Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Ahahahaha JackMackerel you cowardly baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
What's bad about trick jumping and special moves? You know the whole finger-puzzles argument is bullshit, like you aren't not good at fighting games because you can't spam special moves with your sausage fingers.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Get Keits on the phone!

Come to think of it, whatever happened to Shootmania?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Get Keits on the phone!

Come to think of it, whatever happened to Shootmania?

dead on arival

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Roobanguy posted:

dead on arival

Probably because nobody wants to play an FPS where all of your "guns" come from some kind of dopey wristband. I need the rotating barrels and tracer rounds of a minigun, or the satisfying action of racking a shotgun, etc. That game wasn't worthy of the title "Shootmania", and I don't give a poo poo what sort of in-game reasons they had for the decision.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also, it was tethered to the abysmal "ManiaPlanet" service.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Nadeo's games also barely exist to anyone outside of Europe, and I was under the impression that they just play QuakeWorld all day.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you have Duke 3D Megaton Edition on Steam, the developer is running a public beta right now that adds gamepad support and moves from SDL1 to 2.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Probably because nobody wants to play an FPS where all of your "guns" come from some kind of dopey wristband. I need the rotating barrels and tracer rounds of a minigun, or the satisfying action of racking a shotgun, etc. That game wasn't worthy of the title "Shootmania", and I don't give a poo poo what sort of in-game reasons they had for the decision.

This is exactly why I couldn't get into Hard Reset. That horrid weapon design and most of the trash enemies being shorter than waist height meant combat was no fun at all.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Kins posted:

If you have Duke 3D Megaton Edition on Steam, the developer is running a public beta right now that adds gamepad support and moves from SDL1 to 2.

Wish they would add some sort of Duke3D TC ease-of-use function. Trying to run single-player TCs in the Megaton Edition is a pain.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Oh man...

Also we have fixed Overlay issues on OSX/Linux.

:toot:

I'm having an issue (OS X 10.9.1) where sometimes, the actual game menu disappears. When I alt-tab out and back in again, it seems to work, but most submenus still fail to render in the middle of gameplay (in other words, I can pick the episode and difficulty before playing just fine, but something like the save/load menu is usually invisible when I'm paused and trying to access it). I just get the revolving logo next to whatever option I'm on.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So I watched this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyIGZAgEeQE

And I wondered. Can you feed SLIGE or OBLIGE "seed" maps to work from? If so, what terrors would result if you gave them wow.wad?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Speaking of Duke Nukem, the main dev behind EDuke32 has managed to get a hold of of the rights for all commercial releases of DN3D. He'll be releasing the PSX-exclusive DN3D maps and content with the official Android version of EDuke32. He'll also see if he can get the PSX content on Megaton as well. Regardless, the unofficial port of the PSX-content to the PC made by users like Fox will be still be released.

He's also been hinting that DN64's content will come with the Android version of EDuke32 as well.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

closeted republican posted:

Speaking of Duke Nukem, the main dev behind EDuke32 has managed to get a hold of of the rights for all commercial releases of DN3D. He'll be releasing the PSX-exclusive DN3D maps and content with the official Android version of EDuke32. He'll also see if he can get the PSX content on Megaton as well. Regardless, the unofficial port of the PSX-content to the PC made by users like Fox will be still be released.

He's also been hinting that DN64's content will come with the Android version of EDuke32 as well.
Well holy hell! I wonder how he managed that - I know he's tight with the current iteration of 3D Realms (what with spelunking through their archives and all) but the studios that did the console ports have all been dead for varying numbers of years.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Its strange, but I absolutely hate the Q3 grenade launcher and refuse to use it, but I love lobbing the secondary attack of the flak cannon into people's faces for the perfect one-hit kill. :shrug:

It's because the Q3 GL is tricky to use and takes practice/experience to be effective with and the Flak Cannon secondary isn't and doesn't.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't remember much, but I unironically loved DN64. Fond memories.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't remember much, but I unironically loved DN64. Fond memories.

I played through the port a few months ago and it's a pretty fun twist on DN3D. Most of the city maps have enough changes to keep you on your toes, and the different arsenal changes the gameplay just enough to make it feel fresh.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I played through the port a few months ago and it's a pretty fun twist on DN3D. Most of the city maps have enough changes to keep you on your toes, and the different arsenal changes the gameplay just enough to make it feel fresh.

Isn't there a wild west level, or am I thinking of another Duke game on the N64?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Isn't there a wild west level, or am I thinking of another Duke game on the N64?

That was Time to Kill, which was on PS1, I think.

e: No you're right, Zero Hour had time travel too. :wtc:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

Someone is porting System Shock into the DarkPlaces Quake engine. Apparently set to release on December 23rd.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/citadel/

I refuse to get excited about this until it's actually released and playable.

Don't get me wrong, SS1 in DarkPlaces would be pretty awesome, but I thought the same thing about SS1 in TSSHP, SS1 in Dark, SS1 in Unreal, SS1 in Goldsrc, SS1 in Doom 3, and SS1 in Source. And every single one of those projects is dead and buried now -- either because they did the easy parts (terrain, sprites, sounds) and then got bogged down and gave up on the hard parts (AI, music, level triggers), or because they were a bit too high-profile and got C&D'd into oblivion by EA before even getting that far.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Zero Hour :wtc:

THAT'S it. Played it to death. Had a blast, can't remember if it's legit good or not.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I used to totally absolutely hate the terrible mouse in menus option for GZDoom, it was the most buggy twitchy pain in the rear end with how it was impossible to use the keyboard in menus while it was turned on. It turns out there's an option to make the mouse work like literally any other game in menus though, you have to turn on touchscreen-like in the mouse option settings. I don't remember seeing that option the last time I looked, but it's perfect and should be the default.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

An Enormous Boner posted:

It's because the Q3 GL is tricky to use and takes practice/experience to be effective with and the Flak Cannon secondary isn't and doesn't.

They both fire in an arc though, so what's the key difference? Is the grenade more unpredictable, more random in its direction or length of bounce?

Flak Cannon secondary is pretty reliable in its arc if I remember, so that's probably it. Also one-shot kill, I don't think a direct grenade to the face hit that hard.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The Q3 GL is a lot weaker, bounces instead of shooting shrapnel, and has a shorter arc (excluding UT3/Unreal 1.) The Unreal one lets you still hurt people if you miss with the grenade, and combined with the bounciness of the primary fire makes the flak cannon at the same time easier to use and yet still a really versatile corner/escape gun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

The Q3 GL is a lot weaker, bounces instead of shooting shrapnel, and has a shorter arc (excluding UT3/Unreal 1.) The Unreal one lets you still hurt people if you miss with the grenade, and combined with the bounciness of the primary fire makes the flak cannon at the same time easier to use and yet still a really versatile corner/escape gun.

Thing is when I use flak cannon, I never really end up using primary, and I never really miss with the secondary. I can consistently nail people right in the head with it, but with the grenade launcher I'm absolute garbage. So that's nothing to do with shrapnel or primary fire, its something to do with how the bounce works.

Its weaker and has a shorter arc, is the point, so its not a rocket substitute in Q3 like it is in UT.

Although part of it was that the grenade just always felt bad, so I never practiced it, so I never got better with it. But that's kinda the point. The flak bounce just feels better, but as was said the grenade is kinda more defensive than offensive. Which is why I don't like it :cheeky: ( I know, I'm bad)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Amethyst posted:

"Skills that fundamentally don't matter to the gameplay"? What the hell does that even mean? This attitude amounts to nothing more than a generalised hostility against competitive game design.

Your magic the gathering analogy makes no sense at all. Video games are a physical activity that test your muscle control and reflexes, a card game is not.

Except no. The actual skills being tested are positioning and area control, the rest of the game should exist to serve that, not the other way around.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The actual skills being tested lol. You're repeating the old "my strategy is supreme if it wasn't for those fingerpuzzles" argument. Timing and execution is important. There isn't a fighting game you can't learn the inputs to in a week of playing, the hard part of execution is things like buffering, negative edging, charge partitioning ect that would be completely removed if inputs were simplified even more than they are now. If you have less inputs, you have less moves and less strategies to employ. This is why many of the earliest fighting games are solved problems at this point. You don't like fighting games and don't play them. Cool poo poo, not sure why the entire genre needs to lose complexity until you can be good at them.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 24, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Why are Terry traps a thing? Is the crossover between Doom modders and 4chan users that big?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Arivia posted:

Is the crossover between Doom modders and 4chan users that big?
Pretty sure GMOTA and some other quality mods have gestated over there before messily birthing into the wider community, so I guess you'd be surprised.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Terry stuff is just some kind of joke thing but I'm pretty sure the bulk of them are just Terry under different aliases.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

And yet no word of the Saturn version's content.

I mean, Urea 51 isn't really exciting, but c'mon, Death Tank.

Komoxdos posted:

I used to totally absolutely hate the terrible mouse in menus option for GZDoom, it was the most buggy twitchy pain in the rear end with how it was impossible to use the keyboard in menus while it was turned on. It turns out there's an option to make the mouse work like literally any other game in menus though, you have to turn on touchscreen-like in the mouse option settings. I don't remember seeing that option the last time I looked, but it's perfect and should be the default.
Oh, so there's a way to make the menus usable with a keyboard again? Because I loathe how I can just have my mouse sitting, completely untouched, but somehow the rotation of the Earth causes it to move a yoctometer, making the keyboard-based menu completely lose focus in lieu of whatever the mouse pointer was hovering over, regardless of its relevancy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

And yet no word of the Saturn version's content.

I mean, Urea 51 isn't really exciting, but c'mon, Death Tank.
Entirely different, polygon-based game engine (same one as Saturn Quake, and Saturn Powerslave, actually!), so they'd have to rebuild everything completely from scratch without the luxury of familiar file formats to use as a base for ripping stuff out to convert.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
When's the next reelism version with Powerslave poo poo coming out

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I knew it was using the SlaveDriver format, it's just, well, :(

Although I really wish somebody knew how the SlaveDriver map format was laid out so somebody could port Powerslave to the PC. Not the Build Engine version that already exists on PC, I mean proper, vaguely-Metroid-esque Powerslave. (Also, the tree-tops bonus level in Quake would be nice.)

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

The Kins posted:

Pretty sure GMOTA and some other quality mods have gestated over there before messily birthing into the wider community, so I guess you'd be surprised.

Terminus also posts there more often than he does here, usually with regards to Demonsteele, and Sgt. Mark pops up and causes shitstorms of drama like nerd fighting over COD and movement does here.

I wonder if someone converted the third-person Duke Nukem shooters to Eduke at any point.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Quake 3 for Dreamcast is the ideal version of Quake 3.

Arivia posted:

So I watched this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyIGZAgEeQE

And I wondered. Can you feed SLIGE or OBLIGE "seed" maps to work from? If so, what terrors would result if you gave them wow.wad?

Currently, OBLIGE et al make sure to check for and fix any of the common map errors that cause rendering problems like that. You'd need to find that stuff in the code and disable it for that.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

JackMackerel posted:

Terminus also posts there more often than he does here, usually with regards to Demonsteele, and Sgt. Mark pops up and causes shitstorms of drama like nerd fighting over COD and movement does here.

I wonder if someone converted the third-person Duke Nukem shooters to Eduke at any point.

You went crying to the mods because people were having a discussion about early FPS games in the early FPS megathread

Keiya posted:

Except no. The actual skills being tested are positioning and area control, the rest of the game should exist to serve that, not the other way around.
Fair enough. When you think about it, i suppose it's unfair that manual aiming is still in the game. Someone could have superior positioning and area control but the designers are too stupid to let him spread his wings and fly because he can't move the mouse properly and aim. All guns should auto aim.

In fact, the whole movement system should be abstracted into an RTS style point and click interface.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 25, 2014

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Amethyst posted:

You went crying to the mods because people were having a discussion about early FPS games in the early FPS megathread
l o loving l dawg.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Isn't the PS2 version a port of the DC version, too?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Of course trickjumping is somehow an inalienable and essential part of arena shooter "competitive play" when one of the most incredibly successful games in the entire genre (UT99) had pretty much none of it except for impact/rocket jumping (which last I checked nobody here has any problem with), the progenitor of the series (Doom) had movement glitches that were only useful in very limited circumstances and didn't involve jumping at all, and John Carmack himself had openly considered patching it out of Quake Live before he quit Id. Clearly we must save the arena shooter from degenerate casual games like Unreal Tournament and Doom II.

And on that note, is Duke Nukem Megaton multiplayer any good? Does anyone play it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

This only applies if you have claws instead of hands.