Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
As somebody who's not really a big player in arpgs like this, I had WAY more fun with Van Helsing than I did with Torchlight 1 or 2. I played and beat both VHs, but gave up 1/2 way through T2. Torchlight felt so spiritless and unengaging.

Van Helsing seems to be very much an arpg that you'dplay once and put away - unless you're one of the crazy people who newgame++++++. I thought its production values were really drat good - it looks good, it's pretty fun (for an arpg) and the banter is plentiful. There are fun little breaks in the standard arpging so you can go do neat little tower defense type levels if you so choose - simplistic, but fun. You can get a dog and level it up and have it bring you some nice gear every so often.

It's not a revolutionary or evolutionary example of the genre, but it's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Not sure if it was mentioned, but a number of Valve games got their soundtracks available for download.
Looks like most HL and Portal games, also something called Free to play.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 25, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Free to Play is a movie about Dota pro players. I always say I'll watch it but I keep forgetting to. Didn't even know it had a soundtrack.

Any opinions on Gas Guzzlers? Just played the demo, seems fun.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Whoa Steam Music is a thing now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well, it sounds like I'd enjoy it to play through at least once. I'll pick up 2 maybe next week after playing through the first game, the voucher doesn't expire until something like October 10th anyway.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

So... How does one actually ADD external music to Steam music?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So has anyone given Defense Grid 2 a try? I can't imagine it's worth the price their asking so definitely waiting for a sale, just wondering how it is and how improved it is over DG1

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

ElegantFugue posted:

So... How does one actually ADD external music to Steam music?

Go to settings, go to music, add the folder where all your music is hidden and tell it to start scanning

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Go to settings, go to music, add the folder where all your music is hidden and tell it to start scanning

Thanks! They should probably make that a liiiiittle more obvious, I think.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Huh, this is actually a pretty good player. Works in game and everything.

All Steam needs to do is start selling music and I guess I won't need to use iTunes at all.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Lambeth posted:

Whoa Steam Music is a thing now.

By 2020 I will have no reason install any program but Steam.

edit: Am I missing something, or does it not scan folders recursively?

Pomp fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 25, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Steam music player doesn't work with the media buttons on my keyboard (or at least, it doesn't yet) so I'll stick to Spotify for now. The feature has existed in the beta for a while, by the way.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Huh, this is actually a pretty good player. Works in game and everything.

All Steam needs to do is start selling music and I guess I won't need to use iTunes at all.

Well they do, but it's all video game music. I just need a bit more ability to modify my music inside steam and I'll be happy. Some of my songs seem to be in there twice and I don't know how to delete the doubles. edit: huh it looks it was scanning correctly, there where just doubles of the file in the folders.

Pomp posted:

I would legit be fine with steam aping vlcplayer next. :v:

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 25, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Pomp posted:

Steam is gonna replace Amazon and start mailing people sustenance pills. This is how Skynet takes over.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Pomp posted:

edit: Am I missing something, or does it not scan folders recursively?

Given that they're still apparently working on their SteamOS Linux distro, that might not be too far from the truth.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, it's not a scanning issue, it just doesn't support FLAC :saddowns:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pomp posted:

Oh, it's not a scanning issue, it just doesn't support FLAC :saddowns:

Get that hippie poo poo out of here.

Not really, why does no actual company support FLAC.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Not sure if it was mentioned, but a number of Valve games got their soundtracks available for download.
Looks like most HL and Portal games, also something called Free to play.

And you have to install the games to get the soundtracks it seems, what the gently caress man. :downs:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just noticed that another bit of DLC was released for Sword Of The Stars: The Pit.. It's the usual stuff - another character, another bunch of enemy and item types, some new features, etc for ~£1.50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF0dWBsqwcY

Much like the original Sword Of The Stars, The Pit started out really wonky and bare-bones, but has grown into a genuinely good and remarkably meaty roguelike. The new DLC requires you to have the Gold Edition upgrade, which was a pretty chunky bit of DLC in of itself. It's a bit confusing, but it's generally best to have everything anyway.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 25, 2014

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ElegantFugue posted:

Thanks! They should probably make that a liiiiittle more obvious, I think.

More obvious than putting the music settings in the Music section of Settings?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There should probably just be a button for it somewhere on the main UI.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Is there anyway to list games that you haven't installed but that have soundtracks?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Get that hippie poo poo out of here.

I'm sure steam will change their mind if you whine at them long enough

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm sure steam will change their mind if you whine at them long enough

FLAC/OGG/etc. support has been requested since they added the player in February or whatever.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kibayasu posted:

Because it competes with their own lossless format and/or because it doesn't have DRM.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

LiftAuff posted:

FLAC/OGG/etc. support has been requested since they added the player in February or whatever.

Steam Music FAQ posted:

What file types does the Steam Music player support?
Steam supports MP3s at this point in time, with support for more file types on the way.

I suppose that's better then nothing.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Guild Wars 2 free trial is going on if anyone had interest in it.
I think I might be interested since I heard combat is supposed to be more action oriented instead of WoW where you just target an enemy and spam hotkey abilities.
I could be wrong though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Deakul posted:

Guild Wars 2 free trial is going on if anyone had interest in it.
I think I might be interested since I heard combat is supposed to be more action oriented instead of WoW where you just target an enemy and spam hotkey abilities.
I could be wrong though.

A lot of goons seemed to think GW2 was some kind of second coming MMO, but I found combat only slightly more interesting than WoW and thought it was a really ugly game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Reason posted:

A lot of goons seemed to think GW2 was some kind of second coming MMO, but I found combat only slightly more interesting than WoW and thought it was a really ugly game.

No one thinks this anymore.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Reason posted:

Every new MMO is the Second Coming, and it always falls short before collapsing into a pit.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I have only ever heard extremely positive or extremely negative opinions on GW2. The positive seems to be that it changes up the MMO formula and makes it so classes aren't strict roles, the negative being that it has really half-assed encounters due to every player basically being DPS. Or so I've heard.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I mean, I bought it when it came out because a friend wanted me to play it with him except that failed to happen, and honestly it might just be because I played WoW for years on end but a non-trinity MMO? I didn't even get to the end game but apparently it wasn't that great, probably because of that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Then I'll be the person who gives a mixed impression of GW2. I really liked it at first and I did manage to get a character to the level cap which I almost never do in MMOs. But then nothing happened, ArenaNet doesn't seem interested in releasing expansions or substantial content patches. And the PVP wasn't as fun as I thought it would be, so it has no replay value for me. I still think I got my money's worth out of it but I gave up on it way sooner than I expected.

edit: I think the combat is sort of in an awkward middle ground between Tera and WoW. I enjoy it more than WoW's combat but not by much and its more twitch style features like dodge rolling don't actually work very well. I also don't like the general dungeon design, nor do I like how inconsistent and lovely doing personal story quests with your friends are (some of them allow for parties to join, some don't). But I do really love the world design and all the stuff they have promoting exploration. And I'm okay with their other quest systems.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 25, 2014

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
So I caved and tried creating one of these fancy schmancy curator pages everyone's goin' on about in hopes of encouraging people to make ones that are less general "games I like" and more specific to a category of games or a niche, like I assumed this whole curation thing was going to help people with.

On that note, here's a linky to my page about games with unique settings in case anyone's interested:

http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6865396/#p1

Vafthrudnir
Apr 6, 2009

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!
GW2 is a very good casual MMO.

Everything is easy, all the PvE and most of the PvP encounters are zergfests, trinity doesn't exist so you have zero responsibility in anything you do.

On the other hand it looks pretty, has no subscription so you can come and go as you please, has lots of cool places to explore, and has a neat story up until the halfway point of the game (and then it turns to poo poo.)

It's the MMO I play in between actual MMOs.

Orv
May 4, 2011
A more resounding endorsement you shall not find.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Does the Music thingy have last.fm integration? This is important!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lance Streetman posted:

I have only ever heard extremely positive or extremely negative opinions on GW2. The positive seems to be that it changes up the MMO formula and makes it so classes aren't strict roles, the negative being that it has really half-assed encounters due to every player basically being DPS. Or so I've heard.

The problem is the other way around, because the bosses are so poorly designed, the only real mechanic for them is raw DPS so that's all anyone ever runs.

I think Vafthrudnir got it covered pretty well, but I'll also add that if you like playing dressup in your MMO, GW2 is also really drat good for that. I think GW2 is a ton of fun to play casually on and off myself, definitely worth trying the free trial if it interests you at all.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

bigass jncos posted:

I made a curator page for bad video games that can easily be facecammed by sociable gamers in their 20s. I'm also looking for other gamehunters to add bad games to the list!! It's over here buddies.

nice curator descriptoin, and good choice of sa avatar source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Just rename the Steam thread to Pewdiepie. Yogscast. Jontron. Notch.

• Locked thread