Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this brought me pleasure

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

the new Windows will be the most confusing name they can come up with. I'm guessing Windows Metro

idea: we need to use different names for the different home and business SKUs. evoke popular brands like Xbox with the home customers and stress the powerful cloud-enabled office applications on the business side.

execution: Windows 360 for home users, Windows 365 for business

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

their most popular brand, so: windowscraft

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

idea: we need to use different names for the different home and business SKUs. evoke popular brands like Xbox with the home customers and stress the powerful cloud-enabled office applications on the business side.

execution: Windows 360 for home users, Windows 365 for business
Note: Office 365 will still have home and business versions

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pagancow posted:

except post production professionals who want to go home at 5

the word 'professional' has been rly run down over the years

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm a post production professional. I'm working on producing a post right now iykwim

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i am post professional

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

PleasureKevin posted:

i swiped from right to left to reveal the hidden right menu, then swiped the opposite way to hide it again, but that doesn't work. you swipe from right to left to hide it too. it's like designing a car where you press on the gas to go, then press on the gas to stop too. how can they gently caress that up??

the hidden right menu is a gift that keeps on giving

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i can sometimes get into that menu in a 2012 rdp session, but only ever by accident

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i ran into a surface for the first time today and lol

it's both too small and too large at the same time (screen size is tablet size, but the surface is about half the thickness of my hugeass laptop), and it shutdown in the middle of a presentation to spend 30 minutes installing updates

also, windows 8 looks like total poo poo on the surface's tiny screen. the surface menu could show at most 9 tiles at a time. it looked like it was displaying in 640x480 tbh

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

hobbesmaster posted:

and yet, those applications showing a 1997 game's worth of polygons will run at 5 fps unless its a "pro" card

thankfully the low-end firepro and quadro cards cost next to nothing these days

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

what was the card that just had a software switch to turn off the extra stuff, so you could just flash the firmware for the faster card

ati 69xx or something I think

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
this is a dumb question but do you have to click and drag the lock window up to log in on desktop

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

thankfully the low-end firepro and quadro cards cost next to nothing these days

unfortunate if you want to run something on a laptop

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

uncurable mlady posted:

this is a dumb question but do you have to click and drag the lock window up to log in on desktop

it goes up when you press any key

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

unfortunate if you want to run something on a laptop

we're pushing for hyper-v VDI that does server-side 3d rendering on a handful of high-end quadro cards and then ships the rendered frames out to the client with remotefx so laptops become thin clients and we can get rid of the hunks of poo poo for good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
let me just copy this whole verge article because everything about it is so sad

quote:

Steve Ballmer is ditching iPads at LA Clippers in favor of Windows

Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer purchased the Los Angeles Clippers last month for $2 billion, and now he’s hinting at some changes for the basketball team. Ballmer’s not dropping coach Doc Rivers or any star players, but he is planning to get rid of iPads in favor of Windows. "Most of the Clippers are on Windows, some of the players and coaches are not," explains Ballmer in an interview with Reuters. "And Doc kind of knows that’s a project. It's one of the first things he said to me: 'We are probably going to get rid of these iPads, aren’t we?' And I said, 'Yeah, we probably are.' But I promised we would do it during the off season."

The switch away from iPads to Windows-based tablets could be an opportunity for Microsoft’s Surface tablets to make an impact at the NBA alongside the NFL, but Samsung will stand in the way of seeing any Microsoft tablets courtside. Samsung signed a $100 million deal to become the official handset, tablet, and TV supplier for the NBA late last year. That won’t stop Ballmer from switching behind the scenes, but he might be forced to stick with Android-powered Galaxy tablets elsewhere.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The Management posted:

jfc steve

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The Management posted:

a fate worse than death

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

microsoft execs are like transmittable cancer jfc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hey I just spent 2 billion dollars on a super-profitable basketball team, better gently caress with their support technology just because

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

we're pushing for hyper-v VDI that does server-side 3d rendering on a handful of high-end quadro cards and then ships the rendered frames out to the client with remotefx so laptops become thin clients and we can get rid of the hunks of poo poo for good

this is something I've considered looking into recently but I'm worried that the latency will end up being too high and my users won't accept it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i hope 'windows' becomes a syndrome for professional sports teams like Shingles

'aw man have you heard about the wizards?? they got diagnosed with windows last week :ohdear:'

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

microsoft literally bumped up a 360 game's digital price by :10bux: so they could give it away next month while saying "look we're giving you a $50 game for free aren't we awesome"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Number19 posted:

this is something I've considered looking into recently but I'm worried that the latency will end up being too high and my users won't accept it

yeah we're still feeling things out but it looks promising so long as your wifi is consistent and the bandwidth consumption isn't nearly as bad as you might expect

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Metrication posted:

i am post engineer

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

microsoft execs are like transmittable cancer jfc

the only one I've seen not act like this is Sinofsky

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

we have this but xendesktop and wyse xp2s & grid k2s w/ solidworks

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

graph posted:

we have this but xendesktop and wyse xp2s & grid k2s w/ solidworks

MS gives us an amazing deal on licensing so we're doing that for $$$aving$$$ but I'm glad others are breaking ground there too. also, these dell thin client monitors are cool and we're demoing them

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/wyse-5212-aio/pd?refid=wyse-5212-aio&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch&isredir=true

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

yeah we're still feeling things out but it looks promising so long as your wifi is consistent and the bandwidth consumption isn't nearly as bad as you might expect

the biggest challenge for us is that the game devs will need to actually paly the game to test stuff. that part will be very sensitive to input lag, even in a LAN setup

dell demoed their PCoIP setup using some sort of wyse card and device and it was close but still not quite good enough. sadly, i don't think it ever will be

e: also we're not big enough to get price concessions on this stuff so by the time we get all the gear and software the costs end up about even

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

looked at these but an xp2 w/ cheapo dell lcd is still cheaper

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

graph posted:

looked at these but an xp2 w/ cheapo dell lcd is still cheaper

yeah I know but people around here like to fiddle with things and getting more stuff off their desks is worth the money to us. plus you can get them with these sweet dual-monitor stands instead of the single monitor ones which should hopefully cut back on the number of requests for ergotron mounts

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Nokia promised a Flipboard Windows Phone app more than a year ago, and it’s finally arrived in the store today. Despite the long delay, it’s debuting without the key feature that attracted users to the app: flipping. The Windows Phone app simply slides onto the next article, rather than a flipping page like the iOS and Android equivalents that have been available for years. It’s more Slideboard than Flipboard.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

this sounds amazing and why doesn't solidworks/autodesk/et al offer that kind of service today, either their own cloud or DIY cloud servers

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

because they are software companies stuck in the 90s

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Internaut! posted:

this sounds amazing and why doesn't solidworks/autodesk/et al offer that kind of service today, either their own cloud or DIY cloud servers

a ton of bandwidth would be required for that and engineers like their fancy workstations

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Internaut! posted:

Thanks Ants posted:

because they are software companies stuck in the 90s

nvidia came out with a grid appliance but its hilariously gimped

also it's not quiiiiiite hammered out yet and *~3d cloud video cards~* are still p expensive

ask me about my clod renderfarm

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MS gives us an amazing deal on licensing so we're doing that for $$$aving$$$ but I'm glad others are breaking ground there too. also, these dell thin client monitors are cool and we're demoing them

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/wyse-5212-aio/pd?refid=wyse-5212-aio&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch&isredir=true

hyper-v remotefx is poo poo compared to the xendesktop stuff in terms of graphical performance, but if you aren't doing CAD/complicated poo poo I guess it'll be fine

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Internaut! posted:

its still first gen for the most part, I'm sure they're playing with it. The big problem boils down to good network connections. Low latency/jitter and a sufficient minimum of bandwidth are all a must. As an in-house desktop replacement right now: no problem, you can do it. On a wireless network inside your LAN or MAN, yep. Stretch that out over the internet and things start getting a bit dicey depending on the connection and the resolution of session you're trying to pipe out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

qirex posted:

Nokia promised a Flipboard Windows Phone app more than a year ago, and it’s finally arrived in the store today. Despite the long delay, it’s debuting without the key feature that attracted users to the app: flipping. The Windows Phone app simply slides onto the next article, rather than a flipping page like the iOS and Android equivalents that have been available for years. It’s more Slideboard than Flipboard.

are they doing that to stay on brand? or whatever you call having that infinite canvas layout thing on metro

• Locked thread