Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
So is it worth testing/upgrading early or should I wait until they've unfuckered the system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

IPCRESS posted:

IF anyone didn't get your "Hang on to yo Butts" token(s), let you-know-who know now and more will be distributed in the mail.

Tokens? How interesting. @Ensalience

And is there any benefit to keeping Mk Infinity Gear as Mk Infinity if it stops scaling at lvl 50?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

alfheimwanderer posted:

And is there any benefit to keeping Mk Infinity Gear as Mk Infinity if it stops scaling at lvl 50?

Nah. Pop any mark infinity into the upgrader and it'll automatically convert to MkXII, often getting a bit of a boost in the process. That said, maybe wait a patch or two...

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Don't pop the Nukara console into the upgrader.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

Don't pop the Nukara console into the upgrader.

Funny story there...well, not so funny. Basically, too late for one of my chars, which is why I was asking. One other thing for my ROM - do I bother buying a T6 or fleet ship to upgrade, or respective to use Risian Cruiser?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

g0del posted:

You can get a few from the recruit doff missions at the academy, and you can break down greens. I think most other methods require dil or zen. When we had actual advancement projects to fill I used to buy them off the exchange, but I haven't bothered since we maxed everything.

Also, for anyone hoping to get rich off crafting, please be careful. STO pubbies apparently think that economics is something that happens to other people. In just about everything I checked last night, the cost of the raw materials for crafting was higher than the cost of the finished item, all based off exchange prices. In other words, right now it's cheaper to sell your mats on the exchange and then buy the finished item.

It's been this way for weeks, you are entirely reliant on getting lucky with your crits to turn a marginal profit, and even then you will never make enough to recoup the cost of dil spent fast tracking. The entire market is dominated by dorks who don't get sunk costs. There is money to made on the upgrade rush though, who knows how long that will last though.

Thronde posted:

So is it worth testing/upgrading early or should I wait until they've unfuckered the system?

I would just wait a week at this point. Grab your free poo poo for the event and just sit on it and wait for cryptic to fix some of the poo poo and for the pubbies to crash the tech market. It's not like you need mk xiii to do anything currently in the game and it takes no time to do so you don't need a three week head start.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Lagomorphic posted:

It's been this way for weeks, you are entirely reliant on getting lucky with your crits to turn a marginal profit, and even then you will never make enough to recoup the cost of dil spent fast tracking. The entire market is dominated by dorks who don't get sunk costs. There is money to made on the upgrade rush though, who knows how long that will last though.

This is exactly how T2 invention works in EVE, and pubbies still don't get it over there either. True story, a friend of mine's corp requires every potential recruit to adequately explain the concept of opportunity cost and provide relevant examples as part of their interview process.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lagomorphic posted:

Luckily I never expected to get the dil back - I only rushed beams because I was already halfway through 13 and the current bonus event made it a little cheaper. You're right about the sunk cost dorks, though. For a lot of the items I checked last night, even lucky crits wouldn't help. This system is going to bankrupt so many people once regular players start hitting level 15 crafting.

Lagomorphic posted:

I would just wait a week at this point. Grab your free poo poo for the event and just sit on it and wait for cryptic to fix some of the poo poo and for the pubbies to crash the tech market. It's not like you need mk xiii to do anything currently in the game and it takes no time to do so you don't need a three week head start.
Yeah, either wait or spend way too long trolling through the feedback threads on the official forums to find safe items to upgrade. Even once cryptic fixes the bugged item upgrades, you can't be sure that they'll fix all the old badly upgraded items. And if you want to make money right now, run STFs and sell the mats you get. Mat prices are going up thanks to all the people playing with the crafting system.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So hey, you know how for generic federation gear like, say, a Phaser Pistol, they're different in appearance and size as they go up in marks and quality and the Mk 1 looks like on the TV show and then the MK 9 is twice as big and the Purple Mk 11 is some obnoxious thing with holograms and poo poo? I wonder if you can upgrade the Mk 1 and keep the original look or if they change in appearance.

:spacebarbies:

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
I had to go digging for it in the bug report forums, but I found some small bit of information on what they plan to do about the gear hosed up by the upgrade system.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=19479521&postcount=3

CrypticFrost posted:

Kaiserkakto posted:

If its not fixable with a patch may be they could add a new NPC/console somewhere in-game and turn in the bugged gear and get the fixed gear?
These are the two options we are investigating from what I've heard. There should be a more officiall announcement once we've finalized things.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I am glad to see even after all these years, STO still releases content exactly how they have always done: SNAFU

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

MikeJF posted:

So hey, you know how for generic federation gear like, say, a Phaser Pistol, they're different in appearance and size as they go up in marks and quality and the Mk 1 looks like on the TV show and then the MK 9 is twice as big and the Purple Mk 11 is some obnoxious thing with holograms and poo poo? I wonder if you can upgrade the Mk 1 and keep the original look or if they change in appearance.

As far as I know, the answer is no.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
Hawk also mentioned that a full balance pass on weapon mods is in progress. Hopefully this will make [Dmg] something other than useless.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just a quick question- if I buy an Orion ship from the C-Store, does that mean I can buy Orion Slavers and put them on any ship on any character, or are they restricted to only Orion ships on the KDF side?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

KDF side, but any ship. Even klankroms.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

According to people on the STO forums who checked on tribble, the answer is no. The appearance changes as you upgrade the item.

Also, according to Hawk, the devs realize that the random added mod on upgrade sucks and they might in the future change that somehow. Which probably means that in two years we'll still be dealing with random mods and the only players with matched sets of gold mk xiv weapons with appropriate mods will be whales and players with wesley-level wealth.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

FrostyJones posted:

Hawk also mentioned that a full balance pass on weapon mods is in progress. Hopefully this will make [Dmg] something other than useless.

I'm torn between "thank god" and "I'll believe it when I see it."

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Asimo posted:

KDF side, but any ship. Even klankroms.

Thanks- guess I'll be rolling a klankrom this weekend then.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

Thanks- guess I'll be rolling a klankrom this weekend then.
They're not all that great anymore. They were never good for anything other than stealing stuff, and since that got nerfed there's nothing they're really good at anymore. If you want to use them because you love the way they look or something then go nuts, but don't expect them to ever pay back their cost by stealing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

I also wish I could scrape the Borg barnacles off my nice clean ship.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

eriktown posted:

I also wish I could scrape the Borg barnacles off my nice clean ship.

Disable visual effects on the console.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

One advantage of all of this is that it'll crash the dil-per-zen rate, at least. :v:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

MikeJF posted:

I wish ground weapons had a cosmetic slot or something because so may of the weapons in the game look like rear end at MkXII but have better looking lower mark versions.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Nessus posted:

One advantage of all of this is that it'll crash the dil-per-zen rate, at least. :v:
Yeah, it's already down to 163 and probably not stopping anytime soon.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

g0del posted:

You can get a few from the recruit doff missions at the academy, and you can break down greens. I think most other methods require dil or zen. When we had actual advancement projects to fill I used to buy them off the exchange, but I haven't bothered since we maxed everything.

Also, for anyone hoping to get rich off crafting, please be careful. STO pubbies apparently think that economics is something that happens to other people. In just about everything I checked last night, the cost of the raw materials for crafting was higher than the cost of the finished item, all based off exchange prices. In other words, right now it's cheaper to sell your mats on the exchange and then buy the finished item.

Good to see that even though I haven't played in a while, crafting has only changed in its mechanics, not its actual usefulness. Virtually everything you could craft under the old system sold for significantly less than the materials you needed to build it. There were brief periods when the antiproton beam array (or DBB, or DHC, or something) sold for more than it cost to make, but not by much, and it wasn't consistent. Of course, since the crafted items were also poo poo, there was basically no reason to ever do it. Hooray for consistency.

FrostyJones posted:

Balance adjustment, all weapon mods are now useless.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Asimo posted:

I wasted a couple thousand loving around with the freebies last night, but it sounds like I should cut that poo poo and become a space rich (er) when it hits rock bottom!

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Not My Leg posted:

Good to see that even though I haven't played in a while, crafting has only changed in its mechanics, not its actual usefulness. Virtually everything you could craft under the old system sold for significantly less than the materials you needed to build it. There were brief periods when the antiproton beam array (or DBB, or DHC, or something) sold for more than it cost to make, but not by much, and it wasn't consistent. Of course, since the crafted items were also poo poo, there was basically no reason to ever do it. Hooray for consistency.

Balance adjustment, all weapon mods are now useless.
It's not all poo poo anymore, there's a few legit good crafted items. But you should buy that stuff off the exchange until the pubbies all go broke figuring out why it's bad to sell things at a loss.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Everything about this early rollout is hilarious.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Cryptic/PWE/whatever their name is today: Beta testing on the release version since Wolf 359

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Remember it is still Star Trek Online Beta. When they release the game in a few years it will all be fixed, or is that more a cryptic :iceburn:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I just hope they can't do some massive rollback on upgrades. I said "gently caress it" and dumped a couple hundred thousand dil taking most of the gear on my main up a notch, and I'm stupid happy with the results. I just didn't do anything with stuff that has set bonuses, and had zero issues.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There won't be rollbacks.

That's way more effort than Cryptic is willing to put in. :v:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Asimo posted:

What's causing this?

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!

Baron Porkface posted:

What's causing this?

People selling the zen they've acquired over the last year or so to get hundreds of thousands of dil for their upgrades. And pubbies/economics being what they are, the price drops the more people rush to get the new hotness.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is considered an execptionally low price?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Baron Porkface posted:

What is considered an execptionally low price?

It's been months since it's been below 170. It was below 90 like a year and a half ago.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Axe-man posted:

Remember it is still Star Trek Online Beta. When they release the game in a few years it will all be fixed, or is that more a cryptic :iceburn:
Claiming that it's still in beta is just snark

Also, I hope everyone has 2.8 million dil saved up to upgrade a ship to all gold gear.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

g0del posted:

Claiming that it's still in beta is just snark

Also, I hope everyone has 2.8 million dil saved up to upgrade a ship to all gold gear.

I'm banking on boosters and other zen store/lockbox items to cut down on that number. Also, the experimental kits that we'll be able to make are supposed to increase the chance of rarity increase.

Edit:VV It's more like 6-8 kits for that 5 percent. Not wonderful numbers, but double the chance for the same dil, hopefully decreasing the number of kits you'll need by a few. The ultra rare particles you'll need to make the experimental kits are fairly cheap right now comparatively or will be easy to get through the goon pastime of poopsocking. The salvage is gotten from doing elite STFs, which we'll do anyway. Also, at level 15 beams I'm criting on practically every kit project I do.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 27, 2014

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

I'm banking on boosters and other zen store/lockbox items to cut down on that number. Also, the experimental kits that we'll be able to make are supposed to increase the chance of rarity increase.
Increasing the chance from 2.5% to 5% isn't that big of a deal, especially since the experimental kits require UR materials. And remember, you need to apply 18 kits just to get to get that 5% chance of an upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Insert name here posted:

I wish ground weapons had a cosmetic slot or something because so may of the weapons in the game look like rear end at MkXII but have better looking lower mark versions.

Yeah, it's really annoying the variants I want more are all MkI whites.

• Locked thread