Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Bieeardo posted:

Axe! No! Don't touch it! It's evil!

I must! I can't... stop the funk. The D calls to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PursTtl8H8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Asimo posted:

Main one I noticed is the Nukara Particle Converter actually loses a few skill points when you convert it from unranked to a mark item. Which I'm pretty sure happens just by putting it it in the upgrade UI. :downs: I've also heard reports of embassy consoles getting swapped for other embassy consoles on upgrade, but haven't dared attempt it myself. There's also a lot of less-critical bugs like bugged item names or set bonuses breaking.

Whole thing is a colossal clusterfuck.

I'm sure glad this is being tested on tribble! oh..

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Main one I noticed is the Nukara Particle Converter actually loses a few skill points when you convert it from unranked to a mark item. Which I'm pretty sure happens just by putting it it in the upgrade UI. :downs: I've also heard reports of embassy consoles getting swapped for other embassy consoles on upgrade, but haven't dared attempt it myself. There's also a lot of less-critical bugs like bugged item names or set bonuses breaking.

Apparently some people have managed to craft items which immediately crash their client as soon as you mouse over the item. :downs:

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!

g0del posted:

Apparently some people have managed to craft items which immediately crash their client as soon as you mouse over the item. :downs:

This has happened to me on my KDF character when upgrading my plasma consoles.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I thought I was in a fleet, but apparently it dissolved or something? And how will the invites come to us (I won't be online for hours yet)? If it's by mail, I'm Lord Lawrence@mvctaravrelivs.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

I thought I was in a fleet, but apparently it dissolved or something? And how will the invites come to us (I won't be online for hours yet)? If it's by mail, I'm Lord Lawrence@mvctaravrelivs.

Join the goon channel ( /channel_join thenextgooneration ) and ask for an invite to Starfleet Dental or Nerds of Prey.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
There have also been reports that the upgrade system strips the [Borg] proc from weapons, and mismatched sets lose their set bonuses despite them saying they wouldn't.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

In fairness it's not like the [Borg] proc has worked for a few years now. :downs:

Also I figured out the set bonus thing. Upgrading an item (or even just putting it in the upgrade UI) seems to convert it to a new itemization system behind the scenes. This is probably related to the tech they added to have set items of different marks work together, and probably part of why the [Borg] proc goes away (since it's a deprecated mod so the new system doesn't have it). The problem is that if you haven't done this with other items in the set then they're still using the old backend system and so won't be counted. The easy solution here is to just drop the rest of the set into an upgrade slot (actual upgrading isn't required) and you'll be set.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can anyone tell me if there's a difference between upgraded Jem'Hadar XI->XII and the Lobi Jem'Hadar XII?

Asimo posted:

In fairness it's not like the [Borg] proc has worked for a few years now. :downs:

Also I figured out the set bonus thing. Upgrading an item (or even just putting it in the upgrade UI) seems to convert it to a new itemization system behind the scenes. This is probably related to the tech they added to have set items of different marks work together. The problem is that if you haven't done this with other items in the set then they're still using the old backend system and so won't be counted. The easy solution here is to just drop the rest of the set into an upgrade slot (actual upgrading isn't required) and you'll be set.

I'd imagine that the plan was that when DR hit they'd automatically replace all of the old items to the new ones during patch, but nobody thought of that when they had the bright idea of pushing out upgrades early.

Or, y'know, they had no plan at all.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Can anyone tell me if there's a difference between upgraded Jem'Hadar XI->XII and the Lobi Jem'Hadar XII?

Upgrading the reward set turns it into the lobi set, but upgrading the lobi rifle turns it into a blue Mk XII rifle with the same stats, maybe losing 1 dps.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

Not true. The proc always worked, the problem was it only worked on cubes, spheres, and probes. Presumably because flagging the assimilated stuff as Borg would be work.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Asimo posted:

Also I figured out the set bonus thing. Upgrading an item (or even just putting it in the upgrade UI) seems to convert it to a new itemization system behind the scenes. This is probably related to the tech they added to have set items of different marks work together, and probably part of why the [Borg] proc goes away (since it's a deprecated mod so the new system doesn't have it). The problem is that if you haven't done this with other items in the set then they're still using the old backend system and so won't be counted. The easy solution here is to just drop the rest of the set into an upgrade slot (actual upgrading isn't required) and you'll be set.

There must have been some itemization rewrite on the back end. I think secondary deflectors are coming in this as well seeing as they specifically mention the dauntless as having a secondary deflector. Might be why we haven't seen it for nearly a year since it was first introduced with the dyson ships.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mondian posted:

Not true. The proc always worked, the problem was it only worked on cubes, spheres, and probes. Presumably because flagging the assimilated stuff as Borg would be work.
Ah, right. I knew there was an issue with it and enemy typing, but forgot at least some of the Borg stuff was set properly.

It's still a deprecated mod though, so I can see why Cryptic forgot accidentally left it out.

JuffoWup posted:

There must have been some itemization rewrite on the back end. I think secondary deflectors are coming in this as well seeing as they specifically mention the dauntless as having a secondary deflector. Might be why we haven't seen it for nearly a year since it was first introduced with the dyson ships.
Yeah, it's quite possible Cryptic didn't want to do the effort to put them in while being aware there was a total itemization rewrite coming. On the other hand it's not like sciboats have the slot yet on tribble.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FrostyJones posted:

Upgrading the reward set turns it into the lobi set, but upgrading the lobi rifle turns it into a blue Mk XII rifle with the same stats, maybe losing 1 dps.

Score.

Suck it, people who blew Lobi on the set.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Asimo posted:

Ah, right. I knew there was an issue with it and enemy typing, but forgot at least some of the Borg stuff was set properly.

It's still a deprecated mod though, so I can see why Cryptic forgot accidentally left it out.

Yeah, it's quite possible Cryptic didn't want to do the effort to put them in while being aware there was a total itemization rewrite coming. On the other hand it's not like sciboats have the slot yet on tribble.

Don't forget all the database updates (without breaking it) you would need to do to update all science classed boats for that slot. Probably had the idea of level 60 and the t6 ships on the planning table shortly after release. OR, they just did the dyson ships similar to the current item upgrade thing. Just toss it out there and see how it works and received. The question I guess is do the t5u science ships have it. I suppose I could log on and check tomorrow. Or perhaps part of the unique t6 stuff along with the abilities.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Asimo posted:

STO in its entirely, and will never be anything but this.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Hey.

The voice acting is amazing. :patriot:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
IF anyone didn't get your "Hang on to yo Butts" token(s), let you-know-who know now and more will be distributed in the mail.

When the update hits, use it and, per the item description, you'll get Level 60 and MkXIV upgrades on your currently equipped items only. So get as many tokens as you have fitouts & ships.

Reminders:

Do not use the item before the update.

Do not use with mk infinity gear that you want to keep.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
After being away for a few years, I have to admit, the cut scenes are much less broken than when they first came out and I haven't had a mission bug out so bad that it couldn't be completed on me yet. Also I am leveling like a fiend already in my 30s. I remember grinding my 20s forever.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Putting your cutting beam in the upgrade tab and not even doing anything to it will strip the [Damx3] attribute from it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

Putting your cutting beam in the upgrade tab and not even doing anything to it will strip the [Damx3] attribute from it.

So no real change in terms of effectiveness then.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

Hey.

The voice acting is amazing. :patriot:

To be fair the game does feature Leonard Nimoy.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Axe-man posted:

After being away for a few years, I have to admit, the cut scenes are much less broken than when they first came out and I haven't had a mission bug out so bad that it couldn't be completed on me yet. Also I am leveling like a fiend already in my 30s. I remember grinding my 20s forever.

There's a double xp event happening until DR launches which is probably helping with the leveling. You do level pretty quick in general though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't put my Aegis in the upgrader. Is there something different about it or just cryptic oversight?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Axe-man posted:

It's something I like about STO. There's no way I'd roll alts if the grinding was horrendous.

Also, I upgraded a split beam rifle which seems to have added a slight amount of DPS, but nothing else yet. I feel like with all the bugs I'm going to gently caress over my shiny new fleet / elite space gear.

IPCRESS posted:

IF anyone didn't get your "Hang on to yo Butts" token(s), let you-know-who know now and more will be distributed in the mail.

When the update hits, use it and, per the item description, you'll get Level 60 and MkXIV upgrades on your currently equipped items only. So get as many tokens as you have fitouts & ships.

Reminders:

Do not use the item before the update.

Do not use with mk infinity gear that you want to keep.

I'll take some tokens :v: : klonk@moralhazard98sa

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

g0del posted:

Yes, it's dil for every attempt. You're guaranteed to eventually get a rarity increase, but you're looking at several hundred thousand per item to get from purple to gold. And of course most items will pick a random modifier when upgraded. Hope you like spending tons of dil to add [DMG] to your weapons!

What exactly are the good and bad modifiers?

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
And now my piercing plasma rifle has no scope. :argh:

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Before I logged off last night I noticed that slotting the fleet ground shields in the upgrade slot stripped the ResB from it. With all the fuckups I found, I'm amazed that stuff like the upgraded piss beams went so well.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

poo poo, I plugged my fleet shield into the upgrader last night. I hope it didn't strip out ResA or ResB :/

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Acer Pilot posted:

poo poo, I plugged my fleet shield into the upgrader last night. I hope it didn't strip out ResA or ResB :/

Same.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, they're patching today. Hopefully it'll fix it? I dunno.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I just came back to this yesterday after not following STO at all for a few months, so I'm not sure what this is about, but I'll take it anyway.
I'm Groetgaffel@stukov961 in the game.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 26, 2014

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Edit: I'll actually log in this weekend and play.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 26, 2014

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

What exactly are the good and bad modifiers?

[dmg] is straight up poo poo because nearly everything is bonus damage to it's only adding 10% of gently caress all to your actual damage. [crth] is okay. For PVE [crtd] is the best, if you do PVP at all you want a mix one or two [acc] and then [crtd]. So [acc]x2 [crtd] on cannons or [acc] [crtd]x2 for beams since you got the nukara console to make up for the missing [acc].

Edit: Hey guys the less we talk about the tokens where pubbies can see the better. OPSEC dudes.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
The only time damage is really acceptable is on the Spiral Wave beams and that just because they have Accx2 already, you don't get a choice on their modifiers, and they have four modifiers at a purple ranking. With disruptor and phaser procs.

Also, they're Cardassian weapons and so they are inherently superior.

And seriously guys, what have we told you about poo poo on the leaks page. Don't discuss it here, don't discuss it in game, that poo poo doesn't exist. Clear up your posts for Christ's sake.

EDIT: Lagomorphic beat me to the punch. Still bears repeating.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Is there a good way to get free white boffs of various types? That seems to be the best way to get fleet credit in Dental, as far as I can tell; they're rarely filled.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

eriktown posted:

Is there a good way to get free white boffs of various types? That seems to be the best way to get fleet credit in Dental, as far as I can tell; they're rarely filled.

Reverse-grinding redundant blues/purples. Then sell any white boffs you can't use on the exchange.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

eriktown posted:

You mean doffs (as in duty officer as opposed to bridge officers). The easiest way to get those is off the exchange assuming you have EC to spend. You can also do the recruitment missions from the academy to get more. You can also grind any unneeded green down into 3 randoms whites as well. Also keep in mind that fleet donations will accept enemy faction doffs so don't worry about faction if you're getting them from alts or the exchange.

Edit: Also I wouldn't recommend grinding down blues or purples. Just sell them on the exchange and use the money to buy cheap greens to grind. There's usually shitloads of underpriced greens to buy and grind down.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Acer Pilot posted:

I just checked mine, and it still has all the mods (Adapt/Capx2/ResB) after upgrading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

eriktown posted:

You can get a few from the recruit doff missions at the academy, and you can break down greens. I think most other methods require dil or zen. When we had actual advancement projects to fill I used to buy them off the exchange, but I haven't bothered since we maxed everything.

Also, for anyone hoping to get rich off crafting, please be careful. STO pubbies apparently think that economics is something that happens to other people. In just about everything I checked last night, the cost of the raw materials for crafting was higher than the cost of the finished item, all based off exchange prices. In other words, right now it's cheaper to sell your mats on the exchange and then buy the finished item.

• Locked thread