Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

I'm seeing lots of people on Twitter lament the shutdown of ms research in the valley but I don't really get why, it's not like they were xerox parc or something
because msr produced a steady stream of world-changing innovations such as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

I'm seeing lots of people on Twitter lament the shutdown of ms research in the valley but I don't really get why, it's not like they were xerox parc or something

they did produce interesting concept things but they were a part of micro "stack ranking" soft so everything that even got close to viability was probably instantly torpedoed by middle managers from other departments

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

FMguru posted:

I went to an msr-funded talk on topological quantum computing. turns out they're equally as powerful as traditional quantum computers but they let you draw cooler pictures on the blackboard when you're explaining them

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

i like the idea of "pure research" getting funding somehow. it gives me a kind of hope

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

FMguru posted:

james mickens :3:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pure research is cool but it's not like they were famous for publishing a lot of science stuff either, for all intents and purposes it just looked like a hole they threw money in in order to look like they cared about making interesting new products

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qntm posted:

james mickens :3:

that guy's funny :thumbsup:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

traditional quantum computers
lmao

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

seems like the sign of a healthy market

quote:

Following in the path of Sony and its Vaio PCs, Samsung has decided to exit the laptop market stopping sales of Ativ Windows and Chromebook devices in Europe, PC Advisor can confirm.

It's common knowledge that the PC market is in decline with Sony pulling out and selling its Vaio business back in February of this year. Despite being a giant of the tech world, Samsung has now followed suit.

Things have been quiet from Samsung this year on the laptop side of things with no new devices at IFA 2014 in Berlin. The firm's main recent releases have included the Ativ Book 9 Plus and Ativ Book 9 Lite.

"We quickly adapt to market needs and demands. In Europe, we will be discontinuing sales of laptops including Chromebooks for now. This is specific to the region – and is not necessarily reflective of conditions in other markets," said a Samsung spokesperson.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

FMguru posted:

songsmith

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

FUUUUUUUUUUUUccckkk yeeaaaah!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGFogwcx-E

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

literally kill all your selves for that

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

qirex posted:

seems like the sign of a healthy market

lmao. what's left now if someone doesn't want a mac?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

ah-soos and lenovo I guess

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

remember when microsoft scared all the OEMs out of the portable market by making their own device

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Thanks Ants posted:

iOS and iPhone have had some missteps but mac is still great and OSX yosemite is the best OS X yet even in its current clunky beta state

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internaut! posted:

iOS and iPhone have had some missteps but mac is still great and OSX yosemite is the best OS X yet even in its current clunky beta state

well yeah obviously i meant what does a brain damaged person do if they want a well built not-mac?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

put windows on a rmbp?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thanks Ants posted:

well yeah obviously i meant what does a brain damaged person do if they want a well built not-mac?

hp re entered the market so them, Lenovo, and Asus I guess

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
is lenovo still loving around with the keyboard and screen in dumb ways?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

wow

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Phoenixan posted:

is lenovo still loving around with the keyboard and screen in dumb ways?

how dare you insult the starship enterprise laptop/convertible

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

how dare you insult the starship enterprise laptop/convertible

i think that was asus, and yes, lenovo is still in the process of continuously loving up their keybords

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
just looked at lenovo and they haven't spread that dumb touchpad function key thing from the x1 carbon to other models, so we're safe for now

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol no one usability tested this

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

new star trek lookin good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

microsoft is going to sell their own chromecast except it costs almost twice as much
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/23/6834745/microsoft-wireless-display-adapter-pricing-release-date

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

lol no one usability tested this

YOU SHOULDNT BE USING THE TOUCHPAD ANYWAY

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
hmm we need the touchscreen to look more appealing

let's do it by making every other form of input on this device as terrible as possible

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

i cannot... CANNOT make it all the way through this video.

I can't do it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

I can't do it.
try harder, op

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
latitudes and precisions still exist and suit work needs just fine

on the consumer grade side uh...bootcamp i guess

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

if that microsoft chromecast thing is the latest version of the projector server and can connect over ethernet across vlans and integrates as well into boardrooms as an apple tv then they will sell quite a few.

but it wont, so they wont.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

qirex posted:

microsoft is going to sell their own chromecast except it costs almost twice as much
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/23/6834745/microsoft-wireless-display-adapter-pricing-release-date
wireless display adapter

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Fabricated posted:

latitudes and precisions still exist and suit work needs just fine

on the consumer grade side uh...bootcamp i guess

precision laptops are hilariously heavy, overpowered poo poo purchased by engineers displaying a cad model with as many polygons as an average game from 1997 and almost none of the people who purchase them actually need them

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

wireless display adapter

lmbo they couldn't even make something with RDP under the covers they had to license someone else's IP

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

I can't do it.

stay strong, and soon you can be an advertising master.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pagancow posted:

stay strong, and soon you can be an advertising master.

such a price, though

such a terrible price…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Thanks Ants posted:

if that microsoft chromecast thing is the latest version of the projector server and can connect over ethernet across vlans and integrates as well into boardrooms as an apple tv then they will sell quite a few.

but it wont, so they wont.
a chromecast that works on enterprise networks instead of just consumer wireless would suit many of my needs

• Locked thread