Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Maybe wait for the Ar Tonelico 2 Relocalization Project to finish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hopefully they're actually fixing it and not 'fixing' it like that FF7 retranslation guy who thinks it should be Crime Hazard and that Cait Sith should be replaced with his original character.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

its not necessarily creepy in the usual way since she's like 30 but the fact that threia's boobs bounced every time she entered or exited a scene was kind of weird in escha and logy

yeah her breasts have an initial velocity whenever she's spawned in a scene its kind of funny considering nothing else in the game has that kind of physics applied to it

escha and logy is a really really great game and i would recommend it to anyone that likes jrpgs. but boy is that cast loving chatty as hell, at some point i just decided to skim it instead of read the exposition of every god drat character in every scene

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I have no played AT3 so it is possible I may need to redo my math to compensate for this staggering new information!

AT3 is so much worse.
Like, I could put aside the creepy stuff in the first two games for the fun gameplay but 3 not only intensified the creep factor, the gameplay became so much worse too that nothing redeemed it.

So E&L is like a 0, AT 1 is a 6-7, AT 2 is a 10, AT 3 is like 27 and Star Ocean 4 is 30 on the creepiness scale.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Hopefully they're actually fixing it and not 'fixing' it like that FF7 retranslation guy who thinks it should be Crime Hazard and that Cait Sith should be replaced with his original character.

Not quite as bad as that but it's still pretty drat bad.

edit: actually the example I used here is false, but just about every other post I randomly click on and check has a commenter pointing out how stilted or incorrect the retranslation is, so I'm still going with my original sentiment.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The third girl's cosmospheres (well okay, only in the second and third games) gimmick is that the protagonist's memories and personality are sealed and replaced with those of someone else for the duration of the visit.

Those visits are the only way to advance the relationship between the protagonist and third girl, there's nothing in the real world - no chemistry or even semi-romantic interaction. Because the memories and personality are replaced I can't identify those two separate protagonist characters as the same person.

Not sure I can agree with your logic at least for AT2. The alternate personality is only in play for the first five levels of the Cosmosphere (and technically the last one but that's beside the point), and the girl in question pretty much says she's screwing around with the party. But for some reason the actions Croix takes in the Cosmosphere start reaching her actual personality, hence (Ar tonelico 2 spoilers) the worldview cracking and breaking during later levels. This makes the girl consider actually letting Croix in, which she does, resulting in the latter half of her Cosmosphere.

AT3 I haven't actually played that far into yet and since I'm actually taking the sanity loss and playing it I'm not going to reread the archives for it, so I'll guess I'll let you have it.

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 25, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Holy poo poo, Yuri added another corrupt noble to his body count :allears:. I was actually expecting Cumore to be a major boss battle, given his fancy outfit.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Vesperia is only available on the 360 in the states right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leper Residue posted:

Vesperia is only available on the 360 in the states right?

Yup. The PS3 version only got a Japan release.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yup. The PS3 version only got a Japan release.

Boo, you guys talking up the main protag being a badass got me interested but I don't have a 360. Guessing the japan release was an actual japanese release and not one of those lucky ones that got like english subs cause of china or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, no english subs. There are people working on an English patch but they've been at it for like five years at this point.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Holy poo poo, Yuri added another corrupt noble to his body count :allears:. I was actually expecting Cumore to be a major boss battle, given his fancy outfit.

You've been posting about Tales here for a while now. You should post in the Tales thread, which very much exists! We won't bite.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Has anyone played NAtURAL DOCtRINE (no idea why it's written this way) for PS3/PS4/Vita yet? I caught this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSswIG-BXfQ and discovered it's apparently out. I guess it's like a fantasy anime Xcom sort of game? They really seem to be pushing how difficult it is. It kind of looks lovely but interesting at the same time. It also appears to be 20 dollars more expensive on PS4 but with no apparent upgrades to the other versions. Is it worth the price of entry or should I wait for a sale?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Levantine posted:

Is it worth the price of entry or should I wait for a sale?

You'd probably have to wait a week for an actual release, first. All I know is that it started out so hard Japanese players rioted about it in product reviews and it got pretty promptly patched down.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Stelas posted:

You'd probably have to wait a week for an actual release, first. All I know is that it started out so hard Japanese players rioted about it in product reviews and it got pretty promptly patched down.

Ah, you're right - it looks like it's out on the 30th. I've done what reading I can on it and it sounds like it's a "wait and see" title. I like the concept in theory, but the interface looks like a mess and it's far from a next-gen looking title. Maybe it'll end up a PS+ game at some point.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Levantine posted:

Has anyone played NAtURAL DOCtRINE (no idea why it's written this way) for PS3/PS4/Vita yet? I caught this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSswIG-BXfQ and discovered it's apparently out. I guess it's like a fantasy anime Xcom sort of game? They really seem to be pushing how difficult it is. It kind of looks lovely but interesting at the same time. It also appears to be 20 dollars more expensive on PS4 but with no apparent upgrades to the other versions. Is it worth the price of entry or should I wait for a sale?

It looked interesting enough that I might get it for the Vita.

The PS4 version has exclusive DLC. But you have to buy that, so I don't know why the base game would cost more.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
So I finally got around to playing through Chrono Cross, and holy poo poo, the game was a lot better than I was expecting. A lot of goon opinions (especially when the LP was going) seem to compare it to a wet fart passing through an onion or that it killed their childhood or whatever hyperbole they wanted to use. I mostly enjoyed the soundtrack, the rather pretty graphics for a PS1 era game, the combat system that really didn't require you to grind at all, and the element grid. The amount of useless characters was weird, but I never felt I had to get them. The game also had some measure of difficulty, which I liked.

Probably the only downside to the game was the sort-of-hard to follow plot, which probably would have done a lot better if it had cut references to Chrono Trigger completely. And needing to have Kid or Fargo in my party nearly all the time, because stealing is so good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, it's kind of hard to deassociate Cross from Trigger. Cross isn't a terrible game, but imagine if you were a kid who thought Trigger was the best thing ever and then you heard they were making a sequel!

And then they made Cross.

The general consensus on it is pretty understandable in that context.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh, it has a lot more problems than that. A 3-person party where one person is basically obligated and the second might as well be is a really dumb idea. Doubly so in a game with a huge cast. The weird half-assed implementation of double/triple techs is just lazy design and probably a side effect of that three-person party. You might not have to grind but they did a lot to make combat just less fun than it could be. The branching plot is a neat idea but tied to a remarkably stupid choice which basically ties a bunch of cool characters behind a "Do you want to be kind of an rear end in a top hat for no real reason? Y/N" choice and then has that choice be effectively meaningless anyway.

It has a great soundtrack, really nice graphics for the PS1 and a lot of good ideas but it just has so many drat problems too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've never really liked three-man parties in general. Once one goes down in a boss fight it's a panic rush to get them back up while hand-holding the other two to keep them healthy.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've never really liked three-man parties in general. Once one goes down in a boss fight it's a panic rush to get them back up while hand-holding the other two to keep them healthy.

More games should ape Suikoden (the good ones) and do larger parties.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Fair enough, but the three-person party was unfortunately a staple of PS1-era games. I did personally enjoy Chrono Cross more than the PS1 Final Fantasy games (barely more than IX, which was a good game).

My next game I'm going to play through is Xenogears. I never actually played any of the Xeno games (except Xenoblade Chronicles, if that even counts), so I'm looking forward to it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Colgate posted:

So I finally got around to playing through Chrono Cross, and holy poo poo, the game was a lot better than I was expecting. A lot of goon opinions (especially when the LP was going) seem to compare it to a wet fart passing through an onion or that it killed their childhood or whatever hyperbole they wanted to use. I mostly enjoyed the soundtrack, the rather pretty graphics for a PS1 era game, the combat system that really didn't require you to grind at all, and the element grid. The amount of useless characters was weird, but I never felt I had to get them. The game also had some measure of difficulty, which I liked.

Probably the only downside to the game was the sort-of-hard to follow plot, which probably would have done a lot better if it had cut references to Chrono Trigger completely. And needing to have Kid or Fargo in my party nearly all the time, because stealing is so good.
I would definitely rate it up there as a standout in the obviously solid PS1 RPG library. Once you get out of the mindset that it's a Trigger sequel (and that you don't really need to recruit extra characters) it gets a lot more enjoyable. I didn't give it a chance for several years for all of the usual reasons and wound up loving it when I finally played it all the way through.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm weak. I caved and bought Ar Nosurge since I happened to see it.

So far, barring two EXTREMELY creepy CGs near the start of the game, this seems lower on the creep-o-meter than Qoga. But these games have a tendency of ramping up their creep factor, so it remains to be seen if things will change. Also, every pre-release talk about it lied, you really really need to know about Ciel Nosurge to be able to understand anything in the story. Thankfully, JRPG fans are massive spergs, and thus there are two different summaries of different levels of depth and length for it, so I was fine reading the shorter one.

Gameplay and such seems fine and all, some odd decisions here and there but definitely more fun than Qoga was. QA is hilariously bad though, all NPC dialog is garbled in a very very noticeable way (basically, most NPCs have two windows of dialog, but someone hosed up and so every NPC in the area says the second line of their dialog and the first line of a different NPC after that.), and sometimes dialog in the not-Cosmospheres gets kinda confusing. They really needed an extra editing pass.

It seems fine FOR NOW barring those two CGs, but as I said, this poo poo tends to ramp up hard. I'll keep you guys informed of its level on the scale after I'm a bit further into it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

QA is hilariously bad though, all NPC dialog is garbled in a very very noticeable way (basically, most NPCs have two windows of dialog, but someone hosed up and so every NPC in the area says the second line of their dialog and the first line of a different NPC after that.)

Wait, seriously? How the gently caress do you make a mistake that bad? :psyduck:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, seriously? How the gently caress do you make a mistake that bad? :psyduck:

This is the same series that had a gamebreaking bug that crashed the game if you didn't beat a boss by the third turn. It's kind of to be expected. At least it's just random NPC's so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

This is the same series that had a gamebreaking bug that crashed the game if you didn't beat a boss by the third turn. It's kind of to be expected. At least it's just random NPC's so far.

Yeah, but they apologized for that. I figured they would at least go "hm, yes, we appear to have hosed up the dialogue, maybe we should see what is pushing all the lines one step up" before release. :psyduck:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but they apologized for that. I figured they would at least go "hm, yes, we appear to have hosed up the dialogue, maybe we should see what is pushing all the lines one step up" before release. :psyduck:
Between this and SAO, it's not exactly a good year for translations.

Since it's probably a coding problem instead of a complete 'we'd have to tear the translation apart from the ground up' like with SAO, hopefully they can patch it.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
The worst part of Cross is that is has an amazing soundtrack but such horrendous battle music.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, it looks like it was Tecmo-Koei. What the gently caress, guys, you don't even have the NISA excuse. You really need to step up this translation game.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

So far, barring two EXTREMELY creepy CGs near the start of the game, this seems lower on the creep-o-meter than Qoga. But these games have a tendency of ramping up their creep factor, so it remains to be seen if things will change. Also, every pre-release talk about it lied, you really really need to know about Ciel Nosurge to be able to understand anything in the story. Thankfully, JRPG fans are massive spergs, and thus there are two different summaries of different levels of depth and length for it, so I was fine reading the shorter one.

Gameplay and such seems fine and all, some odd decisions here and there but definitely more fun than Qoga was. QA is hilariously bad though, all NPC dialog is garbled in a very very noticeable way (basically, most NPCs have two windows of dialog, but someone hosed up and so every NPC in the area says the second line of their dialog and the first line of a different NPC after that.), and sometimes dialog in the not-Cosmospheres gets kinda confusing. They really needed an extra editing pass.

It seems fine FOR NOW barring those two CGs, but as I said, this poo poo tends to ramp up hard. I'll keep you guys informed of its level on the scale after I'm a bit further into it.

I've been enjoying it pretty well so far (apart from said Minor NPC dialogue bug, hope that gets patched soon), but I'm kind of confused about ranking for combat. I'm getting nothing but B's no matter how well I do or how bad I screw up, with the exception of one A and I don't know what I did differently for that.

Am I not supposed to be holding off on the song magic to wipe out the entire area's waves in one shot?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

So far, barring two EXTREMELY creepy CGs near the start of the game, this seems lower on the creep-o-meter than Qoga.

Yeah, those two CGs were what I had in mind when I commented earlier, but Nay's and Prim's designs are quite cringeworthy, too.

I've been enjoying the setting thus far, but it feels like they haven't really fully committed towards actually making the game an RPG: the dungeons are tiny and boring, and while there seems to be a lot of (poorly explained in game, maybe I should try the booklet) depth to battle system the battles are just dead easy. Maybe I should try what seems to be suggested a lot and bump the difficulty up (from normal), since I seem to be spending all my time in synthesis dialogs.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Icedude posted:

I've been enjoying it pretty well so far (apart from said Minor NPC dialogue bug, hope that gets patched soon), but I'm kind of confused about ranking for combat. I'm getting nothing but B's no matter how well I do or how bad I screw up, with the exception of one A and I don't know what I did differently for that.

Am I not supposed to be holding off on the song magic to wipe out the entire area's waves in one shot?

I have no idea how it works, either. I'm far enough that I mostly get A's now, playing on Veteran (even Hard was a bit too easy for everything but the rare boss encounter). I think you just need to have better stats to be able to get better ranks or something. No real clue.

I don't know if its the fairly shoddy translation, the lack of having played the previous game, or just me being dumb, but most not-Cosmospheres are kind of incomprehensible as to what I'm actually doing so far as the girls personalities. The decision to shift focus from two-three characters to making basically every girl have at least one level of not-Cosmosphere is kinda odd as well.

I do like that BOTH protagonists are completely lost in the plot, tho. Makes me feel better when one of my dialog options is the equivalent of "What even the gently caress is going on?"

E: ^^^^ Yeah, Normal is just totally braindead. Switch it up to AT LEAST Hard if you want to have to use any strategy at all.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
From what I've read of Ar NoSurge you pretty much get solid B's until later in the game when you do stronger magic, or on higher difficulties.

As far as creep factor, it's no Ar Tornelico Qoga, but it's still up there. In order to install bonus star crystals you have to get into a "purification" site where the girl has to strip down to her underwear and the guy can just sit there in shorts and a t-shirt. Nay, Prim and some other NPC's have very questionable outfits as well. If you could handle Qoga this game isn't on that level, but this is still not a game anyone should pick up if you don't want dumb fanservice anime.

Also the localization is poo poo, and I wish NISA still had GUST games because while they hosed up in the past they got better and actually seemed to care. Danganronpa is amazing and shows how much NISA has improved. KT put in a garbage effort here.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Black Stones posted:

From what I've read of Ar NoSurge you pretty much get solid B's until later in the game when you do stronger magic, or on higher difficulties.

As far as creep factor, it's no Ar Tornelico Qoga, but it's still up there. In order to install bonus star crystals you have to get into a "purification" site where the girl has to strip down to her underwear and the guy can just sit there in shorts and a t-shirt. Nay, Prim and some other NPC's have very questionable outfits as well. If you could handle Qoga this game isn't on that level, but this is still not a game anyone should pick up if you don't want dumb fanservice anime.

Also the localization is poo poo, and I wish NISA still had GUST games because while they hosed up in the past they got better and actually seemed to care. Danganronpa is amazing and shows how much NISA has improved. KT put in a garbage effort here.

Oh I dunno. I still wouldn't exactly play this in public, but I also wouldn't want to play Bayonetta in public. Besides those two CGs and Nay's ridiculous outfit, I think this game is pretty low on the fanservice. Even the purification scenes are supposed to be swimsuits and not underwear, though the difference is mostly academic. I just hope I can figure out how to finish Ion's first Genometrics soon, not because of Ion herself, but because I want to see if Earthes puts on a swimsuit for Purification. I hope he does, but I expect he doesn't.

Seriously though what is the deal with Ion's Genometrics? It seems completely impossible.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

So far, barring two EXTREMELY creepy CGs near the start of the game, this seems lower on the creep-o-meter than Qoga. But these games have a tendency of ramping up their creep factor, so it remains to be seen if things will change.

"Man I think this game will be really creepy and it already really is and games like this have a history of it but

Uh

I'd better keep playing it you know just in case it might not be creepy you know?"

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Widestancer posted:

"Man I think this game will be really creepy and it already really is and games like this have a history of it but

Uh

I'd better keep playing it you know just in case it might not be creepy you know?"

I enjoy the games despite the creepiness. Doesn't mean I can't complain about it. I have no problems saying I enjoyed AT1 and AT2, and those had some creepy poo poo in them too. I just couldn't handle Qoga, which was not only a lovely game, but also put the creepiness into overdrive. That's the reason I'm wary of Ar Nosurge, because I want to see if they learned their lesson about going too far in Qoga, and, so far, it seems to be the case. I'm hopeful, dammit.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I gotta document how creepy this is so that I can tell the internet what its creepy power level is, and to do that I'm gonna play this game and NOT enjoy how creepy it is.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Srice posted:

I gotta document how creepy this is so that I can tell the internet what its creepy power level is, and to do that I'm gonna play this game and NOT enjoy how creepy it is.

*heavy breathing* y yeah

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh I dunno. I still wouldn't exactly play this in public, but I also wouldn't want to play Bayonetta in public. Besides those two CGs and Nay's ridiculous outfit, I think this game is pretty low on the fanservice. Even the purification scenes are supposed to be swimsuits and not underwear, though the difference is mostly academic. I just hope I can figure out how to finish Ion's first Genometrics soon, not because of Ion herself, but because I want to see if Earthes puts on a swimsuit for Purification. I hope he does, but I expect he doesn't.

Seriously though what is the deal with Ion's Genometrics? It seems completely impossible.

It's literally impossible until you can do the genometrics of a couple of other characters --- the ones that one of the test stations asks about --- within her story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

OddObserver posted:

It's literally impossible until you can do the genometrics of a couple of other characters --- the ones that one of the test stations asks about --- within her story.

Ah, I see. That's kind of annoying, considering it means you can't power up Earthes and Ion with crystals until later, and you're stuck with just one song magic. I guess there's no real downside to tossing my DPs into the vending machine in Nelico's Genometrics, then.