Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

My local Xerox rep/distributor owns and I can't get my clients to switch to them fast enough

I've been pretty happy with our Xerox. Saved us like 2k a year too from our Pitney Bowes rental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

gently caress HP fusers in particular, when they cost $200 and randomly stop working for no apparent reason. Also they're counted as consumables and not covered by the extended warranty. gently caress HP.

HP has nothing on recent Brother models...

Any newer Brother printer that uses the DR720 drums and TN720/750/780 toners has a fuser that will last at most 5,000 pages if you are lucky. The pressure roller in the fuser will start getting very large wrinkles and folds in it leading to the printer wrinkling and even partially folding paper as it passes through the fuser. To top it off, the refurb warranty replacement units Brother sends are even worse. We had many instances where a single toner cartridge would outlast the fuser in a replacement printer.

Brother refuses to acknowledge there is a problem. Getting a warranty replacement from them requires going through their entire tech support script for each and every printer to be replaced even though the problem is exactly the same.

We don't even bother to warranty them anymore. When the fuser does go, the printer gets pitched and replaced with a different manufacturer.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zhiwau posted:

I loving hate printers. A coworker came in and vented (because it's my fault apparently) that she is going to throw one of the printers out of the window. I offered to help her because it's quite heavy. She wasn't amused unfortunately.

This made me chuckle. Great response.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

m.hache posted:

I've been pretty happy with our Xerox. Saved us like 2k a year too from our Pitney Bowes rental.

My last job had a DP90 printer that would break down at least monthly. Once, when we called Xerox to get a technician out (we ran scheduled check printing jobs on this device and it HAD to be fixed as soon as it broke down so those jobs would be done by morning), we got through the phone menu to be greeted by snoring. Somehow, the Xerox tech we'd been routed to was asleep, but the phone still picked up.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

This is disheartening, they were really great just a few years ago.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

go3 posted:

My local Xerox rep/distributor owns and I can't get my clients to switch to them fast enough

In the San Francisco area, absolutely go with Xerox. I still bring in a bunch of salespeople armed with sample files I had sent them, but Xerox wins on price, quality and features. They even don't push back too hard when you start demanding a replacement unit.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

m.hache posted:

We have a Pitney Bowes postage meter.

It can burn with the printers.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

What is fun is explaining to people what the 88 means, then the follow up question of why you know that.

There's something wrong with loving my '58 Olds? :ohdear:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

There's something wrong with loving my '58 Olds? :ohdear:

That hideous thing looks like Andy Kaufman in Heartbeeps.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

mllaneza posted:

In the San Francisco area, absolutely go with Xerox. I still bring in a bunch of salespeople armed with sample files I had sent them, but Xerox wins on price, quality and features. They even don't push back too hard when you start demanding a replacement unit.

I'm the tech guy that was snoring on the phone. Demanding a replacement gets a certain amount of pushback, but only because there are so many incompetent end users. I had a ticket last week that simply said "scan to email" and the end user was demanding a replacement device because her machine "never worked". She wasn't putting an @ symbol in the address she was trying to email.

I did some digging on that machine, the only ticket that was the machines' fault was at one point the fuser had died. I had replaced it within an hour of getting the ticket.

Sometimes the users are worse than the printers.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We have a support contract with Xerox, and it's either great of awful depending on the day. Sometimes I'll tell them the problem, the steps I did to troubleshoot, and they book a tech. Usually, like the most recent call, 4 different front line guys sent me the same documents (that weren't even relevant to the issue) and were 100% sure the problem would be solved, so no tech visit required. I followed the steps anyways, and lo and behold, the problem persisted.

I can understand why phone support people assume their customers are drooling neanderthals, but I wish I could bypass the idiot filter and talk to someone who understands.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oyster posted:

I'm the tech guy that was snoring on the phone. Demanding a replacement gets a certain amount of pushback, but only because there are so many incompetent end users. I had a ticket last week that simply said "scan to email" and the end user was demanding a replacement device because her machine "never worked". She wasn't putting an @ symbol in the address she was trying to email.

I did some digging on that machine, the only ticket that was the machines' fault was at one point the fuser had died. I had replaced it within an hour of getting the ticket.

Sometimes the users are worse than the printers.

Our issue was with persistent print quality issues on heavily saturated areas, for an advertising agency it was a problem. The new unit printed our samples perfectly as soon as it was plugged it.

We did have plenty of idiot users, lucky for Xerox, I had to be the filter.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We have a problem with our HP 6040MFPs that heavily saturated areas will clog the fuser and cause paper jam. I haven't found a solution to it other than to ask people not to print huge areas of color.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

This is disheartening, they were really great just a few years ago.

Yeah I am not really sure what happened... Previously we used Brother exclusively. There are 20+ older Brother HL5250s and 5370s around the company. Most have 200k+ page counts with no issues. While with the newer models I don't think we've had a single one make it past 15k pages without a major failure.

I've since switched back to HP; using their LaserJet 400/600 Pro models and honestly they are much better. They appear better built, and are much faster than the equivalent Brother models, especially on first page out times.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Xerox 4 LYFE

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

stevewm posted:

Yeah I am not really sure what happened... Previously we used Brother exclusively. There are 20+ older Brother HL5250s and 5370s around the company. Most have 200k+ page counts with no issues. While with the newer models I don't think we've had a single one make it past 15k pages without a major failure.

Quality costs money! Drop the quality but not the price and profit! Says every idiot manager looking for a quick earnings jump ever. This poo poo kills more companies in the long term...

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

A recent Ricoh "Tech" that came to our facility was wearing mismatched shoes. One black shoe, one green shoe.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
We started replacing our MFPs with Canon iR-ADV C5000 series units and they rule, support calls dropped quite a bit. Our onsite printer support guy now has more time to browse PrisonPlanet.com and bitch about black people

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Mr. Clark2 posted:

A recent Ricoh "Tech" that came to our facility was wearing mismatched shoes. One black shoe, one green shoe.

Color / Mono. Makes sense.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Sometimes its cheaper to buy an entire HP maintenance kit than just the fuser. :iiam:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

nielsm posted:

A call came in, "hey that printer ticket my colleague opened earlier? Just close it again, we fixed it." :unsmith:

On one hand, it's nice that a user decided to put their brain in 1st gear for a change, but at the same time statements like this always make my spine tingle. Like, is this "fix" an actual fix or did they use their just-enough-to-be-dangerous knowledge to set up a catastrophe down the line? :ohdear:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

We have a support contract with Xerox, and it's either great of awful depending on the day. Sometimes I'll tell them the problem, the steps I did to troubleshoot, and they book a tech. Usually, like the most recent call, 4 different front line guys sent me the same documents (that weren't even relevant to the issue) and were 100% sure the problem would be solved, so no tech visit required. I followed the steps anyways, and lo and behold, the problem persisted.

I can understand why phone support people assume their customers are drooling neanderthals, but I wish I could bypass the idiot filter and talk to someone who understands.

Good lord this, every time I have a legitimate problem I have to piss about with telephone support when I need a guy to come out and replace a part. Recently we needed the main roller replacing because A3 paper would constantly get creased up, I think it took at least three weeks to get it sorted. Phone support shenanigans involved; set to recycled paper, use a different tray, use different quality paper, restart the machine, send out and install these mini tray rollers yourself without instructions, install a new fuser.

Now recently the beast sounds like it's in dire need of grease/lubricant as it makes a horrific high pitched continuous squeak when printing... :geno:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
~

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 23, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

mllaneza posted:

Ugh man I had a client with an NEC unit that just refused to talk to smtp servers most times. Took 3 months of tinkering by the supplier before they finally gave up and gave them a replacement Oki. I have the date that lease is up on my calendar because that company is going bye bye.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

stevewm posted:

Any newer Brother printer that uses the DR720 drums and TN720/750/780 toners has a fuser that will last at most 5,000 pages if you are lucky. The pressure roller in the fuser will start getting very large wrinkles and folds in it leading to the printer wrinkling and even partially folding paper as it passes through the fuser. To top it off, the refurb warranty replacement units Brother sends are even worse. We had many instances where a single toner cartridge would outlast the fuser in a replacement printer.

Brother refuses to acknowledge there is a problem. Getting a warranty replacement from them requires going through their entire tech support script for each and every printer to be replaced even though the problem is exactly the same.

We don't even bother to warranty them anymore. When the fuser does go, the printer gets pitched and replaced with a different manufacturer.

God dammit. We just bought a bunch of these too.

gently caress printers.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Welp.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Super Slash posted:

Good lord this, every time I have a legitimate problem I have to piss about with telephone support when I need a guy to come out and replace a part. Recently we needed the main roller replacing because A3 paper would constantly get creased up, I think it took at least three weeks to get it sorted. Phone support shenanigans involved; set to recycled paper, use a different tray, use different quality paper, restart the machine, send out and install these mini tray rollers yourself without instructions, install a new fuser.

Now recently the beast sounds like it's in dire need of grease/lubricant as it makes a horrific high pitched continuous squeak when printing... :geno:

I totally understand that. I'm a first line grunt supporting a single account and stationed at the biggest building, so I usually have a response time of within an hour. Sometimes I have to call in the traveling techs for hardcore problems. Some of them call the end user and tell them what to do, then close the ticket without even showing up and I have to resubmit everything. Thankfully we recently switched to an awesome helpdesk that takes care of that for me and will tell the techs that it came from me and I have a semblance of knowledge about these things and they can emphasize that it's a legimate problem.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Honestly if I had to buy a copier (and I work at a multi-brand dealer), my favorites are the Konicas. Easy to network, somewhat durable, and rarely get a call unless it's something dumb like "I CANT SCAN oh by the way I got a new computer and nothing is set up on it".

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

stevewm posted:

We have a client who uses a number of these, they basically treat them as consumables and throw them out on a regular basis. They buy the printer, run two drums through it and then turf it out and buy a new one. I arrived there one day to see a stack of them and asked what the deal was and the manager explained, apparently even with all this waste it still works out the best option for the way they print.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Brothers go in warehouses or other lovely environments

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

go3 posted:

Brothers go in warehouses or other lovely environments

That's a bit racist, it's not the 60s anymore

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, most MFP's (leased machines, not lovely Walmart specials) can do nearly anything and are pretty easy to configure. The big problem is that most techs don't understand the networking side and most IT people are either to busy to read the instructions or to stupid to understand them.
I worked as a regular field tech for a leased company for years and I was amazed every day at how bad most of the IT people I dealt were at basic stuff like SMB, SMTP, print queues(SO BAD at print queues) etc.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 24, 2014

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005
Wouldn't everything look more dull without this message?

Lareous posted:

Honestly if I had to buy a copier (and I work at a multi-brand dealer), my favorites are the Konicas. Easy to network, somewhat durable, and rarely get a call unless it's something dumb like "I CANT SCAN oh by the way I got a new computer and nothing is set up on it".

We have 3 heavy duty Konica Minoltas that are more than 5 years old and I'm actually infatuated with them. Never nad so much as a paper jam with them.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Zhiwau posted:

We have 3 heavy duty Konica Minoltas that are more than 5 years old and I'm actually infatuated with them. Never nad so much as a paper jam with them.
Ssssssh! They'll hear you praising them and start burning everything just to watch you try to douse the flames with your tears. They are printers, after all.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Mrit posted:

Honestly, most MFP's (leased machines, not lovely Walmart specials) can do nearly anything and are pretty easy to configure. The big problem is that most techs don't understand the networking side and most IT people are either to busy to read the instructions or to stupid to understand them.
I worked as a regular field tech for a leased company for years and I was amazed every day at how bad most of the IT people I dealt were at basic stuff like SMB, SMTP, print queues(SO BAD at print queues) etc.

How can you be bad at print queues?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Brut posted:

How can you be bad at print queues?
I don't know about you, but 90% of my frustration with printers isn't the printers themselves, but people not configuring them properly or consistently.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Oh well if you want to call everything you can configure in the printer properties as the queue then ok.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If I could go back and redo any part of my IT career, I'd make sure that I got ink EVERYWHERE the first time I worked on a printer. It'd be good to have people think of you as "Good at everything except printers"

That said, I've always wondered what it's like to work for a printer service company, it's like the proctology of IT.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I've been reasonably happy with Konica-Minolta. Right now I'm pretty drat happy with Ricoh. Got the entire municipality set up with follow-you printing with personal RFID dongles and PINs.

Working like a charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Our main office copiers are Konica Minoltas and they're pretty good, but we have lots of SOHOs spread over a four county area with small, consumer printers and they're all terrible. None of the models within budget support scan to email (and we can't do scan to HD because these are thin clients) and they're horribly unreliable. Most of the mileage we rack up is replacing printers at these sites.
We got a bunch of Epson WF2520s a while back and they're way less poo poo than the various HPs we'd been using, but have one really annoying problem: you can't set the IP address from the printer console. They have a habit of going back to factory settings and picking up a DHCP address so the users can't print and we can't talk them through setting the address back because they don't have the software suite installed on their machines.

• Locked thread