Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Verdugo posted:

And other super sekrit items like "ask for an additional slice of cheese! BAM! #menuhaxxored"

http://hackthemenu.com/jack-in-the-box/secret-menu/additional-cheese-slices/

I love how that site acts like ordering a hamburger at Burger King and saying what extras you want on it is a secret. What do they think "Have it your way" is talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
http://hackthemenu.com/subway/secret-menu/wing-effect/

Are you loving kidding me?

quote:

Subway Wing Effect

When you're at Subway and you get the urge to see the meat hanging off the edge of your sandwich, flapping in the wind, then you will want to ask for theĀ "Wing Effect". Subway usually tucks in the meat when they make a sandwich, so they'll leave the meat hanging off the sides for you to nibble away at. The Wing Effect is a Subway secret menu trick that is for the extremely particular sandwich connoisseur, or the weirdos, whichever way you choose to look at the situation. But don't let us stop you from enjoying your sandwich the way you personally like it. If you enjoy seeing the insides of your sandwich hanging over the edge then go ahead and order your sub with the Wing Effect!

How is this even a hack?!

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Alright, spoonchat is from the beginning of the thread but jesus christ people you wash a spoon without having it splash everywhere by holding the head of the spoon pointed down, and hold it so the water hits the handle right above where the head is and runs down over the head and rinses it.

surc has a new favorite as of 05:58 on Sep 24, 2014

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

EZipperelli posted:

Not only is it not a hack, it's not a thing. I don't work for Subway but I work with them a huge amount and I have never heard of this. Also, it's stupid.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Verdugo posted:

And other super sekrit items like "ask for an additional slice of cheese! BAM! #menuhaxxored"

http://hackthemenu.com/jack-in-the-box/secret-menu/additional-cheese-slices/

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Sanford posted:

Not only is it not a hack, it's not a thing. I don't work for Subway but I work with them a huge amount and I have never heard of this. Also, it's stupid.

I did work at Subway, and not a single person wanted this. Did get more than a few people who wanted fucktons of olives, and I mean fucktons, but no-one asking for me to dangle meat off the edge of the sandwich so that they could nibble on it without disrupting the sandwich construction.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

EZipperelli posted:

It's not a real thing. The only off-the-menu shenanigans you can pull are to have them cut the bread "the old way," but good luck finding a Subway employee who remembers what that means. "Cut it like a boat" usually gets you close enough if you don't want your meatballs spilling out everywhere.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Lifehack: post whatever bullshit you want, even if it's completely untrue, but tout it as a "life hack" to rack in those sweet, sweet pageviews.

One weird trick a web developer learned to increase ad revenue! Moms hate her!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When I worked at A&W when I was still a teen, we had a dude who was a regular who ordered burgers he named after himself; the people that had been working there longer knew what it was and what was on it and how to ring it up, but I did not and I felt like a subject of the dumbest ridicule ever when I had to ask my boss about it. Like, instead of just saying what he wanted on the burger, the dude just said he wanted the burger he had named after himself to a person who had never seen him as if it's a real menu item.

What???

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Cat Hatter posted:

Protip: peeing washes out/kills sperm remaining in the urethra, but seriously, don't rely on pulling out.

Life Hack: Love masturbating, but hate cleaning up? Apply pressure to the perineum at the moment of climax to divert sperm and seminal fluid into the bladder where it will be diluted and flushed harmlessly out of your body.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Choco1980 posted:

Has the website https://hackthemenu.com been posted yet? It definitely belongs here with its incredibly smug tone while having 99.5% of the "secret menu" items it lists from around the country be weird custom order crap that someone coined a name they thought was clever for (especially the dirty ones like the McGangbang, or a Dr. Pepper Orgasm from Sonic). The comments on each entry almost always include people who either have worked at that restaurant or were customers, explaining that that ordering that item either won't work, or else you'll just need the detailed (and often expensive) ingredient list to get them to make it. The whole Dairy Queen page is funny because each and every item there is on the standard menu pretty much nationwide.

I was a service manager at Chipotle years ago, and pretty much everything on that list is either effectively on the menu (as in they have buttons for it on the POS) or they are so obvious they might as well be. Yeah, no poo poo, you can get extra salsas if you want. I had a guy who came in every drat day and probably got a quarts worth of sour cream in his burrito bowls. We'll dump some beans on your bag of chips, sure, whatever. Nobody who works there cares about that. What they do care about is the motherfuckers that order those goddamn burritodilla things, especially during a lunch rush. Usually most stores only have two tortilla presses, both of which should be available for that exact purpose: warming tortillas. Any time you order a quesadilla or anything like it, you hog one of those presses, which generally slows down the throughput. This seems like a really minor thing, but it has a profound effect on the line workers. Pretty much everyone who worked at my store hated this, and if you order a stuffed quesadilla (the actual term), you will be charged for a quesadilla and a burrito, which was something like $11 when I worked there. Everyone who works at that restaurant makes minimum wage and about $3 a shift in tips. Just order a burrito and leave.

Also nobody is ever going to make you that taco salad bowl, ever, unless you're close friends with the guy who's running the back kitchen. Even then, chipotle doesn't stock the special molds required to make that flanged "taco salad bowl" shape (or at least they didn't seven years ago), so even if you manage to convince them to make it for you, it's gonna basically be a warped disk of fried flour that marks you as the kind of rear end in a top hat who wants special food at a fast food joint.

gently caress this website for making me remember how awful it was to work at Chipotle and how lovely the customers generally are. Guess everyone's culinary career has to start at some awful place or another...

Radio Help has a new favorite as of 12:34 on Sep 24, 2014

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe

secret life hacks

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

cult_hero posted:

Love masturbating, but hate cleaning up? Clamp down on your dick right before you blow your load to make the jizz magically disappear! No messy cleanup! #lifehax

FTFY

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

luzie posted:

secret life hacks

Crispy edge bologna can be pretty tasty if you cook a sandwich in a salamander

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Radio Help posted:

burritodilla

I went to Chipotle and a group of four people ordered those, individually, during a rush. Something like 8 people ordered, paid, and were seated by the time the last of that group got their stupid loving calorie bomb, meanwhile the line behind was growing out the door.

I felt second-hand irritation because for all the loving effort, they didn't even TRY to finish more than half of each of their abominations. They effectively slowed down the entire restaurant just to take no less than 15 food/selfies and eat one-and-a-half goddamn "burritos" between them.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

You know what probably happened after that? Someone in either PATCH or HR was either watching or would eventually watch the security camera footage from that day (upper managers at Chipotle were almost always watching the live footage from the cameras, which were exclusively pointed at the employees) and forced the general manager or service manager to chew out the line for not getting people out fast enough.

I was actually expected to do this for that exact same situation many, many times, and that is why I still harbor hatred for that loving menu item seven years after the fact.

Radio Help has a new favorite as of 13:02 on Sep 24, 2014

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
quote is not edit

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lifehack: our society places service employees in a perpetually precarious state of employment by design, make one follow your whims if you need a cheer-up. Your satisfaction might make the difference whether they eat tonight!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

CJacobs posted:

When I worked at A&W when I was still a teen, we had a dude who was a regular who ordered burgers he named after himself; the people that had been working there longer knew what it was and what was on it and how to ring it up, but I did not and I felt like a subject of the dumbest ridicule ever when I had to ask my boss about it. Like, instead of just saying what he wanted on the burger, the dude just said he wanted the burger he had named after himself to a person who had never seen him as if it's a real menu item.

What???

A friend of mine has successfully accomplished his life goal to get this to work, the burrito joint near us recognizes a "Russ Burrito" as a bean and cheese, add carne asada. Even works with the new employees, even works if Russ isn't there. Took him years.

Also the Five Guys secret menu stuff on that website has a "Double Cheeseburger with two grilled cheese sandwiches for bread" which, fine whatever, some people might want to eat that, but the site describes it as refreshing. I feel like that's a poor word choice.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Wasabi the J posted:

I went to Chipotle and a group of four people ordered those, individually, during a rush. Something like 8 people ordered, paid, and were seated by the time the last of that group got their stupid loving calorie bomb, meanwhile the line behind was growing out the door.

I usually hold up the line because I put everything (except meat, veggie is a cheaper burrito with free guacamole! Better lifehack than a grilled cheese double cheese burger from a super greasy fast food place :cry:) possible on my burrito and they can't roll it without a second tortilla. Is this a lovely thing to order?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

The Door Frame posted:

I usually hold up the line because I put everything (except meat, veggie is a cheaper burrito with free guacamole! Better lifehack than a grilled cheese double cheese burger from a super greasy fast food place :cry:) possible on my burrito and they can't roll it without a second tortilla. Is this a lovely thing to order?

A veggie burrito? Yes.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Oraculum Animi posted:

Straight unprotected sex also has that problem so you're actually just removing pregnancy from the equation?

My bad, I meant STD problems instead of also having pregnancy problems, but semantics, etc.

edit: Stop being skimpy on the sweet onion oil Subway workers! I hate having to ask you for more, but apparently doing the obvious is a secret lifehack according to the internet.
I guess putting your shoes on after you put your pants on is a lifehack too from whatever world these people are from :psyduck:

How Rude has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Sep 24, 2014

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

when you think about it a baby is the worst std of them all

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

pandaK posted:

when you think about it a baby is the worst std of them all

Donald Glover agrees (starts around the 1 1/2 minute mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWmeB7mY_E0

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rickycat posted:

Donald Glover agrees (starts around the 1 1/2 minute mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWmeB7mY_E0

:siren: lifehack :siren: you can link to youtubes at a time stamp:

http://youtu.be/yWmeB7mY_E0?t=1m30s

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah I had done that originally but after I realized I couldn't embed it with the time stamp (Or brain farted) I gave up. Oh well.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

The Door Frame posted:

Eh I mean as long as you're polite about ordering it that doesn't seem like a big deal. I used to do double-wide burritos on a fairly regular basis. Don't know why people think they need 8,000+ calories in a sitting but whatev

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

I did work at Subway, and not a single person wanted this. Did get more than a few people who wanted fucktons of olives, and I mean fucktons, but no-one asking for me to dangle meat off the edge of the sandwich so that they could nibble on it without disrupting the sandwich construction.

This is me. I am now actually considering ordering a "fuckton of olives" at some point.

Subways in Georgia always wanted to limit me to like six olive slices on a whole sandwich and threatened to charge me more for extras. It's not like I was asking for a THIRD NAPKIN in a subway or something, but I feel like I should get enough of what I'm ordering to have it in every bite, at least. :colbert:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

http://hackthemenu.com/mcdonalds/secret-menu/2-cheeseburger-meal/

How is this a secret? It's on the menu (at least in some locations). It's got a button on the register. No one is hiding you can get that as a meal. This site is just....does someone really think they're clever for these things?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Trent posted:

This is me. I am now actually considering ordering a "fuckton of olives" at some point.

Subways in Georgia always wanted to limit me to like six olive slices on a whole sandwich and threatened to charge me more for extras. It's not like I was asking for a THIRD NAPKIN in a subway or something, but I feel like I should get enough of what I'm ordering to have it in every bite, at least. :colbert:

Is this a regular thing? Are they at least like complete olive halves or literally a donut slice of olive? If the latter, it boggles my mind that they'd only put 6 in a sandwich. The local Subways just straight up grab a handful of whatever condiments and sprinkle it all over the sandwich...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

http://hackthemenu.com/mcdonalds/secret-menu/2-cheeseburger-meal/

How is this a secret? It's on the menu (at least in some locations). It's got a button on the register. No one is hiding you can get that as a meal. This site is just....does someone really think they're clever for these things?

Well, for that one, the comments are probably truthful in saying it's only actually a menu item in America. Then again, here's a better lifehack: If you're going to get fast food don't go to McDonalds because it's king poo poo on the top of poo poo mountain when it comes to fast food.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

For starters,

quote:

We all know that KFC's Mashed Potatoes are top notch. But what makes the KFC Secret Menu extra special is that you can add mashed potatoes to any item on the menu.

Are you loving kidding me, website?

One slightly less stupid here is that this "secret menu item" consists of asking for someone to put a little of something on something else. DO YOU DARE!?

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
HackTheMenu can't even be trying.

Here are their "Healthy" secret menus - let's look at two of them.

http://hackthemenu.com/in-n-out/secret-menu/whole-grilled-onions/

Adding grilled onions, not sure how that makes it healthy, but it is not the worst thing I've seen.

Let's check out this butterbeer latte from StarBucks...

HackTheMenu posted:

Whole Milk Steamer
2-4 Pumps Caramel Syrup
2-4 Pumps Toffee Nut Syrup
2-4 Pumps Cinnamon Dolce Syrup
Whipped Cream & Salted Caramel Bits
Optional Shots of Espresso
How the hell is this considered healthy?
:shepicide:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

TZer0 posted:

How the hell is this considered healthy?
:shepicide:
I think if they're specifically asking for whole milk right out of the gate, they've pretty much thrown "healthy" out the window.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

I think if they're specifically asking for whole milk right out of the gate, they've pretty much thrown "healthy" out the window.

I don't think that whole milk is the greatest of issues in this scenario. And that's saying something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
For instant mashed potato they're not bad. What kind of loving failure do you have to be not know how to make mashed potatos though that you need to buy them in a bag?

Life hack : Put some potatos in a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes, or until soft, pour out water, add milk and butter to taste, use a fork or potato masher to smoosh it all together, and eat. Bonus hack : add cheese/sour cream.

Anyways, its right there at KFC under sides, and the meal deals always say "with choice of sides".

I remember hearing that a lot of fast food places are no longer permitting these off menu items because A) they take longer to make and b) not all staff are familiar with them, if at all anyone.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I remember hearing that a lot of fast food places are no longer permitting these off menu items because A) they take longer to make and b) not all staff are familiar with them, if at all anyone.

Depends on the fast food place and the item in question. Like the BK Veggie isn't listed the menu (at least anywhere I've been), but you can pretty much order it at any Burger King and they don't really care because it doesn't take long to make.

Something like the taco salad at Chipotle where it takes extra steps and what not, I could see them pretty much telling the customer to go gently caress themselves in service industry speak.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

pandaK posted:

Is this a regular thing? Are they at least like complete olive halves or literally a donut slice of olive? If the latter, it boggles my mind that they'd only put 6 in a sandwich. The local Subways just straight up grab a handful of whatever condiments and sprinkle it all over the sandwich...

One of my best friends worked at Subway for three or four years while in college. She said that "sandwich artists" are limited to how much of any single item they put on the sandwich. I can't remember if it was a decision made by the franchise's owner or if it was at the corporate level, but I'm guessing it's the former. It was weirdly specific, too: like four pickles, six olives, ten leaves of spinach.

I have no idea if that was unique to her location, but I'm guessing it's probably not uncommon.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CJacobs posted:

Well, for that one, the comments are probably truthful in saying it's only actually a menu item in America. Then again, here's a better lifehack: If you're going to get fast food don't go to McDonalds because it's king poo poo on the top of poo poo mountain when it comes to fast food.

If you're going to get fast food, you already don't give a gently caress about your arteries and just want something drowning in salt, fat, oil, and/or sugar.

McDonalds has just as much salt/fat/oil/sugar as everything else, so I don't see what's wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

bringmyfishback posted:

One of my best friends worked at Subway for three or four years while in college. She said that "sandwich artists" are limited to how much of any single item they put on the sandwich. I can't remember if it was a decision made by the franchise's owner or if it was at the corporate level, but I'm guessing it's the former. It was weirdly specific, too: like four pickles, six olives, ten leaves of spinach.

I have no idea if that was unique to her location, but I'm guessing it's probably not uncommon.

I worked at Subway for awhile, and yeah we were only supposed to put that many olives on there.

I didn't give a poo poo and just put however many I picked up in a small handful if they wanted them. They didn't pay me enough to care.

Also usually gave a bit of extra meat if the manager wasn't there.