Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

duTrieux. posted:

such a price, though

such a terrible price…

but once you learn to love the ad, and hate the show, it all becomes easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

You have so much more time to create ads when you're source of entertainment never lasts longer than 2-4 minutes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

apple tv can enroll into mdm to lock it right down to just being an airplay receiver, can put a custom standby image on to get it corporate friendly, generates a pin for connecting to it, proper wifi stuff can do bonjour forwarding.

basically its very needs suiting for the low low price. yeah you have to use macs but if your company still uses windows pcs then you probably dont have things like conference rooms or displays bigger than 14 inch crts anyway.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pagancow posted:

but once you learn to love the ad, and hate the show, it all becomes easy.

i have a lot of trouble with ads beacuse i end up picking apart the rhetorical devices being used to cretae an emotional void within me that only {PRODUCT} can fill

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

i have a lot of trouble with ads beacuse i end up picking apart the rhetorical devices being used to cretae an emotional void within me that only {PRODUCT} can fill
you can solve this with a wireless display adapter

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

you have to use macs but if your company still uses windows pcs then you probably dont have things like conference rooms or displays bigger than 14 inch crts anyway.

im all about apple tvs but just lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Thanks Ants posted:

apple tv can enroll into mdm to lock it right down to just being an airplay receiver, can put a custom standby image on to get it corporate friendly, generates a pin for connecting to it, proper wifi stuff can do bonjour forwarding.

basically its very needs suiting for the low low price. yeah you have to use macs but if your company still uses windows pcs then you probably dont have things like conference rooms or displays bigger than 14 inch crts anyway.

what's "proper wifi" stuff because the people who run our wifi network claim up and down this isn't possible and apple doesn't let the bonjour stuff go out over the VPN connection so we don't have a way to get a straight shot on to wired network and avoid the broadcast domain limits

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it was cool when I went to demo speakers the listening room just had an apple tv so it was easy to switch between demoing movies and stuff off my phone

protip: pandora sounds extra-awful played through fancy B&Ws

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

what's "proper wifi" stuff because the people who run our wifi network claim up and down this isn't possible and apple doesn't let the bonjour stuff go out over the VPN connection so we don't have a way to get a straight shot on to wired network and avoid the broadcast domain limits

aerohive, meraki, some cisco stuff now, probably ruckus as well. otherwise an avahi vm.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

its called "wide area bonjour" and is an option on the apple airport extreme, the best router for all environments

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I used to buy precision laptops up until ~12 years ago when they weren't utter poo poo

can't imagine how bad they are now

rip PC industry, you were good for many laffs

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

precision laptops are hilariously heavy, overpowered poo poo purchased by engineers displaying a cad model with as many polygons as an average game from 1997 and almost none of the people who purchase them actually need them
They're built pretty well and do what they're supposed to do

but yeah totally overkill for what most people get them for

the profs that buy them here actually really put them through their paces though; particularly the ones in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering

my brother is a mechanical engineer and he beats it up with the stuff they're doing in Creo Parametric

Internaut! posted:

I used to buy precision laptops up until ~12 years ago when they weren't utter poo poo

can't imagine how bad they are now

rip PC industry, you were good for many laffs
again, they're actually really nice but calling them laptops is absolutely inaccurate given how loving big and heavy they are

i though they used to call them "desktop replacements" but i guess not anymore w/e

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 24, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
nfl surface deployment going about as well as you would expect: http://deadspin.com/nflers-cannot-figure-out-how-to-use-tablets-1638324162

quote:

But a problem kept occurring. [Danieal] Manning would show up at team meetings, ready to work, tablet in hand. "I open it, I'm ready to go and then…" he said, staring straight ahead, "the battery is at 33%." In one instance this summer, Manning panicked when he saw the low battery. He started feverishly working to get as much in before the battery went dead all while not tipping off his teammates of his crisis. "I [thought], 'Man, I've got a little bit of battery!' I'm trying to jam as much in as I can," he said. "I'm drawing plays down and I'm doing it as fast as I can."

Manning couldn't find any sockets nearby. His productivity for the rest of the meeting was negligible.

quote:

Indeed, coaches can be even more confused than veteran players. Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid said he keeps younger assistants around to figure out the technology. New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick—who is famous for being on the cutting edge tactically—admitted that he hasn't figured it out.
lmbo

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FMguru posted:

nfl surface deployment going about as well as you would expect: http://deadspin.com/nflers-cannot-figure-out-how-to-use-tablets-1638324162

lmbo

oops forgot those battery keyboards that are 110% necessary to get any use out of a surface pro

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

FMguru posted:

lmbo

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

the surface is very good at running metro and letting you click and touch on metro but if you want to do anything else you will get fustrated very quickly

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

reminder the first surface used a fuzzy keyboard with fuzzy trackpad

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

reminder the first surface used a fuzzy keyboard with fuzzy trackpad

its almost as if the surface is the product of fuzzy logic

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

the later ones have a really nice keyboard actually, it's just the rest of everything

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
theyd be better off putting those 400 lb cocktail table touchscreens on the sidelines

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
"So guys the play looks like this *points virtual laser pointer to draw lines and xs and os on the playfield HEY OPPOSING TEAM STOP LOOKING I CAN SEE YOURE LOOKING*"

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

teams installing remote access software on each others tablets to spy on stuff

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fabricated posted:

i though they used to call them "desktop replacements" but i guess not anymore w/e

um excuse me, lenovo prefers the term "mobile workstation"

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The CTO offices wishes to purchase 47 Surface's 3, it has been over two months and Microsoft still hasn't done anything with the order :homebrew:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

precision laptops are hilariously heavy, overpowered poo poo purchased by engineers displaying a cad model with as many polygons as an average game from 1997 and almost none of the people who purchase them actually need them

and yet, those applications showing a 1997 game's worth of polygons will run at 5 fps unless its a "pro" card

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

hobbesmaster posted:

and yet, those applications showing a 1997 game's worth of polygons will run at 5 fps unless its a "pro" card

do people still reflash their video cards with workstation card firmware?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

raruler posted:

I thought they were blowing fuses to get the driver to think it was a different card

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raruler posted:

i wish there was a solution because consumer graphics cards make it look like rendering a million poly mesh in opengl is the hardest thing in the world

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
"hrm, yes, i think that taking this card with a chip that failed tests as a workstation GPU and was binned for consumer game use should get unlocked back to workstation status because i have faith that it can just magically get better also you look like you have aids, have you taken oscillococcinum for that?"

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

raruler posted:

hasnt really been a thing since the 8800GTX I thinkaand even then it was a huge pain involving flashes, startup utilities, a couple drivers from a random website...

EMILY BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 24, 2014

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

8800GTX "becomes" an FX5600 with half the ram
want one? it's $350

EMILY BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 24, 2014

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
what was the card that just had a software switch to turn off the extra stuff, so you could just flash the firmware for the faster card

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

there were actual quadro/geforce differences besides binning but if you are doing this to a gaming card none of them really mattered, and the app in question probably didn't care about those anyway

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i have a lenovo carbon and i like it

you get used to the touch functino bar thingy, just disable most of the modes and you're gold

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

carry on then posted:

um excuse me, lenovo prefers the term "mobile workstation"
"Mobile" *breaks the table on a business class seat, is forced to place it back in its steamer trunk*

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

qirex posted:

pure research is cool but it's not like they were famous for publishing a lot of science stuff either, for all intents and purposes it just looked like a hole they threw money in in order to look like they cared about making interesting new products

u clearly havent heard of the surface rt

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Fabricated posted:

calling them laptops is absolutely inaccurate given how loving big and heavy they are

how much do they weigh op

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

qirex posted:

pure research is cool but it's not like they were famous for publishing a lot of science stuff either, for all intents and purposes it just looked like a hole they threw money in in order to look like they cared about making interesting new products
msr is famous in the cs research community as basically the largest remaining industry lab that does any pure research

the second half of your post contradicts to your statement that pure research is cool

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Thanks Ants posted:

lmao. what's left now if someone doesn't want a mac?

as if there's any such person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

current microsoft status:

you can get everything on the left side of the image for about $700 less than the piece of poo poo on the right

• Locked thread