Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Forums Terrorist posted:

Sero won't be happy until everyone itt is playing rulesets that you can only order as scans of typewritten paper that are delivered by fax

This. Plus the ruleset has to have no actual clear discernible rulings and requires a committee of GMs to rule on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Arquinsiel posted:

He seems like a dedicated luddite really. Got some great ideas, but very much wishes it were the 30's.

Did his series of swing dance videos give it away?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Indolent Bastard posted:

Did his series of swing dance videos give it away?
Actually for me it was his video about his new camera and how the software for it was not fifteen years old and thus poo poo.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Arquinsiel posted:

Actually for me it was his video about his new camera and how the software for it was not fifteen years old and thus poo poo.

Link please.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm not sure which one it was in. Somewhere a few months back when he had a long gap in video uploading and he was explaining it as that. A quick scan of his stuff doesn't ring any bells though.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So...I'm taking the mold lines off the Plastic Soldier Company guys...how anal are people about taking them off? I assume the lines on the top of the bases get covered up pretty well but I'm halfway through the 220+ men I have and I'm worried the lines will show up easily.

Also I'm planning to base them with PVA, very fine sand and 2mm static grass, with 2mm tufts on some of the bases. Is that a solid plan?

I'm still a bit boggled on how many to put on each base because there's a mix of SMG and M1, like the poster above, but since I don't know what system we'll be using yet I'm hesitant to just pick one system.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well, I resolved it by deciding to just put on whatever the gently caress works within the rules.

As far as mold lines, if you drybrush at all, you'll want them to be as gone as possible.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Serotonin posted:

This. Plus the ruleset has to have no actual clear discernible rulings and requires a committee of GMs to rule on

I'm going to take some bullets for serotonin here.

Hello trad games. I am a grognard. I think bolt action is silly because there are WAY too few loaders for all medium and heavy weaponry, it has on-table heavy artillery (whyyyyy?) and squads are not equipped historically. End of grog-out.

Our chain of command (:smug:) campaign is about to start. Basically it is barbarossa and everyone gets to lead a russian or german platoon. Then we play a bunch of games kind of similar to the old pc classic series Close Combat, but we switch around platoons depending on which players turn up. Then we'll probably end it with a Big Chain of Command game, with 2-3 plutoons per side.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 23, 2014

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

So...I'm taking the mold lines off the Plastic Soldier Company guys...how anal are people about taking them off? I assume the lines on the top of the bases get covered up pretty well but I'm halfway through the 220+ men I have and I'm worried the lines will show up easily.

Also I'm planning to base them with PVA, very fine sand and 2mm static grass, with 2mm tufts on some of the bases. Is that a solid plan?

Mold lines on helmets are pretty important because they'll stand out. I'm usually not that anal about them on arms or trousers, as that'll most often be mistaken for folds in the uniform at 15mm scale. It kind of depends if I have to do 100 guys for a Napoleonic division or just a single platoon for FoW.

Regarding basing, that sounds like a solid plan. I've recently started to favour putting as much different poo poo on the base as possible. I use static grass and at least 3 different colours and sizes of tufts. It gives the bases a more natural, wild look imo. Of course, this is for larger bases for FoW, where there is quite a bit of room for decorating. They'll end up a bit bare and sparse if you don't put enough poo poo on there.

A bit like this:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

I'm going to take some bullets for serotonin here.

Hello trad games. I am a grognard. I think bolt action is silly because there are WAY too few loaders for all medium and heavy weaponry, it has on-table heavy artillery (whyyyyy?) and squads are not equipped historically. End of grog-out.

Our chain of command (:smug:) campaign is about to start. Basically it is barbarossa and everyone gets to lead a russian or german platoon. Then we play a bunch of games kind of similar to the old pc classic series Close Combat, but we switch around platoons depending on which players turn up. Then we'll probably end it with a Big Chain of Command game, with 2-3 plutoons per side.

Yay.

That reminds me of an early forray into WW2 when we tried Rapid Fire in the late 1990s. We all went away and made some lists to play a big battle. I tried (although not very well) to come up with what seemed a realistic (to my understanding at the time) British Army force. My friend turned up with a force that was entirely Panthers and King Tigers, and trucks full of German infantry with flamethrowers. Like 100 of them.

Funnily enough Im teaching that same mate Chain of Command next weekend!

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 23, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well, I resolved it by deciding to just put on whatever the gently caress works within the rules.
...that's not really helpful, but thanks anyway. I did say I don't know what ruleset we'll be playing :)

quote:

As far as mold lines, if you drybrush at all, you'll want them to be as gone as possible.
Bit more helpful!

I've managed to find a copy of FoW but haven't been able to read through enough of it yet to get to where they tell you what fits on what base, but since there's Chain of Command that sounds pretty cool, and Blitzkrieg Commander, I'm just a bit lost at the moment and don't have time to look up everything on other forums or whatever. Sorry if it's a bit annoying!

TheBlobThing posted:

Mold lines on helmets are pretty important because they'll stand out. I'm usually not that anal about them on arms or trousers, as that'll most often be mistaken for folds in the uniform at 15mm scale. It kind of depends if I have to do 100 guys for a Napoleonic division or just a single platoon for FoW.

Regarding basing, that sounds like a solid plan. I've recently started to favour putting as much different poo poo on the base as possible. I use static grass and at least 3 different colours and sizes of tufts. It gives the bases a more natural, wild look imo. Of course, this is for larger bases for FoW, where there is quite a bit of room for decorating. They'll end up a bit bare and sparse if you don't put enough poo poo on there.

A bit like this:

Great stuff, thanks very much! I've got 2 boxes of US infantry from Plastic Soldier Company, so 175 normal infantry and I think about 125 heavy weapons infantry. Going through each of them with a needle file is just massively tedious but most of them are done now.

e: OK, according to this site for Chain of Command "If you like WW2 skirmish games give it a shot and don’t worry too much about scale and basing. Basing really doesn’t matter that much so just go with what you have or your preference."

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 23, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

krushgroove posted:

I've managed to find a copy of FoW but haven't been able to read through enough of it yet to get to where they tell you what fits on what base,
That's in the army lists really, not so much the main rules. Rule of thumb though:

Ignore NCOs. If everyone has rifles, it's a rifle team. If SMGs that's a SMG team. If Carbines, Carbine team. If everyone has rifles but half the teams in a platoon have one MG, that's a Rifle/MG team. If everyone has rifles and every team has a MG that's a MG team. If everyone has SMGs that's a SMG team.

Basically just find the army list and compare the pictures.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Arquinsiel posted:

Basically just find the army list and compare the pictures.

OK, great stuff, I found an army list as well (not sure what list/setting we'll be using yet but it's a start) so I'll start with that. The FoW site has some basing tutorials that help visualize things which is really helpful too. I also did an edit to my last post above as you were posting, apparently the basing doesn't matter in Chain of Command. Looks like I'll just go with FoW basing and we'll work around things from there, Blitzkrieg Commander and Chain of Command seem to be pretty easy on the basing requirements.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH with any multi-model bases if they're the right size or at least a consistent size then it doesn't actually matter what's on it. All of my Germans have MG42s in basically every team, because why not?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

krushgroove posted:

OK, great stuff, I found an army list as well (not sure what list/setting we'll be using yet but it's a start) so I'll start with that. The FoW site has some basing tutorials that help visualize things which is really helpful too. I also did an edit to my last post above as you were posting, apparently the basing doesn't matter in Chain of Command. Looks like I'll just go with FoW basing and we'll work around things from there, Blitzkrieg Commander and Chain of Command seem to be pretty easy on the basing requirements.

Battlefront tries to design infantry platoons so that all units of a particular base size are the same kind of infantry, but there are a few exceptions. That's the reason you see the rifle/mg team rather than an mg team and a rifle team.

It does not matter one iota how many men are on an infantry base, so if you want to skimp, go to 3-4 men on a base rather than 4-5 like BF does.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Serotonin posted:

That reminds me of an early forray into WW2 when we tried Rapid Fire in the late 1990s. We all went away and made some lists to play a big battle. I tried (although not very well) to come up with what seemed a realistic (to my understanding at the time) British Army force. My friend turned up with a force that was entirely Panthers and King Tigers, and trucks full of German infantry with flamethrowers. Like 100 of them.

So his entire force broke down and caught on fire before you finished deployment? :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Arquinsiel posted:

TBH with any multi-model bases if they're the right size or at least a consistent size then it doesn't actually matter what's on it.

Panzeh posted:

It does not matter one iota how many men are on an infantry base, so if you want to skimp, go to 3-4 men on a base rather than 4-5 like BF does.

Alright, cool, this gives me a lot more confidence when I get around to gluing the guys on bases. I just wanted to be sure that if I ever went to a club I wouldn't get much poo poo for not having the 'correct' number of models on a base, it's bad enough I may have to worry about rivet-counters :)

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Indolent Bastard posted:

As the scenery in the vids is mostly historic I thought I'd post here.

Lindy Beige: Making scenery for wargames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_qDkJFFNtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VTTUyXOIAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOYotmflDzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl9PUJfRJTg

Some of his techniques seem downright quaint compared to what some people do for scale model stuff; but I think there is good info to be found.

Ahh god this guy's videos are amazing. Love the intros, lol

edit: All dis Chain of Command talk. Is there a place to order it in real book form in the US of A? I'm a Bolt Action guy but I like reading other rulesets sometimes

muggins fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 26, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
New one up just today. I find it interesting how he seems to suggest you don't do things a lot when he clearly is intending for you to actually do these things. Oh those English :allears:

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
So I've started that 15mm Bolt Action/Chain of Command project I was mulling over. Here's the first squad of Germans with a 28mm figure for the sake of comparison.

Some Commonwealth troops with a Staghound are next up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looks awesome.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Dirt Worshipper posted:

So I've started that 15mm Bolt Action/Chain of Command project I was mulling over. Here's the first squad of Germans with a 28mm figure for the sake of comparison.

This looks pretty sweet. Keep them coming.

WIP on my Newline Designs 20mm General Picton for Waterloo.

Pretty terrible detail on the model, but it painted up pretty nicely. I'm awful at painting horses though.
Also, the primer gunked up a bit on the back of the model, but it only really shows on the umbrella. At that size, who'll notice? Right? Right?

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 3, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Keep the 28mm figure in the squad, write a Return to Castle Wolfenstein scenario :getin:

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

TheBlobThing posted:

This looks pretty sweet. Keep them coming.

I've finally had a little painting time so I got some progress done on the Brits. I'm pretty unhappy with the staghound so far, I need to brighten it up and pick out more detail. The squad needs one more man in the rifle team to be ready to go for Chain of Command. In the queue for these brits are two more rifle squads to round out the platoon and a piat team.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I've finally had a little painting time so I got some progress done on the Brits. I'm pretty unhappy with the staghound so far, I need to brighten it up and pick out more detail. The squad needs one more man in the rifle team to be ready to go for Chain of Command. In the queue for these brits are two more rifle squads to round out the platoon and a piat team.

You've made me strongly consider basing up my spare FoW German platoon singly so I can play other games at 15mm with them and have a legit reason to expand my terrain collection.

Which is irritating, because I already have fucktons of 20mm mans for that purpose :argh:

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Thanks! I'm really excited to play the ruleset using these guys, I should have platoons and AFV's done for both sides by the time my buddy and I get together next in November. Does anyone have any recommendations for what German vehicles would be fun to have around for CoC support options? The British are going to have the option of having Staghound, Churchill and some different types of universal carriers.

E: Anyone who feels like selling their loose FoW mans I'm interested evan.bale@gmail.com. This probably isn't the thread for purchases though.

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 4, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You might be interested to know that Zvezda $5 snap-together kits now come in British!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Thanks! I'm really excited to play the ruleset using these guys, I should have platoons and AFV's done for both sides by the time my buddy and I get together next in November. Does anyone have any recommendations for what German vehicles would be fun to have around for CoC support options? The British are going to have the option of having Staghound, Churchill and some different types of universal carriers.

E: Anyone who feels like selling their loose FoW mans I'm interested evan.bale@gmail.com. This probably isn't the thread for purchases though.

We're playing with the 1941 barbarossa lists, but right now we're sticking to armoured cars (a 222 and a 231) and a panzer II. I feel that you can wait with bringing in heavier stuff until you start to get used to moving the infantry around. I'm going to add some heavier panzer later, when we start to get into bigger battles, but three infantry squads and an extra machine gun can be an interesting game in itself in CoC.

So my advice is to get some of the cheaper vehicles for whatever army you use. If there's anything on support list four, you're much more likely to be able to squeeze it in.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

That makes a lot of sense. I'll look into some varieties of hanomags and maybe a Luchs. Thanks!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A friend recently picked up a game called Red Sand, Blue Sky and we've played a few simple games using counters and like it. We're not decided on committing to minis yet, but hey, why not look into it. What're some good sources of Roman Gladiator minis? The usual stuff like Murmillos, Secutors, Retiarius, etc etc. Its a skirmish game (obviously) so 15-28mm seems like the best choice. Did some looking already and saw a few good 28mm sources (Crusader and Wargames Foundry), but not much 15mm.

Either way my friend seems to want to replicate these ideas. And they do seem pretty cool and good for transportation.

I'm personally leaning towards 28m, mostly because holy poo poo, these two! :swoon:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 5, 2014

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A friend recently picked up a game called Red Sand, Blue Sky and we've played a few simple games using counters and like it. We're not decided on committing to minis yet, but hey, why not look into it. What're some good sources of Roman Gladiator minis? The usual stuff like Murmillos, Secutors, Retiarius, etc etc. Its a skirmish game (obviously) so 15-28mm seems like the best choice. Did some looking already and saw a few good 28mm sources (Crusader and Wargames Foundry), but not much 15mm.

Either way my friend seems to want to replicate these ideas. And they do seem pretty cool and good for transportation.

I'm personally leaning towards 28m, mostly because holy poo poo, these two! :swoon:

Pretty sure if you search my posts I've posted some stuff about RSBS including minis that are available. Fun little system.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Back when I considered painting up some gladiators I think I was going to go with these: http://www.crusaderminiatures.com/list.php?cat=1&sub=27&page=1

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm on top of using PSC and Zvezda for the more common British 15mm tanks, and Forged in Battle for some slightly rarer ones, but I found these when I was searching for alternatives to the kinda pricey A9, A10 and A13, and the Rolls Royce, Morris and Marmon-Herrington armoured cars that Battlefront makes. Paying $5 USD a tank for things that aren't hateful metal lumps seems great, but I dunno, some of those tanks just look... wrong. Is anyone familiar with them?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 5, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Pegasus and Italeri make some good ones in 1/72 scale if you don't want to drop a lot of money. Italeri gives you ten guys, a lion, bear and a chariot and Pegasus gives you 35 guys in a large amount of poses. The Pegasus ones are some of the nicest 1/72 figures I've ever handled and are honestly nicer than a lot of the 28mm options on the market. The Italeri figs are also very nice but some of the poses aren't very dynamic but the detail is very crisp.

The Pegasus ones are ten dollars: http://pegasushobbies.net/catalog/p143/%237100-1/72-Gladiators/product_info.html
The Italeri are 15 but come with the chariot and animals: http://www.amazon.com/Gladiators-Horses-Lions-Chariot-Italeri/dp/B000BMX7IE

Strelets and Linear do some civilian miniatures as well if you want some peasants or christians but they are much lower quality.

Edit: Good reviews for both sets with good pictures:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1258
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=719

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

You'd also be able to make an arena that doesn't take up a ton of room to store if you go with 1/72.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

lilljonas posted:

You'd also be able to make an arena that doesn't take up a ton of room to store if you go with 1/72.

Someone from BGG is playing the game in 1/72 and has these amazing pics of the Italeri minis:
http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic323382_lg.jpg
http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic323383_lg.jpg

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. So far I'm leaning towards the Crusader Minis line, but I'll have to see if we even want to get minis first. My friend is notoriously "Flavor of the month"ish with his wargames. Then again, the nice thing about gladiators is a modest collection means you've basically got all you need for pick up and play games. Modestly cheap too, a basic set of the Crusader minis with all the 10 types represented in RSBS will run about $50-60 including shipping from Age of Glory, which is about $15 cheaper than from Crusader directly, thanks to +25% US shipping costs.

The downside is they don't have Maximus, I guess since he is a single mini. :smith: I could order just him from Crusader, but he's only £3 and their shipping minimum is £5 for the US.

lilljonas posted:

As for storage, another nice thing about Red Sand, Blue Sky is that the movement and stuff is simplified into a very basic grid system. Here is a small size arena and a larger amphitheater style one. Square shaped arenas are perfectly doable as well, of course.

There is only a max of 3 combatants per square, so as long as the minis fit comfortably inside the squares, it can be drawn pretty small. Say large cookie tin sized, like this. Plus you can put the minis in foam inside the Arena tin for transport/storage!

[edit] Oh, and Serotonin, I checked your posts in this thread. You mentioned RSBS a couple times, but I didn't see anything about minis. Nice Saga Warbands though. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 5, 2014

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We started on our first Chain of Command campaign today. It's Barbarossa 1941 and some real historical counter-attack against the German approach of Bryansk, so we have correct maps from Google earth and OOBs and everything. Basically we have a company on each side, with each player commanding a platoon, and we follow the official CoC campaign set for casualties and such. The campaign will be short (max 12 games) and cover the fighting over a small village, with both sides being tasked with moving into the village and push out the opposing side.

We started out with a bang, with a four player Big Chain of Command game. Unfortunately I had to relinquish my command to my co-player after just two rounds since we got started too late in the evening. But it was even more tense when every casualty has the potential to carry over, and I think it makes CoC shine even more as every single decision was pure anguish. We're already adding all kinds of experimental rules to the official campaign rules, and if anyone is interested I could write them up after the trial campaign has shown which ones were decent ideas and which ones were crap.

Campaign starts up with a patrol battle, as the Soviet counter-attack meets German reconnaissance troops in a small village north-west of Bryansk. The winner will be on the offense in the next battle, and if you gather enough victories you can make a final push against an objective and win the campaign. Old German and Soviet maps from the war shows that the village looked almost the same as it does on modern Google Earth maps, so it's surprisingly easy to make several campaign maps of the village as both sides pushes back and forth along the main road. We'll need to make a ton more fields if anyone wins a few more games though, as they'll be pushing their opponent out of the actual village.

Soviets pushing in heavily in the woods in the center.

German rifle team and a lone mortar sneaking up among the peasants's houses, only to be doused by a Soviet flamethrower team.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 5, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Actual maps? That's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

NTRabbit posted:

I'm on top of using PSC and Zvezda for the more common British 15mm tanks, and Forged in Battle for some slightly rarer ones, but I found these when I was searching for alternatives to the kinda pricey A9, A10 and A13, and the Rolls Royce, Morris and Marmon-Herrington armoured cars that Battlefront makes. Paying $5 USD a tank for things that aren't hateful metal lumps seems great, but I dunno, some of those tanks just look... wrong. Is anyone familiar with them?

I don't have personal experience with them but I seem to remember that the guys at WWPD.net have used them before. I think their take was that they are okay models and decent if you want to get stuff on the table and aren't going to try and detail things too much. You might try sampling them since they're only $5 each.