Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I hope the next iphone scandal is that they are filled with the ebola virus, so I can combine this thread with one of my favorite GBS threads.

MrNonacho posted:

Happening to me too.

I've asked my coworkers and no one else seems to have the half-loading picture issue. I notice it happens on the same pictures every time though. Maybe I'll just take it to the apple store during lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

nate fisher posted:

Jesus Christ I just visited the denim thread. The first few pages seemed fine (I could care less about selvedge jeans) so I skipped to the end, and I swear to God some Goon is wearing his jeans in the bathtub to get them to fit. You got me on that one.

This is actually a really cool and fun part of denim ownership, though you can accomplish the same result by wearing them in the ocean for a bit.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Bottom Liner posted:

You guys are trying real hard to make it sound like only hipsters with skinny jeans and back pocket phone carriers are capable of bending the phones, yet someone in this very thread with "normal" pants claims he has a slight bend already. No iPhone before this had this issue, so you can't tell everyone to just be extra careful all of a sudden. The video makes it clear that it doesn't take a ridiculous amount of force to cause it, so I think this might be a serious design flaw. When enough users have a problem that kinda ruins a device, it stops being their fault and becomes an issue with the device. And mark my words, this issue will get much bigger very quickly as the next shipments of 6+s get out in the world, as they were pretty limited at release and this is already a huge PR disaster. I'm curious what Apple will say/do, once the mainstream media makes a fuss about it they will have to do some damage control.

No phone before this you say?
http://www.cultofmac.com/297404/get-bent-shocking-history-bent-smartphones/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Iphone 4s
Iphobe 5, 5s
Galaxy s4
Xperia z1
Evo
Bb Q10
Oppo

Ipod touch http://youtu.be/VDOfsVdB2Tk

gohmak fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 24, 2014

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

I just wanna see Tim Cook make a press statement that's just "stop bein' fat lol"

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

various cheeses posted:

I've asked my coworkers and no one else seems to have the half-loading picture issue. I notice it happens on the same pictures every time though. Maybe I'll just take it to the apple store during lunch.

It's happening on my wife's 5s and my iPad Air too, so it's likely some issue with iOS 8. I think part of the problem is that once an image fails to load completely, it still gets cached as if it was, so even refreshing won't load the whole thing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I will not discount the bending thing but folks pointing to the bending video on YouTube need to stop referring to it as "easily bent". The dude is white knuckling it. I'm pretty sure I can white knuckle bend my iPhone 5.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 24, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Mister Fister posted:

Posted this elsewhere because people seem to think it's impossible to bend your 6+ if you put it in your front pocket, even with skinny jeans:
You've got some hosed up thighs if there's a noticeable curve in them.

Also this happens every single time a new iPhone is released and every single time it dies down after a couple weeks.

Antenna-gate
Scuff-gate
Bend-gate

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It wouldn't be a new iPhone if people weren't hand-wringing over some fatal flaw Apple built into the device.

People love to get mad about stupid poo poo!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

As someone who finds the regular iPhone6 too big (though I'll probably get one) , I'm amazed that many people are putting the Plus in their pockets to begin with. Regardless of durability that sounds uncomfortable as hell unless you always wear cargo pants or something.

I assumed most people who were buying the plus carry a bag with them or put it on a belt clip.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In response to Bend-ghazi, Apple should release something like a shoulder holster for the 6/6+.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You've got some hosed up thighs if there's a noticeable curve in them.

All thighs have a curve. It's a muscle. What the gently caress kind of thighs do you have?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

This a titty

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

This a titty

One time I put my phone in my breast pocket and my rock-hard pecs crushed the phone like a potato chip.

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

This a titty

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

MrNonacho posted:

It's happening on my wife's 5s and my iPad Air too, so it's likely some issue with iOS 8. I think part of the problem is that once an image fails to load completely, it still gets cached as if it was, so even refreshing won't load the whole thing.

I don't know that it's cached. The same pictures had the problem even after I wiped all the safari data. I'm probably going to backup/reset it on my lunch break.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

All thighs have a curve. It's a muscle. What the gently caress kind of thighs do you have?

Where's the part that causes a noticeable bend in my cell phone?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

You're not serious, right?

You see the folds in the material as the pants curve around the hamstring? That's cause by the curvature of the leg. Same thing happens on the top of the thigh. Your phone is flat, your legs aren't...

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

The iPhone Thread: This a titty

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

You're not serious, right?

You see the folds in the material as the pants curve around the hamstring? That's cause by the curvature of the leg. Same thing happens on the top of the thigh. Your phone is flat, your legs aren't...
That would make sense if the phone was bending lengthwise, or people were putting their huge phablet phone in their tight jeans pocket SIDEWAYS, but I don't think either of those things are happening here.

eames
May 9, 2009

Can somebody please set up a class-action lawsuit to demand a free apple branded fanny pack for every iPhone 6+ customer. :allears:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

eames posted:

Can somebody please set up a class-action lawsuit to demand a free apple branded fanny pack for every iPhone 6+ customer. :allears:

Put your 6+ in your fanny

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
The phone bending is an intended feature to accompany HealthKit meant to get fat people to thin down their thunder thighs.

Seriously though, that video of the guy bending it is ridiculous. I can snap my MacBook by breaking it over my desk but I'm not making a YouTube video of it and getting linked by the Wall Street Journal.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

maduin posted:

The phone bending is an intended feature to accompany HealthKit meant to get fat people to thin down their thunder thighs.

Seriously though, that video of the guy bending it is ridiculous. I can snap my MacBook by breaking it over my desk but I'm not making a YouTube video of it and getting linked by the Wall Street Journal.

You don't put your macbook in your pocket.

Do you?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'm inventing a case that is basically a splint holding the phone straight. Please invest in my Kickstarter. If you pay for the premium tier I'll tape a wallet to your case before shipping it.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Perick posted:

Please let us know what they do. I'm on the phone with VZW now and he said VZW stores won't have any replacements to give since they're all on backorder. I seem to recall someone here mentioning that Apple stores keep a supply on hand for this type of swap out though.

They confirmed that it's a hardware issue and they're bringing me a new phone right now.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I reset my iphone to factory settings and reloaded the last backup. Pictures seem to load fully now. I guess something went pear-shaped with the original install.

Nope I was wrong.

various cheeses fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 24, 2014

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

smackfu posted:

For non techies who have upgraded to iOS 8, what are the complaints? I can definitely see the camera roll changes... anything else?

iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad mini (all A5 devices with 512MB RAM) may have noticeable performance issues. Maybe iPad 3, as well (it has 1GB RAM, but is still rocking an A5-level CPU).

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just an FYI for people who potentially have hardware problems, iPhone release time is the best time to bring in your phone for any issue you're having. They keep stock of replacements handy for customers having issues, and are more likely to immediately replace it on the spot and send it back to Apple so they can analyze potential problems.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
So Siri lets you easily bypass the lock code/thumbprint deal.

From the lock screen tell Siri to "open safari" or whatever, when the app opens you can simply hit the home button to get access to the entire phone. I've been trying it with different apps & only once did it not work (with Amazon), but I tried it again with that app and was able to bypass the lock code numerous times.

Has it always been this way? Id never used the lock code before having the iPhone 6.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

beanieson posted:

From the lock screen tell Siri to "open safari" or whatever, when the app opens you can simply hit the home button to get access to the entire phone. I've been trying it with different apps & only once did it not work (with Amazon), but I tried it again with that app and was able to bypass the lock code numerous times.

Has it always been this way? Id never used the lock code before having the iPhone 6.

What's actually happening here is when you're activating Siri from the home screen, Touch ID has already read your print (since you're holding the home button for Siri). Open Safari just seamlessly works because your phone is unlocked.

If you want to verify this, go to Settings > Touch ID and turn off the switch that lets you use it to unlock the phone. She will now ask you to unlock your phone first before going to the Safari app.

Pretty cool that it works so seamlessly like this.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

beanieson posted:

Did you ever think that activating Siri with the home button authorizes Touch ID? You're not bypassing the lock code at all. It's using Touch ID. For proof, use Hey Siri to trigger the action instead. Without touching the phone at all, if you say "Hey Siri open Safari" the response is "you'll need to unlock your iPhone first."

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 24, 2014

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Touché iphone, touché...

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Suqit posted:

They confirmed that it's a hardware issue and they're bringing me a new phone right now.

New update. Same problem on the new phone. It turned out to be an issue when AT&T setup the phone initially.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You know that some technology has improved security when the user can unlock his or her phone and not even realize that they are unlocking it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I tried it using my left thumb, which isn't in Touch ID yet, and it says "You'll need to unlock your iPhone first."

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I've got a free upgrade coming up but I wear Levi's 511's size 34x32 which iphone model would be most appropriate for me?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

vyst posted:

I've got a free upgrade coming up but I wear Levi's 511's size 34x32 which iphone model would be most appropriate for me?
Any as long as you don't put it in your back pocket and sit on it.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I am going to kickstart a service where I mail people Brown Recluse spiders so they can necrotize an iPhone-shaped soft tissue hole in their thigh. PROBLEM SOLVED.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

iOS 8.0.1 is out, most notably fixing whatever HealthKit issues there were.

Edit: don't update if you like having cell service or working Touch ID.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

kitten smoothie posted:

iOS 8.0.1 is out, most notably fixing whatever HealthKit issues there were.

Someone update and let us know if their phone still bends.