Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

RE: Pickaxe Mechanics, it looks like they recently "fixed" those, in the sense that they've changed something they never finalized to begin with. I'm with you on the pickaxe progression being stupid and the matter manip being useless, but the latest version looks like it has pickaxes being small temporary boosts that you just kind of find, while you spend most of your time upgrading the matter manipulator. Who knows about the forced gating mechanics though, they might still be in.

RE: Combat worse than Minecraft, now you're clearly exaggerating and making poo poo up. At the very least, the combat is the same as Minecraft's, which isn't a compliment in the slightest because it's still "touch monster, take damage" which is archaic and unfun.

E:

Tin Tim posted:

Bring back ore surfing or get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
As it stands if Starbound was released right now it'd be an okay game discounting mods, and with mods a pretty okay game imo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Asimo posted:

It's in a store for cash money.

It doesn't matter if they call it an alpha, beta, epsilon, or whatever the gently caress. It's a product that is for sale. "It's a beta!" is not and has never been a valid excuse for a game that is available for immediate purchase and play being bad, and the fact this hardly unique to Starbound doesn't change that.

"I bought a suit from a tailor but he didn't give me anything! What the gently caress! He just said some stupid poo poo about it'd be ready in a week. What a loving scam."

The concept of paying for things in advance is not a novel one.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

"I bought a suit from a tailor but he didn't give me anything! What the gently caress! He just said some stupid poo poo about it'd be ready in a week. What a loving scam."

The concept of paying for things in advance is not a novel one.

It is if he delivers you a suit with a bare midriff and says it's done. The concept of paying for things in advance without a guarantee of getting a finished product without any repercussions to the provider is something rather new.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

"I bought this suit from a tailor, but it doesn't fit and weirdly smells like cheese for some reason. But it's okay, they're a good tailor and they promised to fix it eventually. I mean they never gave a date and their last suggestion was to dye it puce but I'm sure it will be fine eventually!"

I can make meaningless analogies too! :hurr:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nerdz posted:

It is if he delivers you a suit with a bare midriff and says it's done. The concept of paying for things in advance without a guarantee of getting a finished product without any repercussions to the provider is something rather new.

It is, if he does that.

Starbound is at worst, a very slow tailor. Though given that videogames quite often miss their deadlines and take years to make, I guess overly optimistic tailor would be a better analogy.

If it's declared finished while still being half finished and broken I'll agree that it's bad, but that hasn't happened so far so all I can do is wait and see. At the moment it's a messy and unfinished but potentially quite good game, it's advertised as such and all indications are that it's still in the process of being finished. I'm not sure how to complain about the condition of an in-development game.

I have a faint suspicion the developers may have noticed that it's not finished.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 24, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when one of the first patches kneejerked the armor penetration system without seeing how it would work in the endgame and since then they haven't bothered dealing with any of the systems or ui stuff that assumed you'd never have more than 100 health.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
With this next tailored "Patch", we're going to fill your pockets with greasy sludge! But the decision to do this isn't finalized yet so don't bother complaining about it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Asimo posted:

"I bought this suit from a tailor, but it doesn't fit and weirdly smells like cheese for some reason. But it's okay, they're a good tailor and they promised to fix it eventually. I mean they never gave a date and their last suggestion was to dye it puce but I'm sure it will be fine eventually!"

I know the point you're trying to make, in that analogies are by and large dumb, but in this instance you walked into a store, purchased something without inspecting it or doing any research even though you could have clearly smelled the stench at the very least, and now you're complaining about it lol

I'm not being snarky or anything, it's just that you proved your point all to well, that analogies are useless when you try to apply them without consideration

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

it's just that you proved your point all to well, that analogies are useless when you try to apply them without consideration
Yes, thank you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Look, Champions Online was hard on all of us. It's okay. Atari can't get you here.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

A-are you sure...? :ohdear:

And really, 99% of the annoyance over Starbound will go away if and when there's an actual live patch that fixes core issues and adds a degree of content. But there hasn't been that, and mocking the game as it stands is perfectly fine. Because it's all that's there.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No, those fuckers could be anywhere.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure the only reason all this negativity has come out of the woodwork is because it's been such a long time without anything to actually discuss or talk about. It's always been there, the thread's just always been too active because people were talking about mod troubleshooting or servers or discovering secrets or whatever.

I'm glad they're changing the importance of the matter manipulator, and I actually kind of like how pickaxes are supposed to work now, being limited bonuses to your mining effectiveness for a while, here's hoping they can figure out a way to balance it nicely. I don't really care how strong the new picks are, I just don't want the matter manipulator to be slower than what we can do right now.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 25, 2014

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Asimo posted:

You willing took the suit away before the tailor was done with it, after the tailor explicitly said that they were not done with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Matter manipulator/other tools as permanent mining boosts, and picks as power ups is interesting as it offers a potential subversion to the material tier-gating system.

As in, even if your manipulator can't dig it up, you might find a pick that can, which lets you get a limited amount of rare ore to play with.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Evilreaver posted:

With this next tailored "Patch", we're going to fill your pockets with greasy sludge! But the decision to do this isn't finalized yet so don't bother complaining about it.

Some of us like greasy sludge. :colbert: Where do I find this tailor? I have far too many sludge-free pockets.

Eh, I don't know, I'm reserving judgement on this one I'll be pretty annoyed if Chucklefish totally fails to release the full game but, well, software takes a long time to develop and I get the feeling they just overestimated how much they could do in X time. Game development is loving hard and I have other games in the mean time so whatever. This does, however, give me an opportunity to make tremendously awful jokes.

I'm Starbummed the game isn't out yet.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

You willing took the suit away before the tailor was done with it, after the tailor explicitly said that they were not done with it.

Babe Magnet posted:

analogies are useless when you try to apply them without consideration

OwlFancier posted:

Matter manipulator/other tools as permanent mining boosts, and picks as power ups is interesting as it offers a potential subversion to the material tier-gating system.

As in, even if your manipulator can't dig it up, you might find a pick that can, which lets you get a limited amount of rare ore to play with.
It's still a bit silly to be using picks in a space game, but yeah that's not actually a bad way of going about it. Although a lot depends on how it's balanced (amount of uses, time needed to actually dig poo poo up, etc) and whelp.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Man I don't even care about the game being out right now, I just want the next patch. I got modding I want to get back to.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Have they addressed the sector balance problem of going to a new sector, finding the highest-difficulty planet with an airship and buying the strongest possible gun available trivializing the entirety of that sector immediately? I'm not trying to be snarky, I put like 80 hours into the game a year ago because it was fun and have serious questions about the current state of the game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Can I play too? I'm not applying this to anything I just want to make a silly shopping mistakes story.

You bought a new pair of glasses, and then walked out just wearing the frames before your prescription lenses came in to be put in them?

Content, making the manipulator itself the primary focus is promising. Even if they still keep their as of nightly progression for 'what you are allowed to dig' at least then it is still all self contained in one, permanent item that frees up a lot of clutter (and you are not having to work your way up past "Rock attached to a stick". Well, okay there is the stone hoe and stone axe but you never work 'past' those anyway. Diamond Drill became my favorite tree cutter back in stable)

I wonder, considering they mentioned making a separate quick bar for things like the manipulator, wiring tool, paint tool, etc, if they will eventually bundle in all those devices as upgrades to the manipulator, with the hotbar buttons being settings switches?

Though I am more curious what the controls for all the middleground digging sizes will be. 3x3 and hold button for 1x1 was simple. Probably less simple when the Manipulator dig area is supposedly going to get pretty huge. "No, I just want to dig a 5x5 area, I don't' need 1x1 precision or a 10x10 strip mining."

EDIT: vvv I never minded the "50 shades of dirt and rocks" on it's own. Just that with the way things were, dirt, rocks, sand, etc of the SAME COLOR, would be incompatible for stacing because they were from different planets. This was most glaring when I was trying to stack up my sand piles to make glass "Okay I'll just shove a stack of 1000 sand into the... a stack of... :sigh:".

Nevermind the mystery of 'All forms of cobblestone dug up become the same grey cobblestone in your inventory, and when you place it. But also refuse to stack with eachother'. Despite it being a space game, and outlook on "Caveman tier", I still love making log and stone cabins in space :shepface: Though a good part of that is because wood is an easily renewable resource for home expansion. Back in stable, a lego brick was literally worth it's weight in gold bars. 1 gold bar smelted = the pixel cost of 1 lego brick.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 25, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This game is like you bought a swingset, but instead of swings it had hamburgers, and you ate the hamburgers, and then the chef was like "hey, get off the swingset", because the concrete hadn't set yet.
I think this is the best and most accurate analogy.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The other glaring problem from the old alpha was getting 50 shades of dirt in your inventory just from digging anywhere. Have they condensed dirt into a generic single type and let you use it to build whatever type of block you've encountered yet? The millions of subtly-different dirts clogging your inventory made exploration and spelunking a pain because you couldn't actually carry anything without stopping to empty multiple full stacks of sand from your pockets.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dirt Woes: No matter what color dirt you have, you could only make Brown Dirt Blocks.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I thought they gave you the separate inventory for dirts specifically for this reason

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Devour or Fire posted:

Remember when one of the first patches kneejerked the armor penetration system without seeing how it would work in the endgame and since then they haven't bothered dealing with any of the systems or ui stuff that assumed you'd never have more than 100 health.

Why do people play games that are specifically released as alpha or beta and then complain when an alpha or beta patch is broken? Are those people retarded? I think maybe.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
It is they who are broken.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
e: nevermind. I'm just going to watch playstarbound.com for my updates until the next stable.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 25, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chucklefish should've gone the Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon way and made everything neon. Neon pickaxes and bows and guns!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Asimo posted:

It's still a bit silly to be using picks in a space game, but yeah that's not actually a bad way of going about it. Although a lot depends on how it's balanced (amount of uses, time needed to actually dig poo poo up, etc) and whelp.

Aesthetically yeah, but I'm not sure what would be better, terraria kind of does it with its explosives but that would limit its utility a little.

Picks are a sensible limited-use but also controlled option without also doubling as a powerful weapon.

Besides I am holding out a bit of hope for glowing electro-picks or something.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Devour or Fire has been trolling the poo poo out of this thread for a while now. How people take it seriously, or even quote it and argue I'll never understand. He is the Starbound thread's very own Adam Bowen.

I'm curious to see if another burst of molding comes with the next stable release and if so what kinds of crazy stuff is going to come out. We already have some great mods for the current stable and if a ton of new stuff is getting added I can only imagine it'll take off from there.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Saxophone posted:

Devour or Fire has been trolling the poo poo out of this thread for a while now. How people take it seriously, or even quote it and argue I'll never understand. He is the Starbound thread's very own Adam Bowen.
All day every day for a month now. The shitposting will continue until morale improves.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Jackard posted:

All day every day for a month now. The shitposting will continue until morale improves.

Starbowned.

Also when I asked about what happened to the thread, I meant the thread specifically. There was a post about how surprised they were that the devs still posted in the thread after "something" happened and I'm just curious about the hilarious dumb drama because there's gently caress all else that's interesting going on.

Starblowme.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Elth posted:

Starbowned.

Also when I asked about what happened to the thread, I meant the thread specifically. There was a post about how surprised they were that the devs still posted in the thread after "something" happened and I'm just curious about the hilarious dumb drama because there's gently caress all else that's interesting going on.

Starblowme.

4chan made a comic about us! Also they think we actually used the secret forums for its intended function.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

4chan made a comic about us! Also they think we actually used the secret forums for its intended function.

Oh you mean the ~super secret Lowtax's Finest Goon Gents club~ on the official forums? Yeah that was funny. Don't think I've seen the comic though.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Literally Kermit posted:

Wait, they did? Was it the comic about a dude throwing a tantrum for buying early access of a book (One page) and then realising the rest of the book wasn't finished by the time he read it?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Chucklefish should've gone the Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon way and made everything neon. Neon pickaxes and bows and guns!
sounds good

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Gimmie an hour or so, I'll upload it again.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Wait, they did? Was it the comic about a dude throwing a tantrum for buying early access of a book (One page) and then realising the rest of the book wasn't finished by the time he read it?

It was more about a big-nosed charicature of Tiy and goons running away with the money and straight faced usage of the word "Shecklefish".

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Magmarashi posted:

It was more about a big-nosed charicature of Tiy and goons running away with the money and straight faced usage of the word "Shecklefish".

That was 4chan? I thought that was one of the usual shitposters in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The secret clubhouse that is 4chan. The hanging spectre of image boards! The anonymous threat!

It was 4chan as much as it was posted on 4chan, because people around here don't understand how anonymous image boards work. A great many things attributed to 4chan are just reposted from tumblr or twitter artists, including that comic, if I'm thinking of the one people are describing.

Literally Kermit posted:

Anyone in the Starbound threads there that thought there was some actual conspiracy going on in the secret goon forum was soon called out for being an idiot, but conveniently no one ever seems to notice the posts that don't immediately line up with their expectations of something they want to feel victimized by.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 25, 2014

• Locked thread