Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Once I turned it off the call went normally. It is a bit weird because I made and received calls on Friday when I got it and enabled it but today it wasn't working. I was chalking it up to new tech wonkiness. I'll play around with it in the following days and see if it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heldicus
Oct 27, 2004

:stare:............:byodood:

hoobajoo posted:

For every smartphone line added or upgraded (both Edge or 2 year) during Sept, you get 1GB for free for 2 years.

Just in case it helps someone else, I changed from an unlimited data plan when preordering my iphone, but the pre-order portal didn't let me change to a More Everything plan at the time (I believe this is required for the promotion). After I activated, I changed my account to a more everything plan. A couple days later I learned of this promotion, called CS, and was told that I am in fact eligible, and they would have to manually add my extra GB. Said I should see it in 7 days.

dantae
Aug 7, 2003
rar
I currently have an unlimited data plan and my poor Galaxy Nexus is no longer charging at all, so I'm considering upgrading vs attempting to repair.

My contract was up in February of this year, currently paying monthly. My understanding of upgrading is that I can pay full price for any phone and keep the unlimited data or get a subsidized upgrade and be downgraded to capped data. I looked at the Verizon Wireless website and it looks like the only available plans with varying amounts of data are More Everything. Is my understanding correct or am I missing additional options? Also is there a downside to the edge program if I do go with the subsidized upgrade? It seemed like it just divides the price over the length of the contract and you get a monthly discount, I didn't see any mention of interest on the price of the phone or anything but otherwise I don't really see why not to do edge? I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

If I do upgrade, it's likely going to be to the new Moto X that comes out on Friday. Is there any listed full price for this phone yet? I saw a document that listed upgrade prices, no clue whether it's real or not, but it doesn't mention full price.

I do plan to go to the actual verizon store today after work, in case any of the answers to these questions are "go to the store", just trying to figure out what's new since I got my last phone. I read back a few pages but only saw iphone chat, so hopefully did not miss anything obvious. Thanks!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you give up your unlimited and sign a contract they can also give you a 6GB individual data bucket for $30, as a special deal for former unlimited-havers. One more option to consider.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Verizon offered a plan exclusively to unlimited customers that was 6GB of data for the same $30/month as your unlimited plan, not 100% sure it is still available but I think so. The 2014 Moto X starts at $499 subsidized, but the original from 2013 is still an excellent phone if you want to get that instead and keep unlimited.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

dantae posted:

I currently have an unlimited data plan and my poor Galaxy Nexus is no longer charging at all, so I'm considering upgrading vs attempting to repair.

My contract was up in February of this year, currently paying monthly. My understanding of upgrading is that I can pay full price for any phone and keep the unlimited data or get a subsidized upgrade and be downgraded to capped data. I looked at the Verizon Wireless website and it looks like the only available plans with varying amounts of data are More Everything. Is my understanding correct or am I missing additional options? Also is there a downside to the edge program if I do go with the subsidized upgrade? It seemed like it just divides the price over the length of the contract and you get a monthly discount, I didn't see any mention of interest on the price of the phone or anything but otherwise I don't really see why not to do edge? I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

If I do upgrade, it's likely going to be to the new Moto X that comes out on Friday. Is there any listed full price for this phone yet? I saw a document that listed upgrade prices, no clue whether it's real or not, but it doesn't mention full price.

I do plan to go to the actual verizon store today after work, in case any of the answers to these questions are "go to the store", just trying to figure out what's new since I got my last phone. I read back a few pages but only saw iphone chat, so hopefully did not miss anything obvious. Thanks!

There is more everything with it's tiered data, single line plans line the promo 2 gig of data, unl talk + text for $60.

Edge can be cool, depending on how much data you have. 8 or less, $10 discount, 10 or more, $25 discount.

You pay per month for the full cost of the phone, not the subsidized price. So if the full cost is $600, divide that by 20 payments, means your paying $30 a month. With 10 gigs of data, minus$25 means an easy $5 a month. With less than 10, you're paying $20 a month. It can add up quick with multiple phones on edge.

The edge/next/jump plans are actually pretty smart. Certain customers pay less up front, and then a between $3-$7 a month on a phone, where they can get a new one after a year automatically, or sooner if they want to pay more. And carriers and manufactures sell more phones. Anyone else notice how a phones life is about 2 years? Isn't that hosed up? Our parents didn't buy a computer or corded phone thinking they'd have to get a new one every 2 years.

In a year or two, the two year contract won't even be an option.

You wanna know what's hosed? My indirect constantly has sales on phones and tablets on the 2year price. Free tablet here, $100 back on this phone, that phone. But we have a loving quota for edge! They want 50% of our phones on edge, and all of our tablets, and we are penalized for selling 2year, while at the same time throwing out $50 tablets with a $50 MIR on 2year.

Deep Winter fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 24, 2014

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

2 year contracts aren't going away in the next couple of years.

Sucks but I can tell you they don't know what to do at the upper levels. Tmobile is a legitimate threat now. The next idea is a pitch for the prepaid plans but seeing the plan it will probably be rejected. Sorry sales dudes

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Honestly, their prepaid stuff is ALMOST there. I think it needs a bit more data across the board, but it's not terrible right now. The big place where the prepaid is lacking is equipment. There's just a ton more options for GSM providers along that front and most of the really affordable devices that will work on Verizon's prepaid are CDMA only (like the Moto G). Not having LTE isn't terminal for a GSM carrier since HSPA+ has usable data rates. EVDO is nearly useless now though so having a CDMA only smartphone really hurts.

My mom just switched to a smartphone from a flip phone and with that transition she went off Verizon. It really wasn't an issue with the price of the plans, it was the fact that there were just no good options for equipment without shelling out $600 for a top tier LTE flagship. In the end, she bought a Moto G LTE and went with T-Mobile service. If T-Mobile proves not to be good enough, Cricket is always an option for AT&Ts network using the same equipment. Verizon just doesn't have the same flexibility and I couldn't in good faith tell her to buy a CDMA Moto G when there's such a huge gap in speed between EVDO and even HSPA (let alone LTE.)

If Verizon can cultivate a stable of decent but affordable LTE smartphones for their prepaid service (instead of renaming a 2 year old Droid Razr M), then I think they will be a competitive offering.

dantae
Aug 7, 2003
rar

THF13 posted:

Verizon offered a plan exclusively to unlimited customers that was 6GB of data for the same $30/month as your unlimited plan, not 100% sure it is still available but I think so. The 2014 Moto X starts at $499 subsidized, but the original from 2013 is still an excellent phone if you want to get that instead and keep unlimited.

so I wouldn't be able to pay full price for the new Moto X even if I wanted to? That sounds very strange but not altogether surprising.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

dantae posted:

so I wouldn't be able to pay full price for the new Moto X even if I wanted to? That sounds very strange but not altogether surprising.

No, you can pay full price, just like every phone.

dantae
Aug 7, 2003
rar
Ok, that makes more sense. Thanks for everyone's help!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I don't understand, I currently have a smart phone with data, and my plan is 90 bucks a month for 2 gigs of data. Then I stumble across this:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/shop/shop-data-plans/single-line-data-plans.html

What the hell? Can I get on this plan or is verizon going to block me from changing plans for some reason? Why is this plan so much cheaper than what I currently have.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Knifegrab posted:

I don't understand, I currently have a smart phone with data, and my plan is 90 bucks a month for 2 gigs of data. Then I stumble across this:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/shop/shop-data-plans/single-line-data-plans.html

What the hell? Can I get on this plan or is verizon going to block me from changing plans for some reason? Why is this plan so much cheaper than what I currently have.

You can only switch to it if you're upgrading a device, which I fortunately was last week. A couple of my friends tried to switch without upgrading and they were turned away.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Anybody should be able to switch to it even if they are in contract. Just do it online. If they aren't helpful just initiate chat with a new rep

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

You can only switch to it if you're upgrading a device, which I fortunately was last week. A couple of my friends tried to switch without upgrading and they were turned away.

Just found out that plan doesn't come with mobile hotspot and unfortunately I need it for work so looks like I am stuck still paying out the rear end for what should be a cheap service.

edit: Wait does this plan eliminate the line access cost?

double edit: Now a different rep is telling me mobile hotspot is included. gently caress THESE loving PEOPLE.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 24, 2014

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
So if a person wanted to exchange an iPhone 6 at a Verizon store for one with more storage, what are the chances of a Verzion store having any 6s of any color in stock this week/month/year?

All the stores in town have their phone numbers forwarding directly to the national customer service line. Which doesn't make me optimistic.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

el_caballo posted:

So if a person wanted to exchange an iPhone 6 at a Verizon store for one with more storage, what are the chances of a Verzion store having any 6s of any color in stock this week/month/year?

All the stores in town have their phone numbers forwarding directly to the national customer service line. Which doesn't make me optimistic.

You can check with the Verizon website. Just say you're a new customer and when you get to shipping method, select in-store pickup.

That said, I've found that every store is sold out of every flavor of 16GB.

64GB can be found but mostly just the Gold color and that's still a big maybe.

No idea on the 128GB.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

So, I just bought an iPhone 6 after having a 4s (and other 3g devices) for quite a long time.

I'm in Washington DC, with 2 bars of LTE service, and I'm getting .7 mbps down, 1.5 mbps up. Is anyone else in DC getting these speeds normally, or is there potentially something going on with my device?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Just found out that plan doesn't come with mobile hotspot and unfortunately I need it for work so looks like I am stuck still paying out the rear end for what should be a cheap service.

edit: Wait does this plan eliminate the line access cost?

double edit: Now a different rep is telling me mobile hotspot is included. gently caress THESE loving PEOPLE.

It does come with Mobile Hotspot. It does eliminate the line access or to be more accurate there is no line access or data cost, it's just 2gigs for $60. You can change without doing a new contract, and are in the middle of one. If they turned people away then they don't know what they are doing, they are assholes, or their system won't let them.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

SgtScruffy posted:

So, I just bought an iPhone 6 after having a 4s (and other 3g devices) for quite a long time.

I'm in Washington DC, with 2 bars of LTE service, and I'm getting .7 mbps down, 1.5 mbps up. Is anyone else in DC getting these speeds normally, or is there potentially something going on with my device?

What part of DC? I usually get 4-5 bars and 30+ in Crystal City/Pentagon City/Arlington

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

this_is_hard posted:

What part of DC? I usually get 4-5 bars and 30+ in Crystal City/Pentagon City/Arlington

Right now I'm at work in L'enfent Plaza, so not terribly far from you. I haven't tried it at home in Logan Circle because I'm on wifi there.

Edit: Did a Network Settings reset, and now I'm getting 3.24 down, 1.66 up. Better!

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 24, 2014

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Deep Winter posted:

It does come with Mobile Hotspot. It does eliminate the line access or to be more accurate there is no line access or data cost, it's just 2gigs for $60. You can change without doing a new contract, and are in the middle of one. If they turned people away then they don't know what they are doing, they are assholes, or their system won't let them.

Mobile Hotspot doesn't work for me on the Single Line plan.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do I go about changing to that? Just using chat rep?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Mobile Hotspot doesn't work for me on the Single Line plan.

Hmm, looks like I was wrong about that. Sorry! It's standard as part of More Everything. It's weird, you get an edge discount on the single line, but not mobile hotspot. You could probably add it for $30/month, but at the price you could do a regular 2gig plan.

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

Deep Winter posted:

You can change without doing a new contract, and are in the middle of one. If they turned people away then they don't know what they are doing, they are assholes, or their system won't let them.

technically, the actual restrictions on that plan say that you have to be doing an upgrade at the time, or at least they did the last time I saw. there's no actual system restriction against doing the plan change whenever, but you're not officially supposed to.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I just caught up with the thread and read us unlimited-data-havers might have still available a 6GB/m for $30 plan. Does anyone know if this plan includes mobile hot spot or not?

It seems like a cheaper plan, too. I've been paying for voice and unlimited data (no texting plan). Is it really so that whatever plan includes the 6GB/m for $30 would also include unlimited texting (would no longer have to use Google Voice), and be cheaper overall? Not having to shamefully jailbreak to use tethering would be awesome, too.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

yamdankee posted:

I just caught up with the thread and read us unlimited-data-havers might have still available a 6GB/m for $30 plan. Does anyone know if this plan includes mobile hot spot or not?

It seems like a cheaper plan, too. I've been paying for voice and unlimited data (no texting plan). Is it really so that whatever plan includes the 6GB/m for $30 would also include unlimited texting (would no longer have to use Google Voice), and be cheaper overall? Not having to shamefully jailbreak to use tethering would be awesome, too.

No. Your data bucket is $30 right now. The 6gb data bucket is also $30. Your plan cost would stay the same, as would the features. Still no text, still 450min, still no hotspot.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

yamdankee posted:

Nope. There is also a $50/8GB plan for ex-unlimited-havers that includes hotspot.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

kitten smoothie posted:

Nope. There is also a $50/8GB plan for ex-unlimited-havers that includes hotspot.

I'm guessing it's too late to switch to any of these if I had to buy a new phone and push off unlimited a year ago and never got offered anything similar?

I have a 6GB plan and would love something a bit cheaper but can't really go any lower on data since I kept hitting my cap. Right now it's $80 for the data +$30 or $40 for the phone so winds up being ~$130/mo after fees.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

SeaborneClink posted:

No. Your data bucket is $30 right now. The 6gb data bucket is also $30. Your plan cost would stay the same, as would the features. Still no text, still 450min, still no hotspot.

Sorry, I left out an important detail - there are 4 lines on my account. 2 are unlimited and 2 are 2GB/m. All of them are paying $30/m for their data. $30/m for my unlimited, $30/m for my wife's unlimited, $30/m for additional line's 2GB, $30/m for last additional line's 2GB. So if we consolidated to one, 6GB bucket - that would be a considerable savings would it not?

Edit:

kitten smoothie posted:

Thanks for this. I will ask about that, too!

Edit 2: Nevermind, that 6GB is not shared!

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 25, 2014

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So how many of you goons are grabbing the new Moto X tomorrow? 16GB or 32GB?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

While the moto x is cool and I like mine if I were a betting man I would wait for a spiritual successor to the maxx. Maybe something more rugged, a better battery that lasts longer and charges faster

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I hope they release a MAXX w/ 64GB of storage or an SD card slot.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Do Verizon android phones still suck at group/mms messaging? I'm up for an upgrade, but I googled "LG g3 mms verizon" and lots of people having issues or wonky works arounds like turning off wifi.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

FordPRefectLL posted:

I hope they release a MAXX w/ 64GB of storage or an SD card slot.

Oh my god yes

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

compton rear end terry posted:

Do Verizon android phones still suck at group/mms messaging? I'm up for an upgrade, but I googled "LG g3 mms verizon" and lots of people having issues or wonky works arounds like turning off wifi.

My wife uses them constantly with her social group without apparent issue. She's using hangouts on a Note 2, so I can't vouch for anything related to the G3.

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.

I didn't realize this was a thing. My aunt upgraded to an S4 recently and every time she responds to a group message it sends a reply to everyone, but in her own personal thread with them and splits her off into a bunch of different conversations. It's driving me insane.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Hoping that the Nexus 6/X hits Big Red. If it doesn't, I'll need a new forum home ;_;

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

To send a group MMS I have to turn the WiFi off on my Maxx, however it works fine on my Lumia Icon.

cuedotcom posted:

Hoping that the Nexus 6/X hits Big Red. If it doesn't, I'll need a new forum home ;_;

I'm fairly sure that it's a given VZW won't be getting another Nexus device after the way they handled the Galaxy Nexus.

Edit: phonepostin

JayKay fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Knifegrab posted:

So I'm heading this weekend to a Verizon store to upgrade to a 6, and I want this; I'm currently on the same plan as Knifegrab, 2gb, ~$90. When I ask for it do I just ask for the "$60 single line plan"? Also, I'm planning to do the $200 trade-in with my 4s (plus $100 for the 64gb), which is still in great condition. Will I have any trouble combining these two deals?

• Locked thread