Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

mishaq posted:

hyper-v remotefx is poo poo compared to the xendesktop stuff in terms of graphical performance, but if you aren't doing CAD/complicated poo poo I guess it'll be fine

we're doing the most basic CAD stuff imaginable, but yeah I'm only going hyper-v right now because of cost and if it's good enough then I'll assume it will improve over time. if its poo poo under real-world testing out the gate then I'll dump it for something else (always looking for an excuse to give VMware more money)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

its still first gen for the most part, I'm sure they're playing with it. The big problem boils down to good network connections. Low latency/jitter and a sufficient minimum of bandwidth are all a must. As an in-house desktop replacement right now: no problem, you can do it. On a wireless network inside your LAN or MAN, yep. Stretch that out over the internet and things start getting a bit dicey depending on the connection and the resolution of session you're trying to pipe out.
That means this poo poo is useless for the users we work with since most of them need this stuff on overseas trips.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Fabricated posted:

That means this poo poo is useless for the users we work with since most of them need this stuff on overseas trips.

if solidworks/autodesk is going to be doing it then you'll have distributed datacenters and would connect to the closest one. pull your content from a Clod Save and work away. It doesn't exist yet and you can't really roll your own for what you're describing but it could be possible in a year or two.

the one option is to have people connect to your VDI infrastructure through thin-client type laptops when they are within the continental US or whatever but if they're going overseas then they get a loaner beefy laptop that you load the VM files on locally to work with so they can transition seamlessly

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

graph posted:

ask me about my butt renderfarm

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

serious question, if you wanted to render one video h.264 across multiple machines, how do you spread the GOPs out and then recombine it at the end with some semblance of rate control?

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

MS gives us an amazing deal on licensing so we're doing that for $$$aving$$$ but I'm glad others are breaking ground there too. also, these dell thin client monitors are cool and we're demoing them

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/wyse-5212-aio/pd?refid=wyse-5212-aio&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch&isredir=true

wait why is this a feature

"With an unpublished API and encoded with AES disk encryption"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if solidworks/autodesk is going to be doing it then you'll have distributed datacenters and would connect to the closest one. pull your content from a Clod Save and work away. It doesn't exist yet and you can't really roll your own for what you're describing but it could be possible in a year or two.

the one option is to have people connect to your VDI infrastructure through thin-client type laptops when they are within the continental US or whatever but if they're going overseas then they get a loaner beefy laptop that you load the VM files on locally to work with so they can transition seamlessly

i don't think relying on the wifi for some random hotel in bumfuck north dakota is going to be a good business proposition

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

That would probably be what they have to do here, but I dunno how to really sell this to profs/deans since we (who provide support and the backend) would see most of the benefits. Like, "You could run the same software on whatever os you want, be able to carry a light laptop and do the same work, work from home, etc" is good and would sell some of the profs but Deans seem to really hate spending money on infrastructure since theyre dumb and can't seem to wrap their heads around it.

Licensing I guess is one thing this would help with too but everyone here can literally afford unlimited licenses of everything.

Like the Deans will sign off on a shitzillion dollars to buy literally thousands of Matlab licenses with every toolbox under the sun, COMSOL, etc. etc. They'll buy truckloads of PCs/Laptops, and they even kinda get why profs want their own clusters and will buy those but they glaze over at this kinda poo poo

money in academia is more :psyduck: than you can imagine; mostly with how many pools it gets split up into that can only be spent on this and not on that etc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raruler posted:

wait why is this a feature

"With an unpublished API and encoded with AES disk encryption"

if you have to pay dell approved consultants $texas/hr then it has to be better than some crap open source thing!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

Nokia promised a Flipboard Windows Phone app more than a year ago, and it’s finally arrived in the store today. Despite the long delay, it’s debuting without the key feature that attracted users to the app: flipping. The Windows Phone app simply slides onto the next article, rather than a flipping page like the iOS and Android equivalents that have been available for years. It’s more Slideboard than Flipboard.

yes, let's put more than the most minimal effort to support winpho, I'm sure that will pay off

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

i don't think relying on the wifi for some random hotel in bumfuck north dakota is going to be a good business proposition

Not going to North Dakota is a good business proposition

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Fabricated posted:

That would probably be what they have to do here, but I dunno how to really sell this to profs/deans since we (who provide support and the backend) would see most of the benefits. Like, "You could run the same software on whatever os you want, be able to carry a light laptop and do the same work, work from home, etc" is good and would sell some of the profs but Deans seem to really hate spending money on infrastructure since theyre dumb and can't seem to wrap their heads around it.

Licensing I guess is one thing this would help with too but everyone here can literally afford unlimited licenses of everything.

Like the Deans will sign off on a shitzillion dollars to buy literally thousands of Matlab licenses with every toolbox under the sun, COMSOL, etc. etc. They'll buy truckloads of PCs/Laptops, and they even kinda get why profs want their own clusters and will buy those but they glaze over at this kinda poo poo

money in academia is more :psyduck: than you can imagine; mostly with how many pools it gets split up into that can only be spent on this and not on that etc

instead of doing a big expensive computer buy every 3 years or whatever you're amortizing the costs year to year which gives a more stable budget number to target. you can sell it if you know the magic words they want to hear

and yes, I too work in academia

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Not going to North Dakota is a good business proposition

:gas:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Good news! The PC industry didn't decline in the back to school season: http://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/apple-and-chrome-boost-us-retail-pc-back-to-school-sales/

quote:

U.S. consumer retail PC sales grew almost 3 percent during the 10 week Back-to-School period (week of July 4th through Labor Day week) after declining by 2.5 percent in the previous year. According to The NPD Group Weekly Tracking Service, Apple and Chrome OS led the sales drive with Chrome OS unit sales increasing 37 percent over 2013 and Mac OS-based products up 14 percent. Windows devices declined 3 percent.

Wow, that's almost a worse outcome than just the entire industry shrinking. Things are growing and Microsoft totally missed the boat. Not a good time to be a MS shareholder.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qirex posted:

Nokia promised a Flipboard Windows Phone app more than a year ago, and it’s finally arrived in the store today. Despite the long delay, it’s debuting without the key feature that attracted users to the app: flipping. The Windows Phone app simply slides onto the next article, rather than a flipping page like the iOS and Android equivalents that have been available for years. It’s more Slideboard than Flipboard.

omg

the endless internal meetings about how a flip animation isn't authentically digital must have been amazing

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Wheany posted:

are they doing that to stay on brand? or whatever you call having that infinite canvas layout thing on metro

i guarantee you that this is why.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

we're doing the most basic CAD stuff imaginable, but yeah I'm only going hyper-v right now because of cost and if it's good enough then I'll assume it will improve over time. if its poo poo under real-world testing out the gate then I'll dump it for something else (always looking for an excuse to give VMware more money)

remotefx (unless it's changed recently) only supports open gl 1 or 2 and directx 9.0, it's really only meant to let PowerPoint be less laggy

xenserver is free without support

edit: but I'm not factoring in client side costs oops

we're so poor we use Vnc lol

Asymmetric POSTer fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 25, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mod sassinator posted:

Wow, that's almost a worse outcome than just the entire industry shrinking. Things are growing and Microsoft totally missed the boat. Not a good time to be a MS shareholder.
people (consumers) just loving hate windows machines and try not to buy them whenever possible

so naturally msft is considering unifying all its products under the windows brand

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

FMguru posted:

people (consumers) just loving hate windows machines and try not to buy them whenever possible

so naturally msft is considering unifying all its products under the windows brand

at what point do they just start marketing directly to cjs, the last group who even had a small reason to praise windows

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

at what point do they just start marketing directly to cjs, the last group who even had a small reason to praise windows

i think they already try to

there were server 2012 ads on my 360 dashboard a few years ago :psyduck:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Internaut! posted:

this sounds amazing and why doesn't solidworks/autodesk/et al offer that kind of service today, either their own cloud or DIY cloud servers

lol my father is at a conference this very day arguing against a whole thinktank of ideas guys like you to remind them that cad/cam is too resource intensive for poo poo like that

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

carry on then posted:

ive been saying for years that msft's inevitable end state is as an enterprise software and consulting company, living off of big contracts from f500s and government agencies - essentially becoming ibm or xerox or unisys - and the sooner they understand that the better off theyll be

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FMguru posted:

ive been saying for years that msft's inevitable end state is as an enterprise software and consulting company, living off of big contracts from f500s and government agencies - essentially becoming ibm or xerox or unisys - and the sooner they understand that the better off theyll be

nah just release the dj snap cover theyll come around

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FMguru posted:

this is also the inevitable end state of dell and hp

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Windows Evoke

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

mod sassinator posted:

Good news! The PC industry didn't decline in the back to school season: http://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/apple-and-chrome-boost-us-retail-pc-back-to-school-sales/

It hasn't been a good time to be a MS Shareholder since Win XP came out.

Infact that would've been a good time to sell shares in MS and buy Apple shares.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

this is also the inevitable end state of dell and hp

the probable end state for dell and hp is bankruptcy. they sell commodity products. not even fortune 500s and government want to pay enterprise margins for extra testing on whitebox hardware.

they have tried to dodge the bullet by getting into software, storage, and services, and that's not working either. if your business is failing you don't become a success by buying somebody else's business

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

ps4 sold 273% better than xbox this week. ps4 got a 255% boost from destiny and xbox got a 37% boost.

destiny on PS4 has already beaten Titanfall's total sales to date

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

PleasureKevin posted:

Windows Evoque

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

PleasureKevin posted:

ps4 sold 273% better than xbox this week. ps4 got a 255% boost from destiny and xbox got a 37% boost.

destiny on PS4 has already beaten Titanfall's total sales to date

im the 2.3m at 22.2% and the 1.5M at 26.2% difference

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lol vgchartz

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the z is how you know it's a professional organization

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

pagancow posted:

im the 2.3m at 22.2% and the 1.5M at 26.2% difference

How did you miss the 6.4M at 60.8% and 4.2M at 73.8%, both at the same height?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

they're technically two separate charts, each pegged to the leader at a relative 100%, but they don't arrange them like that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

theflyingexecutive posted:

they're technically two separate charts, each pegged to the leader at a relative 100%, but they don't arrange them like that

charts, lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
they're also from vgchartz so they're completely, totally made up

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

charts, lmao

my b

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
has this been posted because lol

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/25/us-nba-clippers-ballmer-idUSKCN0HK05P20140925

quote:

Ballmer, 58, is a renowned salesman, carrying intense kinetic energy in his hulking frame as he strides across the court. He relentlessly talks about "the fan experience" and says he's not competing against the Lakers, but against the 29 other NBA teams.

gently caress THE LAKERS

quote:

It should come as no surprise, then, that the Clippers will be a Microsoft organization. The son of a Ford Motor Co manager, he's always been a company and product loyalist, banning his own family from using Apple's iPhones.

"Most of the Clippers are on Windows, some of the players and coaches are not," Ballmer said.

"And Doc kind of knows that’s a project. It's one of the first things he said to me: 'We are probably going to get rid of these iPads, aren’t we?' And I said, 'Yeah, we probably are.' But I promised we would do it during the off season."

I want to be Ballmer's son instead of my dad, my dad would get mad at me for reading at night loving ballmer would go ballistic if I had a fuckin Mac in my room at night.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
ballmer just loving goes and nothing stops him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

ballmer just loving goes and nothing stops him

it's kind of endearing

• Locked thread