Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Aggressive pricing posted:

Your current flow is in the wrong direction :science:
I can't get off this derail it seems.....Yes, talking about physics, you are right. But please touch a live wire (commonly called "+" or "positive" wire) in your household to prove your point. Sure, the current will flow from "the other direction" but gently caress you you are dead.

I love edits: Or did i not understand anything really and my diagrams are worthless because of it? :(

RabbitWizard has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

The convention for representing current is the direction that a positive test charge would travel.

The convention is wrong, a positive test charge wouldn't travel, because it's imaginary.

Xenoborg posted:

Blame Ben Franklin

e: it's honestly amazing it hasn't been fixed yet, it's like the entire scientific community said "Meh."
e2: and yeah, I just meant in a physics way

Aggressive pricing has a new favorite as of 19:58 on Sep 22, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

RabbitWizard posted:

I love edits: Or did i not understand anything really and my diagrams are worthless because of it? :(
No. Your diagrams are both substantively correct and, in fact, reflect the way that current flow is normally represented. It's a quirk of history that this is opposite to the direction that electrons actually travel, but it doesn't actually affect anything here in terms of what you've done.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Farmland Park posted:

That's actually a thing though, my mom has been using a wooden "cake tester" for as long as I remember.

Me too, its called a tooth pick.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

That's what anodes are for, it's all perfectly safe. Also, lol if you think running the taps means the water spent less time in pipes(unless it's well water).

I said it was safe in the post you quoted. Also, I don't think a sacrificial anode provides protection from trace amounts of metal dissolving into a liquid since that isn't a chemical reaction (not that it really matters because, as I said, its more about preventing a possible off-taste than for health reason). I also don't consider an open air reservoir or a treatment plant a pipe and I doubt it takes 8 hours (the time water often sits stagnant while you sleep or work) for water to reach my house from either; not that it matters because city water can generally be considered fresh until it reaches your meter because there are enough other people using water that it basically has a constant flow at the street level. Also, once again, there is no health danger unless you have lead pipes.

You can't believe how much I hate plumbing, so can we stop arguing about plumbing minutia and both go back to making fun of a guy who thinks tap water will give you Legionnaires' disease, but only if heated and consumed orally instead of its more common transmission route?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/10-reasons-why-anime-nerds-are-highly-satisfied-life.html

Hmm, this doesn't seem right but it's on lifehack.org, so I guess it must be... Hm...

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Anime is the ultimate lifehack.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Darth Freddy posted:

Me too, its called a tooth pick.

Yeah but two bucks for a wire you can wash and reuse is like... one of the reasonable things in this thread.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Stairs posted:

Out of all the things in this thread, the fact that she's using those chopsticks upside down pisses me off the most.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Walla!

neongrey posted:

Yeah but two bucks for a wire you can wash and reuse is like... one of the reasonable things in this thread.

Lifehack: spend like a buck on a box of toothpicks instead of buying a cake tester! It costs a little less, comes with enough to last you the rest of your life, and you can just throw it away instead of having to clean it!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Lifejack! You can take pre-wrapped(guaranteed sanitation) toothpicks from the local restaurants there's no limit you can take them all out of the bowl if you want haha.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

amityville anus posted:

Lifejack! You can take pre-wrapped(guaranteed sanitation) toothpicks from the local restaurants there's no limit you can take them all out of the bowl if you want haha.

Front-of-house staff hates this one simple trick!

(they really do)

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

What's with this thread having gotten to the point where people get mad over a $2 piece of wire and ketchup squirters shaped like guns? There's laughing at lovely life hacks and then there's just "No you're wrong if you're not fully optimizing your life also no fun allowed."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

pandaK posted:

What's with this thread having gotten to the point where people get mad over a $2 piece of wire and ketchup squirters shaped like guns? There's laughing at lovely life hacks and then there's just "No you're wrong if you're not fully optimizing your life also no fun allowed."

How sad and pathetic does your life have to be that you consider $2 pieces of wire and condiment guns to be 'fun'?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

If nothing else, purpose-built tools and gadgets are like the opposite of lifehacks. They're plenty silly and dumb in most cases but like come on.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

neongrey posted:

If nothing else, purpose-built tools and gadgets are like the opposite of lifehacks. They're plenty silly and dumb in most cases but like come on.

That's part of the problem of 'lifehacks' though. All these articles that tout '15 kitchen life hacks' and ten of the 'hacks' involve buying some novelty unitasker from Thinkgeek and the other five are either overly complicated and / or flat-out wrong (like the 'making gummi worms in straws' macro).

If you posted an article called 'Ten Fun Gadgets To Impulse Buy' and it was all that poo poo from Thinkgeek then nobody would care but when you try to tell me that a mustard gun is a lifehack I am going to tell you that you're a retarded idiot.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I guess; it depends on the list. More often I come across things like 'discard your obscure tool for this trick everyone does anyway!' or yeah the over-complicated/wrong/stupid things.

Earlier on in this thread was actually the first time I saw a gadget listicle billed as 'lifehacks'. v:shobon:v

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Has the website https://hackthemenu.com been posted yet? It definitely belongs here with its incredibly smug tone while having 99.5% of the "secret menu" items it lists from around the country be weird custom order crap that someone coined a name they thought was clever for (especially the dirty ones like the McGangbang, or a Dr. Pepper Orgasm from Sonic). The comments on each entry almost always include people who either have worked at that restaurant or were customers, explaining that that ordering that item either won't work, or else you'll just need the detailed (and often expensive) ingredient list to get them to make it. The whole Dairy Queen page is funny because each and every item there is on the standard menu pretty much nationwide.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Choco1980 posted:

Has the website https://hackthemenu.com been posted yet? It definitely belongs here with its incredibly smug tone while having 99.5% of the "secret menu" items it lists from around the country be weird custom order crap that someone coined a name they thought was clever for (especially the dirty ones like the McGangbang, or a Dr. Pepper Orgasm from Sonic). The comments on each entry almost always include people who either have worked at that restaurant or were customers, explaining that that ordering that item either won't work, or else you'll just need the detailed (and often expensive) ingredient list to get them to make it. The whole Dairy Queen page is funny because each and every item there is on the standard menu pretty much nationwide.

quote:

Add Mashed Potatoes - How to Order: When placing your order, ask for Mashed Potatoes to be added directly to your entree.

No longer are the days where mashed potatoes sit on the sidelines. Next time add mashed potatoes onto a sandwich or any other entree to bring a creative twist to your meal. Simply ask the staff to add mashed potatoes onto anything! Try them on top of your chicken patty or your chicken pot pie, if you love mashed potatoes you know they go with everything.

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Your current flow is in the wrong direction :science:

NEGATIVE TO POSITIVE!!!!

Hot Wheels Tracks
Jul 8, 2007

Did you or did you not go to town on my body with
[quote="MariusLecter" post="434657802"]

This is also a good way to insure you get your partner pregnant if you plan on pulling out instead of wearing a condom. An awesome way to leave potentially viable sperm in your urethra that could be released with seminal plasma prior to ejaculation.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Plinkey posted:

NEGATIVE TO POSITIVE!!!!

Depends what you call positive and negative. Or even what's flowing.

Damnit electrochemistry nomenclature pisses me off.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Probably over half of the things on there are "Special orders some dipshits gave a name to." Like the McLeprechaun Shake. No poo poo you can order a milkshake with half and half flavors. You'd have just gotten a blank look from any cashier at the stores I worked in, if you asked for a McLeprechaun. Ask for "Large milkshake, half chocolate, half Shamrock", and you'd get what you want without having to explain your special name milkshake.

ETA: Hahahaha, Dipping Sauces, really? Not in the open? Like every McDonalds I've worked in, or been in, the next thing out of the cashier's mouth after you order nuggets is "What type of sauce would you like with that?"

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Hot Wheels Tracks posted:

This is also a good way to insure you get your partner pregnant if you plan on pulling out instead of wearing a condom. An awesome way to leave potentially viable sperm in your urethra that could be released with seminal plasma prior to ejaculation.

In general, relying on pulling out rather than wearing a condom is a good way to get your partner pregnant regardless. Lifehack: don't rely on birth control methods approved by 19th century priests and just wear a rubber/use the pill.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Hot Wheels Tracks posted:

Protip: peeing washes out/kills sperm remaining in the urethra, but seriously, don't rely on pulling out.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

In general, relying on pulling out rather than wearing a condom is a good way to get your partner pregnant regardless. Lifehack: don't rely on birth control methods approved by 19th century priests and just wear a rubber/use the pill.

The calender method was the only birth control allowed by the church for the longest time. In fact, the Comstock Laws in the US were so strict they made it illegal even to teach pulling out and people went to jail over teaching poor people how to not get pregnant and then die giving themselves an abortion because they couldn't afford a 12th baby (wealthy people had more discreet family doctors). I know this is only tangentially related to what you posted, but I get worked up over the banning of sex ed and contraception.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Lifehack: Be gay. You'll never get any pregnancy problems!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tired Moritz posted:

Not according to my Sherlock fanfictions~~~

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Tired Moritz posted:

Lifehack: Instead you'll have STD problems! :saddowns:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

:vince:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Oh god

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Knot according to my Sherlock fanfictions~~~

FTFY

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Probably over half of the things on there are "Special orders some dipshits gave a name to." Like the McLeprechaun Shake. No poo poo you can order a milkshake with half and half flavors. You'd have just gotten a blank look from any cashier at the stores I worked in, if you asked for a McLeprechaun. Ask for "Large milkshake, half chocolate, half Shamrock", and you'd get what you want without having to explain your special name milkshake.

ETA: Hahahaha, Dipping Sauces, really? Not in the open? Like every McDonalds I've worked in, or been in, the next thing out of the cashier's mouth after you order nuggets is "What type of sauce would you like with that?"

And other super sekrit items like "ask for an additional slice of cheese! BAM! #menuhaxxored"

http://hackthemenu.com/jack-in-the-box/secret-menu/additional-cheese-slices/

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Legit Subway lifehack: order the steak and egg instead of the plain steak. It's cheaper than the plain steak, but the Subway clerks put the same amount of steak on there because they don't know they're only supposed to use half as much.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

How Rude posted:

Lifehack: Instead you'll have STD problems! :saddowns:

Straight unprotected sex also has that problem so you're actually just removing pregnancy from the equation?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

I thought that was only Supernatural

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Oraculum Animi posted:

Straight unprotected sex also has that problem so you're actually just removing pregnancy from the equation?

Basically, although an argument could be made that gays are slightly more likely to have an STD because for some reason people only seem to really worry about pregnancy. I seem to recall the highest transmission rates for STDs being teenagers (because they feel invincible), gays (can't get pregnant), and middle aged people reentering the dating scene (menopause and vasectomies are more common).

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

The Door Frame posted:

I thought that was only Supernatural

I don't even want to begin to describe what "Superwholock" is.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

strangemusic posted:

I don't even want to begin to describe what "Superwholock" is.

Well first you have to explain the omegaverse, and that's something I'd leave for the fine folks here to google

Cat Hatter posted:

Basically, although an argument could be made that gays are slightly more likely to have an STD because for some reason people only seem to really worry about pregnancy. I seem to recall the highest transmission rates for STDs being teenagers (because they feel invincible), gays (can't get pregnant), and middle aged people reentering the dating scene (menopause and vasectomies are more common).

And the elderly, they have some of the highest levels of STD's of any population because they are generally infertile, so they never think of protection. On top of that, there are extremely high rates of partner sharing because of the sex gradient skewing towards women since all of the men die earlier or become physically incapable of sex

Lifehack: prevent grandma's STI by introducing her to the omegaverse

The Door Frame has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Sep 24, 2014

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

ewwwwwww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Lifehack: Polish wood furniture with orange Gatorade

When people in the comment section questioned the wisdom of using soft drinks on furniture, the poster defended it by saying that ants aren't attracted by sugar.