Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The 2 hour one or the 24 hour one?

Tap 24 times for the 24 hour jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

This would be the case for a 5, yeah? I'm asking because I had a loaner 4S from a friend and even after taking out the SIM, it still showed Verizon in the status bar and had service (didn't test calling, took out the SIM so I couldn't connect to data).

For a 5 or newer, yes. For a 4S you need to deal with the carrier an have them to move the phone line to a different device.

The SIM in a CDMA 4S is just for international GSM roaming, and doesn't mean anything at all when you're in the US.

Even if the service has been taken off on the carrier end, the phone may well still show Verizon and signal bars in the status bar. But if you try making a call, you should get a recording saying that phone doesn't have service on it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Quadra tap the button to start playing my sick new EDM mix

"What is the word I'm looking for? Quadrant? That can't be it. Quadra! Hmm, that can't be right either – whatever."

Quadruple

kitten smoothie posted:

For a 5 or newer, yes. For a 4S you need to deal with the carrier an have them to move the phone line to a different device.

The SIM in a CDMA 4S is just for international GSM roaming, and doesn't mean anything at all when you're in the US.

Even if the service has been taken off on the carrier end, the phone may well still show Verizon and signal bars in the status bar. But if you try making a call, you should get a recording saying that phone doesn't have service on it.

Perfect. Thanks!

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

fordan posted:

Yeah, I suspect it's playing the alert to bluetooth audio and if you aren't listening to something from your phone it'll be ignored. The "correct" way for your car to handle it is to use the Bluetooth Message Access Profile to get notified about new messages and alert you, but not that many cars do that. Most only deal with audio playing and the hands free protocol for phone calls.

Ah that makes sense. I'll check the car manual if it mentions anything, thanks

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The Hey Siri functionality talked about on the last page like cooking or holding a baby, etc, are all great. But that brings me back to my earlier complaint of needing Touch ID as a passcode if you want it on at all.

If I'm cooking and want to use hey Siri to check measurements and such, I wouldn't be able to have Siri read me a text message while I was busy without unlocking the phone first, which totally negates hands-free operability.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

noirstronaut posted:

"What is the word I'm looking for? Quadrant? That can't be it. Quadra! Hmm, that can't be right either – whatever."

Quadruple

It really depends on how much League of Legends you play

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

The Hey Siri functionality talked about on the last page like cooking or holding a baby, etc, are all great. But that brings me back to my earlier complaint of needing Touch ID as a passcode if you want it on at all.

If I'm cooking and want to use hey Siri to check measurements and such, I wouldn't be able to have Siri read me a text message while I was busy without unlocking the phone first, which totally negates hands-free operability.

General>Touch ID & Passcode

Under "Allow Access When Locked" make sure Siri and Reply with Message is turned on.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

flosofl posted:

General>Touch ID & Passcode

Under "Allow Access When Locked" make sure Siri and Reply with Message is turned on.

This was suggested last time. That allows you to reply to a message but it does not allow Siri to dictate a message you've received without unlocking first.

Example: "hey Siri text Joe Schmo: want to go see a movie later"

*get a text reply from Joe, hands are full*

"Hey siri read my text message"

*sorry you have to unlock your phone first*

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

This was suggested last time. That allows you to reply to a message but it does not allow Siri to dictate a message you've received without unlocking first.

Example: "hey Siri text Joe Schmo: want to go see a movie later"

*get a text reply from Joe, hands are full*

"Hey siri read my text message"

*sorry you have to unlock your phone first*

I just did this now, from the lock screen, with touch ID enabled. It read the message just fine and I successfully sent a reply all while dictating everything.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

DarkJC posted:

I just did this now, from the lock screen, with touch ID enabled. It read the message just fine and I successfully sent a reply all while dictating everything.

I just tried it again. I have a few texts so I locked the screen and said "hey Siri read my texts"

It said "you have a few text messages, you'll need to unlock your iPhone to hear them"

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Do you have Show Previews turned off under Settings > Notifications > Messages?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Finally got round to trying the phones out, the Plus is ridiculous and I don't know what they were thinking. The normal 6 is quite nice, though I don't really know much about iOS as the last time I used it was 3.0.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Mine all went like that on the Lightning end but not the USB end. I had no idea that replacement was an option! Looks like I'll be bringing a bunch of cables with me next time I'm near an Apple store.

I think you still need a device in warranty. The guy asked me when I got the cables and I said I didn't remember (knowing they were 2 years old) and he asked what phone I had. I said a 6 and he said cool we can use that warranty to replace it.

Granted this was at the Flagship store in SF, where some guy at the Genius Bar slammed his fists down on the table and screamed "this is hosed" and they continued to help him, so YMMV.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

I don't have time to catch up on all of this thread, but are there any 6 cases that are widely recommended yet?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do you have Show Previews turned off under Settings > Notifications > Messages?

That was what did it, and it does make sense. I had to turn off previews because a few years ago my phone text alert went on and I asked my friend to see what it was and it was my girlfriend at the time sending me a picture of her rear end. It's also helpful when I'm showing someone something on my phone and I get a text from a friend (or enemy) telling me what a big human being I am. I'll leave previews on for the sake of Siri functionality and hope it doesn't get me into any trouble.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dutchbstrd posted:

Granted this was at the Flagship store in SF, where some guy at the Genius Bar slammed his fists down on the table and screamed "this is hosed" and they continued to help him, so YMMV.
Years of Steve stopping by trained them for that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

That was what did it, and it does make sense. I had to turn off previews because a few years ago my phone text alert went on and I asked my friend to see what it was and it was my girlfriend at the time sending me a picture of her rear end. It's also helpful when I'm showing someone something on my phone and I get a text from a friend (or enemy) telling me what a big human being I am. I'll leave previews on for the sake of Siri functionality and hope it doesn't get me into any trouble.

This seems like a problem better suited to a social solution than a technical one.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShoogaSlim posted:

Have the girlfriend use WhatsApp or whatever for the rear end shots and turn off previews for that. Lose the lovely friend. Problem solved.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

lelandjs posted:

Have the girlfriend use WhatsApp or whatever for the rear end shots and turn off previews for that. Lose the lovely friend. Problem solved.

Or just have her put them on her photo stream and share them via iCloud....

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

I saw something on MacRumors about it earlier, but didn't read the article. It's safe to assume you're not alone. That said, I've had no issues with my iPhone 6 and AEBS.

I've had an issue with my 6 not connecting to WiFi. I tried shutting it off, and then on again, but it won't even see the wireless network. Only way I fixed it was to reboot the phone.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just tried going to SA while Safari was in landscape mode and it turns out that it's totally usable on my 6 Plus. It's not really more practical than using the app, but it's a good temporary solution until the iOS 8 version comes out.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

lelandjs posted:

Just tried going to SA while Safari was in landscape mode and it turns out that it's totally usable on my 6 Plus. It's not really more practical than using the app, but it's a good temporary solution until the iOS 8 version comes out.

Awful app works fine on my 6+?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Awful app works fine on my 6+?

And you can probably read posts on it from across the room.

E: I guess "until the 6/6+ version comes out" would be more accurate than what he originally said.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

comper posted:

And you can probably read posts on it from across the room.

E: I guess "until the 6/6+ version comes out" would be more accurate than what he originally said.

Lower font scaling and it's pretty much perfect.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Lower font scaling and it's pretty much perfect.

At least on my end, this only applies to the board/thread lists. In-topic text is still blown up along with the menu bar at the top, like pretty much all third-party apps that haven't been updated yet.

In-app scale results in the text being even blurrier for me.

comper fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 23, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

This is the good thing about do not disturb mode being in the control panel.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

^ Good call. The butt-pic incident happened about four years ago before DND was a thing. DND is a precious resource for when I'm showing my boss something on my MacBook.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The rumors about Beats Music shutting down were not true, says Apple.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I could have seen them shutting it down but let's be honest here, once I got to the meat of the TechCrunch article... the logic is loving ridiculous. :)

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
My coworker just got an unlocked T-Mobile iPhone 6 on the nerd plan. I'm on the same plan on an unlocked Moto X 2013. When both our phone are in the same spots, his will either have no service or one bar of 4G. Mine will almost always be on LTE. If he cycles airplane mode, his phone will usually find a signal, but it will only be one bar of 4G. Walking around work, my phone will almost always be on 1-2 bars of LTE where his will continue to say no signal or 1 bar of 4G.

Is there a signal issue with iPhone 6s? ios8? I'm pretty sure both phones can access the same LTE frequencies. Why would I get decent service when he gets none?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="435310291"]
My coworker just got an unlocked T-Mobile iPhone 6 on the nerd plan. I'm on the same plan on an unlocked Moto X 2013. When both our phone are in the same spots, his will either have no service or one bar of 4G. Mine will almost always be on LTE. If he cycles airplane mode, his phone will usually find a signal, but it will only be one bar of 4G. Walking around work, my phone will almost always be on 1-2 bars of LTE where his will continue to say no signal or 1 bar of 4G.

Is there a signal issue with iPhone 6s? ios8? I'm pretty sure both phones can access the same LTE frequencies. Why would I get decent service when he gets none?

Different phones have better antennas than others. Motorola is pretty well regarded for having excellent antennas.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="435310291"]
Does he ever get LTE? Otherwise it sounds like a bum SIM to me.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

comper posted:

At least on my end, this only applies to the board/thread lists. In-topic text is still blown up along with the menu bar at the top, like pretty much all third-party apps that haven't been updated yet.

In-app scale results in the text being even blurrier for me.

Did you look at the in app scaling option? I meant that, in the Awful settings.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Does he ever get LTE? Otherwise it sounds like a bum SIM to me.

He'll get it outside and for split seconds inside.

The reason I'm not entirely sure it's due to better Motorola antennas is because his phone often won't regain a signal until he cycles airplane mode.

eames
May 9, 2009

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="435310291"]

No, the Motorola just has way better reception than the iPhones.

The reception in certain spots of my house was very bad with my old 5 and the 6 doesn't change anything about this.
I bought a cheap Motorola Moto G as a replacement for when I broke my iPhone 5 and it hat perfectly crystal clear signal everywhere. Even in the spots where my iPhones had no signal at all.
Unfortunately I couldn't get along with the android os and its apps at all so I sold it and used my old iPhone 4 (non-S with the antenna issue) and called people from my balcony. :D

Voice over WiFi can't come soon enough for me.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
So this is the next big problem huh

http://youtu.be/znK652H6yQM

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone with access to a decent load frame needs to do some flexural strength testing on a selection of jumbophones.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Haha the slowmo feature kicks rear end. My buddies did a whole bunch of dumb poo poo just to see it happen in those glorious 240 fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C42aCxmbKBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXPWLi_ZE0Y

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Samara posted:

Just make sure you put it in your pocket the opposite direction half the time so that it bends itself back. :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samara posted:

Yeah I'd say anyone who has the impulse to forcefully bend their expensive device is definitely a big problem. ;)