Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

JustJeff88 posted:

Isn't Shandalar kind of "rigged" to be artificially difficult since he is a (somewhat) plot-important NPC who isn't really meant to be killed? I remember reading something about that, but I can't recall any details.

By the by, Keldorn's dispel magic would be irrelevant against Shandalar as he is BG1 and Keldorn is only in BG2. If you have a hand-made Inquisitor character, though, that would be an idea. Still, he'd be at best about level 8 against Shandalar and even doubled you're going to be fighting an uphill battle to make that dispel stick.

At a minimum, Shandalar is scripted for his spells to be uninterruptible and then to teleport out once he's cast them all. I don't know if he's immune to dispel magic or just really high level, but in either case if his script kicks in and his protections go up you're probably screwed. Even if you strip the protections you're not likely to kill him before he teleports.

Long story short, if you want to kill Shandalar just hit him with the wand of paralysis before returning his cloak. Then you can kill him without having to deal with his script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I beat Baldur's Gate. My opinion of it really changed since I last played it. Enhanced Edition is pretty good but I do miss the cheesy old tyme 3D cutscenes rather than the still image stuff in Enhanced Edition. Some of the old sound effects were missing too (I micro manage my inventory a lot so a variety of sound effects goes a long way to alleviate the tedium) and I liked the old paper dolls better. But for the game itself when I first played it I was used to the more focused and story-based game of Baldur's Gate 2, since I played that one first, and wasn't expect the first one to be more exploration and adventure based. Both are fun and 2 does trim a lot of the fat but I liked the idea of adventuring about and getting to the bottom of the Iron Crisis. It is a far more interesting and intriguing plot than Irenicus's. How it all comes together at the end is fantastic, it's just a shame Sarevok isn't as involved in the storyline as Irenicus is in the second game.

Moved on to 2 now. I imported the save and all my 200k gold and super great items are gone! I'm tempted to restart to pause the game and unequip it before the script kicks in. Probably not but when I found out that you could do that I got a good laugh.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Moved on to 2 now. I imported the save and all my 200k gold and super great items are gone! I'm tempted to restart to pause the game and unequip it before the script kicks in. Probably not but when I found out that you could do that I got a good laugh.

Pretty sure they fixed that in EE. Also didn't EE use the original BG1 paper dolls, even in 2?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

netcat posted:

Pretty sure they fixed that in EE. Also didn't EE use the original BG1 paper dolls, even in 2?

they used the 1pp paperdolls (and most of 1pp graphics for everything) which were altered versions of the original bg1 paper dolls.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What determines which items show up when you Import your save from Baldur's Gate to Baldur's Gate 2? Do they need to be on your character when you import or is it just random? It's no big deal but I was kind of hoping for that +2 Warhammer from the first game instead of the Sword of Chao you get from the djinn.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jimbot posted:

I beat Baldur's Gate. My opinion of it really changed since I last played it. Enhanced Edition is pretty good but I do miss the cheesy old tyme 3D cutscenes rather than the still image stuff in Enhanced Edition. Some of the old sound effects were missing too (I micro manage my inventory a lot so a variety of sound effects goes a long way to alleviate the tedium) and I liked the old paper dolls better. But for the game itself when I first played it I was used to the more focused and story-based game of Baldur's Gate 2, since I played that one first, and wasn't expect the first one to be more exploration and adventure based. Both are fun and 2 does trim a lot of the fat but I liked the idea of adventuring about and getting to the bottom of the Iron Crisis. It is a far more interesting and intriguing plot than Irenicus's. How it all comes together at the end is fantastic, it's just a shame Sarevok isn't as involved in the storyline as Irenicus is in the second game.

You will very quickly get much better items. I think the main reason they even bothered was for narrative sense and so the intro dungeon isn't a complete cake walk.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Here's a list of stuff that gets imported with you from BG1.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is the Plate of Balduran any good? Since I'm unoriginal as soon as I got an ankheg shell I made armor out of it and it serves me well because of its low AC score and being able to wear a Protection accessory with it. I saw the one vendor selling that nice looking armor piece at the Adventure Market and it piqued my interest.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I never end up buying it, just because it's so hilariously expensive that by the time I'd have the money for it something better will have dropped already.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Are there any good rebalancing/custom kit mods that work with EE?

edit: Also is there a way to improve cleric healing? It seems like most of the healing spells heal for next to nothing. There are a few exceptions (group heal and that spell that heals a character completely) but it seems like it's better to just carry extra potions than to use a cleric for healing.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 22, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Are there any good rebalancing/custom kit mods that work with EE?

edit: Also is there a way to improve cleric healing? It seems like most of the healing spells heal for next to nothing. There are a few exceptions (group heal and that spell that heals a character completely) but it seems like it's better to just carry extra potions than to use a cleric for healing.

Cleric healing is convenient at best and useless at worst. Mass Cure and Heal are the only combat usable healing spells as you have already pointed out. Potions and Rod of Resurrection are the only healing you will really ever need.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

DeathChicken posted:

I never end up buying it, just because it's so hilariously expensive that by the time I'd have the money for it something better will have dropped already.
Agreed. I think it is a pretty good suit of armor but its price is quite high. It is a +2 armor, meaning it gives you the same protection as a regular full plate and a +2 ring of protection without occupying a ring slot. And metal full plate armor has an additional -3 armor class bonus against piercing while Ankheg plate gives an extra -1. So I would consider it a better option if one has the money to burn.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I usually just sat on the one Ankheg set you get for free in a hidden stash and equipped everyone else with whatever dropped. You only really need 1 plate supertank on your frontlines.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

a medical mystery posted:

I usually just sat on the one Ankheg set you get for free in a hidden stash and equipped everyone else with whatever dropped. You only really need 1 plate supertank on your frontlines.
In that case, fair enough. Personally I like to have 4 tanks in my party (e.g. Keldorn, Minsc, Ajantis, Mazzy) as I'm lazy and find it easier to just melee things to death rather tham bother with spells. For this party setup having plenty of suits of full plate is good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can someone explain HP per level up? I know it's calculated by a dice roll then whatever modifier it gets from your Constitution. Around when I asked my question about Paladins and Clerics I decided to say the heck with it and restarted Baldur's Gate with A dwarf Fighter/Cleric. Instead of spending hours trying to get a good ability score mod I just use EE Keeper to give myself stats I liked and kept the count at 90. So I gave myself the maximum strength, con and wisdom a dwarf can get. That includes 19 Constitution because of the +1 they get to it. So by the game's end I had 20 constitution because of the books you got throughout the game. So my the Fighter class just leveled up and when I checked how much HP I got I only got 1. Shouldn't I be getting more than that? Does the level up screen not show the calculated constitution bonus? Is it a bug?

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I think that screen only shows your +hitpoint roll, so 1 makes sense.

In reality you got 1 (result of a die roll) + your CON bonus.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
So, is there any way to run BG2 EE in multiplayer without cutscene crashes or is that a dream?

edit: any tips on running multiplayer BG would be greatly appreciated!

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 23, 2014

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm running through IWD with a party of 3. Monk, Sorcerer and Rogue. My theory is (Hope I'm not wrong here...) that the XP split between 3 instead of 6 should mean everybody levels twice as fast and high level Sorcerers and Monks are pretty loving powerful. I gave my Sorc a point in longsword because early on she'll need to hit things. Also IWD tends to like throwing a large number of enemies at you, so it stops her from getting mobbed and being useless.

Any suggestions?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Captain Gordon posted:

I think that screen only shows your +hitpoint roll, so 1 makes sense.

In reality you got 1 (result of a die roll) + your CON bonus.

I just leveled up to see if this was the case. it is not. I only got the 1 HP. If that's the way it is then no big deal, I'm just confused on the matter since I thought I'd be getting more HP. I did a search and trying to parse all the math is like learning math all over again. You're supposed to get half of the HP bonus since it's a multiclass and it splits it between the two. Even if that's the case I should be getting more than 1 HP. This poo poo is confusing.

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'm running through IWD with a party of 3. Monk, Sorcerer and Rogue. My theory is (Hope I'm not wrong here...) that the XP split between 3 instead of 6 should mean everybody levels twice as fast and high level Sorcerers and Monks are pretty loving powerful. I gave my Sorc a point in longsword because early on she'll need to hit things. Also IWD tends to like throwing a large number of enemies at you, so it stops her from getting mobbed and being useless.

Any suggestions?

Sleep, my man. Turns groups of enemies into stationary targets you cannot miss. Not useful later on but by that time you already have Fireball or Skulltrap or some other death spell that you don't even need to crowd control the enemies since they'll already be dead.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

Sleep, my man. Turns groups of enemies into stationary targets you cannot miss. Not useful later on but by that time you already have Fireball or Skulltrap or some other death spell that you don't even need to crowd control the enemies since they'll already be dead.

Yup. Working on that. Shaengarne is being a dick though because sleep doesn't work on Orc Warriors. Also, holy crap there's a lot of them.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I just leveled up to see if this was the case. it is not. I only got the 1 HP. If that's the way it is then no big deal, I'm just confused on the matter since I thought I'd be getting more HP. I did a search and trying to parse all the math is like learning math all over again. You're supposed to get half of the HP bonus since it's a multiclass and it splits it between the two. Even if that's the case I should be getting more than 1 HP. This poo poo is confusing.

Which class leveled up and to which level? After a certain point (after level 9 for fighters and clerics), you get a set number of HP per level, and that amount isn't affected by CON. If this was a cleric levelup, and it was level 10 or higher, you're only going to get 1 HP for a multi-classed character, such as your dwarven F/C. The fighter levelups will be 2 hp. (Single class clerics get 2 HP per level after 'name level', and single class fighters get 3. Full HP for every single level wasn't introduced until 3E.)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh, ok. Yeah it was Fighter level 10. Well, that explains that.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Someone tell me they're still working on BG2EE. I never had an issue with the pathfinding in BGEE but it's really bad in BG2. There are also some daily powers that don't have any tooltips, like Mazzy's "courage" ability.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Any suggestions?

Since you're running with a monk, sorcerer, and rogue I'm assuming you're playing IWD2. Unfortunately the way the level scaling works means you'll only have a level or two advantage over a full 6 man party.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Someone tell me they're still working on BG2EE.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34701/when-is-the-bg2ee-1-3-patch-coming-out#latest

quote:

Officially there's no date planned, but we're wrapping things up. As soon as we have a stable build we'll make a beta version available. Pre-Christmas does seem realistic at this point, but we won't release the patch until we're sure it's solid.

Translated from Beamdogese: You might see BG2EE 1.3 some time around August 2015.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Glitterdust is my favorite spell in the game. I forgot about Beholders and how they shoot a constant stream of bullshit at you forever. It's especially bad since I never had to fight them under the Temple District before, so having that spell is a godsend. Are they as bullshit on desktop at they in this game? At least you can loving dodge Mindflayer intelligence draining attacks and save against their spells. Beholders just overwhelm you with bullshit something always sneaks by.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

MegaGatts posted:

Since you're running with a monk, sorcerer, and rogue I'm assuming you're playing IWD2. Unfortunately the way the level scaling works means you'll only have a level or two advantage over a full 6 man party.

Yeah IWD2 sorry. I never played IWD1 so it's my association more than anything else ><

How does the XP work in IWD2?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jimbot posted:

Glitterdust is my favorite spell in the game. I forgot about Beholders and how they shoot a constant stream of bullshit at you forever. It's especially bad since I never had to fight them under the Temple District before, so having that spell is a godsend. Are they as bullshit on desktop at they in this game? At least you can loving dodge Mindflayer intelligence draining attacks and save against their spells. Beholders just overwhelm you with bullshit something always sneaks by.

*Cough cough* Shield of Balduran from the weird lady in Adventurer's Mart*cough cough*

Hammer Floyd posted:

Yeah IWD2 sorry. I never played IWD1 so it's my association more than anything else ><

How does the XP work in IWD2?

XP gains (from combat at least, I don't know if quest xp works the same or not) are tied to average party level regardless of party size, so smaller parties will advance faster for a bit, but as they out level the opponents more than a 6 person party would, they start getting less experience from combat until it evens out again.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I wish I could just replace my 5 teammates with beholders.

Irenicus: Your pathetic magicks are worthle.. oh poo poo..

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Beholders are awesome, I wish we could have one as a party member/summonable, especially the one in the sahuagin city, a pretty chill dude.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

Beholders are awesome, I wish we could have one as a party member/summonable, especially the one in the sahuagin city, a pretty chill dude.

One of the cheat keys will force any creature to join your party. They won't level up and I dont know if you can use all their abilities, but technically you can get him in the party.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If they join your party wouldn't you be able to modify them in eekeeper?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I wish I could just replace my 5 teammates with beholders.

Irenicus: Your pathetic magicks are worthle.. oh poo poo..

Angry Lobster posted:

Ctrl-q all day every day.

...I think I'm gonna do a run with the bhaalspawn as a beholder now. It's gonna be amazing.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Ctrl-q all day every day.

...I think I'm gonna do a run with the bhaalspawn as a beholder now. It's gonna be amazing.

lol holy poo poo. I could just imagine Gorion finding a baby beholder and raising him as his own. :)

edit: It would be neat if the beastmaster class could tame monsters in the game. Instead of just getting Animal Summoning 3 and Find Familiar. :ugh:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The thief guildhall stronghold is a pretty neat. I unlocked all of them using the tweak pack and this one and the Bard's are pretty enjoyable. I've experienced the Fighter and Paladin ones in the past and they don't really stack up to those two. Is there a happy medium while issuing orders to the thieves? I set them to all low risk for the first week.

It makes me look forward to the Stronghold stuff in Pillars of Eternity. Strongholds only get better as these games went on but they never really reached that sweet spot of seeing the changes you made affect the world. Dragon Age Inquisition's look pretty rad but I'm dubious about that game, to say the least.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition updated for me again with a small 37 Mb patch.

Apparently it's some kind of hook for the Mac version of the game to work with Steam.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Angry Lobster posted:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
About to start a new game of BG1 HD. Was thinking of doing a Lawful Neutral Monk run. Any recommendations on what to be on the look out for?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Kortel posted:

About to start a new game of BG1 HD. Was thinking of doing a Lawful Neutral Monk run. Any recommendations on what to be on the look out for?

Dying during every encounter. Monks are really hard to play in BG1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I generally just set the Thieves to low to begin, then if the guy comes back with "Blah Blah could handle more of a challenge" then move them up a peg.