scanned as a .PDF.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
My old cGMP/ISO 17025 food safety lab had all of our controlled documentation in hard copy note books. No electronic system, and yes one of the manuals went missing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Poop Cupcake posted:

How in the hell do you manage that much email? :psyduck: Sure it's over a two week period but that doesn't make it any less insane. There's no way any reasonable person could expect you to catch up on that many emails once you get back.

My general strategy is right click -> Mark All as Read.

We're a big team and we have a lot of automated e-mails that get sent to the entire department. For the most part, I'm not responsible for E-Mails that come in when I'm not working. I have filters for HR and management so I can pick those out of the mess while everything else gets ignored.

Management is aware of the problem and anything that's actually important gets forwarded a thousand times at different times of the day for a week as well as some sort of direct verbal communication.

e: Also this place is so dysfunctional that anything important I had to know yesterday probably isn't relevant anymore today.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 24, 2014

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I have to ask. Do companies in the US really use cubicles?

I always thought that was a screen writing thing to give the character privacy.

Do your bosses think that you'll all stop working if you are able to talk to one another? How does working in a team happen?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Yes, cubicles are real things.

quote:

Do your bosses think

Many don't.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Do your bosses think that you'll all stop working if you are able to talk to one another? How does working in a team happen?

Cubicles are the best case. In cubes people respect your space, they don't creep up on you, and they mind their business. You can get work done.

Without cubes it's a miserable panopticon slash petri dish.

Working in a team happens in meetings. Or by talking over the cube walls. (Though that's mostly bitching about external people. Bitching about internal people is done in private cube visits)

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Yes in the US there are cubicles. In a modern office the peons have walls about waist height, and the salarymen get full walls for privacy. Managers of peons will probably be in the corner of the cube farm with two full walls and two glass ones so they can easily view their charges. If there are any actual offices in the building they belong to either very important people, or to IT or HR, since they're the most likely to have sensitive stuff lying around.

Among the low-walled peons you can gauge status by the number of monitors they have.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Yes in the US there are cubicles. In a modern office the peons have walls about waist height, and the salarymen get full walls for privacy. Managers of peons will probably be in the corner of the cube farm with two full walls and two glass ones so they can easily view their charges. If there are any actual offices in the building they belong to either very important people, or to IT or HR, since they're the most likely to have sensitive stuff lying around.

Among the low-walled peons you can gauge status by the number of monitors they have.

2, and the walls go almost to my shoulders :smuggo:

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002
Hah, cubicles, that's a good one. We're still stuck with "high density seating" here. I wish I had that level of privacy. To make matters worse, all the meeting rooms are booked at least a week in advance and even the lunch room tables are taken for overflow meetings. You pretty much have to wander like a nomad to have a private phone conversation, or leave the building.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

19 o'clock posted:

At least y'all use electronic formats. When I ask for an electronic format from a coworker, it tends to come as an Excel print with writing all over it scanned as a .PDF.

Sometimes I have to check one list against another list so I asked for an excel doc so I could use a macro to find the discrepancies. He printed me out 3 pages with over 100 entries. And then added more to them with pen. He used a ruler and drew little rows and columns and added more that he "forgot."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

How does working in a team happen?

Poorly.