Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

11 a side really. Really I just go in net cause no one else wants too :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Always rush out when there's a long ball behind your defenders. Never stay on your line. This is the most important thing in 11 vs 11.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

The obligatory goalkeeping tips:

http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com/

Seconding the importance of positioning, this has a good section on it.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Never ceases to amaze me how many goalkeepers there are in here

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Was wondering where they were hiding.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

It's loving impossible to find a keeper for a pick up game irl

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Insanely Sikh posted:

Americas true tradition :usa:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Soulex posted:

Americas true tradition :usa:

jbgoalkeeping is a great site. I use a lot of his stuff to teach my young keepers. The two best tips have already been written: be aggressive off your line and position yourself well when it doesn't make sense to come off your line.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Insanely Sikh posted:

Fat nerds hth

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

vulturesrow posted:

jbgoalkeeping is a great site. I use a lot of his stuff to teach my young keepers. The two best tips have already been written: be aggressive off your line and position yourself well when it doesn't make sense to come off your line.

That, and come to terms with the fact that you are going to get hit by people. You need to be OK with strikers attacking you if you are going to be aggressive, and if you aren't comfortable with that you won't be effective at all. Diving at people's feet irrespective of being kicked is a major part of the fun.

Enjoy your first concussion/broken bone :smith::hf::smith: (although if you suck it up, get back up and finish the game making some incredible saves enjoy not paying for any drinks that night, although you may not remember it :D)!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

If you are agile then look into positioning and technical stuff. If you are not very agile you need to be aggressive to make up for it.

Rush out like a maniac and scare the hell out of bitch rear end strikers. Dive at their feet and poo poo, and don't be afraid of ending the game with a nasty bruise or a black eye from time to time.

Also yell a lot at your defenders.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I won't be diving at feet in a pick up game. Also my first pick up game, I saw someone do that and saw someone break their knee. He had to go to the hospital really quick.

I'll definitely come out more though. I really hate saying this, but it's just a lot of guess work for me in terms of positioning sometimes. Especially since I'm not used to the distance between the posts and am always looking behind me.

Catching hurts like a mother fucker sometimes. But I do yell at defenders a lot. That's something I picked up on being one. If your keeper isn't communicating, he's poo poo.

Thanks for the advice though guys. Looking forward to this week :)

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

How the hell do you break a knee

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

How the hell do you break a knee

You can crack your kneecap.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Shrapnig posted:

You can crack your kneecap.

That sounds gross. I've broken my ankle keeping before, but I recommend diving at feet constantly as the only true way to keep. Mind you I only do that because I have no idea what I'm doing as a keeper but I'm pretty good at slide tackling fast tricky lads

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
My team is playing in the Div 1 Grand Final game this weekend - I've been so excited about it, even more than the AFL grand final which is the same weekend.

I just spoke with my coach after our final training session before the game, and I haven't made the team. I've been to sluggish and slow to react, and haven't played a full 90 minutes in months due to injury. I was injured in our first match of the year (I think it was actually my first post in this thread as well), and on my first game back collided with our rather large goalkeeper loving up my left knee. I narrowly avoided any ligament damage, but still haven't fully shaken off the twinge of tightness/weakness every now and then.

The coach felt pretty bad when he told me, and I know it's best for the team that I don't play, but gently caress. I'm really disappointed with my luck at the moment :(

The coach has put me down as a physio so I can sit on the bench with the rest of the team :unsmith:

Anyway, just wanted to vent. I really didn't expect to be this bummed out by it, but hey. I love the club.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Did PT with my unit today, scored a hat trick with another goal not counting because it was too far off the ground (like 6 inches). I attribute this mainly because they aren't too knowledgable on the sport.

I did score a goal from about 30 yards out, put my shirt over my head and ran around celebrating.

Gonna play again tonight with people that actually can play so I will be getting my rear end kicked.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Soulex posted:

Did PT with my unit today, scored a hat trick with another goal not counting because it was too far off the ground (like 6 inches). I attribute this mainly because they aren't too knowledgable on the sport.

I did score a goal from about 30 yards out, put my shirt over my head and ran around celebrating.

Gonna play again tonight with people that actually can play so I will be getting my rear end kicked.

The "on the ground" rule is pretty common when you don't have keepers.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. It was a toe poke from about 2 yards though. Not like I blasted it. Still felt good. Especially when you know people are like "aw poo poo this fat fucker is playing with robot legs and poo poo"

I ended up mixing it up and playing sweeper a bunch because no one was remotely trying to defend.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

who itt got furthest in the profession of football?

I'm poo poo.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

When I was 16 I was in the minors of my poo poo local club for 3 weeks. they kicked me out for smoking cigarettes and being late to training.

Wouldn't have made it anyway but still was a pretty "stupid teenager" thing to do.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

I'm poo poo.
http://www.ouafc.com/players/view/3167/Joseph-Edwards#/tab_statistics

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Nice stats.

I was in Bundesliga KreisKlasse (I think that's what it was called) but it's still very much small time.

I have 2-3 in laws that played for the under 18 Albanian National team. One went to England, couldn't get a work visa and ended up eating himself into a full blown Destro. One was on till recently. He was removed because he died :(

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

I'm poo poo.

Reserve team for a semi-pro club in the Eastern Counties. PDL in he US and participated in some combines for MLS/NASL/NPSL.

So also poo poo.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vinestalk posted:

PDL in he US and participated in some combines for MLS/NASL/NPSL.

So also poo poo.

Pretty much the same except never played PDL but played at a very high amateur level, had a trial with a USL2(was 3rd tier in the US) team years ago.

+1 to the poo poo pile.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Played a little college ball myself, if any ladies are reading

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Low level college then I quit.

poo poo, obviously.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

I'm poo poo.

Premier division in the largest adult league in Alabama
+1 poo poo

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The lowest division of my country's football pyramid. Basically a sunday/pub league.

I'm dogshit.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Division 1 local league futsal champion here

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I'm poo poo.

I played in the same teams as some international and Championship players in my late teens :smug:

I live in New Zealand :downs:

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Australian 7th division :smaug:

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Played at Virginia

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Recommendations on cheap keeper gloves? I keep getting asked to play keeper so I might as well get some gloves.

Took a shot right to the nuts yesterday too. Rain, wet ball, ball slipped through my hands and nailed me. Hurt so bad :(

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Soulex posted:

Recommendations on cheap keeper gloves? I keep getting asked to play keeper so I might as well get some gloves.

Took a shot right to the nuts yesterday too. Rain, wet ball, ball slipped through my hands and nailed me. Hurt so bad :(

How cheap

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

20-30 bucks?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
First match of the season for the teams I coach today. Went about how I expected. My U12s scored two quick goals and then I put some of my weaker players up front and they held out for a 2-1 win. My U15s got demolished. The team we played is easily the best in the league. The league commissioner did not do a good job of spreading out the talent across the teams and it showed. The one bright spot was our keeper but he only played the first half. We were only down 2-0 at the half and the coach (I'm the assistant for these guys) put in a different keeper who did not fare so well. To be fair, a lot of it had to do with defensive breakdowns. The coach I'm working with is really good but he likes playing a diamond back 4 which I hate. I'm going to see if I can convince him to play a flat back line . That said, I think we will do much better against the other teams in the league, the team we played is seriously good.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I can't decide what's a better feeling, coming back from down 5-2 at half to win 6-5, or watching the other team's keeper run up with less than a minute left to petulantly body-block our keeper and fall backwards into him in an attempt to draw a foul.

Either way, I'm satisfied

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Attention 3/4 of this thread...

Those black rubber pellets are giving goalies cancer (alleges this article)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

I've gotten those in my pants.

gently caress