Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

TerminusEst13 posted:

Sprites are so much cooler than models.

This is the way Doom was meant to be played.
LMAO that looks like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Commander Keenan posted:

The original Quake 3 announcer may be in Reflex.

This is both amazing and great news. I always thought that Q3 announcer voice was heavily edited but seems that it isn't :stare:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Woolie Wool posted:

There are a grand total of two people in the entire Doom community who can even approach Adrian Carmack's skill at spriting in 1993 (Vader and Eriance).

didn't Eriance quit though

I mean all he does these days is draw naked anime ladies on his Deviantart. snoresville!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

I mean all he does these days is draw naked anime ladies on his Deviantart. snoresville!

Naked anime versions of Doom monsters.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I think he actually drew that once. it wasn't very pleasant!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Colon Semicolon posted:

I think he actually drew that once. it wasn't very pleasant!

Can you please not touch me in that sector sempai? :stonk:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Elbow deep in the dead :quagmire:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Yeah, but it also had the machine gun, which was reasonably powerful from a numbers standpoint but absolutely sucked in terms of feel and feedback. And having no muzzle flashes was the worst. What were they thinking?

I like Quake 2 but that machine gun was a piece of poo poo. Fire it for more than half a second and you're staring at the ceiling. I feel like they did a pretty good job with most weapons though, the grenade launcher and railgun especially.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Colon Semicolon posted:

And he's been working on Demon Eclipse for 8000 years and it's changed focus about as many times. Laaaame.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Colon Semicolon posted:

He came back a while ago.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Skeleton rates 9/10 on the agitating meter

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Kins posted:

Is it wrong that my first response to seeing that was drat I can't wait to put a rocket in its face?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

No, your reaction is completely right. That's a great sprite in my opinion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guillermus posted:

No, your reaction is completely right. That's a great sprite in my opinion.

Good sprite, but the motion is wonky as hell unless that's just a clip of a larger animation.

Also the proportions are pretty awful... (Look at the legs!) actually not sure if good sprite anymore.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Linguica posted:

LMAO that looks like poo poo

It's bad.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

I've played Brutal Doom before and it doesn't look like that. That's ENB Series or some other similar tool.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I've played a ton of BD and it doesn't look like that.

It's a faked screenshot I made for a joke. v:v:v
A little of Brutal Doom, a little of Complex Doom, a little of modified Nashgore (with super-hi-res blood sprites), and a lot of mishmash of other unnecessary enhancement mods, then blurred up/contrasted in Photoshop and with tons of glow applied to the brighter areas.

Zaphod42 posted:

Good sprite, but the motion is wonky as hell unless that's just a clip of a larger animation.

That's how the Revenant walks. It's very wonky as hell, intentionally so! It's kind of endearing, really.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 26, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

It's a faked screenshot I made for a joke. v:v:v
The bloom on the HUD cracked me up.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

The Kins posted:

Literally the first thing I thought of when I saw this.

http://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/SG4alYB.gif&v=vyeKAkMwCpw&s=12

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I get a techno viking vibe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMh8V04s7Ts&t=87s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MONKET posted:

This made me laugh way more than it should have. I have a comedic soft-spot for goofy poo poo in Doom, I guess.

EDIT: vvvvv Also a quality post.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 26, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

MONKET posted:

Mine was this honestly.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The new ROTT is getting Workshop support :woop:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

MONKET posted:

Now I hope that monster is called Brother Bones.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
All these skeleton/sound mixes are great.

Zeether posted:

The new ROTT is getting Workshop support :woop:

They've been saying this for a very long time now. I hope we get some good single-player maps out of it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Did they ever iron out the chronic performance issues in ROTT 2013? That game seemed like it could have been ok if it didn't stutter to hell on every graphical setting :(

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Convex posted:

Did they ever iron out the chronic performance issues in ROTT 2013? That game seemed like it could have been ok if it didn't stutter to hell on every graphical setting :(

There were several updates that helped the performance quite a bit. I tried it out on my laptop at one point after one of them and it ran pretty good with motion blur off and the graphics settings cranked down.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I thought the edited Revenant looked kinda like it was dancing in place, personally.

As for RotT2013, that game likes to make my graphics card stop responding a lot. It recovers, admittedly, but it happens often enough to prevent me from playing the game a whole lot. Then again, this also happens with Sonic Generations and Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed... probably would happen with other high-end games, I suppose, but I'm usually playing Doom instead. (Doesn't usually happen with Skyrim, at least?)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Convex posted:

It was buttery smooth for me, shame it wasn't actually any fun.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MONKET posted:

Thank you

edit; God drat it works every time, I'm gonna bookmark it and just load it up whenever I feel like having a laugh

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 26, 2014

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Took me a bit to place what I was hearing when I saw it.

http://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/SG4alYB.gif&v=yca2BCwAnBQ

Aw yeah Toshinden shoutout

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

LvK posted:

Took me a bit to place what I was hearing when I saw it.

http://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/SG4alYB.gif&v=yca2BCwAnBQ
Voting for my favorite one, oh man

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

I thought the edited Revenant looked kinda like it was dancing in place, personally.

As for RotT2013, that game likes to make my graphics card stop responding a lot. It recovers, admittedly, but it happens often enough to prevent me from playing the game a whole lot. Then again, this also happens with Sonic Generations and Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed... probably would happen with other high-end games, I suppose, but I'm usually playing Doom instead. (Doesn't usually happen with Skyrim, at least?)

Could it be your processor instead? I've had similar issues that went away when I swapped out my aging AMD processor for an Intel Core i5. Then again, maybe your graphics card is dying and some games are more sensitive to it? I find such issues annoying but also fun to fix as well too, just one of the joys of PC Gaming. :pcgaming:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

If you have ever played Doom in a high resolution software-rendering source port like PrBoom* you may have noticed some very unseemly issues with lines wobbling around in certain not terribly rare circumstances. Some guys just coded up a drop-in fix that basically eliminates it without resorting to rewriting the whole renderer. I for one am glad to see it happen because the amount of wiggling at 1920x1200 was disgustingly noticeable.

* I think ZDoom and its descendants have been free of it for a long time because it rewrote a lot of stuff.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've gotten to episode 4 of my Duke playthrough. Protector Drones are bullshit bullshit BULLSHIT with their bullshit shrink ray and their bullshit crushing you.

gently caress those guys. Episode 3 was manageable on Come Get Some but this will probably be a strain on Let's Rock.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

I've gotten to episode 4 of my Duke playthrough. Protector Drones are bullshit bullshit BULLSHIT with their bullshit shrink ray and their bullshit crushing you.

gently caress those guys. Episode 3 was manageable on Come Get Some but this will probably be a strain on Let's Rock.

Use the Ripper, they'll do the Chaingun Cha-Cha and not be able to anything due to being stunlocked. Steroids will remove shrinkage and make you immune to it was well.

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010
The trick with Drones is to never stop moving. When they decide to shrink you, they'll stop moving for a second and aim. At that point you gotta jump around like an idiot. Every encounter where they decide to open a monster closet and dump them on you is bullshit though. I'm looking at you, Critical Mass

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

Use the Ripper, they'll do the Chaingun Cha-Cha and not be able to anything due to being stunlocked. Steroids will remove shrinkage and make you immune to it was well.

Finally a use for the things besides surviving the fight with the Cycloid Emperor. I turned the difficulty down from Come Get Some to Let's Rock for episode 4. Hope I can make it to the Queen.

E: Kind of ironic because in real life roids cause shrinkage...:flaccid:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 27, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Linguica posted:

If you have ever played Doom in a high resolution software-rendering source port like PrBoom* you may have noticed some very unseemly issues with lines wobbling around in certain not terribly rare circumstances. Some guys just coded up a drop-in fix that basically eliminates it without resorting to rewriting the whole renderer. I for one am glad to see it happen because the amount of wiggling at 1920x1200 was disgustingly noticeable.

* I think ZDoom and its descendants have been free of it for a long time because it rewrote a lot of stuff.

Someone ought to record video of the bug happening set to Jason Derulo - Wiggle.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Starhawk64 posted:

Could it be your processor instead? I've had similar issues that went away when I swapped out my aging AMD processor for an Intel Core i5.
I kinda hope not? I mean, the i7-930 isn't exactly top of the line anymore, even with the mild overclock I've given it (to about 3.8GHz - and no, that wasn't the cause, it was doing this at stock speeds too), but I'd like to think it's up to the task for most games. At any rate, Socket 1366 has been discontinued for years now, so if the CPU needed replacing, I might as well be building an entirely new computer. (Just... one that salvages my hard drives and stuff, because I had to replace those earlier this year anyway.)

Starhawk64 posted:

Then again, maybe your graphics card is dying and some games are more sensitive to it? I find such issues annoying but also fun to fix as well too, just one of the joys of PC Gaming. :pcgaming:
This is possibly the more likely option, although if it's dying, it must be doing it awful slowly, given it started doing this for specific games around 2011 or so but has still lasted me this long.

Linguica posted:

Hmm, I wonder if that'd help a vaguely-similar issue with overly-long linedefs in SRB2...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

So Sven co-op just posted a news post about what's coming in the standalone Steam version. They're really pushing for opening modding up and giving far more control over to mappers...also maps can be over 1000x times bigger from the work they've done on the half-life engine. It sounds like the wait will be worth it; I hope more maps have more intricate gameplay because as much as I loved the game, running around and pouring automatic fire into NPCs could only be interesting for so long.