Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

People who didn't like the new Godzilla and Pacific Rim also think Godzilla 98 was good.

The gas chambers are too good for you people.

Pacific Rim, like Prometheus, was good to look at, but just too stupid to be a good movie. New Godzilla was an unforgivable bait and switch. Godzilla 98 is amazing because it came out when I was 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pacific Rim didn't pretend to be anything other than stupid, and it worked very well. Prometheus wanted very hard to appear smart, and it wasn't.

I still liked Prometheus okay though.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pacific Rim didn't pretend to be anything other than stupid, and it worked very well.

It was ok, but I don't think it was nearly tongue-in-cheek enough to play off the funny side of the premis and not serious enough to be taken seriously. Like the sword at the end, that should have either been some dramatic super weapon or absolutely hilarious, and all I could think is "They had that the whole time? Why didn't they use it before?"

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Trent posted:

I'm sure the sequel will probably have Godzilla on the screen for 50+% of the movie like all the Michael Bay fans wanted and it will be terrible like they deserve.

If the new movie had followed an interesting character it wouldn't have received as much criticism as it had. Aaron Taylor Johnson's character was dull and his scene's dragged the movie down to a total halt. The biggest sin of this movie isn't even the lack of Godzilla, it's the lack of Bryan Cranston.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

muscles like this? posted:

Have you watched it recently? It is just a terrible movie. Like the constant "jokes" about people not being able to pronounce the main character's last name. Or the bizarre digs against Siskel and Ebert or how the only thing Vicki Lewis' character does in the entire movie is just ogle Matthew Broderick.

Everything about Godzilla 98 is rationally irritating. You've got headphone gags, people yakking on about Noo Yawk, a monster that changes size and speed depending on the shot, a military radar system that shows a pile of fish on the street using a giant fish icon, a female lead that does nothing but lie, steal, and smarm her way through the film (literally, she is an rear end in a top hat from start to finish), tossed in velociraptors, a "french guy is snooty about food" joke line, and it goes on like this.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Aggressive pricing posted:

It was ok, but I don't think it was nearly tongue-in-cheek enough to play off the funny side of the premis and not serious enough to be taken seriously. Like the sword at the end, that should have either been some dramatic super weapon or absolutely hilarious, and all I could think is "They had that the whole time? Why didn't they use it before?"

Couldn't be that the blood from those giant monsters is so corrosive that the majority of the weaponry used against them was bludgeoning or instantly-cauterising and the sword only got used when they were in space so the blood wouldn't poison the entire ocean, that'd just be too smart.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Pidmon posted:

Couldn't be that the blood from those giant monsters is so corrosive that the majority of the weaponry used against them was bludgeoning or instantly-cauterising and the sword only got used when they were in space so the blood wouldn't poison the entire ocean, that'd just be too smart.

Then why give it a sword in the first place? Why build the factories necessary to build a giant sword that could never be used in battle, unless, by some crazy unexpected circumstance, you end up in space, far enough away that the blood will burn up on re-entry or float away. Not loving likely.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Then why give it a sword in the first place? Why build the factories necessary to build a giant sword that could never be used in battle, unless, by some crazy unexpected circumstance, you end up in space, far enough away that the blood will burn up on re-entry or float away. Not loving likely.

Why build giant punchy robots in the first place? Because the governments of the world are run by eight year olds.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Japan actually just adds swords to everything they build.

The ones imported to the US have the sword disabled in firmware.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
They should have made the sword a lightsaber that completely drained the robot's power if it was used for more than a minute. No blood leaking out and a solid source of tension from using it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bippie Mishap posted:

Jesus you idiots nipples will show through a bra if they are erect.

This and also I thought soundstages were really cold, to counteract how hot the astonishingly bright lights get. Or maybe I'm just remembering that about Letterman's stage.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008

Prometheus.... just too stupid to be a good movie.

Oh you can gently caress yourself right now good sir.

So, I was rewatching the X-Men movies yesterday, and I forgot how much the progression of the first two depend on coincidence. For example, how did Sabretooth know where to find Wolverine in the beginning at the truck ambush (X-Men)? How did Magneto know to look for Rogue on the train (X-Men)? And how did Magneto find just where their jet would crash (X-2)? Still enjoy the movies well enough, just forgot how many "well, I guess it's convenient these two happen to be right where their powers are needed".

Also, watching the first Hobbit movie now, and there is something in the beginning that annoys me to no end. In the prologue, during the dragon attack on the mountain, Thorin spots the dragon and tells people to sound the alarm. Only problem, is his demeanor during these few seconds give the impression that a dragon is no big deal, like he was sounding the alarm for lightning storms or something "Oh, it's just a dragon". I'm no expert, but aren't dragons basically fantasy nuclear bombs? Seems like he'd be more concerned. He does become more concerned in a few seconds, once the fires start.

sulphix has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Sep 26, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sulphix posted:

So, I was rewatching the X-Men movies yesterday, and I forgot how much the progression of the first two depend on coincidence. For example, how did Sabretooth know where to find Wolverine in the beginning at the truck ambush (X-Men)? How did Magneto know to look for Rogue on the train (X-Men)? And how did Magneto find just where their jet would crash (X-2)? Still enjoy the movies well enough, just forgot how many "well, I guess it's convenient these two happen to be right where their powers are needed".

Also, watching the first Hobbit movie now, and there is something in the beginning that annoys me to no end. In the prologue, during the dragon attack on the mountain, Thorin spots the dragon and tells people to sound the alarm. Only problem, is his demeanor during these few seconds give the impression that a dragon is no big deal, like he was sounding the alarm for lightning storms or something "Oh, it's just a dragon". I'm no expert, but aren't dragons basically fantasy nuclear bombs? Seems like he'd be more concerned. He does become more concerned in a few seconds, once the fires start.

Sabertooth was not looking for Wolverine he was looking for Rogue. He helped build Cerebro I just assumed he a small one.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

...It was hilarious though? Sorry you didn't find it funny, but I burst out laughing at the "sword" button.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009

The sword was also just added to this specific version when Mako reassembled the Gipsy Danger. Also, they already have giant factories to build the Jagers, and it is their final attempt to fight the Kaijus before the funding is cut, so they go all in. In conclusion, Pacific Rim is the best film ever made.

I watched Source Code yesterday for the first time and I loved it. Very similar to Moon, because same director, one of those movies that introduce a strange concept step by step and (in my case) manage to have you wondering what is really going on for the first half or so. (spoilered just in case)What still irritated me was that they build this huge Source Code program and, apparently, actually believe that it's just a reconstruction of the last eight minutes of memory stored in the dying person's brain. Which makes no sense whatsoever because Jake Gyllenhaal has complete agency within this alleged memory, he can talk to people and leave the train etc, which cannot be part of the dead man's memory. But at some points the scientist guy actually refers to the whole thing as a parallel reality and tells the soldier that he can do whatever he wants. It's very inconsistent. Is the whole "just eight minutes" idea just a lie they tell him so he doesn't try to "change the future" and live happily ever after in his parallel reality? That would be absurdly cruel, if they knew that this is possible and still want to just delete his memory and keep using him.
As an aside, the whole concept and the reveal that Colter is just a consciousness in a machine reminded me of this very cool Promo video for SOMA, the next horror game by the people who made Amnesia.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

sulphix posted:

They made an Alien prequel about Jesus, nuff said.

bobkatt013 posted:

Sabertooth was not looking for Wolverine he was looking for Rogue. He helped build Cerebro I just assumed he a small one.

Magneto still would have needed a psychic to use it.

sicDaniel posted:

In conclusion, Pacific Rim is the best film ever made.

I'll never agree with this, but will admit part of what I didn't like was I didn't think it lived up to all the hype. Everyone said it was so awesome and I just saw a badly done Attack on Titan.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Mar 31, 2017

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008

They made an Alien prequel about Jesus, nuff said.

And it was about a billion times more interesting than the Alien sequels about aliens.

To pile onto Godzilla though. Perhaps the most annoying thing about the movie is how little of the cast we see outside the main dude. Have all these great actors (Cranston, Watanabe, Strathairn), but they're just kinda... there. Yeah, I get that a big thing of the movie is the futility of man's actions against nature. However, why even cast them in the first place if they just need warm bodies to stand around? Oh yeah, because Breaking Bad was big and the other two can provide exposition with their cool voices. I didn't mind that the movie spent lots of scenes on people, I just mind that it spent it on the wrong people doing uninteresting bullshit.

Still enjoy the movie overall though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

sulphix posted:

And it was about a billion times more interesting than the Alien sequels about aliens.

You seriously think Prometheus is more interesting and a better movie than Aliens?

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
No, first two are in league of their own, but it certainly is compared to Alien 3, Resurrection, and both AvPs. How easy it is to forget all those poo poo ones.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

sulphix posted:

No, first two are in league of their own, but it certainly is compared to Alien 3, Resurrection, and both AvPs. How easy it is to forget all those poo poo ones.

That's not exactly a high bar to set, though.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
No, but nevertheless that's where it was in 2012. I like 3 to an extent, but that one is a pretty mixed bag (can only watch it when watching other Alien movies, lovely on it's own). Alien is my favorite loving movie, Aliens is an awesome follow-up. Love Prometheus for how separate and different is from those Alien movies. The optimism and adventure present through the first 2/3 or so of the movie works nice to contrast against the horror and shittiness of what they've actually stumbled into. Outside of the horrible chemistry between the two scientists, I find everyone's presence in the movie thoroughly enjoyable. Michael Fassbender should really be in every movie, alongside Nic Cage.

Don't wanna derail this any more though. Feel like this could become a thread for CineD.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Yeah I think the two scientists that run away from something amazing and then inhale too much lighter gas in-between scenes are the biggest detractors. Once I rewatched it and tried to peel away from the 'not an Alien movie' mindset and ignored those two idiots, it's not too bad. I liked the pilots well enough, but I still had to stretch my imagination to compare them to the one in Alien. Fassbender going off on his own, sort of, was really good though. Hell, I didn't even mind the auto-surgery that much the second time around, implausible as it was.

I watched Alien 3 today actually, and I quite like it for what it is. I'm not sure about the ending or some of the motives of the characters, but it was an OK ending to the Alien trilogy. Sadly the CGI lets it down due to the new xeno form. Insurrection and AvP 1+2 are things I once saw in a fever dream.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

mng posted:

Yeah I think the two scientists that run away from something amazing and then inhale too much lighter gas in-between scenes are the biggest detractors.

Really? Not the part where they're running away from the giant ring and no one has the presence of mind to just step five feet to the side and let it roll on past them?

quote:

I watched Alien 3 today actually, and I quite like it for what it is. I'm not sure about the ending or some of the motives of the characters, but it was an OK ending to the Alien trilogy. Sadly the CGI lets it down due to the new xeno form. Insurrection and AvP 1+2 are things I once saw in a fever dream.
There's actually very little CGI in Alien 3 (as I learned from Xenomrph coming into one of these threads in the past and explaining this with his weird encyclopediac knowledge of all things Alien).

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

There's actually very little CGI in Alien 3 (as I learned from Xenomrph coming into one of these threads in the past and explaining this with his weird encyclopediac knowledge of all things Alien).

Yeah, but where it is used, it's very obvious. It looks like a cartoon or something.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Really? Not the part where they're running away from the giant ring and no one has the presence of mind to just step five feet to the side and let it roll on past them?

Well yeah, that seemed silly, but it wasn't really rolling in a straight line. Though I do hate that trope in general.
OK there are a lot of things wrong with the movie, I just want to put it on my 'eh, it's ok' list :(

The CGI is when the xeno has to show its four legs, I can't believe it would be possible to do it physically without it looking like two guys in a horse costume. But the up-close shots were excellent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sulphix posted:

Sabretooth actually has the ability to find Wolverine anywhere.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Seriously, I understand the gripes about the new Godzilla (even though I enjoyed it) but saying Godzilla 98 was better than it or Pacific Rim is just cutting your nose off to spite your face.

G-98 isn't better than 2014, but they average out to be pretty close. '98 doesn't have the pure awesome scenes 2014's Godzilla does, but it also doesn't flounder about with kids\families\Deep Human Drama\OHNOADOGISINPERIL

Pacific Rim was just too boring to even place. I honestly thought it was a three-hour movie, it was so dull.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Byzantine posted:

G-98 isn't better than 2014, but they average out to be pretty close. '98 doesn't have the pure awesome scenes 2014's Godzilla does, but it also doesn't flounder about with kids\families\Deep Human Drama\OHNOADOGISINPERIL

Instead it flounders with Matthew Brodrick's stupid romance and other "human" drama but done in a lovely lovely way.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I liked new Godzilla like I said, but I also rank Cloverfield as one of my favourite monster films. I'm scum, sub-human scum is the main point I'm trying to make.

Also if you didn't think Pacific Rim was tremendous fun you are dead inside. It had bo staff fighting, giant robots using ships as baseball bats, giant robots using shipping containers as knuckle dusters, and a three armed giant robot suplexing a monster. I don't think "it's a dumb movie therefore story doesn't matter" because it story does matter, but the film was a lot of fun to watch.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

EmmyOk posted:

I liked new Godzilla like I said, but I also rank Cloverfield as one of my favourite monster films. I'm scum, sub-human scum is the main point I'm trying to make.

That was hard to watch even with the Rifftrax.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

That was hard to watch even with the Rifftrax.

Sadly, yes. That movie was just needlessly long. I figured it was over when they bombed Madison Square Garden. Then a whole new final fight was tacked on (although I did think Godzilla went out a bit too easily in the sub scene).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Then the family drama with Godzilla's kids

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Godzilla was cool guys, sorry.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008

Novum posted:

Godzilla was cool guys, sorry.

Agree for the most part. Really looking forward to sequel, sounds ridiculous.

Rewatched some old Carpenter movies today. During Assault on Precinct 13, two cops in a squad car are rolling around looking for reported gunfire (the siege at the police station). At one point, they come across the street, with the police station. One of them complains that no matter where they look they can't find any incidents or gunfire. The other cop then promptly says they should not look down the street with the police station, because that's just an old station, nothing else down there. They drive elsewhere. As if someone getting shot couldn't happen at an old abandoned street.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

EmmyOk posted:

I feel the same way, but I think Cloverfield handled but the giant monster parts and the human drama leagues better than Godzilla.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

sulphix posted:

Agree for the most part. Really looking forward to sequel, sounds ridiculous.

Rewatched some old Carpenter movies today. During Assault on Precinct 13, two cops in a squad car are rolling around looking for reported gunfire (the siege at the police station). At one point, they come across the street, with the police station. One of them complains that no matter where they look they can't find any incidents or gunfire. The other cop then promptly says they should not look down the street with the police station, because that's just an old station, nothing else down there. They drive elsewhere. As if someone getting shot couldn't happen at an old abandoned street.

Assault on Precinct 13 is a good movie but man, so much of the plot can only happen because of a bunch of coincidences.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JT Smiley posted:

I feel the same way, but I think Cloverfield handled but the giant monster parts and the human drama leagues better than Godzilla.

Yeah that's quite true. Cloverfield would still work as a film regardless of what the disaster was. I'm just glad they chose monster.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
Robocop remake. When the company was testing Robocop vs. literal robot cop in the hostage scenario, the tester kept saying that Robocop would only be allowed in the states if he beat the machines. Wouldn't they have accomplished their goal of 'repeal anti-robot police laws' easier if they could have pointed out that robot cop was better than Robocop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murcor
Dec 1, 2007

It's a hell of a thing
The ending sequence of Skyline. Hyper advanced aliens come to earth to steal brains that they reprogram and stick into machinery? Ok, whatever I can roll with that, but at the end, when our main character gets his brain sucked out and plugged into a robot body he magically isn't reprogrammed and controls this brand new body just fine. Ignoring all that though, the real irritation is we are set up for what looks like a dramatic fight and rescue of our main characters but nope, roll credits.