Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Numenera was a kickstarter also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Ratpick posted:

Speaking of Far West, since it was funded, how many other RPGs have been successfully funded and actually seen release? Dungeon World and 13th Age both come to mind.

Seeing as it was funded August 2011, a whole bunch of things. Just from my own list:

• Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack
  • Dungeon World
  • Last Stand
  • Durance
  • Better Angels
  • 13 True Ways
  • Tenra Bansho Zero
  • Tremulus
  • Hillfolk
  • Magicians
  • Fate Core
  • Mummy: the Curse
  • Sorceror (annotated edition)
  • Interface Zero 2.0
  • Ehdrigohr
  • The Spark
  • Eclipse Phase: Transhuman
  • Inverse World
  • Torchbearer
  • Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine
  • Demon: the Descent

Quite a few of which are at least as big a project as Far West.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Has anyone backed this kickstarter from CMON: Micro Art Bases?

They're basically molded terrain pieces that snap into a base so you can paint the terrain and then snap it into the base without having to repaint the rim of your base? There's a few different types of terrain (and some more types to be unlocked as stretch goals) and the kickstarter is only running for two weeks. I'm tempted to back it as an $80 pledge (plus whatever shipping ends up being to Australia) would get me nearly 150 bases which would come in handy for when my Raging Heroes minis eventually turn up but I'm not sure if I'm ready to pull the trigger yet.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ They aren't bad bases (they have been in the buisness a while!) but I'm a secret weapon whore.

Ettin posted:

Fate is pretty GM-friendly, Fate Accelerated especially so! Breakfast Cult introduces some extra mechanics but they shouldn't make it harder.

Breakfast Cult is a mystery setting so the book is intentionally GM-friendly to help you get into it. Ideally you'll be able to open the book, grab a bunch of NPCs/monsters/etc. out of it and put together an adventure without much fuss.

Thanks! I think I'll give it a go! That podcast will make a great distraction at work.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

LordAba posted:

Thanks! I think I'll give it a go! That podcast will make a great distraction at work.

Breakfast Cult has 3 days to go and we're close to the 11k stretch goal (a Devil Survivor-style adventure by Mikan) so now is a pretty good time to back. :allears:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ratpick posted:

Speaking of Far West, since it was funded, how many other RPGs have been successfully funded and actually seen release? Dungeon World and 13th Age both come to mind.

Through the Breach
Wasteland 2
Shadowrun Returns

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Here's some other things from my kickstarted list!
  • Low Life: The Whole Hole
  • Mutants & Masterminds 10th Anniversary Edition
  • Golden Sky Stories
  • Accursed
  • OVA: The Anime Role-Playing Game
Ryuutama and Dungeons & Designers are functionally done, but the final edits and layout aren't finished. The RPG kickstarter that's running the latest for me (based on originally proposed date and the actual kickstarter conclusion) is Exalted 3rd Edition, which is running nine months late.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Here's mine:

Mars Colony: 39 Dark
The Spark RPG
Fate Core
One Shot
Hillfolk
Dungeon World
Last Stand
Dog Eat Dog
Full Moon
Parsec
Mobile Frame Zero
Always/Never/Now

And if we're talking supplements too instead of full games:

Eclipse Phase Transhuman
Cortex+ Hacker's Guide
The Skies Over Danbury
John Wick's Wicked Fantasy

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I'm not sure TBZ should count since it was being planned and worked on for years before the kickstarter. Like I remember seeing it in someone's sig on RPG.net back when Kickstarter was "That thing Greg Stolze is talking up as a new way to release games"

Just about every Pinnacle Kickstarter has funded and released since Far West, though they're all supplements/sourcebooks for Savage Worlds: Deadlands Noir, Savage Rome, the PDFs of East Texas University/Pinebox Texas. Hell, most of them got fulfilled -before- the expected release date by a bit, because Pinnacle knows how to set expectations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Three Days Before Retirement
Tears of a Machine
Achtung! Cthulhu
Weird Wars: Rome

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I backed an album that took less time to produce than Far West.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~

Ettin posted:

Breakfast Cult has 3 days to go and we're close to the 11k stretch goal (a Devil Survivor-style adventure by Mikan) so now is a pretty good time to back. :allears:

Please add more Gimmick Tiers or convince me that Challenger Approaches is worth it (it probably is).

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Bulldogs! was a kickstarter, too. And Shadows of Esteren. And more! It's a good platform for the product type.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

Please add more Gimmick Tiers or convince me that Challenger Approaches is worth it (it probably is).

The next stretch goal adds 10 more gimmick tiers, actually. It's an NPC collection.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Successfully funded and seen release? Uh.. others than other mentioned...

Tephra (steampunk, uses d12s, although a bunch of people are still waiting for their book apparently)
New Fire (Aztec-based game. Pretty sweet)
Malifaux: Through The Breach (based on the miniature game)
Mummy: the Curse (nWoD)

Old games remade/collected:
Hunters Hunted 2
Changing Breeds
Traveller

FILLED WITH REGRET:
Synnabarr (that... freaking... post... campaign... update)

supplements:
Admiral o' the High Seas (4E/Pathfinder supplement)

Still waiting on... 8 more, 1 of which has vanished and hasn't posted an update in forever, a few that are still on schedule, and like 3 that are late.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

For anyone who backed Twilight Struggle, do you remember when they'd send out the GMT games coupons? I'm mostly just checking to see I didn't forget or otherwise miss it being sent out.

Also I'm curious how many of these games you guys have Kickstarter'ed have actually hit the table.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cyberia posted:

Has anyone backed this kickstarter from CMON: Micro Art Bases?

Why aren't there any square bases! :argh:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

unseenlibrarian posted:

I'm not sure TBZ should count since it was being planned and worked on for years before the kickstarter. Like I remember seeing it in someone's sig on RPG.net back when Kickstarter was "That thing Greg Stolze is talking up as a new way to release games"

This is true - to an extent, I'd have to look at the author's notes again - but I'm not sure that matters? I mean, you could argue Mutants & Masterminds 10th Anniversary is just a revision of material from years before, but gently caress, that's just an example of having an obvious goal that can be achieved, published, and shipped. Pinpointing when a project was a twinkle in its creator's eye isn't so much as important as just the scope of the Kickstarter itself.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

unseenlibrarian posted:

To springboard off what ARB said, I'm not sure why it matters because "Throw a Kickstarter party with only a vague idea, then get to work actually making the thing you promised to make" may be the most common way people use Kickstarter but it isn't the only way they have to use it. Working on something prior to Kickstarting the actual publication of it frankly seems like a smarter move to me given how many people go into KSing a project with nothing but a handful of ideas then realize "oh man, actually making something is hard guys."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Well, it's more, back in the day, in its niche, TBZ -was- the long-promised and anticipated game that people started making jokes about not showing up because it was taking forever. It's just no money had changed hands for it at the time.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
I backed The Agents and got some add-ons from The Agents Return and I have to say Saar Shai (https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/673576049) is one of the best Kickstarter managers I've seen. He gives updates only when there's something to say and he just got the games in to ship and noticed that the card quality is off so he's getting another run printed. He also is including a $20 artbook for every backer now as an apology. When I backed the first one my game never showed up so he sent me another copy with express shipping too.

Not to mention the dude did the first Agents Kickstarter and part of this project while in the middle east and continued to work on the game while he had to stay in a bomb shelter.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Add my game, Base Raiders, to the list of completed RPGs launched after Far West. Speaking of which, be sure to check out my current Kickstarter for a Base Raiders adventure.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

unseenlibrarian posted:

Well, it's more, back in the day, in its niche, TBZ -was- the long-promised and anticipated game that people started making jokes about not showing up because it was taking forever. It's just no money had changed hands for it at the time.

Well that's sort of the important distinction, right there. People joked about TBZ but the spirit of the jokes was a lot different because it's not like anyone was out any money for it. I imagine if Andy K had essentially solicited five or six figures in preorders back when he was first getting started that people wouldn't have been quite as unruffled about the huge gap of time between initial concept and final delivery.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just from my list of stuff since 2011 that I haven't seen Edit: posted in someone elses list: Posthuman Pathways, Grim World, Motobushido, Fate of the Norns, and Our Last Best Hope.

I'd argue with Always/Never/Now being done. I still haven't gotten my physical copy. I don't think anyone has.

Edit: Clarified things.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 24, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know Grim World and Motobushido shipped, because I got my physical copies a while back.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

unseenlibrarian posted:

Well, the harsh thing to point out about Tenra is that we haven't heard about much of the promised add-on content for a full year. Ruined Empire, Mythos Hunter Zero, Tenra: WAR have rough drafts but were never finished AFAIK, and Demimonde has never materialized at all as far as I'm aware. We haven't really seen anything on them in nearly a year now. Similarly, the Extra Characters, Introductory Scenario, Reference Sheet, Extra Scenarios, Illustrated Replay - it would be awesome if I was wrong, but I'm pretty sure none of that emerged. :(

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Man, you had to go and remind me about Demimonde. So excited for that still. :smith:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Echophonic posted:

Just from my list of stuff since 2011 that I haven't seen: Posthuman Pathways, Grim World, Motobushido, Fate of the Norns, and Our Last Best Hope.

I'd argue with Always/Never/Now being done. I still haven't gotten my physical copy. I don't think anyone has.

Our Last Best Hope is on sale on Drive Thru RPG, has been in a Bundle of Holding and has an expansion, so I would hope you've at least gotten a PDF. Same with Motobushido, minus the expansion. I never go for physical books so I don't have any idea if any of those have shipped. (Especially since the only one of those I actually Kickstarted was Grim World.)

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

malkav11 posted:

Our Last Best Hope is on sale on Drive Thru RPG, has been in a Bundle of Holding and has an expansion, so I would hope you've at least gotten a PDF. Same with Motobushido, minus the expansion. I never go for physical books so I don't have any idea if any of those have shipped. (Especially since the only one of those I actually Kickstarted was Grim World.)

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know Grim World and Motobushido shipped, because I got my physical copies a while back.

I meant seen posted in people's lists, I'll clarify that post.

A/N/N is still a no-show and no-news for like 8 months.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sean K. Reynold's new kickstarter is live.

quote:

The goals for this game are:

* Create a book that's easy to read, understand, play, and reference, like the Pathfinder RPG Beginner Box (a product I wrote and am very proud of).

* Make characters less dependent upon their gear to survive and succeed.

* Elevate martial characters to have parity with spellcasters, but still maintain fun and distinct flavor for each class.

* Reward roleplaying, teamwork, adventuring, and social interaction instead of focusing on damage output in combat.

* Create a longer play experience in the leveling "sweet spot" (the D&D/PFRPG equivalent of level 6 to level 12).

* Allow characters to level more frequently so they don't remain exactly the same for many game sessions.

* Simplify scaling monster encounters against various character levels.

* Allow for pseudo-medieval fantasy without "realism" hindering characters.
:effort:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yep, sounds like an RPG of some sort.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So it's another D&D heartbreaker by someone who doesn't know how D&D works. :razz:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm just wondering how much hate mail he's going to get for suggesting martial/caster parity.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Kickstarter Goals:

*We want the game to be more good, and less bad.

*You will roll dice at times, and at other times, you won't roll dice.

*Players will level up by gaining experience, and then when they do that they will gain new abilities and skills.

*We're not actually going to give a poo poo about Martial Characters but more people will give us money if we say we will.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Even two of those points seem questionable when combined:

* Create a longer play experience in the leveling "sweet spot" (the D&D/PFRPG equivalent of level 6 to level 12).
* Allow characters to level more frequently so they don't remain exactly the same for many game sessions.

Good luck balancing either one of those, much less both in conjunction.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Echophonic posted:

Just from my list of stuff since 2011 that I haven't seen Edit: posted in someone elses list: Posthuman Pathways, Grim World, Motobushido, Fate of the Norns, and Our Last Best Hope.

In my "deep regrets" bin, I've got Horror on the Orient Express (13 months late, no ETA) and Apotheosis Drive X (14 months late, no ETA).

The former I'm sure will come out eventually, but it's been mishandled in just about every way possible. The latter I'm pretty sure is a lost cause.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

S.J. posted:

I'm just wondering how much hate mail he's going to get for suggesting martial/caster parity.

Maybe in his game, fighters will get hate mail proficiency.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ettin posted:

Backer number 420. Heh.

Wait, Devil Survivor as in Shin Megami Tensei?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I backed out of sheer curiosity so you don't have to. You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

malkav11 posted:

I'm looking at my backer copy of Our Last Best Hope right now, and I've had it for months at least.

• Locked thread