Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Luigi Thirty posted:

In my county the schools are currently debating whether or not their plan to replace actual police officers in elementary schools (which are too expensive) with armed rent-a-cops is legal or not (which is probably corrupt anyway but that's beside the point), but the Pinellas County school board went right for the police militarization themselves and just bought M-16s from the DoD for school district police use even though they're, you know, not trained for crisis response or anything. :wtc:

Here in San Antonio, the city police were asked what they got from the DoD. They said that "by revealing the details that the entity is required to submit to justify receiving grant money, specific regional response capabilities for San Antonio and the San Antonio Urban Area (SAUA) would be revealed." So because terrorists. They changed their minds when presumably the looked at what they actually received. 353 pieces of cold weather gear; 44 pieces of gym equipment; 15 assault backpacks; 31 gloves*; seven magazine holders; 13 load-bearing vests; five knives; a step stool, storage boxes, medical supplies, a bomb-defusing robot and two LG flat-screen TVs.
I'm afraid what the terrorists are planning to do now that they've learned our police received two tvs from the DoD.

* I hope they don't mean pairs of gloves and somehow the DoD actually sent them an odd number of gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'd be more worried about the cold-weather gear.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

If you only knew how often Mr. Freeze attacks our city when Batman is no where to be found...

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

I'd be more worried about the cold-weather gear.

Global warming is a myth.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

Global warming is a myth.

When you live that far south for several years, anything below 60 might as well be like living in Alaska.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zamin posted:

When you live that far south for several years, anything below 60 might as well be like living in Alaska.

This is why every Minnesotan gets a smug sense of superiority every time there's a rare snowstorm south of the snowline.

Suffer!

Suffer in a frozen hell like we do you shits!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Zeroisanumber posted:

This is why every Minnesotan gets a smug sense of superiority every time there's a rare snowstorm south of the snowline.

Suffer!

I'm in Salt Lake and feel the same way. "Snow day?! What the gently caress is a snow day?" 42 years old and only once did a job ever say "We're closed because the roads are too bad." That was the time it snowed like 3 feet in 24 hours. Also it was after I'd already driven the 15 miles to work :argh:

e: for us, "snow day" is when you call in sick to go skiiing/boarding because there's 6 feet of fresh powder

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
You haven't truly experienced mortality until you've endured -40 wind chill.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm in Salt Lake and feel the same way. "Snow day?! What the gently caress is a snow day?" 42 years old and only once did a job ever say "We're closed because the roads are too bad." That was the time it snowed like 3 feet in 24 hours. Also it was after I'd already driven the 15 miles to work :argh:

Have to admit, after growing up in Northeastern VT, the 2 winters I spent in DC were hilarious as everyone totally panicked as soon as there was half an inch of snow on the ground.

And being honest it was nice not to have to deal with -20 with wind chill that makes it feel twice as cold.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
NM

SnakePlissken fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 26, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've lived in New England all my life except one year I spent in Seattle. Once during that year it snowed half an inch and the entire metro area shut down. Buses abandoned on the side of the road, taxi companies closed for the night, AAA telling cardholders to go gently caress themselves because the only tow truck that could handle the hill they were stuck on was two hours' drive away, one of the only two bridges across Lake Washington getting closed in one direction because a bus had jackknifed across both lanes, the works. I think it's because the terrain is really hilly but there are no plows and no salt/sand trucks.

By 10:30 the next morning the entire half inch of snow had already melted and life returned to normal. It was still a really surreal 24 hours.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Have to admit, after growing up in Northeastern VT, the 2 winters I spent in DC were hilarious as everyone totally panicked as soon as there was half an inch of snow on the ground.

And being honest it was nice not to have to deal with -20 with wind chill that makes it feel twice as cold.

I'm originally from southern Mississippi, but I spent a year living in Winnipeg before moving back. Whenever we get unusually cold weather, I feel like some kind of superhero because I'm literally the only person I know who can drive on ice or generally knows how to deal with dangerously cold conditions.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

SubponticatePoster posted:

e: for us, "snow day" is when you call in sick to go skiiing/boarding because there's 6 feet of fresh powder

Why shouldn't things close down when there is adverse weather? I get what you are saying, but certain areas are simply not used to or equipped to handle certain situations. I grew up in Idaho, I learned how to drive on 3 feet of snow during drivers training. I don't expect everyone to have the same capabilities I do. In fact, the weather doesn't bother me or scare me, other drivers do.

loquacius posted:

I've lived in New England all my life except one year I spent in Seattle. Once during that year it snowed half an inch and the entire metro area shut down. Buses abandoned on the side of the road, taxi companies closed for the night, AAA telling cardholders to go gently caress themselves because the only tow truck that could handle the hill they were stuck on was two hours' drive away, one of the only two bridges across Lake Washington getting closed in one direction because a bus had jackknifed across both lanes, the works. I think it's because the terrain is really hilly but there are no plows and no salt/sand trucks.

By 10:30 the next morning the entire half inch of snow had already melted and life returned to normal. It was still a really surreal 24 hours.

Are you talking about when everything just turned to ice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZCyQ3emQg

Looks perfectly safe to me.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 25, 2014

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Pohl posted:

Why shouldn't things close down when there is adverse weather? I get what you are saying, but certain areas are simply not used to or equipped to handle certain situations. I grew up in Idaho, I learned how to drive on 3 feet of snow during drivers training. I don't expect everyone to have the same capabilities I do. In fact, the weather doesn't bother me or scare me, other drivers do.
I get :argh: because we don't close down, even during blizzards. (And there's a bit of "you goddamn pansies, it's just snow and barely any at that, learn to drive in it!" I admit)

Maybe states that don't get a lot of snow should buy up a few older snow-making machines and give a basic course on driving in it. Because doing donuts in a snowy parking lot is pretty fun!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Pohl posted:

Are you talking about when everything just turned to ice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZCyQ3emQg

Looks perfectly safe to me.

Oh god I'm terrified of 2C drivers come winter. Good lord they have no concept safety bubble or speed limits.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Suffer!

Being from the north and living in Atlanta I'm the guy you see driving in the several inches of snow and slush that paralyzes the city for days because nobody knows how to drive in it. Though the news channels down here don't help either (drive slow! :downs:). In the years I've lived here I think the number of natives who know about down-shifting for bad weather I could count on one hand, and I'm not sure any of them have ever actually tried it instead of relying entirely on brakes when going down a hill with snow and ice on it.

Doesn't help that this kind of stupidity resulted in shitloads of kids being trapped in schools this past winter because the governor and Atlanta's mayor were both stupid fucks who let an ice storm hit with little to no prep done ahead of time because they didn't think it'd be that bad. Even though this is the south and any noticeable snow or ice cover is bad for people who see the stuff maybe once a year. :psyduck:

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

loquacius posted:

We had this in Austin a few years back. It was upper-60s on Sunday and then we got about an inch or so on Monday. The entire city completely loving freaked out and, being from Indiana, I just took it in stride, and was basically the only car on 35 during what would be peak morning rush hour. The next day it was mid-70s, and life resumed as normal.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's a shame that all us people in warm climate weather can't make fun of everyone up north who die of heat stroke everytime the temp breaks 90.

"Haha those idiots need to learn how not die in the heat"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FCKGW posted:

It's a shame that all us people in warm climate weather can't make fun of everyone up north who die of heat stroke everytime the temp breaks 90.

You can do that for Oregonians because they don't have AC in their houses.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

The guy said the police had the cold weather equipment in Texas and this is because our military wasted money because our leaders were bribed by the equipment manufacturers. We should discuss how to investigate and publicize the corruption that leads to the deaths of millions, and a general disillusionment with government that has led to anarchists accidentally advocating fascism. Lol remember when it snowed in the south and those dumbass hicks got all hosed up, those idiots gently caress em

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FCKGW posted:

Well, we don't live in a culture where Siesta is a thing anymore. Not dying of heat stroke in the US more or less boils down to being able to afford owning and running an air conditioner, so you don't really need any special skills beyond being able to swipe your mastercard. It's mostly poor people (old people on SS, etc) who die of heat stroke.

Driving in poor weather conditions is something that any licensed driver is supposed to be able to handle - they also apply to things like driving in rain. Not only that, most of the particular "skill" involved is "not trying to do 70 on an icy road". The #1 skill that you need is to slow the gently caress down, or to choose not to make the trip, and there's no excuse for people not knowing/doing that.

Tying things back to the Airframe Parachute thread a bit, Electronic Stability Control is a really interesting development which makes it vastly more difficult to break loose from the road surface. This, in turn, leads some people to overdrive what the road conditions should normally allow, backstopped by the ESC system. Then when they finally exceed the ability of even ESC to keep them down, they have really nasty crashes.

I live in Michigan, my car doesn't even have anti-lock brakes :gonk:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 25, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

loquacius posted:

One thing to keep in mind is they don't have/use as much salt & sand here as back in MA so the roads can get waaay slicker from just a little.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Weather chat is totes political and all, but isn't this why there's a chat thread?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Driving in poor weather conditions is something that any licensed driver is supposed to be able to handle - they also apply to things like driving in rain. Not only that, most of the particular "skill" involved is "not trying to do 70 on an icy road". The #1 skill that you need is to slow the gently caress down, or to choose not to make the trip, and there's no excuse for people not knowing/doing that.

In places where it doesn't snow why would anyone there be expected to learn how to drive in it? Why is it surprising that people with no experience in snow have a difficult time driving in it?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Suffer!

Funny how many of you decide that they don't like suffering and move down here. :v:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
If there's one thing our public schools are lacking it's enough guns.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

I bet the people who crash their car are mostly republican due to their lack of foresight

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Cool Bear posted:

I bet the people who crash their car are mostly republican due to their lack of foresight

Republicans: We also crash our prius during a snow storm.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The story was an NPR exclusive at first, so all of the right-wing echo chambers were linking to it. It happens every now and again.

Yeah, Drudge linked to the NPR article basically within a minute of NPR posting it. Holder was decent. I mean complaining about Holder being pro war on drugs and not prosecuting Wall Street is basically complaining about American politics in general. At least he's made some strides in lessening the intensity of the drug war by advocating people in federal prisons in there for non violent drug crimes should be start to be released, also not loving with Colorado and Washington in regards to marijuana(I also think the DoJ sent out a memo saying they would not gently caress with banks that took deposits from legal weed stores?) Most importantly though, he seriously beefed up the civil rights division of the DoJ, as someone said above he spoke out against unarmed black people being routinely shot down by police(which makes him a race baiter of course and the most racist AG ever re: NPR comments)and went on the offensive against voting restriction fuckery.

e: also, I just saw this
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...detail=facebook

hasn't the DoJ under Holder been decent, or at least less terrible, in regards to Native American claims?

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 26, 2014

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Anyone complaining about Holder after Alberto Gonzales is kinda nutty. He's done way more than I thought anyone would do, especially for civil rights.

If you want to know why he's a ok guy, look up videos of him going off on Chuck Grassley and Darrel Issa.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sir Tonk posted:

Anyone complaining about Holder after Alberto Gonzales is kinda nutty. He's done way more than I thought anyone would do, especially for civil rights.

If you want to know why he's a ok guy, look up videos of him going off on Chuck Grassley and car thief/arsonist Darrel Issa.

ftfy

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

FCKGW posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humid_continental_climate bitch

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Weather chat is totes political and all, but isn't this why there's a chat thread?

It sure beats fat-chat.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I wonder how the people that whined about him feel about the fat debate going on :allears:

At least it's people airing their true (and in this case wrong) opinion, rather than the same old disingenuous :godwin: trollbait.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I greatly enjoy that it's incredibly sick, and wrong, to discuss fats even as America is undergoing a severe obesity crisis that's impacting nearly every sphere of societal life, and that people are turning around and trying to claim their unhealth is actually Beautiful, and Good. It is first world as gently caress to watch all those bulbous masses scream that they're oppressed and that, if not for the inorganic oppression, they would actually be desirable and honored, even as they stuff more and more processed product down their gullet.

What the gently caress happened to our pride as a country? We now revel in being slovenly, shapeless piles of poo poo, living only to consume and demand ever more consumption, and decree that others perceive ever-accelerating rates of consumption as gloriously divine.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Brannock posted:

I greatly enjoy that it's incredibly sick, and wrong, to discuss fats even as America is undergoing a severe obesity crisis that's impacting nearly every sphere of societal life, and that people are turning around and trying to claim their unhealth is actually Beautiful, and Good. It is first world as gently caress to watch all those bulbous masses scream that they're oppressed and that, if not for the inorganic oppression, they would actually be desirable and honored, even as they stuff more and more processed product down their gullet.

What the gently caress happened to our pride as a country? We now revel in being slovenly, shapeless piles of poo poo, living only to consume and demand ever more consumption, and decree that others perceive ever-accelerating rates of consumption as gloriously divine.

Please source your quotes or it looks like you're saying dumb crazy poo poo.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Donald Verrilli is totally the right man for the job. I wonder what will happen when Holder-haters find out his wife is black.

Also, apparently we can finally point to a firm belief of Barack Obama: the top cop should have a cop's mustache.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Please source your quotes or it looks like you're saying dumb crazy poo poo.

Ah yes, Lol... le epic "source your quotes" meme. Good poo poo, my friend.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Brannock posted:

Because it turns out that describing the obese in the manner you have just described doesn't actually help at all, and only makes the problem worse.

Do you want to reduce obesity in our fair country? Fix the economy; poorer areas are dependent on welfare which doesn't provide enough vegetables and create "food desert," plus the impoverished are generally working too hard (3-4 jobs a day) to devote time to exercise, and more money will fix that. Reform education: see that school kids receive at least one healthy balanced meal, get the vending machines out of the cafeteria, and make home economics a national standard, so that students may not only learn how to cook, but how to read the gobbledygook the food companies slap on the side of food nowadays. When you see a person trying to improve their health, teach them actually how to lose weight: set goals, weigh yourself every day, set up a reward system, celebrate the little victories, 'cause every pound lost and kept off is that much longer to live.

Do not just call them "Fatty McFatFat" and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Brannock posted:

Saying don't be an rear end in a top hat to fat people isn't even close to the same thing as saying obesity is healthy and you're a huge loving moron for trying to equate the two things.